Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Pre-ordered Shadespire today and got the collectors hero cards. I sure wish Games Workshop would pick a different manufacturing process for their cards. Card quality is nowhere near something like Fantasy Flight or Magic. Anyway, super excited about the game as it fits nicely into the amount of time I actually have to play GW games these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Is the shadespire rulebook out anywhere? I'd like to read the multiplayer rules specifically.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Booyah- posted:

Is the shadespire rulebook out anywhere? I'd like to read the multiplayer rules specifically.

Not yet. But GWs have their demo copies and you can go in and read it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, it is kind of silly, but they don't really explain it well either. Essentially, the leaders (Ghoul King, etc) have some sort of passive ability to enchant other ghouls, causing them to believe they aren't really monsters. Why does it happen? We don't know - they kind of need to flesh (heh heh) this out a bit.

This looks like a straight-up version of Lovecraft's "The Outsider," which is definitely a cool take on ghouls but doesn't really jive with much else in the old continuity.

It's cool, but the range would make more sense dressed in tattered finery and formal wear than in cannibal leftovers and loincloths.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

moths posted:

This looks like a straight-up version of Lovecraft's "The Outsider," which is definitely a cool take on ghouls but doesn't really jive with much else in the old continuity.

It's cool, but the range would make more sense dressed in tattered finery and formal wear than in cannibal leftovers and loincloths.

Well for more recent pop-culture, they probably take some inspiration from the Malkavian vampires of Vampire: the Masquerade. (A clan of vampires that are plagued with madness which can spread to other people.) Some of it's probably just Renfield stuff.

Aesthetically though, yeah they could do with new models to reflect the new direction. Tattered armour and corpse-heraldry would be awesome.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
There is now a Shadespire thread here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837620

Let me know if there is anything else that needs to be added to the OP.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Midig posted:

I have to say that I am disappointed in how the game has changed from a gameplay perspective. However, I am way more mad about the direction they take with the art. The way I see it Bretonnia has been switched out and it's not long until the same happens to HE and Empire models. I feel like I should buy Beastmen, Empire or HE packs before they start to cost a poo poo ton of money on ebay. I also always wanted to start with Ogre Kingdoms and they seem to be relevant for the game and new art direction so perhaps a good choice for me.
squatting has only ever happened to ranges that sell comically poorly, with lots of advanced warning and a big old last chance to buy sign on the GW website, usually following years of neglect in terms of both models and rules. and in the case of AoS anything that's had new fluff for the new setting is safe (most helves and AFAIK all Empire are written into some faction's lore).

Be more worried about individual units/models getting pruned, especially 'redundant' character models, although I don't think any compendium units are still being sold at this point so everything else is probably sticking around.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Saint Drogo posted:

squatting has only ever happened to ranges that sell comically poorly, with lots of advanced warning and a big old last chance to buy sign on the GW website, usually following years of neglect in terms of both models and rules. and in the case of AoS anything that's had new fluff for the new setting is safe (most helves and AFAIK all Empire are written into some faction's lore).

Be more worried about individual units/models getting pruned, especially 'redundant' character models, although I don't think any compendium units are still being sold at this point so everything else is probably sticking around.

What I mean by this is that the Empire, HE or Beastmen models are probably not going to get any further support and will slowly get off the shelves. Empire just like Bretonnia does not fit the new WoW artstyle. AoS goes in a different direction, one faction at the time, but it knows it cant completely throw half of the models under the bus right away. I just can't find any big similarity between an empire soldier and a Sigmarine, despite the fact that they both follow the same man. I definitely understand that Warhammer fantasy needed some changes to appeal to a new audience and to not bog us down for 5 hours with its tedious combat system, but I think they went a little too far with some changes. I finally decided on Bretonnia, don't even care if I can use them in GW in the near future. I just always wanted to paint them. The good thing is that I finally feel liberated enough to just pick up what I want to paint instead of building competitive lists.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Midig posted:

What I mean by this is that the Empire, HE or Beastmen models are probably not going to get any further support and will slowly get off the shelves. Empire just like Bretonnia does not fit the new WoW artstyle. AoS goes in a different direction, one faction at the time, but it knows it cant completely throw half of the models under the bus right away. I just can't find any big similarity between an empire soldier and a Sigmarine, despite the fact that they both follow the same man. I definitely understand that Warhammer fantasy needed some changes to appeal to a new audience and to not bog us down for 5 hours with its tedious combat system, but I think they went a little too far with some changes. I finally decided on Bretonnia, don't even care if I can use them in GW in the near future. I just always wanted to paint them. The good thing is that I finally feel liberated enough to just pick up what I want to paint instead of building competitive lists.

Considering that the latest release for AoS is a campaign system built around major cities, and the "freeguild" (empire) troops are both core to that fluff and also being packaged in the iconic box for at least one of them, I'm gonna have to disagree. Empire is here to stay.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Empire models have a pretty central place in AoS though, as the Freeguild. I know prevailing wisdom is GW wants to dump anything that isn't a space marine or a topknotted khorne nutter, but AoS really is just fantasy 9th at this point and squatting is no more or less likely than in WFB days.

