Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize Volcanion wasn't sent out online. It seemed like I got them all without having to go out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Countblanc posted:

You can definitely make physical Nidoking work, he has a few options to take advantage of Sheer Force, but it's just a much smaller movepool and a lot more predictable as a result.

the most powerful Bulldoze in the game today

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

the_steve posted:

Back in the GSC days, I always liked loading him up with the 3 elemental punches and Earthquake.
Of course, this was back when I foolishly assumed that Punches were physical damage. :downs:

Oh god, it wasn't only me. The physical/special split was a godsend not because it nerfed or buffed mons but because it made those foolish mistakes into something proper.

Seriously, it was dumb how physical moves did not include literally punching people (with powers, but still, punching) but did include shooting balls made of literal shadows without anything physical.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh god, it wasn't only me. The physical/special split was a godsend not because it nerfed or buffed mons but because it made those foolish mistakes into something proper.

Seriously, it was dumb how physical moves did not include literally punching people (with powers, but still, punching) but did include shooting balls made of literal shadows without anything physical.

I spent longer than I care to admit wondering why my Jolteon always did poo poo for damage with Shadow Ball.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

the_steve posted:

I know I'm late to the party on this, but, it blows my mind that freaking Nidoking is meant to be a Special Attacker, according to Smogon.

I mean, I'm sure the math checks out, but, it's goddamn Nidoking, just look at him. Pokegod obviously wanted him to be a brawler.

Nidoking is just that guy from High School who was on the football team but was also super into D&D.

Sure he lifts, but his true passion is spell casting

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Are the gamestop codes for marshadow limited in any way? I won't be able to get to a GS until like the 21st (which is right up to the line). Do they run out of codes etc?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I didn't know what the attack and special stats were for until Fire Red and Leaf Green.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Speaking of physical and special moves, there's one more thing Siselmo might want to know. I'll shove it behind a spoiler in case they want to be blind on this:

Moves come in three broad categories: two types of damaging move (Physical and Special) and a third type, Status, that applies buffs and debuffs without doing direct damage, although they may cause damage over time.

Physical moves use your mon's Attack stat and are defended by your opponent's Defence stat. Special moves use your mon's Sp. Atk. stat and are defended (with a couple of exceptions) by your opponent's Sp. Def. stat.

Other than that, have fun!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

New trailer provides no insight into the identity of The Masked Royal. it's a Zoroark 1/10 won't buy

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Is battle spot at all fun?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

Is battle spot at all fun?

If you're trying to play singles then playing on Showdown is going to be more fun/less painful to play with. Battle Spot's mainly for people trying to get good at the actual VGC format, though we don't know the rules for VGC 2018 yet and there's not much time left to actually play VGC 2017 this year.

Though given past trends I'm like 95% confident that VGC 2018 rules is gonna be full national dex with Blue Pentagon rule (all Pokemon have to be bred/caught in a Gen 7 cart), with the same 2v2 pick 4 of 6 and no 2 Pokemon can hold the same item rules as always. Only real question to me is whether or not older legendaries will be catchable in USUM to allow stuff like Landorus in VGC 2018, and whether or not Mega Evolutions will be allowed, because they aren't in 2017.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 17, 2017

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Peacoffee posted:

Are the gamestop codes for marshadow limited in any way? I won't be able to get to a GS until like the 21st (which is right up to the line). Do they run out of codes etc?

They may be able to print them out at the register if they run out. They did that for me with the Genesect distribution when they were doing that year of giveaways. Not sure if that's possible with this distribution, but it's worth checking.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, I was just going to mention my current Silver playthrough powerhouse, Kadabra with elemental punches. It's a bit rude being able to just buy something that strong in Goldenrod.

Jithendra
May 23, 2009

Ultima66 posted:

though we don't know the rules for VGC 2018 yet

Yes we do, they were announced early for once. It'll be national dex, all items allowed (meaning megas are in), and pokemon must have the Alolan clover mark (that is, be caught/bred in Alola). Mythicals, some legendaries, and Ash-Greninja are banned. Also there was a change to the player timer. More details here.

