Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

sexpig by night posted:

yea the entire point of that school is 'with my horse I can't be stopped'. If they can justify it hell yea let them use their horses for whatever, because the times when they're off horse they become a lot less useful.

Also the image of some serious and honorable bushi using his horse like Yoshi rules.

That actually reminds me of one of the bigger rear end in a top hat GM stories I've seen. Think we were playing 2nd edition, and one of the players had a Shinjo samurai who was really awesome when he was mounted. So second battle we get into is near a bridge. Right after he charges someone, the GM was like "ninjas were hiding under the bridge and jump out" and had them cut down his horse. Like they totally ignored us and went directly for his mount. This didn't sit well at all with the dude playing the Shinjo at all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, I attended my FLGS's L5R tourney today, hoping to learn a little and see how popular it is in the area. Tourney wasn't big, but apparently the game's selling very well. Tourney was an only one core one (two decks of thirty, can use influence and roles, but can only use the cards from one core set), and I'm heading to a game night with friends, so I impulse bought one core set to play with and see about selling a friend on the game later tonight.

Tournament was three rounds and you had to use a different clan each round. Round one I had a bye and the tournament organizer played me to help me brush up on the rules. I used the recommended Phoenix/Dragon deck versus his three core Dragon deck, and predictably lost (or would have but the next round came before we finished). Second round, I used the same deck and had a mirror match, and lost. Third, I used the recommended Crab/Scorpion deck, versus a Unicorn/Crab player, and actually won.

Didn't make the top three, unsurprisingly, but it was still fun. And I got a promo Imperial Favor, Scorpion champion dude, and Hida Kisada, so that's pretty cool.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, I attended my FLGS's L5R tourney today, hoping to learn a little and see how popular it is in the area. Tourney wasn't big, but apparently the game's selling very well. Tourney was an only one core one (two decks of thirty, can use influence and roles, but can only use the cards from one core set), and I'm heading to a game night with friends, so I impulse bought one core set to play with and see about selling a friend on the game later tonight.

Tournament was three rounds and you had to use a different clan each round. Round one I had a bye and the tournament organizer played me to help me brush up on the rules. I used the recommended Phoenix/Dragon deck versus his three core Dragon deck, and predictably lost (or would have but the next round came before we finished). Second round, I used the same deck and had a mirror match, and lost. Third, I used the recommended Crab/Scorpion deck, versus a Unicorn/Crab player, and actually won.

Didn't make the top three, unsurprisingly, but it was still fun. And I got a promo Imperial Favor, Scorpion champion dude, and Hida Kisada, so that's pretty cool.

Sounds like you had at least 5 other players to play with at the store, so that's not too bad. Good luck selling your friend on the game.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

I went to a game con today and bought my second and third cores so i am officially part of the problem now.

Grats. How was the showing at the Con? Was there an event?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

PaybackJack posted:

Grats. How was the showing at the Con? Was there an event?

No event. it was a very small con, like 100 people. It was the first gaming con in this area probably ever

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaybackJack posted:

Sounds like you had at least 5 other players to play with at the store, so that's not too bad. Good luck selling your friend on the game.

I think it was at least six-eight players there, maybe nine, plus the organizer. Also at least one or two players in the area who couldn't make it apparently. So yeah.

No friends sold on the game yet, still working on that.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

alansmithee posted:

That actually reminds me of one of the bigger rear end in a top hat GM stories I've seen. Think we were playing 2nd edition, and one of the players had a Shinjo samurai who was really awesome when he was mounted. So second battle we get into is near a bridge. Right after he charges someone, the GM was like "ninjas were hiding under the bridge and jump out" and had them cut down his horse. Like they totally ignored us and went directly for his mount. This didn't sit well at all with the dude playing the Shinjo at all...

That GM was an rear end in a top hat but the story does remind me of my distaste for designs like nearly every Unicorn bushi school in L5R RPG history. They're commonly too swingy, with the character displaying awesome power with his horse and tofu-block shapeless uselessness without. This new School Ability is funny but I'd prefer something a little less potent, preferably then paired with a non-horse-dependent power to compensate. At least it's just the one School Ability, whereas past editions might see 3 or 4 of 5 Techniques hinge on horses.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SuperKlaus posted:

That GM was an rear end in a top hat but the story does remind me of my distaste for designs like nearly every Unicorn bushi school in L5R RPG history. They're commonly too swingy, with the character displaying awesome power with his horse and tofu-block shapeless uselessness without. This new School Ability is funny but I'd prefer something a little less potent, preferably then paired with a non-horse-dependent power to compensate. At least it's just the one School Ability, whereas past editions might see 3 or 4 of 5 Techniques hinge on horses.