Once you get away from stormcast (who in fairness are loving everywhere) most of the range is present and visually/tonally unchanged.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 16, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Meh, elvas are now a dozen stupid little factions, while the empire is spread out over 4 (free guild, devoted, arcane and arsenal) for no good reason.

Oh, yeah, freeguild is such an essential part of the fluff, doing stuff like

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

JcDent posted:

Oh, yeah, freeguild is such an essential part of the fluff, doing stuff like

Being depicted defending every major city in the setting, having a role in a good chunk of the Firestorm kits etc. While it won’t surprise me if they get an art/model rework someday they’re appearing in enough current products that I don’t see them being squatted any time soon.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Freeguild are pretty much the fancy imperial guard now, they get pushed more than the actual IG.

(again, still gently caress all relative to stormcasts)

e: otoh i'd be even more confident in their future if they didn't still have KF and STIRLAND written all over the studio models :effort:

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 16, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The faction thing is the biggest mistake in AoS, imo, because it horribly diluted faction identity. Slayers were a striking part of a Dwarf army. As their own faction, they look kind of weird and offputting. Skeletons being an entire army is kind of laughable. Having Skaven be either one clan or count as Generic Chaos is a weird decision for a faction that consolidated every form of treachery and weird science.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Splitting up armies into their own faction, like a depressing amount of AoS, has potential but it's being seriously squandered.

Take the Skaven clans for example. Splitting them up could allow for them to expand and allow you to build themed armies around their particular ratty hat. Want an army of mutants and monsters? Go Moulder. Want a crazy gunline army backed up by madcap experiments? Go Skyre. Hell we already saw this with the Eshin list back during Storm of Chaos, those varient lists they gave out were really popular.

The problem is they haven't expanded, and are probably gonna take their sweet time actually expanding. See also Flesh-Eaters, Bonesplitterz, Seraphon, built out of the bones of an old faction without adding anything new to make them unique and more flavourful to their new fluff.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Were savage orcs a real faction way back when?

Like with smallmarines, I won't buy any more until I see a new model released for the range.

Except for maybe getting a tank for allies.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Savages orcs got a theme list in the back of the book at most. they're way more prominent in AoS than they ever were in fantasy.

with the downside of that being their whole army is two plastic kits and their optional loudouts.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So just like FYRESLAYERS or the <faction that will never get a battletome>?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

SteelMentor posted:

Splitting up armies into their own faction, like a depressing amount of AoS, has potential but it's being seriously squandered.

Take the Skaven clans for example. Splitting them up could allow for them to expand and allow you to build themed armies around their particular ratty hat. Want an army of mutants and monsters? Go Moulder. Want a crazy gunline army backed up by madcap experiments? Go Skyre. Hell we already saw this with the Eshin list back during Storm of Chaos, those varient lists they gave out were really popular.

The problem is they haven't expanded, and are probably gonna take their sweet time actually expanding. See also Flesh-Eaters, Bonesplitterz, Seraphon, built out of the bones of an old faction without adding anything new to make them unique and more flavourful to their new fluff.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'd kill for the major Skaven clans to get the Death Guard or Space Wolves treatment. I just think not having a flat-out Skaven faction was a really silly omission, especially when other factions like Undead, Dwarves, and Empire were also split up in rather bland, lazy ways.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Saint Drogo posted:

Savages orcs got a theme list in the back of the book at most. they're way more prominent in AoS than they ever were in fantasy.

with the downside of that being their whole army is two plastic kits and their optional loudouts.

One upside though, making them weirdo Evangelical Monster Hunter Cavemen is a drat better take than kinda uncomfortable tribal Orcs.

It would've been nice for them to get something new, same with the aforementioned Flesh-Eaters and Seraphon.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Nifara posted:

Considering that the latest release for AoS is a campaign system built around major cities, and the "freeguild" (empire) troops are both core to that fluff and also being packaged in the iconic box for at least one of them, I'm gonna have to disagree. Empire is here to stay.

I am not 100 percent on the stats of what people collect. But they have removed some Empire and HE models already, two factions that if I am not mistaken have been one of the most popular ones until AoS (but CW might have hit the top in recent years). Cant find repeater bolt throwers, spearmen, silver helms or seaguard anymore on their website. As for Empire knights, I don't care too much about losing those. However, as I said, unless the Empire gets new models it is likely that they will be phased out. The empire is a classic and charming empire with a resemblance to the Holy Roman Empire.

The new art direction is over the top high fantasy and units with big shoulder pads, it's not just Sigmarines, they have been working towards that for some while now:

The direction they are going towards is pretty clear IMO. The Empire is not exactly compatible with that. It's soon the Tau of AoS.

Midig fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 16, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I agree with the faction decide thing. The fact you can't do a proper Dark Elf, High Elf, Skaven, or Empire army anymore kind of sucks.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

With the new allegiance abilities and allies rules you can certainly do Darkling Covens and Freeguild armies that can resemble that old stuff.

