Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

corn in the bible posted:

hitman in a college campus would be great

oh my god yes

drag that guy playing john mayer songs behind the bushes and steal his outfit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
21 Jump Street starring Agent 47

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I unironically think a hitman level set at a major convention of some kind would be pretty interesting, like a major gaming or whatever con where 47 is expected to dress up and sneak in weapons as prop weapons and maybe exchange fake ones for real ones to trick people into killing your target accidentally opera-mission style

al-azad posted:

Yet he surrounds himself with a bunch of cartoony caricatures of gangstas so don't feel too bad.

Not by his own choice iirc

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
$4.99

Exclusive outfit! Cosplay as Fessiroth at the San Diego Comic Con level!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

47 was described as antisocial and apathetic so frankly he would fit right in on a modern college campus. And the guy is a good listener so all the ladies would love him.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Wanna see 47's dead eyes staring out from under a Sonic-esque character costume

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

I don't think this can happen
your dude wouldn't convert, but if you died and the only heir was muslim somehow it would be a game over. to say that makes the base game a demo is real loving reductive though lmao, in a game about the crusades of course losing your country to islam is a failure state. and then they came out with the islam DLC which is a totally different way to play the game that dramatically expanded CK2

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Did you guys preorder the exclusive Asscreed Origin shoes? Now it's time for the exclusive Asscreed Origins headphones and holy poo poo they're 60k Ubisoft is insane

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

I think the target in that level might be the only target in a hitman game that I've ever felt sorry for and wishes you could get around killing

When I played Hitman 2016 I accidentally triggered Caruso begging for his life and it made me :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-oUDQh2Nb0&t=129s

Like drat, some of em threaten you and some of them say they'll pay you to leave them alone but this dude is just pathetic

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Imagine paying $60000 for headphones that still have the same build quality of a $100 headset

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
speaking of The Evil Within, i know it's impossible or incredibly unlikely because of dev times, but holy goddamn does TEW play almost identical to The Last of Us; the upgrade system, crafting/traps, the "stun bottle" tactic, the general focus on large arenas where you sneak around, there's even a chapter late in TEW that looks like a Last of Us level.

probably why TEW is one of my new favorite games

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm A-Okay with creating novelty goods that only truly wealthy people with too much free time like Kim Dotcom can afford. Was it Saint's Row IV that had a $100,000 car edition?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

speaking of The Evil Within, i know it's impossible or incredibly unlikely because of dev times, but holy goddamn does TEW play almost identical to The Last of Us; the upgrade system, crafting/traps, the "stun bottle" tactic, the general focus on large arenas where you sneak around, there's even a chapter late in TEW that looks like a Last of Us level.

probably why TEW is one of my new favorite games

The second game is even more like it! It made me happy too! :toot:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

does anyone actually like assassin's creed that much

I mean I know people play it because it's got TV ads but do big devoted Assassin's Creed Fans exist

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Set a Hitman at a gaming convention so there are several other Agent 47s running around

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

tap my mountain posted:

Imagine paying $60000 for headphones that still have the same build quality of a $100 headset

Imagine paying another $14,000 for a bronze bust of Ubi's memorable new protagonist so you have a place to put that headset.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

lets hang out posted:

I mean I know people play it because it's got TV ads but do big devoted Assassin's Creed Fans exist

It wouldn't be a (mostly) yearly franchise if people didn't like it.

Although Syndicate underperformed so the series is on the ropes. If Origins tanks they'll probably do some EA levels of restructuring.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lets hang out posted:

I literally see people with AssCreed tattoos and bumper stickers almost every single day. It's huge, or at least, it certainly was huge before they put out the Bad Games (3 and Unity, arguably others).

It's also a fairly unique game in a lot of ways. The amount of real life lore they put in is honestly impressive, even if most of its fans probably never read it. In some of the games the basic gameplay loop is crazy addictive (Black Flag, Syndicate).

So yeah it's pretty big.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Hey everybody, since we're talking about mediocre games that you like/don't like, I thought maybe I'd ask a question.

What's your favorite game that you realize is mediocre or otherwise not noteworthy or is outclassed by other games? Something that people generally shrug off but you enjoy it regardless? Why do you like that game?

For me, it'd be Torchlight 2. I enjoyed the first Torchlight a lot and I've noticed in the past year or so a lot of people dismissing 2 and saying that it is a bad game (or at least a very "meh" game). It has its flaws, sure (iirc, on higher difficulties you can get one-shotted by enemy critical hits with no way to get around it other than "be an engineer"), but I like the aesthetic and moddability and just running around with some friends and clicking on stuff to smash them until they explode.