Well, they have two horse-based abilities considering their Rank 6 one, which... Is even sillier than the school one really. It's kind of amazing:

quote:

I Will Always Return (Rank 6 Mastery Ability)
Once per game session, you may call out for your steed. At the beginning of the following round, your horse arrives, regardless of any barriers that might normally have prevented it from reaching your location. If your steed has recently been slain, its spirit will possess the closest horse to you and come to your aid regardless, such is its loyalty to you.

The Shinjo Outrider is so goofy.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I wish the colors were brighter on the cards. They are very dull.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

Well, they have two horse-based abilities considering their Rank 6 one, which... Is even sillier than the school one really. It's kind of amazing:

The Shinjo Outrider is so goofy.

That's a great "mythical" power, though, you have to admit. Especially if you're indoors and your horse just comes barreling through a barricaded door or something. Or slams through a solid wall like the Juggernaut.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Dick Burglar posted:

That's a great "mythical" power, though, you have to admit. Especially if you're indoors and your horse just comes barreling through a barricaded door or something. Or slams through a solid wall like the Juggernaut.

Or make an extremely large bet on a horse race and win every time

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
That sounds DISHONORABRU to me

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Dick Burglar posted:

That sounds DISHONORABRU to me

Unicorn are already only barely tolerated due to their dealings with filthy gaijin

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Quick rule clarification.

For Doji Gift Giver, if I bow an attacking character, their skill become 0 right?

I guess my confusion comes from whether a character is bowed when they are declared as attacker, or after the conflict.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Weissritter posted:

Quick rule clarification.

For Doji Gift Giver, if I bow an attacking character, their skill become 0 right?

I guess my confusion comes from whether a character is bowed when they are declared as attacker, or after the conflict.

Characters participating in a conflict are bowed at the resolution segment of that conflict. Bowed characters in a conflict itself retain their skill values, but don't contribute it to your total at the end of a conflict when determining who won. It's effectively 0, but for purposes of cards that compare versus it (i.e. Jade Tetsubo) their skill value is unchanged.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bussamove posted:

Characters participating in a conflict are bowed at the resolution segment of that conflict. Bowed characters in a conflict itself retain their skill values, but don't contribute it to your total at the end of a conflict when determining who won. It's effectively 0, but for purposes of cards that compare versus it (i.e. Jade Tetsubo) their skill value is unchanged.

Yup, Shoju doesn't instantly murder any bowed character with his ability for example.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

So basically a grandma forces an enemy champion to contribute nothing to a conflict because she gave them gifts?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Weissritter posted:

So basically a grandma forces an enemy champion to contribute nothing to a conflict because she gave them gifts?

Yup, they're busy refusing the gifts and shes busy asking them to accept them. That's why you need a chump to go with you to refuse/accept the gifts on his behalf.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Weissritter posted:

Etiquette is also a force more powerful than steel. Always bring protective courtiers.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Aramoro posted:

Yup, they're busy refusing the gifts and shes busy asking them to accept them. That's why you need a chump to go with you to refuse/accept the gifts on his behalf.

drat L5R is so good.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Aramoro posted:

Yeah I like the new L5R a lot more because it comes off as a worker placement game where you want extreme action economy compared to before where it was dudes killing stuff. It results in funny scenarios like this because worker placement is funny like that.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dick Burglar posted:

Oh no doubt the Rank 6 is excellent. If anything I'd call it weak compared to other Rank 6s, in terms of power. As a piece of flavor and fun it's standout excellent.

LCG players, how are things shaping up? Anything degenerate coming up in the meta? Any of the game's features being sidelined in competitive play? Particular question: what do you think of the honor bid dials? I was afraid the "fun strategy" of picking your bid size would get quickly snuffed out as people determined some bid is typically optimal. Particularly I wondered if people wouldn't instantly shoot to bidding 1 because the risk of giving your opponent honor for an honor win / letting him have honor to avoid a dishonor kill would be too big.