The only thing we don't really know yet is which legendaries will be available to catch in USUM, and thus legal for this competition.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
So, is save-corrupting possible in the Virtual Console versions of Gold and Silver? Don't think Celebi can be obtained in either otherwise, but thought I'd ask if anyone has tried and succeeded.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I haven't heard any rumors to the contrary yet. Usually they keep the games with the exact amount of stability they had, leaving all glitches untouched.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0XEzxULCDg

hey look, actual story differences, maybe?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Alxprit posted:

I haven't heard any rumors to the contrary yet. Usually they keep the games with the exact amount of stability they had, leaving all glitches untouched.
Usually, yes. However, I imagine the speed at which the games save might be a little bit faster, though I could be wrong. Haven't tested it myself, which is why I figured I'd ask if anyone else had first.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I'm glad they gave the male avatar more hat options.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Lorak posted:

Usually, yes. However, I imagine the speed at which the games save might be a little bit faster, though I could be wrong. Haven't tested it myself, which is why I figured I'd ask if anyone else had first.

I've played around with several of the cloning glitches and it's actually easier to get the timing right thanks to just being able to tap the touchscreen and then hit resume if you undershoot it.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Jithendra posted:

Yes we do, they were announced early for once. It'll be national dex, all items allowed (meaning megas are in), and pokemon must have the Alolan clover mark (that is, be caught/bred in Alola). Mythicals, some legendaries, and Ash-Greninja are banned. Also there was a change to the player timer. More details here.

The only thing we don't really know yet is which legendaries will be available to catch in USUM, and thus legal for this competition.

Ah, I didn't realize it had been officially announced. Either way, nothing at all about this was unpredictable besides MAYBE megas being allowed.

Taking predictions on which Mega is gonna dominate the format. Kang is always strong though I'm not sure it'll be one of the top any more. MegaMence was one of the best Megas in a format with Mega Rayquaza, Xerneas, and Primals. I also imagine Mega Metagross and Mega Mawile will be extremely good with the prevalence of Tapus. Mega Swampert has also never gotten a chance to be in a format without Rayquaza and Primal Groudon to ruin its weather, and it's been dominating OU in this gen.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Nethilia posted:

So I missed the Charizard giveaway by a day and Target doesn't let people have them the next day, because the rules. If someone has an extra, I'd appreciate it.

Okay, back to trying to finish Moon before Ultra S/M comes out.

Guess whose lucky day it is?
Check your PMs.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

No "maybes", an interview recently (today, I think) confirmed that the story is heavily different and that we shouldn't expect an Emerald or Platinum here. In fact, it changes completely once the Ultra Brigade or whatever Waluigi's team is appears, and it has double the amount of story of Sun and Moon which I'm sure will anger a lot of people but is great for me.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

No "maybes", an interview recently (today, I think) confirmed that the story is heavily different and that we shouldn't expect an Emerald or Platinum here. In fact, it changes completely once the Ultra Brigade or whatever Waluigi's team is appears, and it has double the amount of story of Sun and Moon which I'm sure will anger a lot of people but is great for me.

well gently caress, i might actually buy it in that case

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Isn't this one supposed to have actual gyms again, or was that just a rumor?

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the_steve posted:

Isn't this one supposed to have actual gyms again, or was that just a rumor?

Trials are back. The buildings under construction in S/M are the new Photo Club where you can take goofy pics with your cool bros and broettes then flood the thread with them come mid november

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Nth Doctor posted:

Guess whose lucky day it is?
Check your PMs.

Thank you! :toot:
As per your request, here is Mimikyu dressed as a Bulbasaur (my second fave Kanto starter). Drawn with Tombow markers because I am not cool and do everything traditionally.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Do we know if all of the empty plots are photo shacks yet?

