Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

forkbucket posted:

Wow, yea that's really pricy! Are they really smooth to type on or something? With import fees to Norway and stuff that would probably total closer to 350 usd for me. I am nowhere near good enough at esports video games to justify that :v:

The biggest segment of keyboard nerds are usually programmers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

The biggest segment of keyboard nerds are usually programmers

The coloured WASD keys (ESDF for life) kinda hint that this keyboard might be used for different purposes at times.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Some of these people have 10+ of these keyboards. Its nothing to do with actual practicality any more - its about who can get the most expensive doubleshot poo poo on massdrop and post it on reddit.

People are making incredible bank selling keyboard kits you have to solder together yourself and provide the switches for. Download kicad and set yourself up a dirtypcbs account and you can capture part of the handmade, artisanal keyboard market.

I'm sure ColHannibal is a fine upstanding goon but the colour coordinated fidget spinner made me think of /r/mechanicalkeyboards the entire thing annoys me on an irrational level. :qq:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Funny thing is that it’s not designed for gaming, it’s just really nice to type on and I do t get sore from hours typing or gaming so it’s worth it to me.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

TTerrible posted:

I'm sure ColHannibal is a fine upstanding goon but the colour coordinated fidget spinner made me think of /r/mechanicalkeyboards the entire thing annoys me on an irrational level. :qq:

It was a gift from my :kingsley:fiancé :kingsley: as she saw I liked green and would sit looking bored on calls for work while playing with pens.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That's cool :unsmith: I just saw a chance to rant about /r/mechanicalkeyboards and took it.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

TTerrible posted:

Relax, it's a hobby. I have five pairs of retro Jordan's, I don't need more then one pair but here I am. People like to spend money on things they enjoy.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Rabid Snake posted:

Relax, it's a hobby. I have five pairs of retro Jordan's, I don't need more then one pair but here I am. People like to spend money on things they enjoy.

I'm good, I said it was irrationial. I buy the dumbest poo poo known to mankind. :v:

Actual desk related question: Does anyone have any suggestions on anything better than sketchup to mock up how things will fit together? I've got to try and get three monitors and a desktop rack on to my galant and I'm really bored of sketchups interface.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Here's a weird question.

I have an audio interface with matte dials on it. The dials have concave depressions as indicators, but these are completely useless in a darker setting - or if the light just isn't angled the right way.

I considered getting a silver marker or something, but I won't be able to remove it without damaging the original dials, so is there a better option that is viewable in the dark and removable?

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

Glow-in-the-dark stickers.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

headlight posted:

Glow-in-the-dark stickers.
The issue is that it needs to be really super small. I could try buying some GitD tape and cut it up.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Use more lighting while looking at a computer screen?

I think if I read your post right it will tangentially help

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

TTerrible posted:

That's cool :unsmith: I just saw a chance to rant about /r/mechanicalkeyboards and took it.

I like this response and intend to steal variations of it for my own use.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

ColHannibal posted:

Funny thing is that it’s not designed for gaming, it’s just really nice to type on and I do t get sore from hours typing or gaming so it’s worth it to me.

For what it's worth I started looking into some nice mechanical keyboard options and I feel myself slipping down the rabbit hole!

I've been thinking of replacing my giant keyboard with a smaller one anyway... send help

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Once you go down the path you cannot be stopped :rip:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
The windows key :3:

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i like them a lot for gaming

How about typing? As I do a majority of with from home I kinda require both to be comfortable. My quick fire rapid with browns has been trusty, I'm just also really digging the keyboard backlighting my laptop has when it's not being used at my desk.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

ufarn posted:

Here's a weird question.

I have an audio interface with matte dials on it. The dials have concave depressions as indicators, but these are completely useless in a darker setting - or if the light just isn't angled the right way.

I considered getting a silver marker or something, but I won't be able to remove it without damaging the original dials, so is there a better option that is viewable in the dark and removable?

Same, I've got a lil amp thats tucked under a side monitor. I used a couple drops of dayglo orange nail polish in the depressions, dabbed in with a toothpick. Looks good in the light, low light it's OK. In the dark not much will help short of a LED or actual glow in the dark paint. On mine, the ring around the knob itself is lit, so the knob is easy enough to find and give it a bump up or down if needed

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting
Hi I'm an idiot who likes to melt his brain with drugs, is there a good UV/RGB ropelight that's like 15 feet tops that works well with desks? Going to be running it under the actual desktop in a keyboard chassis area as well as the non-keyboard holding parts of the underside of the desk.

I have some blacklight art as well and will post pics as soon as I get my desk looking like an alien drugdealer's spaceship as well

e: Also strongly considering picking up a 7*9 monitor and cutting a rectangle in the desk and slapping some plexiglass over it. Does anyone have experience doing this that knows whether or not it's a terrible idea? I'll most likely be using it as a dedicated resource monitor/conky screen

HELLBITCH fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 16, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tedronai66 posted:

How about typing? As I do a majority of with from home I kinda require both to be comfortable. My quick fire rapid with browns has been trusty, I'm just also really digging the keyboard backlighting my laptop has when it's not being used at my desk.

