Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Sunswipe posted:

I kinda drifted away from South Park years ago, then made a conscious decision not to watch it again when I saw an advert making a big deal of Pewdiepie guesting on the show. A man's got to have some standards.

The last two seasons were frankly terrible anyway, so you haven't missed much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Derek I watched your video and underneath the veil of time degraded quality, looks to be a retardedly in-depth game that appeals to spergs near and far.

I liked x3 because poo poo was in-depth and hard, and offered a level of goodness not addressed by most games.

Your game seems to address the same playerbase. Would you ever plan to make a new uc in the style of x3? I'd play that.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

trucutru posted:

Nah, he was good at archering other artist's styles and could draw buildings and landscapes pretty well but wasn't that good with people or other living things. He was not particularly talented and that's why he failed the admission to art academy twice.

That's the best thing about actual art, it's truely subjective and no one can truely lay claim to a 'style' as it would be like accusing people of stealing walking styles from others, all are different in degrees of subtlety.

In all honesty, good art cannot be taught, it can only be demonstrated. :)

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

trucutru posted:

Nah, he [...]wasn't that good with people or other living things.

You don't say. :v:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sabreseven posted:

That's the best thing about actual art, it's truely subjective and no one can truely lay claim to a 'style' as it would be like accusing people of stealing walking styles from others, all are different in degrees of subtlety.

In all honesty, good art cannot be taught, it can only be demonstrated. :)

Nope, some artists have distinctive styles that they can truely call their own. Nobody is ever gonna confuse Botero with anybody else and trying to archer his style and pass it as your own would get detected in a nanosecond.

(And art can be taught, otherwise there would not be art schools).

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Beet Wagon posted:

My favorite moon is Enceladus, Saturn's sixth-largest moon. Its ice covering makes it one of the most reflective bodies in our solar system, and beneath the thick ice crust there is a massive liquid water ocean that some scientists believe poses our best chance of finding life on another planet. Near Enceladus's Southern pole, massive cryovolcanoes shoot ice and water into space and that helps make up Saturn's rings. I highly recommend you use the word cryovolcano today in some capacity, because it owns.

What do the Cassini probe and the tickler in black have in common?

They both explored icy bodies that will remain unknown to all but a handful of nerds.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Hot takes on Hitler from a 1940 jokebook:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hitler has only got one ball,
Goring's got two but they're very small,
Himmler has something similar,
But Star Citizen is never coming out get a refund commando!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I call this one "the future"

owns

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

trucutru posted:

Nope, some artists have distinctive styles that they can truely call their own. Nobody is ever gonna confuse Botero with anybody else and trying to archer his style and pass it as your own would get detected in a nanosecond.

(And art can be taught, otherwise there would not be art schools).

Many artists 'archer' or 'adopt' other styles as that's just the way they enjoy making their own art, Botero would've looked to others for inspiration before he developed his particular, almost cartoony methods. Most times it's often not a deliberate attempt at style theft as such and no claim to ownership of said style is made, if you can tell a genuine named piece from something similar then there are enough differences to allow both to exist and be judged on their own merits. Copying is not the same as having a similar style, one is theft and the other is being like-minded.

Art schools can only nurture someone who already has artisic inclination, they cannot teach talent where there is none to begin with imho.

I'll agree to disagree though since I know art stuff can be one of those things that can drag on for too long. :)

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The Titanic posted:

The juke system is pending the completion of the breathing system is pending completion of the medical system is pending completion of the blood flow system is pending completion of the air system is pending completion of the molecular component system is pending completion of the mining system is pending completion of the items system is pending completion of the cargo system is pending completion of the inventory system is pending completion of the final graphics and motion capture of the mobiglass interaction system.

So you see, more motion capture is needed to make the game work.

3.1 patch note:

- We've made huge progress in really getting ready to start wanting to implement a prototype backend tech system for parkour. We really really want to do it and we aren't just saying that this time.
- Moons disabled due to lack of interest

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Latin Pheonix posted:

:stare: Star Citizen: The Song.

I've been playing Divinity 2, I really like the game so far (especially the narrator) but it sure doesn't like me back; I've died about 5 times so far just from being in the wrong place at the wrong time. In fact, one time early on I just went down a passage shortly after the shipwreck and got killed by a cannibal :(.

I'm starting to think that starting as a conjurer was a bad idea.

Nah that dude will gently caress you up no matter what you are, especially if you don't have a full party for whatever reason.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Im jealous of those who are just experiencing ticklegate for the first time.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dooguk posted:

When your hanger is bare
'Cos your ship isn't there
It's a jpeg

rofl :five:

edit: they're all wonderful, really. Terrible moon poems are great!

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 18, 2017

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

The Titanic posted:

The juke system is pending the completion of the breathing system is pending completion of the medical system is pending completion of the blood flow system is pending completion of the air system is pending completion of the molecular component system is pending completion of the mining system is pending completion of the items system is pending completion of the cargo system is pending completion of the inventory system is pending completion of the final graphics and motion capture of the mobiglass interaction system.

So you see, more motion capture is needed to make the game work.

