Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
CC doesn't break anything yet, it just bloats the file size on top of being paid mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Diving back into this for the first time in months, and I want to do a raider run via the whole Nuka-World thing. Any suggestions for mods that would be particularly suited for such a thing?

Nuka-WOrld raider feels weird imo but I'm a dummy good dude and can't play evil characters.

If you want to bypass a lot of the early game, you can do Start Me Up and set yourself at level 20-30 to be much closer to Nuka-world. I forget the name but there is also a mod that makes Preston/etc... dead in Concord so the Minutemen quests don't start if you want the Concord books/bobble head/stuff.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
The Ceration Club doesn't negatively affect the game as it is right now. Once you've downloaded F4, set it to no longer auto-update in Steam, then always launch the game using F4SE and you won't have to worry about it at all. The negative reviews aren't a reflection on F4, but a boycott/protest of the developer due to thir really poor choices in this matter.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm toying a bit with settlements now and I ran into a problem I had forgotten about; the game is seriously picky about where and how you can place things, made worse by how uneven the ground tends to be. Does Sim Settlements play nice with any "place anywhere" mods / is there any good solution to this?

Also same question but regarding scrapping corpses. I thought about setting up shop in the cool manor, but the ghoul corpses keep respawning awkwardly around the place and I can't get rid of 'em :saddowns:

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Your Computer posted:

Also same question but regarding scrapping corpses. I thought about setting up shop in the cool manor, but the ghoul corpses keep respawning awkwardly around the place and I can't get rid of 'em :saddowns:

Open console, click cursor on corpse, type 'disable' without quotes. Then type 'MarkForDelete' without quotes.

Just make sure you manually save beforehand in case you make a mistake.

Also, I always do it one object at a time, opening and closing the console, but I'm not sure if that's necessary.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Your Computer posted:

I'm toying a bit with settlements now and I ran into a problem I had forgotten about; the game is seriously picky about where and how you can place things, made worse by how uneven the ground tends to be. Does Sim Settlements play nice with any "place anywhere" mods / is there any good solution to this?

One of the nice features of Sim Settlements is that settlers don't actually need to be physically adjacent to their assigned object, so if they can't path to their house/job it doesn't affect gameplay. Most of the plots also have concrete/wood foundations so you can lift them out of the ground some and they won't appear to be floating.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Your Computer posted:

I'm toying a bit with settlements now and I ran into a problem I had forgotten about; the game is seriously picky about where and how you can place things, made worse by how uneven the ground tends to be.

Concrete foundations!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks :3: The Sim Settlements stuff isn't such a big problem (although I had some trouble placing the wooden support houses, maybe concrete works better?) but trying to build something for myself is really finicky. I tried patching up the manor a bit and had to give up since the game won't let you place stuff anywhere in that place and I can imagine trying to build a cool player house in general is gonna be frustrating with the limitations.

Basically I want to make a nice little (Sim) settlement with a custom built house for myself with crafting benches and stuff, a hub to return to after adventuring :shobon:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Your Computer posted:

Thanks :3: The Sim Settlements stuff isn't such a big problem (although I had some trouble placing the wooden support houses, maybe concrete works better?) but trying to build something for myself is really finicky. I tried patching up the manor a bit and had to give up since the game won't let you place stuff anywhere in that place and I can imagine trying to build a cool player house in general is gonna be frustrating with the limitations.

Basically I want to make a nice little (Sim) settlement with a custom built house for myself with crafting benches and stuff, a hub to return to after adventuring :shobon:

Use Sim Settlement for your NPCs and a basement for your own player home.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Your Computer posted:

although I had some trouble placing the wooden support houses, maybe concrete works better?)

Foundations are big concrete cubes that are allowed to clip into the ground, you're meant to use them as a base to make flat surfaces and build things on. Unfortunately, nowhere does it tell you that.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Basement living is pretty cool especially in survival mode so you don't have to turn back and go to an early settlement every time you explore a "dungeon" area. The Oberland Basement mod is pretty nifty too, reminds me of less cluttered Elianora homes.

Marlborough house is probably one of my favourites for "free homes". The cyber light apartments are pretty cool too if you like having a fancy surface house, they're 10k+ each to own though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Your Computer posted:

Does it require a lot of materials to do anything fun with it, or can you start making settlements pretty early in the game?
e: also are there any other (settlement) mods recommended to be used with it? I think I gotta get this mod, it looks like a lot of fun!

Eventually you're probably going to run through your initial stock of sensors, and extra ones will need crystal and fiber optics to craft. Those aren't easy to come by.