Also the goofy Empire outfits have been worked into the recent writing fairly well, though all the Karl Franz insignia on models is an issue

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Pure guess based on rumours floating around, but if the next major Order release is an elf faction, my guess is the disappearing elf units at least will get replaced with a loose equivalent that’s more in line with whatever aesthetic they’re going for.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, the city boxes and makeups come off as more of a 'clearing out old stock' than they do a 'these guys are here to stay'.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Midig posted:

I am not 100 percent on the stats of what people collect. But they have removed some Empire and HE models already, two factions that if I am not mistaken have been one of the most popular ones until AoS (but CW might have hit the top in recent years). Cant find repeater bolt throwers, spearmen, silver helms or seaguard anymore on their website. As for Empire knights, I don't care too much about losing those. However, as I said, unless the Empire gets new models it is likely that they will be phased out. The empire is a classic and charming empire with a resemblance to the Holy Roman Empire.

The new art direction is over the top high fantasy and units with big shoulder pads, it's not just Sigmarines, they have been working towards that for some while now:

The direction they are going towards is pretty clear IMO. The Empire is not exactly compatible with that. It's soon the Tau of AoS.

I agree with you that they are changing the aesthetic, but they're doing that in 40k as well. It is not a negative thing. Every company has to update their lines over time. As long as AoS is making money, they will eventually get around to re-releasing all the old factions as VerbNounNameGenerator factions. They've created a new faction (Sigmarines), and re-released two types of dwarves, orcs, and tree side of Wood elves. They'll get around to the rest over time. There really isn't any reason for them not to. Pretty clear when they re-release Empire it won't be a rehash of men in tights again as that really doesn't fit any sort of heroic aesthetic, but I wouldn't mind an updated look for them and see that as a good thing.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

How is that an "update" if we're pretty sure they're gonna ditch the Empire look entirely? The fluff is already dead, and if you remove the visuals, it's all gone entirely.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

One thing to have in mind that AoS is a Kirvy-era idea with Kirbian "lol, whatever, gently caress nerds" implementation that Roundtreeian GW has to build upon.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I can't wait for the narrative to have shifted to, "Look, when they started selling those city boxes with the old Empire models, everyone knew that was going to be the last chance to buy them and it's your own fault for not doing so then. They sold terribly and were never popular. No, GW has never provided any breakdown of sales like that for any of their product lines, but we can just know it because people keep repeating it."

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, the city boxes and makeups come off as more of a 'clearing out old stock' than they do a 'these guys are here to stay'.

I'd agree with this, it's a classic gw move

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

But empire and aelves are dumb

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Æmpire

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Æmpyre

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Midig posted:

That looks like it would break if I touched it too hard.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Welcome to Varanguard/Sylvaneth/Named Death Characters/Morghast/Flying Sigmarines...

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Mugaaz posted:

I agree with you that they are changing the aesthetic, but they're doing that in 40k as well. It is not a negative thing. Every company has to update their lines over time. As long as AoS is making money, they will eventually get around to re-releasing all the old factions as VerbNounNameGenerator factions. They've created a new faction (Sigmarines), and re-released two types of dwarves, orcs, and tree side of Wood elves. They'll get around to the rest over time. There really isn't any reason for them not to. Pretty clear when they re-release Empire it won't be a rehash of men in tights again as that really doesn't fit any sort of heroic aesthetic, but I wouldn't mind an updated look for them and see that as a good thing.

Except that 40k is a futuristic setting, which means that updating the models will make it cooler nine times out of ten whereas in fantasy the new look is detailed sure, but not giving off the same wibe. Take a look at what they did with the dwarfs and tell me that you want that loving poo poo to happen to the Empire. I regret not buying the old dwarf models when I could. I had to buy Bretonnia models on ebay a couple of days ago. If you want to get/expand an Empire army, now is the time to buy it in panic.

Midig fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 17, 2017

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

That looks like it would break if I touched it too hard.

It'll break if you look at it too hard. I should know, I've just finished painting mine.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Midig posted:

I regret not buying the old dwarf models when I could. I had to buy Bretonnia models on ebay a couple of days ago. If you want to get/expand an Empire army, now is the time to buy it in panic.

The old dwarf models are still available? Also taking the release of new boxes and rules for models as cue for panic about squatting seems kinda wild.

As someone who is still fairly new in Warhammer stuff all the speculation/anticipation of GW doing bad things is fun to watch though

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Basically WHFB went to poo poo the moment Nagash stopped being a clown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Danimo posted:

The old dwarf models are still available? Also taking the release of new boxes and rules for models as cue for panic about squatting seems kinda wild.

As someone who is still fairly new in Warhammer stuff all the speculation/anticipation of GW doing bad things is fun to watch though

Yeah the old Dwarven copters and cannons stuff are in the Ironweild Arsenal and the main units such as Ironbreakers are in the Dispossed faction. They're split much like the (A)Elves and the Or(uk)ks and other dumb names. My solution to getting the old school faction type rules is to either not play the game (most common) or assuming it's a friendly game, would be to just lump all the cool old school faction units together (e.g. All Skaven) and pick one of the clan rules and give the clan name to all of them, because really who gives a gently caress if the Skyre dude isn't best buds with Clan X any more.

• Locked thread