We know Melemele definitely is, but I don't really see why they would need to stretch that gimmick out to each island beyond "because gamefreak".

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Nethilia posted:

Thank you! :toot:
As per your request, here is Mimikyu dressed as a Bulbasaur (my second fave Kanto starter). Drawn with Tombow markers because I am not cool and do everything traditionally.

Nice work! I would have accepted some art of the GIS, so this is well above and beyond.
The dude at target gave me a fistful today when I asked for just one for Nethilia, so I have 6 more to give away. Post a pic (no need for it to be an original, Nethilia set that bar pretty high) of Mimikyu dressed as someone else to get one.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm so excited!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Crawfish posted:

Do we know if all of the empty plots are photo shacks yet?

We know Melemele definitely is, but I don't really see why they would need to stretch that gimmick out to each island beyond "because gamefreak".
Not just each island, literally every town. There'd be two on some islands, which would be... yeah.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PetraCore posted:

Not just each island, literally every town. There'd be two on some islands, which would be... yeah.

Sorry, but I don't want to have to be more than a minute away from snapping pics with my pokes at any given time. A few generations from now we'll think of Pokemon Picture Places as just another mandatory building in a town, like a Pokemon Center.

(I didn't remember that there were so many construction sites. I hope something cool pops up in them, but we do know that they won't be gyms)

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Blaze Dragon posted:

Well I'm pleased as punch(ghost) to hear this, which is what I've been expecting the whole time anyway, ie USUM will be basically like BW2. Why would they have made two new versions if the changes were going to be minuscule? Not that the differences between normal versions have ever been massive but you know what I mean.

All I want for Christmas is a new variant on the postgame. I've played the battle tree to loving death because I've got a whole squad I try to deck out in as many ribbons as possible. Bring back the PWT or something, please, Gamefreak!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I would like to be able to catch a Scyther BEFORE the postgame without having to breed one.

Non-Legendary Pokemon should not be gated behind postgame unless you're traveling to a different region or something.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think it would be kinda cool if pokemon were slightly randomized per area. We have enough now that shoving them all in seems bad, but it would be cool if like there was an area and it could have Pinsir/Scyther/Heracross.

Like in X/Y's starting route have the encounter table be Fletchling/Zigzagoon/Pidgey or Fletchling/Sentret/Taillow or Fletchling/Rattata/Hoothoot etc. You keep all the new pokemon, but shuffle the returning ones around a bit with pokemon in the same niche.

sort of like how friend safaris worked but extended to the whole game.

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 18, 2017

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

the_steve posted:

I would like to be able to catch a Scyther BEFORE the postgame without having to breed one.

Non-Legendary Pokemon should not be gated behind postgame unless you're traveling to a different region or something.

I'm going to give my trainer a gothita for a starter, not bc gothita is a particularly fitting starter, but bc i want to. But I agree.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

PetraCore posted:

I'm going to give my trainer a gothita for a starter, not bc gothita is a particularly fitting starter, but bc i want to. But I agree.

My starter in Moon was Munchlax, and either he or Growlithe will be in UM.
I've been using Charizard as my fire buddy since forever, but, my gut is strongly telling me that I need a big floofy doggo for UM.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-647257442 haha yes, video games

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i want to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

the_steve posted:

My starter in Moon was Munchlax, and either he or Growlithe will be in UM.
I've been using Charizard as my fire buddy since forever, but, my gut is strongly telling me that I need a big floofy doggo for UM.
Ooooh, Growlithe would be cool.

Yeah the Gothita line takes a long time to evolve to second stage (level 32! Jeez!) so probably not an ideal starter, but it's not like I can't just catch more pokemon if the early game is a problem. I'm just making the rule that I've always got to have that specific pokemon in the party once I can get her from the Bank, so like, as soon as I have access to the PC I guess? I loved my Rowlet in Moon but I also didn't end up using him much once he was fully evolved, so even though I'm getting a Popplio for Ultra Sun I think having a different 'starter' would make things more interesting.