Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

an actual dog posted:

Mismanagement so bad it also almost shut down the Hitman series

it's a goddamn miracle that IOI was allowed to walk out of that shitshow with their IP intact. Sadly it cost them a big chunk of their team but I'm glad they get to continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

I hope more B-tier studios can see the writing on the wall and take the initiative to self-publish before they're brought behind the barn also.
if EA or Zenimax or whatever big parent company you can name already owns the b-tier studio doesn't that preclude their agency to self-publish

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I hope more B-tier studios can see the writing on the wall and take the initiative to self-publish before they're brought behind the barn also.

This. Im not a huge fan of Hellblade but its a really good example of what all the IOs and such of the world should aspire to produce, i.e., shorter form independently distributed games without the "games as service" crap that dominates the upper tier of production

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I thought Hitman was dead?

e:

DLC Inc posted:

it's a goddamn miracle that IOI was allowed to walk out of that shitshow with their IP intact. Sadly it cost them a big chunk of their team but I'm glad they get to continue.

Oh cool, that’s great news

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mankind divided kills me because holy poo poo it's literally doing what they did for the lovely ios game, but for a $60 aaa big new entry

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Yeah I mean there's no sign as to when we might see more Hitman but i0i owns the IP and is independent now. Would have been an absolute shame, Hitman 2016 is incredible and I'd kill for a second season.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yeah I mean there's no sign as to when we might see more Hitman but i0i owns the IP and is independent now. Would have been an absolute shame, Hitman 2016 is incredible and I'd kill for a second season.

actually there was recently a very obvious sign

https://twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/916266380630134786

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

They specifically said that announcement on the 24th isn't season 2 but I hope it's cool

But yea there's been interviews where they straight up said "we're working on Season 2!" No official announcement yet tho.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

pyf places for Agent 47 to travel in season 2

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
every time i think about playing Hitman on PS4 i remember the load times and just sigh

also holy poo poo i just now learned about paradox's DLC scumminess and suddenly the $7 portrait pack for Tyranny makes sense, though now i'm super confused about why obsidian would get in bed with them at all

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Oh my god yes thank you

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

precision posted:

now i'm super confused about why obsidian would get in bed with them at all

Because no one else will fund the kind of game they wanted to make.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

an actual dog posted:

They specifically said that announcement on the 24th isn't season 2 but I hope it's cool

But yea there's been interviews where they straight up said "we're working on Season 2!" No official announcement yet tho.

Yeah it will probably be something smaller like the map variants of S1 but hell anything New would be awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I feel bad because I got all Hitman S1 for like 8 dollars due to a Gamestop pricing error and played it for 80 hours and I need to give them some moolah in appreciation

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

every time i think about playing Hitman on PS4 i remember the load times and just sigh

also holy poo poo i just now learned about paradox's DLC scumminess and suddenly the $7 portrait pack for Tyranny makes sense, though now i'm super confused about why obsidian would get in bed with them at all

I haven’t been paying attention, what did paradox do?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Ireland, Seattle, Switzerland, the moon

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Help Im Alive posted:

Washington DC

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Help Im Alive posted:

An exclusive furry convention.

Kowloon Walled City

The Abstergo game development offices, and he can kill his target by severing their link with their history man while they are synced, trapping them in the game forever

A moon base/space station.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

precision posted:

i get the feeling that since they’re catering to the specific niche market of “hardcore crpg fans” obsidian couldn’t be picky about what publisher they got

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

The best levels of season 1 were full of rich people you could kill in ironic ways, so like Harvard or San Francisco would be cool. I'd also like more small levels, cause as impressive as the big ones are a good focused level would be a good change of pace.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
City 17

al-azad
May 28, 2009

precision posted:

Unless PS4 Pro speeds up load times I find the game is one of the breeziest console titles of its quality. It certainly loads a level faster than RE7 or The Witcher 3.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Take out Agent 69 in Nice, France

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah Resident Evil 6 is a good mediocre game that I like, it hides a great combat system behind incredibly lovely level design and is balls to the wall insanity apart from the first half of Leon's campaign which is stupid boring and the bit most people would start with.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Andrast posted:

I haven’t been paying attention, what did paradox do?

their games all have literally hundreds of dollars worth of DLC and if you don't have like the $3 DLC that enables a certain religion your game will just end when your guy converts to that religion so the base game is like a demo

al-azad posted:

Unless PS4 Pro speeds up load times I find the game is one of the breeziest console titles of its quality. It certainly loads a level faster than RE7 or The Witcher 3.

Did they change something recently? When I tried to play Hitman last, the always-online stuff took absolutely ages, upwards of literally 5 minutes, to load a level, and that includes after dying or messing up

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

LawfulWaffle posted:

An exclusive furry convention.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Kowloon Walled City

LawfulWaffle posted:

The Abstergo game development offices

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i would like to see Basement Killing, Beldingford Manor, and A New Life remade though. good levels

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

your game will just end when your guy converts to that religion so the base game is like a demo

I don't think this can happen

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
An amusement park. Every game would be better with an amusement park level.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

precision posted:

their games all have literally hundreds of dollars worth of DLC and if you don't have like the $3 DLC that enables a certain religion your game will just end when your guy converts to that religion so the base game is like a demo

Did they change something recently? When I tried to play Hitman last, the always-online stuff took absolutely ages, upwards of literally 5 minutes, to load a level, and that includes after dying or messing up

They must have, I played the game Sunday and Paris loaded in about 30 seconds. I think bringing up the save menu actually took longer than getting into a level.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Pigbuster posted:

An amusement park. Every game would be better with an amusement park level.

oddium sighs and draws her katana

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

oddium posted:

Every time I tried to play Blood Money it would crash after finishing this level R.I.P.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

oddium posted:

now this, but a good hitman level

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Stexils posted:

i love really stupid weapons. what's the stupidest weapon a video game character uses?

Most of the weapons in bloodborne are real dumb but also cool.

Someone already mentioned Joachim from shadow hearts covenant, but there is also Frank from From The New World, a french guy who learned ninjutsu from a Japanese ninja clan situated in Brazil, who is basically a redo of Joachim and just finds random poo poo and then attaches a sword hilt to said random poo poo, with probably the funniest one being when he finds a mythical sword in the stone and just attaches a katana hilt to the sword's hilt and wields it like that.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

I think the target in that level might be the only target in a hitman game that I've ever felt sorry for and wishes you could get around killing

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

oddium posted:

Tutorial levels don't count

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh yeah Resident Evil 6 is a good mediocre game that I like, it hides a great combat system behind incredibly lovely level design and is balls to the wall insanity apart from the first half of Leon's campaign which is stupid boring and the bit most people would start with.
RE6 Mercenaries is legit some of the most fun in the entire franchise IMO. That combat system is just so good.

Like if I'm gonna be honest I'd much rather see RE8 focus on improving RE6 than RE7.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I think the target in that level might be the only target in a hitman game that I've ever felt sorry for and wishes you could get around killing

Yet he surrounds himself with a bunch of cartoony caricatures of gangstas so don't feel too bad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

an actual dog posted:

The best levels of season 1 were full of rich people you could kill in ironic ways, so like Harvard or San Francisco would be cool. I'd also like more small levels, cause as impressive as the big ones are a good focused level would be a good change of pace.

hitman in a college campus would be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know which is more eye-rollingly bad intro, The Shield's explosive poo poo burritos or the first guy you run across in Hitman Blood Money.

• Locked thread