Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

It was good enough for Georgie!!!!!

The point of that line - "it was real enough for Georgie!" - is, of course, that Georgie's death wasn't real. The illusory bite was simply, merely, "real enough" to transport Georgie down into the watery realm.

"The hole in the wash basin thus functions as a secret passageway between the two totally disparate universes, the human one and the one of the fishes. This is true multiculturalism, this acknowledgement that the only way to pass to the Other's world is through what, in our world, appears as the poo poo exit, as the hole into the dark domain, excluded from our everyday reality, into which excrements disappear."
-Zizek

In other words, the bite is not real but Real:

"The Real is ... the hole itself, the gap which serves as the passage to a different ontological order - the topological hole or torsion which 'curves' the space of our reality so that we perceive/imagine excrements as disappearing into an alternative dimension".
-Zizek

Hence why the miniseries only shows the camera being pulled down, into an enormous mouth.

The main point here is that Georgie never died. Bill has actually killed his brother with the bolt pistol in order to do away with the guilt of losing him. The notion that this little kid isn't Georgie is only what Bill tells himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

no.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

The suit is black, NOT.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Again, IT does not kill; IT 'makes people float down here' - meaning that IT transports then into the alternate-dimension, water realm, that only few people have entered.

This is all clearly explained in the film, with both visuals and dialogue.

The Georgie at the end is not exactly Georgie, of course; it is the version of Georgie uploaded into the body of the alien Killer Klown. The child that Billy murders is effectively a 'transporter clone' of Georgie.

But the lingering question is why Bill found it necessary to blade-run the replicant. Why not love the clone as a brother? It's like killing Chappie.

The only answer is that this is a BAD END, where kids are taught to kill thy neighbour, because spiders cannot be empathized. "It's an ugly planet - a bug planet." A love beyond empathy is inconceivable.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 8, 2017

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
For a reality-altering alien entity that was born outside the macroverse before time began, IT is satisfied with an extremely moderate life. He's settled into a small town in America on a single planet, where he feeds for a couple of months every 27 years.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Pennywise, the bougie clown

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

End of Shoelace posted:

For a reality-altering alien entity that was born outside the macroverse before time began, IT is satisfied with an extremely moderate life. He's settled into a small town in America on a single planet, where he feeds for a couple of months every 27 years.

Sleeps a lot and wakes up only to eat...It lives the same way I did when I was severely depressed.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I would assume an infinite being has a lot of time to kill. Sleeping is a good way to pass the time. Ask anyone in jail and they'll tell you the same.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Fart City posted:

I'm telling you right now: if somebody put out a t-shirt of Pennywise's face in the vein of The Misfits' crimson ghost skull, using only black, white, and red in the palette, they would make a stupid amount of money.

LOOKIN AT YOU, HOT TOPIC.

YOU DICKS.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

BOYS GET THE CAR.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

You know, most of the time kids in trouble call for their parents. Georgie called for his brother.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Croisquessein posted:

You know, most of the time kids in trouble call for their parents. Georgie called for his brother.

Perhaps he called for his brother because he was subconsciously aware of the fact that he was doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing (talking to a stranger). Or maybe his parents are absent a lot and he relies more on his brother.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

This might be a dumb question, but what was up with Mike always holding his forearm? I first noticed it after he pulled the garage door open and thought he hurt his arm in the attack/wrenching it open. Then I noticed him doing it any time they were standing around.

Just a character tic, or had he been hurt by like, Bowers and co when they were holding him down earlier in the film?

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Again, IT does not kill; IT 'makes people float down here' - meaning that IT transports then into the alternate-dimension, water realm, that only few people have entered.

This is all clearly explained in the film, with both visuals and dialogue.

The Georgie at the end is not exactly Georgie, of course; it is the version of Georgie uploaded into the body of the alien Killer Klown. The child that Billy murders is effectively a 'transporter clone' of Georgie.

But the lingering question is why Bill found it necessary to blade-run the replicant. Why not love the clone as a brother? It's like killing Chappie.

The only answer is that this is a BAD END, where kids are taught to kill thy neighbour, because spiders cannot be empathized. "It's an ugly planet - a bug planet." A love beyond empathy is inconceivable.

