Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I watched Fear Inc. as one of my Friday the 13th movies and thought it was pretty good. If you liked The Game, this movie is based on the same premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The episode of Mindhunter where they play the verse of Baker Street and cut it off before it goes back to the saxophone was INFURIATING

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
It's hilarious how every time they show the exterior shot of the FBI building there is machine gun fire in the background like it is a never ending war zone.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Tainen posted:

It's hilarious how every time they show the exterior shot of the FBI building there is machine gun fire in the background like it is a never ending war zone.

It's like the crow noise at the power plant in the Simpsons.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

The Panic in Needle Park is on Amazon Prime, and it's a 1971 approximate time capsule of the New York that Bob Dylan and Simon and Garfunkel sang about, complete with high ISO film grain. Al Pacino's super likable playing the male version of manic pixie dream girl.

It's also a fairly unsettling film as it centers around heroin addiction. Also, this is the role that got him the part of Michael Corleone.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Papa John Misty posted:

The episode of Mindhunter where they play the verse of Baker Street and cut it off before it goes back to the saxophone was INFURIATING

God that bugged me so much, possibly the most disturbing part of the show.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed The Babysitter - cool soundtrack, decently shot, some good gore. Sure it's nothing particularly deep or profound, but it's fun and doesn't outstay its welcome.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bardeh posted:

I enjoyed The Babysitter - cool soundtrack, decently shot, some good gore. Sure it's nothing particularly deep or profound, but it's fun and doesn't outstay its welcome.

I felt McG tried to hard with some of the style choices. Robbie Amell was fantastic.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just know that everytime you guys say Mindhunter,

I'm thinking MINDHORN.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA5njebTiZY

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I've been watching some Wings on Hulu and what the gently caress was going on with clothes in the 90s

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Erebus posted:

I've been watching some Wings on Hulu and what the gently caress was going on with clothes in the 90s

You can trace a lot of these 90s societal problems back to Reagan's defunding of community mental hospitals.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Sir Kodiak posted:

You can trace a lot of these 90s societal problems back to Reagan's defunding of community mental hospitals.

Hey I like to use that excuse for the increase in mass shootings.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Erebus posted:

I know, Joe's always dressed like such a douche.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
If you get Kanopy, I would not sleep on Barney Thomson, great actor's picture, great d.p.'s picture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N08oMrX0UMs

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Hey I like to use that excuse for the increase in mass shootings.

It's troubling. A lot of the time these outfits amount to suicide by fashion police.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Mindhorn was really strong and stayed funny till the end. the pacing felt a little inverted because i'm used to comedies getting boring by the end. I really liked it

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

Mindhorn was really strong and stayed funny till the end. the pacing felt a little inverted because i'm used to comedies getting boring by the end. I really liked it

Toast of London with Matt Berry next if you want more washed up actor comedy and ridiculous names

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
yaah, Toast of London is good fun. not always consistent and no garth marenghi...but what is?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm rewatching Twin Peaks on Netflix for the first time in 12 years, and after having watched the incredible new season. While there are certainly some moments of brilliance in the series, there are definitely some aspects that have aged really poorly. Of course all the silliness the show descended to in the middle of season 2, like Nadine gaining super strength and thinking she is 16, or everything with James.

But what really sticks out to me now if how they feel the need to actively use every single cast member in every single episode. Nobody can take a week off. So a lot of the time they just randomly pair townies with Agent Cooper on his stakeouts. Need to take a hike in the woods to investigate some creepy poo poo? Well, why not bring local fisherman Pete Martell. An undercover sting at the local brothel? Well, let's get the gas station owner involved for no apparent reason.

Also, they use the exact same 2 backing tracks in every single episode: Laura's theme, or Audrey Horne's theme.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Bardeh posted:

That's how I felt about it. I also liked Robbie Amell (that was the hunky shirtless guy, right?) hamming it up. It was a little goofy, funny and the run time kept it from dragging at all.

Some of the stuff in it kind of reminded me of Tucker and Dale vs Evil

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Patton Oswalt has a new special on Netflix in case you want to cry tears of burning sadness and belly laugh at the same time somehow.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ed: wrong thread

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Nihonniboku posted:

An undercover sting at the local brothel? Well, let's get the gas station owner involved for no apparent reason.

That one makes sense, because he was a member of their vigilante-ish group.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

fishtobaskets posted:

Patton Oswalt has a new special on Netflix in case you want to cry tears of burning sadness and belly laugh at the same time somehow.

I figured he was going to talk about his wife at some point but man that stuff about his daughter dealing with it. drat. :smith:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Papa John Misty posted:

The way the narrator speaks is unbearable. How the gently caress was that a successful podcast?

I tried watching an episode just now without even this bit of suggestion, but absolutely. Stilted and jarring as hell. Couldn't make it more than 15 minutes in.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
He speaks in the same way when guest starring on other podcasts. It's unbearable.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

fishtobaskets posted:

It's some of his best material since maybe his second album, I loved it.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Seconding Patton Oswalt, and also - THE BABYSITTER is a perfect halloween flick. Lots of fun, great for teens if ya got em.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Field Mousepad posted:

I figured he was going to talk about his wife at some point but man that stuff about his daughter dealing with it. drat. :smith:

it's not as laugh out loud as My Weakness Is Strong but it's super solid and that part was equally heartbreaking and hilarious

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Season 3 of Gotham, on Netflix, is an excellent return to form after the cringy season 2. They jettisoned most of their weaker cast members and gave the best ones more screen time, which means we see much more Harvey, who got shafted last season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Gotham is weird, its quality fluctuates wildly not only between but within seasons. It's good fun, someone else called it "grimcamp" which is the perfect word for it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I thought it was Crapshit.
Only thing worse is The Real Rob got NEW EPISODES?

On the other hand this is the season, the season for

Train
To
Busan!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

magnificent7 posted:

Seconding Patton Oswalt, and also - THE BABYSITTER is a perfect halloween flick. Lots of fun, great for teens if ya got em.

Might be good for early teens. Like, 14 at the oldest.

I thought it was wretched but of course I'm not the target audience.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Wheelman dropped on Netflix today and is getting some pretty insane reviews. Being compared to other great car chase films. Gonna watch this evening.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6hODbsUE7Y

Good write-up:
https://filmschoolrejects.com/wheelman-car-chase-films-netflix/

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 20, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Frank Grillo Frank Grillowns so I'm not surprised. Definitely gonna watch tonight.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh man I could totally go for a good car chase movie.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
God, I wish the Walter Hill movie 'The Driver' was somewhere on streaming right now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Long Shot is a great short documentary on Netflix

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Werner Herzog's Salt and Fire is great and on Netflix. The trailers don't really do its sense of humor justice, plus it's incredibly shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

Werner Herzog's Salt and Fire is great and on Netflix. The trailers don't really do its sense of humor justice, plus it's incredibly shot.

Oh poo poo yes, I am so on that.