That's just one thing, though. Is there anything going on that, in your opinion, is running contrary to how the game was meant to be? Such as how in Conquest for the longest time nobody seriously used big flashy units?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

ProfessorCirno posted:

Fun thing I just noticed - some classes literally can't buy the things on their XP lists! I noticed it specifically with Shinjo Outrider; a number of kata and shuji on their XP lists are a level higher then they can actually purchase. I haven't checked other schools yet, but it's probable they've got it too.

Pretty sure that’s deliberate actually, and you can specifically take certain items early if they’re on the school list.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

What clans are folks splashing into Crab? I've only been able to play a handful of games since my sets just got here, so I'm still figuring out the fine details. Been messing with Lion for Sashimino and Vengeful Oathkeeper to keep up momentum and the counterattack aspect of the clan, but I'm not 100% pleased with it.

I do love my big blue bully boys though.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

SuperKlaus posted:

Oh no doubt the Rank 6 is excellent. If anything I'd call it weak compared to other Rank 6s, in terms of power. As a piece of flavor and fun it's standout excellent.

LCG players, how are things shaping up? Anything degenerate coming up in the meta? Any of the game's features being sidelined in competitive play? Particular question: what do you think of the honor bid dials? I was afraid the "fun strategy" of picking your bid size would get quickly snuffed out as people determined some bid is typically optimal. Particularly I wondered if people wouldn't instantly shoot to bidding 1 because the risk of giving your opponent honor for an honor win / letting him have honor to avoid a dishonor kill would be too big.

That's just one thing, though. Is there anything going on that, in your opinion, is running contrary to how the game was meant to be? Such as how in Conquest for the longest time nobody seriously used big flashy units?

So far it seems... really, really good?

The honor bids are complex and vary a lot between factions and between matchups. Your Crane bid strategy will be completely different vs. Lion and vs. Scorpion. Losing due to dishonor is absolutely a thing, but most of the effects that cause dishonor come from Conflict cards, so bidding 1v5 may put you ahead in honor but in no position to capitalize on that. Right now I think the one potential issue is that evenly-matched games can drag out for a long time because there are so few snowball effects, which may end up putting a lot of weight on a fair tiebreaker system to resolve tournament games.

There's an inherent value to having a lot of units, which makes Lion flood really good, but the Fate system offers huge efficiency for investing in a big dude and there are very few kill effects that bypass that. It may honestly be the best balancing system for high cost and low cost units that I've seen in a CCG.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

As others have said, they've done a pretty good job with having a diversity of strategy, lots of decisions points, and whatnot. Playing against different clans can really give you a vastly different experience, and there feels like few automatic decisions, especially after the first turn. Also, I've not heard of any particularly abusive decks, nor anything that warps gameplay like how some of the AGoT decks seem to be trending (or how Netrunner was getting, from what I understand).

That's actually I think a big part of the issue with gametime. Without as many autopilot decisions, you lose a lot of the natural shortcutting you may find in other games. And since it's really hard to just snowball, even games where you may have an overwhelming advantage will take time to close out just due to how the mechanics are set up (which also gives more of a chance for comebacks, making games play out longer).

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

You're going to see some salt about scout + way of the crab which is just really annoying but other than that seems good.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Aramoro posted:

You're going to see some salt about scout + way of the crab which is just really annoying but other than that seems good.

I loving love Eager Scout. Between Funeral Pyre, Steadfast Witchhunter, and Way of the Crab there are so many meatgrinders to throw him into to ruin other people's days. :getin:

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Invest all your fate in a single guy against Crab and you dug your own grave.

There are a few minor issues with the game, but it’s the most Eurogame L/CCG I’ve ever played.

Play style currently matters a lot more than deck lists, that will change as the card pool expands. I say play style because there are multiple ways to “correctly” play the same deck.

It’s a difficult game to explain strategy for, but I’m working on figuring some stuff out.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

HidaO-Win posted:

Invest all your fate in a single guy against Crab and you dug your own grave.

Its not just for taking out that one big guys, its amazing tempo control. If you go first and get a scout then you put your opponent in a bind about who they buy as you could instantly kill them.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Aramoro posted:

Its not just for taking out that one big guys, its amazing tempo control. If you go first and get a scout then you put your opponent in a bind about who they buy as you could instantly kill them.

This might not be what you're suggesting, but you can't play Events during the Dynasty phase.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Aramoro posted:

Similarly, your Lion's Pride Brawler is busy dragging their guy outside and slapping their poo poo with a fan.