Then again, he's also dropped buyable sensors on a lot of the junk merchants in the game, so maybe it'll be easier to keep up.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

You start with something insane like 200 sensors, so at the time you run out it should be fairly easy to either buy or craft more.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Quasipox posted:

I finally upgraded my computer and I was content to just mod and replay New Vegas, but I found a really good deal on the F4 GOTY Edition and was looking into it. The Steam page has been bombed with negative reviews about the Creation Club, and I kind of understand the frustration there, but I'm unclear about the effect on modding as a whole. Does the CC break mods, and if so, what are the major caveats/warnings if I were to start down that path?

I've tried reading the reviews and looking online, but it's a lot of angry posting and not a ton of concrete information. Thanks for any help guys.

other than downloading all the files on the creation club automatically, even if you don't buy them, it doesn't do anything.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

turn off the TV posted:

You start with something insane like 200 sensors, so at the time you run out it should be fairly easy to either buy or craft more.

In my experience they are also free from vendors.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

So even if any extra weapons I install that say they are standalone and don't conflict with other weapon mods for the levelist, I should still merge them using the process in the OP, correct?

Or is it fine as long as they note they install like that?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

marshmallow creep posted:

In my experience they are also free from vendors.

Yeah, they're free from vendors. There's also an insanely expensive recipe for them in the robotics workbench for some reason.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Raygereio posted:

I honestly wouldn't hold my breath.
We'll have to wait and see what the thing will actually look like. But from what Tannin has been saying Vortex is going to be basically NMM 2.0 with a more polished UI. It's going to use NTFS symlinks which aren't as flexible as the vfs Tannin developed for MO and there's been a lot of talk about how MO was "too complex" and "required users to read a readme".

I'm not holding my breath but goddamn I wish Tannin hadn't just dropped MO2 development as soon as he got the offer from Nexus. I know software development is hard and there's all sorts of legal problems inherent to developing two products that do the same thing and function wildly differently, but gently caress could he have at least fixed the most major bugs in MO2 first?

horse mans posted:

I have no idea what the community fork of MO2 is but I've been using the github release of MO2 for fallout 4 for a year without the slightest issue. If you provide some details I might be able to help pin down your issues.

The github fork owned/maintainedish by LePresidente. The latest version I recall seeing (2.0.8.3) has some major memory allocation issues that are as-yet unfixed and aren't present in 2.0.8.1.

I may reinstall F4 and use MO2 again sometime soon, I don't know. It's just endlessly frustrating, dealing with bugs like needing to close and reopen MO2 after using F4Edit to modify anything {2.0.8.1) or having to set an actual timer to close F4 and relaunch MO2 before the memory poo poo happens (2.0.8.3).

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Are there mods that make settlements less complicated and more straight forward? I kind of hated that part of the game but it'd be nice to do a few simple things to get a decent settlement going rather than meticulously placing parts.

Give Transfer Settlements a look. There's lot of pretty decent blueprints available, though many of them require a shitload of workshop item mods. There's a fair selection of vanilla/DLC-only blueprints as well.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Ffffuck! twice now I've lost loot because I put it in a container to come back for it, and the container respawned as soon as I walked away. What is this bullshit

dragonshardz posted:

I'm not holding my breath but goddamn I wish Tannin hadn't just dropped MO2 development as soon as he got the offer from Nexus. I know software development is hard and there's all sorts of legal problems inherent to developing two products that do the same thing and function wildly differently, but gently caress could he have at least fixed the most major bugs in MO2 first?

The github fork owned/maintainedish by LePresidente. The latest version I recall seeing (2.0.8.3) has some major memory allocation issues that are as-yet unfixed and aren't present in 2.0.8.1.

I may reinstall F4 and use MO2 again sometime soon, I don't know. It's just endlessly frustrating, dealing with bugs like needing to close and reopen MO2 after using F4Edit to modify anything {2.0.8.1) or having to set an actual timer to close F4 and relaunch MO2 before the memory poo poo happens (2.0.8.3).

Give Transfer Settlements a look. There's lot of pretty decent blueprints available, though many of them require a shitload of workshop item mods. There's a fair selection of vanilla/DLC-only blueprints as well.

I'm not too bothered by havung to close and restart MO2 between time playing, but what's the timer for? What does the memory allocation error do?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good mods that add more clothing/armor? I went through the first couple of hundred most endorsed ones on the nexus and literally all of it was "[X] but skimpy" or "[X] but recolored black" :sigh:

I know Bethesda games have always been known for the amount of lovely skimpy mods but I swear FO4 has the worst ratio of normal stuff to creepo stuff.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Your Computer posted:

Are there any good mods that add more clothing/armor? I went through the first couple of hundred most endorsed ones on the nexus and literally all of it was "[X] but skimpy" or "[X] but recolored black" :sigh:

I know Bethesda games have always been known for the amount of lovely skimpy mods but I swear FO4 has the worst ratio of normal stuff to creepo stuff.