This is an interesting look at the scene, because it assumes that the Georgie in the sewer is not being controlled by IT, an illusion or the creature itself. These facts don't probably matter that much anyway, because the more important thing to look at is the children's reaction at the new Georgie, whatever he/it might be.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

LadyPictureShow posted:

This might be a dumb question, but what was up with Mike always holding his forearm? I first noticed it after he pulled the garage door open and thought he hurt his arm in the attack/wrenching it open. Then I noticed him doing it any time they were standing around.

Just a character tic, or had he been hurt by like, Bowers and co when they were holding him down earlier in the film?

It’s common body language that suggests nervousness or a lack of self-confidence.

I used to do it all the time when I was a kid.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i never read the book or saw the original series before and i watched this last night, i thought it was good and pretty creepy, however i am certain that the being IT would have no power over me because i fear nothing, and would be capable of defeating it in 1v1 combat without a second thought.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

tbp posted:

i never read the book or saw the original series before and i watched this last night, i thought it was good and pretty creepy, however i am certain that the being IT would have no power over me because i fear nothing, and would be capable of defeating it in 1v1 combat without a second thought.

He'd still just kill you without friends to back you up.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

tbp posted:

I feel that way too, but in reality I couldn't beat Bill Skarsgard in a one on one.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You fools! If you dear nothing then It will simply take the form of nothing!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

tbp posted:

you might be able to beat a clown, but can you beat ... your dad?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

tbp posted:

It will come at you as Sallie Mae

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

It’s common body language that suggests nervousness or a lack of self-confidence.

i still do it lol

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

When It appears to me it looks like my pay stub.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

QuoProQuid posted:

That's what I figured, but I just wanted to make sure. I thought it was a cool little subtle detail.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Just saw the movie, I liked it. Good stuff.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Heeeeehhh I'm ambivalent about this remake.

Everything about The Losers was amazing, direction and photography were also top notch and goddamn those kids can act.

Everything about Pennywise was complete poo poo. I haven't seen overacting this bad since, huh, my last Sean Penn movie. Skarsgaard is all over the place, doesn't seem to know if he should be funny, creepy, downright scary or a combination of the three. When he tilts his head forward and does the mean stare he looks dumb as gently caress. He looks like an angry chipmunk.
Most interactions between him and the Losers seem either rushed or very cliché slasher flick stuff, with some of the CGI (Pennywise jumping out of things, the Leper) completely breaking immersion. He talks much less than Tim Curry did but when he does oh boy are his lines complete rubbish. Do you really have to spell out that "you need their sweet sweet fear" or literally say "feeeaaar" as you decompose and fall into the well?

All in all an ok movie, weirdly good-looking and elegant for the genre but also not scary in the least.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Hey, that's cool because the Leper wasn't CGI

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

GonSmithe posted:

Hey, that's cool because the Leper wasn't CGI

It looked like practical effects enhanced by CGI; either way it was very cheap and cartoonish to me

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The original it is complete trash. Curry is fun but that's it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If it weren't for Curry that poo poo would probably be looked at worse than the Langoliers miniseries.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If it weren't for Curry that poo poo would probably be looked at worse than the Langoliers miniseries.

Nah, the 1960 segments are pretty good, the kids are obviously giving it their all. The adult actors (bar Curry) are pretty badly phoning it in.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

The original it is complete trash. Curry is fun but that's it.

he's the better pennywise tho. and of course the only reason to watch it.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

let's not say things we can't take back.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Leper is just Javier Botet with some make-up.

He was also the Crooked Man in The Conjuring 2. Another creature a lot of people thought was CGI though it is somewhat understandable in that film since they played with the speed and frame rate to make him look like he was moving like a stop motion creature. Which made him look even more unreal.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 31, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Curry does a great old clown but a not so good interdimensional alien shapeshifting monster clown.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

Curry does a great old clown but a not so good interdimensional alien shapeshifting monster clown.

How do you know what an interdimensional alien shapeshifting monster clown is like?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Tim Curry in....The Krusty the Klown Story: Booze, Drugs, Guns, Lies, Blackmail and Laughter

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's bad but it's not THAT bad. It's not as good as The Night Flier.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SimonCat posted:

How do you know what an interdimensional alien shapeshifting monster clown is like?

It's not Tim Curry's clown

• Locked thread