It's actually:

Juke system is pending the Muscular Fatigue system is pending the breathing system is pending the blood flow system is pending the molecular modeling system is pending the atomic modeling system is pending the quantum-mechanical modeling system is pending the big bang system is pending the singularity system is pending the metaphysical meaning behind the universe system which may or may not be pending the God system.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

MOOPS

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

:vince:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

McGiggins posted:

Derek I watched your video and underneath the veil of time degraded quality, looks to be a retardedly in-depth game that appeals to spergs near and far.

I liked x3 because poo poo was in-depth and hard, and offered a level of goodness not addressed by most games.

Your game seems to address the same playerbase. Would you ever plan to make a new uc in the style of x3? I'd play that.

Yeah, I made it for autistic gamers like myself who don't mind reading manuals. :grin:

I loved the X3 games. Until they went to poo poo. They have a new one coming out though. I'm looking forward to that.

I don't plan on making another massive BC/UC game from scratch because it's a LOT of money. Which is why I lol at those guys making Hellion, Battlespace Infinity and Dual Universe, thinking they could ever make those games with the budgets they planned. I'm too old for that poo poo, and I'm semi retired. Read this dev update about that.

That's one of the reasons that I designed and started working on Line Of Defense. I wanted a change of pace, plus the industry has moved on from my type of games.

So with UC: The Lyrius Conflict, it's basically a new coat of paint, while retaining all the underlying tech that made the BC/UC great and my all-time bestsellers.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
I wonder if you can mo-cap a quark?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dooguk posted:

When your hanger is bare
'Cos your ship isn't there
It's a jpeg

:perfect:
:five::five::five:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

When your patch notes of moons
Just get laughed at by goons
That's a tuesday

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Derek why don't you just remake Lee Carvallo's putting challenge , that seems autistic enough for you

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, I made it for autistic gamers like myself who don't mind reading manuals. :grin:

I loved the X3 games. Until they went to poo poo. They have a new one coming out though. I'm looking forward to that.

I don't plan on making another massive BC/UC game from scratch because it's a LOT of money. Which is why I lol at those guys making Hellion, Battlespace Infinity and Dual Universe, thinking they could ever make those games with the budgets they planned. I'm too old for that poo poo, and I'm semi retired. Read this dev update about that.

That's one of the reasons that I designed and started working on Line Of Defense. I wanted a change of pace, plus the industry has moved on from my type of games.

So with UC: The Lyrius Conflict, it's basically a new coat of paint, while retaining all the underlying tech that made the BC/UC great and my all-time bestsellers.

Dude all you have to do is mo-cap your UI and you're gold.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

When your avvy gets changed
By a warlord deranged
That's you on the blocklist

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Toops posted:

You just need small enough ping pong balls.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Toops posted:

I suppose you'd have to to make a Deep Space Nine game.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

biglads posted:

When your patch notes of moons
Just get laughed at by goons
That's a tuesday

Keeps delivering.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Jst0rm posted:

Im jealous of those who are just experiencing ticklegate for the first time.

In case they missed it-

It might be slanderous to say Ortwin is the Tickler in Black, if he wasn't, which he is

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

biglads posted:

That's you on the blocklist

that's him in the wheelchair,
funding his religion

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
When your ships
Cost too much
That’s a whale

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Blue On Blue posted:

Derek why don't you just remake Lee Carvallo's putting challenge , that seems autistic enough for you

You have selected 'No'.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
When you're scamming those rubes
and you don't like their pubes
that's mae demming....

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

quote:

Clive Johnson CIG@cjohnsonOctober 14th at 02:35 pm
Hi tom5598
You're right that the networking side of things doesn't get the spotlight very often - that's just the nature of the work really.
I think sometimes this lack of visibility can be misinterpreted as secrecy or a lack of progress, but neither of those is the case, and pretty much everything we do is shown in the production schedule.
The only things that aren't in there are those that can't easily be scheduled like bug fixing. Also sometimes we need to change priorities and the schedule can lag behind a bit.

To give you an update on the specific technologies you asked about :
Server meshing - not started yet. Our plan was always to make the single-server experience better and more optimized first.
Server meshing is going to build on the technologies we're creating for single servers, so these all need to be in place before we can start.
Also it is going to be challenging and complex work that will need the focus of the whole network programming team, so once we start work on it we don't want to be fighting a war on two fronts.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

That reminds me. Did they just stop doing their weekly development schedule since 3.0 was squeezed out to the whales ?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

When you're scamming those rubes
and you don't like their pubes
that's mae demming....

:golfclap:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is server meshing their version of what ccp did like 10 years ago

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Toops posted:

Considering the uncertainty involved when Chris Roberts' Fidelity Engine tries to move a wheel across a ramp I'd say that everything from entanglement to random interference is already modelled pretty well.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

They haven't touched the networking in 2 years, there has been no mention of it in dev updates or anywhere else. People have been snooping what the Fidelity Engine is actually sending and receiving from the servers for ages now and it isn't pretty. Also I'd love to know who their 'networking team' is, as far as I can see they don't have one.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
When the fat is taking your eye
Eat another pizza pie
Ben "perfectly healthy" Lesnick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Awesome! posted:

is server meshing their version of what ccp did like 10 years ago

Nah, it's some form of dynamic instancing where they can partition a region of space and assign it to a new server. How it is going to work is completely up in the air because like the CIG employee said, they haven't even started on it yet and are working off Croberts imagination.