The Mercenary Pack: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20088/

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Saint Sputnik posted:

Ffffuck! twice now I've lost loot because I put it in a container to come back for it, and the container respawned as soon as I walked away. What is this bullshit

I'm not too bothered by havung to close and restart MO2 between time playing, but what's the timer for? What does the memory allocation error do?

Basically after 2-4h of playing, MO2 will "run out" of memory in the background and cause your next loading screen or save to crash the game. So you have to set a timer to save, close F4, close and reopen MO2, then relaunch FO4 to bypass the bug.

SPEAKING OF BUGS!

I took the plunge and reinstalled FO4, and installed 2k face textures. Now everyone's faces are this awful poo-brown "I spent too long in the tanning bed" color which looks incredibly jank on white characters. I've tried some sort of batch script which is supposed to fix the issue - something to do with DDS files being the wrong size? - and turns out to do a grand total of fuckall. So...now what?

E: I don't have the "HD" texture pack installed because it's poo poo.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

dragonshardz posted:

Basically after 2-4h of playing, MO2 will "run out" of memory in the background and cause your next loading screen or save to crash the game. So you have to set a timer to save, close F4, close and reopen MO2, then relaunch FO4 to bypass the bug.

My game has been crashing and I had no idea why, but I assumed it was a mod causing it. My game will completely lock up and I can alt-tab, but can't see any windows except the game. I was going crazy trying to figure out what caused it, but I guess this is my answer.

blackcat12951
Oct 23, 2012

HELLCAT BESTCAT

Doctor Rope

Your Computer posted:

This is a great armor/clothes mod. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22431/

Also try place everywhere, should help with the settlement placement issues you were having. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9424/

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Quasipox posted:

My game has been crashing and I had no idea why, but I assumed it was a mod causing it. My game will completely lock up and I can alt-tab, but can't see any windows except the game. I was going crazy trying to figure out what caused it, but I guess this is my answer.

Yup that's the exact behavior of the MO2 v2.0.8.3 memory bug. If you go back to 2.0.8.1 the bug doesn't happen.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
I'm using a pre-fork version of MO2 and I'm having what I have to assume is some kind of memory issue, because it only kicks in after I've been playing for a few hours and seems to get worse when I use my (presumably resource-intensive) VTO. The first thing that happens is that Horizon's ammo swapping script stops working for weapons I've had stored, sometimes I get horrific lag after aggroing an enemy and eventually objects stop loading in properly. Can't tell you how many times I've stood smack dab in the middle of Egret Tours Marina and just watched it sloooooowly pop into existence. Closing and restarting the game fixes everything.

Does that sound familiar to anyone? I'm gonna try disabling the VTO entirely now that I'm on a new playthrough that doesn't have a shitload of things stored in it, but I figured I might as well ask.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Your Computer posted:

Psst.

Check like two or three posts down from the OP.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

http://www.loverslab.com/files/category/150-armor-clothing/ here, you can (s)wear more.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Terrorforge posted:

I'm using a pre-fork version of MO2 and I'm having what I have to assume is some kind of memory issue, because it only kicks in after I've been playing for a few hours and seems to get worse when I use my (presumably resource-intensive) VTO. The first thing that happens is that Horizon's ammo swapping script stops working for weapons I've had stored, sometimes I get horrific lag after aggroing an enemy and eventually objects stop loading in properly. Can't tell you how many times I've stood smack dab in the middle of Egret Tours Marina and just watched it sloooooowly pop into existence. Closing and restarting the game fixes everything.

Does that sound familiar to anyone? I'm gonna try disabling the VTO entirely now that I'm on a new playthrough that doesn't have a shitload of things stored in it, but I figured I might as well ask.

I recommend updating to post-fork v2.0.8.1 - it's the most stable version I've used so far.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

blackcat12951 posted:

This is a great armor/clothes mod. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22431/

Also try place everywhere, should help with the settlement placement issues you were having. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9424/
Thanks!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Psst.

Check like two or three posts down from the OP.
Oh, thanks :doh: I looked at the first couple of posts since I remembered there being a list of mods in the OP but I guess I didn't scroll far enough down for the updated list.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Saint Sputnik posted:

Ffffuck! twice now I've lost loot because I put it in a container to come back for it, and the container respawned as soon as I walked away. What is this bullshit?