Lion's Pride Brawler owns.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

admanb posted:

This might not be what you're suggesting, but you can't play Events during the Dynasty phase.

You absolutely can. There's specific FAQ regarding Way of the Crab and everything.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Bussamove posted:

You absolutely can. There's specific FAQ regarding Way of the Crab and everything.

This is correct. When playing against Crab you always want to lead with a chump that you haven't invested in.

Way of the Crab is my favorite card that I wish was Scorpion.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Lord of Hats posted:

Similarly, your Lion's Pride Brawler is busy dragging their guy outside and slapping their poo poo with a fan.

Lion's Pride Brawler owns.

Lion's Pride Brawler: "LISTEN UP, NERD

IT'S THE RANK 2 RPG ROUNDUP"

I'm conducting a review of the beta Techniques and using these forum posts as a way to focus and document. I wrote some words about Rank 1 previously. Now I look at Rank 2. How do the "realism"-bound kata fare against kiho and invocations here? I'm surprised, actually. It's even WORSE than I expected.

Rank 2 Kata: Crescent Moon style stapling a bonus Attack onto Guard/Center for the price of only one Op is quite strong, I'll grant you that. Iron Forest Style is a solid stunt too, but I'd point out that keeping a swordsman at Range 2 isn't much of a guarantee of safety with the various kata (like Iaijutsu) that attack at Range 2 out there. Lord Hida's Grip offers some status effect delivery but at the cost of all damage output. Lord Shiba's Selflessness is pretty cool, giving Phoenix bushi and only Phoenix bushi a taste of tactical tanking, but there's that "once per game session" limitation getting in the way. Reminds me of how grogs flipped out over Come And Get It in DnD 4e; "buh buh buh FIGHTERS can't use MIND CONTROL!" So now we gotta heavily limit the "taunt" mechanics to appease grogs. Sigh.

The remaining kata are of the same cloth as the Rank 1 Striking as [Element]. Spend Op when attacking with a relevant weapon to mess with someone's stance and Immobilize, or also deal strife damage, or do a crit easier than you could normally do a crit, or deal a bit of damage when you miss badly, or just deal more damage. Special note: the crit one sucks. Remember, any jackass can deal a crit for 2 Ops. This kata lets you crit for 1 Op against particular classes of target, and while you can crank the crit rating with more Ops, you are also compelled to be using a one-hand grip, which for katana at least means forfeiting 2 crit rating right off the bat. Wow.

That aside, though, that doesn't all sound so bad, does it? Dealing strife damage with bows is cool. Messing with a stance could be nice and it comes with maybe-no-saving-throw Immobilize, though it also requires you be using your fists. Which otherwise kind of suck. Well, what's the competition doing?

Rank 2 Kiho: Earth deals AoE Ring damage and causes Prone. Fire causes AoE Burning. These are actually pretty fair - bushi might be jealous at times of the AoE but it is party-unfriendly AoE. Water is also actually very fair, dealing Ring damage and Immobilize to one guy. However, Air gives the monk super-jumping that's just short of being flight. If you don't know how good and useful almost-flying is in all manner of combat and non-combat situations, I question if you've played RPGs before. Still, this isn't SO out of line. That almost-flight kiho has to deal with the annoying rules about repeat casts of kiho, for one thing. What was I complaining about?

Rank 2 Invocation: I was complaining about THIS. Kiho-user who already makes the kata-user jealous by almost flying, you're cute. I, the invocation-user, just straight up loving fly, and can bring my friends. Flight not enough? I can also walk through/on earth, metal, and water, in the former cases gaining some nice physical armor while I do it. Or I can just walk through loving anything and become straight-up immune to physical harm by turning into mist. Invisible mist, to boot. Maybe I'd rather gently caress with everyone else's movement. I'll do that by conjuring fog banks and fire walls or turning the entire battlefield witheringly hot (granted, there are party-friendliness issues here). And when I'm just looking for shits and giggles I can shapeshift to impersonate others, play with some neat anti-oni tricks, shield everyone against magical damage, or spread buffs among my allies and debuffs among my enemies.

Hey, well, at least the shugenja's not dealing any direct damage, right? He's doing incredibly flexible and useful stuff applicable to all manner of scenarios, but he isn't dealing direct damage...oh, wait, Earth Becomes Sky deals direct damage, at range, to multiple targets, that increases with spare successes and thus doesn't even suffer the usual downside of Ring-based damage, and has a status effect attached. poo poo.