They’re nice for typing too but they have the same problem as Browns i.e I make more mistakes because the keys are mushier and easier to press. Like I said, this is good for gaming because it helps me do a thing faster and since I only have my hand over three or five keys it works out, but when trying to use the whole keyboard I accidentally press more keys.

They do sound very nice when typing I will say that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I don't have that problem with browns but reds for sure accidental keystrokes happen all the time.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I don't have that problem with browns but reds for sure accidental keystrokes happen all the time.

Yeah, I've never had a problem typing on browns. They're my favorite switch so far, but I've only owned blue and brown cherry kbs.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

OpaqueEcho posted:

I don't like wires.

What soundbar is this?

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

tvgm2 posted:

What soundbar is this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06Y3SYTMC?psc=1

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

forkbucket posted:

Wow, yea that's really pricy! Are they really smooth to type on or something? With import fees to Norway and stuff that would probably total closer to 350 usd for me. I am nowhere near good enough at esports video games to justify that :v:

Guessing you're not familiar with MKBs?

Do you like the form factor or the color of the keyboard? There are cheaper alternative if you just want that look.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

nescience posted:

Guessing you're not familiar with MKBs?

Do you like the form factor or the color of the keyboard? There are cheaper alternative if you just want that look.

The splash of color is what grabbed my attention! I've actually been looking into it quite a bit since that post. I ended up ordering a vortex race 3 the other day, since it checked off pretty much every box of what I was looking for without being too expensive.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

forkbucket posted:

The splash of color is what grabbed my attention! I've actually been looking into it quite a bit since that post. I ended up ordering a vortex race 3 the other day, since it checked off pretty much every box of what I was looking for without being too expensive.

Left out the most important part: what switches?

:getin:

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Cherry MX reds! I have browns right now and I'm happy with the resistance or whatever it's called and don't really want any tactile feed back or loud clicking.

Sorry for the keyboard derail, desk thread! As penance I'll post a picture of my terrible office / closet situation when I get everything set up. (I ordered some desk mounted arms for my monitors as well!)

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Once you go down the path you cannot be stopped :rip:

What keycap set is this?

As for MX brown, I consider them the gateway drug to all-45g Topre.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

EnergizerFellow posted:

What keycap set is this?

As for MX brown, I consider them the gateway drug to all-45g Topre.

Looks like a GMK set.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

It looks like this set from Massdrop.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Odette posted:

It looks like this set from Massdrop.

that's the one!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

New sit/stand rig from Amazon with an ash veneer ikea table top i found in the as-is.

I have too much goddamn stuff. Any suggestions for how to corral the cables behind the monitor?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XVYCMGK I was looking at this.

Alternatley I could just dehumanize myself and face to the fact that i have a laptop, a desktop, 2 monitors, oculus rift/a hardware KVM, keyboard/mouse/numpad/headphone amp/microphone/3 cell phones/ipad/speakers/webcam in this rig and that it will never be clean. :(

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 21, 2017

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Why do so many of you have nice-ish microphones?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I can't figure it out either. I'm guessing it's for team chat in online games but it seems like it would pick up a ton of keyboard noise with a mechanical kb

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
Likely for streaming gameplay or for podcasting. These are reasonably popular hobbies these days, and it makes sense that the former would be big here, as SA basically pioneered the Let's Play over a decade ago. Anyone can find a decent USB mic for under $100 that, while hardly studio quality, is good enough to satisfy most listeners who are finally willing to to shun productions with crappy audio quality recorded through something like an XBox headset or webcam mic.

As for keyboard noise, the possibilities are either 1) That's the point, because your three loyal Twitch viewers need to know you have a mechanical keyboard or 2) It doesn't matter because you use a controller for the games you stream.

Slippery42 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 22, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Overwatch is particularly dependent on voice chat in ranked mode, and their voice algorithm is extremely good at making mics sound decent. On top of that, recording and streaming sessions with and without friends is a fun thing to do; messing around with audio and mixers is a lot like modern ham radios.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

generally the stopper for people using nice microphones is requiring an interface, but if you play a musical instrument you probably already own an interface. A good microphone can be had for $100, I personally use an AKG D5

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Jealous Cow posted:

I stream games sometimes, and it picks up noise there which isnt a big deal, but for anything recorded, a simple click filter cuts the noise.

Also I redid the wiring on the desk to be a little bit cleaner, and am going to use the cable box behind the monitor, so we'll see how it looks tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jealous Cow posted:

For my 100k/yr twitch career which is gonna take off ANY DAY NOW I'm sure of it.