There are other games I enjoy that are seen as being :mediocre: but I figure I'll just write about that one for now.

Freedom Force

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Freedom Force's difficulty is weirdly uneven. Later in the game a robot is sent from the future to kill you, except you reprogram him to be one of your party members and he's chill after that.

The robot uses radiation ranger attacks, which basically any enemy made of flesh is weak to. Most enemies tend to be made of flesh, but for the ones who aren't, don't worry because the robot gets a debuff whose sole function is to make the target WEAK TO EVERY ELEMENT IN THE GAME. He can also clone himself!

Freedom Force is loving dumb.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 17, 2017

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Was Dante's Inferno a good game? Because remembering it thanks to the Visceral news I realize I know about almost everything surrounding the game with the exception of the game itself.

Like how everyone was confused what exactly the marketing strategy for the game was.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Gonna x-post this game for the third time tonight lol because it really impressed me. Eat Me is a creepy text adventure that just came out where basically your only means of interacting with the world is eating stuff. It's free, short, and you can play it in your browser at the link -- there's no explicit blood and gore, everything you do is narrated in a well-written, flowery, fairy-tale style which only serves to make everything even more surreal. Really good spooky Halloween season stuff.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Was Dante's Inferno a good game? Because remembering it thanks to the Visceral news I realize I know about almost everything surrounding the game with the exception of the game itself.

Like how everyone was confused what exactly the marketing strategy for the game was.

was that the utterly generic and instantly forgotten beat em up knock off of god of war? because i think the verdict was: utterly generic and instantly forgotten beat em up knock off of god of war

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Cowcaster posted:

was that the utterly generic and instantly forgotten beat em up knock off of god of war? because i think the verdict was: utterly generic and instantly forgotten beat em up knock off of god of war

Yes and also I remembered another thing about it. Cleopatra was a boss and she was giant monster who summoned demon babies from her nipples to fight you.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Didn't the marketing team for Dante's Inferno do a bunch of stupid poo poo? Like... hiring people to pretend to be christian protesters, and sending reviewers boxes of meat or something?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Yes and also I remembered another thing about it. Cleopatra was a boss and she was giant monster who summoned demon babies from her nipples to fight you.

well reading that maybe they time stole DmC's schtick. call the time cops

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Olive! posted:

Didn't the marketing team for Dante's Inferno do a bunch of stupid poo poo? Like... hiring people to pretend to be christian protesters, and sending reviewers boxes of meat or something?
they did the 7 deadly sins, for greed they sent reviewers envelopes of money (not a joke)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Olive! posted:

They also sent reviewers money "for the sin of Greed"

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Oh sorry the raw meat was for Bulletstorm

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

One good thing I'll say about Torchlight 2 is that it lets you be a mage with a shotgun. There's no real benefit to doing it, but I appreciate the thought because gun mages are cool.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvCMXy6jrJ0

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Olive! posted:

This was during an era where EA wanted their studios to be specialized in certain genres and have a sense of individuality. So EA Redwood Shores got renamed Visceral games and marketing gurus got no oversight in trying to appeal to hip young audiences. Hence, the 'your mom hates Dead Space' and the fake Christian protest for Dante's Inferno.

Also, DICE got to be the wacky Swedish developer.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

EA realized that giving their studios identities was allowing power to decentralize and gave their labor force identities.

This is the Counter-Reformation

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Honestly this is one of my most hated video games of all time. Its one thing to make a generic hack n slash, but dragging someone else's literary work through the muck to do it rubs me the wrong way.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it is the pride and prejudice and zombies of video games

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Someone should take that Walden game someone made and add in some Doom monsters as a mod.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
fun fact: dante's inferno ends with a TO BE CONTINUED message

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

fun fact: dante's inferno ends with a TO BE CONTINUED message
well yeah its just inferno, you got built in trilogy potential there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember seeing just the very beginning of the animated version of that game and it had the main character jumping onto charon's boat and just murdering him before he even did anything and my thoughts were just "oh c'mon dude charon's not even a bad guy he's just doing his job as a boat man"

I wouldn't mind seeing more faithful adaptations of the divine comedy in game format even though they'd mainly just turn out to be adventure games/walking simulators where your buddy takes you on a guided tour where you get to see all your least favorite people are burning in hell and all your favorite people are off in heaven or, at least, climbing purgatory

• Locked thread