If only RPG kata users had the power of LCG Lion's Pride Brawler. We can still correct this. Please write to the developers during this open beta.

I will be continuing to write to them with these findings. Of course, I will be changing the attitude of my presentation, and I beg you all to do the same. More flies with honey than vinegar and all that.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

admanb posted:

As the other guys have said you absolutely can, youre only not allowed to play attachments and peeps. When you get an opportunity to act you can either pay for a guy or take an action, such as Way of the Crab.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Two things I've noticed.

1) Range ain't poo poo. It is decidedly easy to reach your target even if you're melee, which only lowers the value of the already mediocre Iaijutsu kata.

2) The static difficulties work and stances are real weird because of, well, how static they are. Let's look at them, and also note the kata they have access to.

Early on, Fire and Air stances reign supreme. At Ring 3, skill 1, which is where you start out of chargen, you have ~70% chance to hit TN2. That means fire stance and air stance are huge; air stance absolutely butchers that, and Fire stance, well, does the opposite, albeit at risk. Earth stance suffers simply because you really don't have enough dice to be able to rely on opportunity. Water is kinda useful without being dominating, which is kinda where it sits, well, forever. By and large your kata here is Striking as ______; Iaijutsu ain't poo poo, Soaring Slice isn't terrible but is utility not workhorse, Warriors Resolve, well, we'll get to Void. But there's a disparity there too; Striking as Air is obscene at this level, making you an absolutely stunning evasion tank, whereas Striking as Fire is near pointless as, again, opportunity doesn't come cheap, and spending it on maybe critting next round is poor usage. Earth is great in spite of it's stance, and Water, well, continues to be useful without being dominating, which is gonna be a thing for Water.

That falls apart almost immediately. Even before rank 2, when you have even just skill 3 instead of skill 1, that changes dramatically. Now your chance to hit is more then 90%. Extra hits matter a lot, too, because they're added to your damage. Air gets weaker - TN3, while still a setback, isn't nearly as much of one. Striking as Air remains incredibly useful, mind you, as a lack of kept die can make you literally unhittable (once), though you are at this point very directly trading offense for temporary defense. Earth's use skyrockets, because now, well, there IS enough opportunity potential to make it more reliable, and now being immune to others spending opportunity against you is way more valuable. Once you look at kata, the general fire supremacy starts to look even worse, because Air don't get jack poo poo, Earth and Water get a bunch of status effects, and Fire shrugs and just auto-crits you with what is probably one of the best katas in the game, Heart Piercing Strike.

"Cirno what about Void?"

It's terrible right until it's not. Which means it's mostly ignorable, save specific situations, at which point it becomes super valuable. It's kata reflects this. Do not overly pour your XP into Void, but don't ignore it either.

So, my general thoughts: Right now, offense will generally beat defense, and there's no offense like Fire offense. Early on Air is strong, but it loses ground fast. Earth is tank and status effects, which fits really well I feel; you don't smash them down with one blow, you chip away and weaken them while rendering yourself unhurtable. Water is never amazing and never terrible; a good middle. Incidentally, the fact that offense scales so much faster then defense help ensure that Akodo are horrifying death machines that kill with a thought.

Also, it's worth mentioning that crits aren't everything outside of Heart Piercing Strike. Most bushi will probably be raising their Fitness as they go, because why on earth wouldn't you? Surprisingly very little raises your deadliness/threshold; the highest you get starting off is your DAISHO SAMURAI BLADES, which have Deadliness 7 when two handed. As a result, it's going to be very rare for your crits to do serious damage, again outside of Heart Piercing strike which allows a Lion to insta-gib you. And of course, there are disadvantages to using a katana, at least against enemies with, well, armor. In short, for most characters, you're probably better off using that opportunity on kata rather then crits, and focusing on using your wargear weapons to incapacitate enemies. The counter to this is Kakita, who can raise their weapon deadliness automatically as part of their school, and start off with the kata that...is terrible to use while trying to crit. loving god dammit Kakita, be good at something.

EDIT: this doesn't 100% represent your chances to explode your dice either, which, naturally, only makes offense better.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 18, 2017

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

ProfessorCirno posted:

Two things I've noticed.

1) Range ain't poo poo. It is decidedly easy to reach your target even if you're melee, which only lowers the value of the already mediocre Iaijutsu kata.