Salvage beacons?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Saint Sputnik posted:

I can't remember if there's any dependable common non-respawning containers in FO4; I know if FO3 and New Vegas, some dumpsters and (I think) all Nuka-Cola machines were safe - I used to load a shitload of junk into the dumpsters by the Goodsprings store, and just courier it all over to Novac as soon as I had the motel room.

4? Sheeeeeit. Some will respawn, some never spawn ever, some will spawn originally and once emptied never respawn... my first FO4 run, the dlearer and bodyguard corpses by Drumlin Diner not only never despawned, but they'd keep respawning the loot. :10 bux: forever!

But yeah, Salvage Beacons sounds like a solution, or just trudging along until you get to a safe dump site, or waving down a passing provisioner, or whatever... are there any mods like the one for Stalker: Call of Chernobyl that let you throw dwn a backpack as a temporary stash?

As for someone else's comment about clothing, dig we must, but there's some good things hidden away amongst the booty shorts, naked-wth-metal-bits-and-a-big-rusty-chain-for-buttfloss, and other loving :ughh: items. Some are just retextures and such of vanilla, some are modded enough to be a seperate item, and some do appear to be new things... it's just the slogging through the Abhorrent & Fuckingperv catalog to get to 'em.

I'm still downloading a selection of mods for my next run, and there's a bunch of clothes and armor to try and wedge in, to my taste. (All vanilla, no CBBE or Bodyslide need apply.) Gonna actually try wearing different things for looks, and not just "BEST STATS 24/7" as usual.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

dragonshardz posted:

I recommend updating to post-fork v2.0.8.1 - it's the most stable version I've used so far.

How risky/complicated is the update process? I don't wanna screw my setup to avoid having to take a break every two hours.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

are there any mods like the one for Stalker: Call of Chernobyl that let you throw dwn a backpack as a temporary stash?

There was an excellent one of these for New Vegas and I've been hoping one would come out for FO4 since release day but alas, all I can find is +carryweight.

Also I guess this thing which isn't what we wanr, but at least has some cute features like a functional lantern hanging off it.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

In my current game, everytime I recruit a companion I add 100 to my carryweight. Actually having a small army following me everywhere would totally break the game, but there isn't any reason you shouldn't have your B-team following behind, looting everything not tied down. Since that isn't possible, I abstract it with some extra carryweight. I figure after the first 150 lbs everything you pickup is vendor trash or spare parts, what does it matter whether it's in my inventory, my companions', or on it's way back to a settlement? Either way you aren't going to look at it again until you get back to you base of operations. Saves some time with inventory management and trying to get Dogmeat to not run away from you every time you want to trade.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Nevets posted:

trying to get Dogmeat to not run away from you every time you want to trade.

This is the worst thing. However, it's balanced out by him pulling out a teddy bear and playing with it in the background of many conversations with people.

Also, I'm actually impressed that it took until I rescued Nick Valentine and checked out the house in town that Dogmeat became "Dogmeat" and not just "Dog", because I somehow skipped over the bit with Mama Murphy where she says the dog's name, so my character didn't actually know it. It's a level of consistency that I wasn't expecting from this game.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah, but how does he know dogmeat? What adventures of the dog do we not see?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Terrorforge posted:

How risky/complicated is the update process? I don't wanna screw my setup to avoid having to take a break every two hours.

Not super risky, but I'd install the new version separately and copy over your mods/settings just to be safe.

Also don't bother with the profile poo poo if you are now, trying to set it anywhere but your %appdata% breaks MO2 unles you do some sumlink fuckery at which point it's better to just use the portable option.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

hup posted:

Yeah, but how does he know dogmeat? What adventures of the dog do we not see?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgGKSjiw0HQ

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I gave in.
instead of using cbbe for its usual porpoise; making everything fit my normal human body, I decided that all raiders will use absurd meshes. lets get stupid physics in as well. Yay.

so, for those of you still weighed down, I suggest Be Mobile Workshop. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14966/
you can ignore scrapping everything in your path and so on, as its appeal to you is being (only in power armour, for some reason), able to pop open an invisible workshop chest, and dumping everything into there.

When I start a new Game, one of the first things I do is head over to spectacle island, as that's usually my base.
I just tried this mod : https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26887/ its small, simple & gets me there.
bonus Power Armour at end.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18636/ I looked at this and thought, "oh, another weapon compilation, sweet," and hit download, then noticed the shuttles from Star Trek.
if the idea of a bunch of alternate dimensions opening and dumping stuff into post nuke boston appeals to you. go for it.

staberind fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
There is precedent.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Federation_Crash_Site