2) [the relative value of stances]

I think you're a little hard on Iaijutsu. The Range bonus could be handy and, with a katana, it basically reads "deal +3 damage." That's alright for Rank 1. Or, rather, it would be, if aforementioned Rank 1 kiho and invocations didn't do all the poo poo they do. Very curious how it sucks for delivering the crits that are necessary to actually kill, though.

I strongly suspected findings like yours on Rings/Stances would be true on my first pass and twigged to Fire Stance's bonus successes immediately. And Striking as Air - you noticed it can stack the TN bonus, right? You spoke as if it only ever boosts TN by 1.

I wrote to the devs expressing the concern that the overall packages each Ring offers (Ring-aligned Ops, Kata, Stances) would end up unbalanced, likely in Fire's favor, but lacked any studied details like yours to present at the time. Personally, even after reading your analysis, I feel things are not drastically out of control. Needing adjustment, yes, but not drastically out of control. Powerful offense as time goes on could be design intent, knowing that L5R RPG has been somewhat famous through the editions for lethality. My initial suggestion to the devs was new default Ring Ops that offered soft control on enemy Ring choices. Something like "Earth Op: if opponent uses Air next check, +1 TN," matching ones for vice versa and Water/Fire, and "Void: if opponent uses same Ring as his last check, +1 TN." What do you think of something like that as a correction mechanism for over-used Rings? There are a couple kata to that effect but I propose something more universal to coexist with those kata.

I'm a total broken record here but I hope you're presenting your quality criticism to the beta team. They are probably not reading this forum!

Final note: what the hell is up with the new rule that glorious Hanzo steel gets broken when it cuts armor? L5R is weeaboo and proud of it so what is this "realism" poo poo about our perfect thousand-folded ancestral blades doing here?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Bussamove posted:

What clans are folks splashing into Crab? I've only been able to play a handful of games since my sets just got here, so I'm still figuring out the fine details. Been messing with Lion for Sashimino and Vengeful Oathkeeper to keep up momentum and the counterattack aspect of the clan, but I'm not 100% pleased with it.

I do love my big blue bully boys though.

Unicorn. 3 Captive Audience, 2 spyglass.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Striking as Air scales to your opportunity, yeah, but something I noticed while looking at the die real early on is that it is substantially rare to get both a success and an opportunity - it only appears on the skill die, and it only appears once. Given how the roll + keep works, outside of Fire stance and it's ridiculous offense, that means taking opportunity can be a legit cost; if your enemy's TN is 3, and you have Ring 3, you literally cannot spend opportunity. Thus my statement that, later on, Striking as Air stays very useful for tanking, but starts to sap away at your offense, as you have to give up more and more hits (which can be used for extra damage) in exchange for opportunity to keep your defenses up.

I despise iaijutsu for it does close to nothing. You move two free movement bands at the start of your turn, and can add a third if you go to water stance. If they're still farther then that, you can always Charge. On top of that, iaijutsu's opportunity spending is hilarious, because it already just costs 1 opportunity to sheath your weapon. Iaijutsu actually makes that more expensive. And of course, you're adding +1 to your damage, but likewise losing that +2 to your deadliness, so your crits - the things Kakita are suposed to care about - are actually weaker.

And honestly, I like the Razor Sharp rules. It makes sure all bushi have more then one weapon and that those weapons get use. In ceremonial situations, of course, katana is best, because it's all you can really bring with you. But in an actual pitched battle, you've got the naginata as a great range 2 weapon, you've got the Crab weapons which are great at cracking armor, the zanbato is a fantastic all around workhorse weapon (and will probably be the favorite of many an Akodo Bushi) and of course there's the yumi and crossbow (at least for now when there's no reload rules) for range.

One last thing I will note is that, funny enough, right now, Lion reign supreme not only in skirmishes, but in duels. The best duelist school in the game right now is in fact the Ikoma bard due to their ability to manipulate strife, potentially dumping it all on you suddenly, allowing for an immediate finishing blow. And finishing blows are real weird too, because they either end the duel through immediate death or unconsciousness, or they...don't effect the duel at all, because, outside of the weird wooden sword duel, all duels end when you otherwise give them too many wounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Deviant posted:

Unicorn. 3 Captive Audience, 2 spyglass.

I like to splash Dragon into my Unicorn: 2 Tattooed Wanderer, 2 Let Go, and 2 Indomitable Will.