Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
USL is the way and the light. Imagine watching your team for free on YouTube instead of paying way too much to watch teams that aren’t yours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TwoUnitedFans/status/920455067165081602
this is all going so well

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Wow I'm shocked a that a fat ugly white dude who inherited his money and has no life experience is a terrible team owner, businessman, and person.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Sounds like Precourt might get forced to sell locally. Because wow gently caress you.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

camoseven posted:

Wow I'm shocked a that a fat ugly white dude who inherited his money and has no life experience is a terrible team owner, businessman, and person.

What does his race have to do with it?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
http://kxan.com/2017/10/17/soccer-club-outlines-wishlist-for-potential-austin-location/

KXAN posted:

A site that’s been a source of speculation for different developments is the Austin American-Statesman property at 305 S. Congress Ave., where real estate attorney Richard Suttle is listed as the trustee. City documents show as recently as last week, Suttle filled out a reporting form to lobby for the development of an MLS stadium. KXAN has not yet heard back from Suttle for comment.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

What does his race have to do with it?

Everything

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

thats probably the single best place to put a stadium in austin

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Sounds like Precourt might get forced to sell locally. Because wow gently caress you.

This is honestly what I'm thinking. If the local bidders leaked this in the first place, it's almost a :masterstroke: on their part. Precourt flips out like a comic book villain and goes out even further on that bridge (seriously, an MLS2ATX astroturf site with a Precourt Sports Ventures copyright notice?), but he's still going to struggle to get even a mildly satisfactory deal in Austin if the team they HAD couldn't do it, twice, and he'll still be toxic in Columbus to boot. Whatever new offer they might make to him to cut his losses would look a lot more tempting in that situation.

An upside of Our Dumb League here is that they're in a better position to force him out if he's genuinely making them look bad, but on the other hand there actually IS room for improvement in the team's stadium situation (it was the first SSS and from all reports from angry Crew fans today it's rather Spartan). Ownership that's genuinely inclined to work with the city to fix that somehow could do a world of good.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

G-Hawk posted:

thats probably the single best place to put a stadium in austin

I know. For those of you not familiar, the newspaper plant is about a mile away from 6th Street, regarded as the center of Austin hipness. From the parking lot, you can see all the way to the capital building. It also no longer actually prints the newspaper, as that has been outsourced.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I know. For those of you not familiar, the newspaper plant is about a mile away from 6th Street, regarded as the center of Austin hipness. From the parking lot, you can see all the way to the capital building. It also no longer actually prints the newspaper, as that has been outsourced.

When did that happen and why hasn't it come up before in the Aztex' wandering? Nobody involved with enough money to redevelop it?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Dallan Invictus posted:

When did that happen and why hasn't it come up before in the Aztex' wandering? Nobody involved with enough money to redevelop it?

Well, it happened a while back, but the land the Statesman plant was sold from Cox Communications to....the family that owns the majority of Cox Communications about 18 months ago. The land is possibly the best downtown real estate in any major city that's looking to be redeveloped, which is probably why saying 'we want to build a minor league soccer stadium here' got balked at.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So there's late-night scuttlebutt from Brian Strauss and others that 2-4 of the MLS teams that have full reserve teams in the USL might not bring them back for next year. Suspects floated about are Orlando, Philly, NYRB, and Seattle.

Apparently it's part the MLS organizations going "Hey it turns out we have to spend money on these guys and we don't like it" and part the USL going "Yeah so we want to be D2 so you guys with your hundreds of people who show up to games are actually bad for us now".

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Well I guess that will screw the pooch on Sounders 2 planned move to Tacoma/rebrand.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Crazy Ted posted:

So there's late-night scuttlebutt from Brian Strauss and others that 2-4 of the MLS teams that have full reserve teams in the USL might not bring them back for next year. Suspects floated about are Orlando, Philly, NYRB, and Seattle.

Apparently it's part the MLS organizations going "Hey it turns out we have to spend money on these guys and we don't like it" and part the USL going "Yeah so we want to be D2 so you guys with your hundreds of people who show up to games are actually bad for us now".

Orlando, Red Bull, and Seattle can have their junior squads go away and I wouldn't give a rat's rear end. I would like to see Bethlehem Steel stay around, though, if only because a) they have an actual identity, and b) that identity has local historical roots.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Well I guess that will screw the pooch on Sounders 2 planned move to Tacoma/rebrand.
From what I've read, this scenario would have Sounders 2 start back up when the small soccer stadium is ready in Tacoma.

The Bethlehem situation is all on the Philadelphia front office, as apparently they didn't hire local people run to run sales for Bethlehem Steel and it resulted in ticket sales low enough that about 75% of butts in seats were from freebies.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Crazy Ted posted:

As long as they also have a D3, that would be fine.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Crazy Ted posted:

I mean the MLS essentially pissed away a few million dollars on bad reserve teams to bulk up the USL and kill the NASL, not the worst trade in the world. Then they can just reform the teams later if they want in D-3, its not like it is really going to change much. Meanwhile they can just loan some guys out to other USL teams.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Kill the MLS2 teams. Grow the sport either by affiliate program (DC-Richmond has been mutually beneficial) or by just loaning players.

If we’re giving all of USSF a rethink, let’s loving rethink it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

USL doesn't need them anymore (arguably they are a liability if one actually cares about the difference between being sanctioned as D2 and D3) and MLS barely needed them in the first place, player loans could do everything they could much more easily as long as all the destinations actually existed.

On a lighter note:

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/920422876477579265

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Kill the MLS2 teams. Grow the sport either by affiliate program (DC-Richmond has been mutually beneficial) or by just loaning players.

Swope Park has been great for KC and we've already signed quite a few players from there. It's not all bad.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Just create a drat reserve league.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nostradingus posted:

Swope Park has been great for KC and we've already signed quite a few players from there. It's not all bad.

counterpoint: when they play there aren't any parking spots for my adult league that plays down there so contract them all i say

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

wicka posted:

Just create a drat reserve league.

We had one! And... killed it for this USL partnership.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
In unsurprising news, Goff is reporting Hamid is gone next season. No clear idea where to, but not here.

I will be shocked if DC outdraws Dallas in five years.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

i completely support all the dumb and bad teams destroying their own talent pipelines

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Azerban posted:

i completely support all the dumb and bad teams destroying their own talent pipelines

Honestly, the number of II team players that will actually ever be useful to the first team could just be loaned out to USL or CPL teams in the first place now that more of them exist than before, and the rest should be sold/cut loose and competing for permanent spots on those teams rather than being warm bodies on a B team that doesn't give a poo poo if it wins and draws like a quarter the crowds of the rest of the league. I used to be in favour of TFC/MTL/VAN having B teams in USL-and-then-CPL (or some other Canadian league) but they haven't usually proven to be worth the added trouble for the MLS team (compared to loan preference-type affiliate deals like Montreal-Ottawa) and they annoy the independent USL/CPL teams and their fans so whatever I'm not going to mourn their loss.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

Honestly, the number of II team players that will actually ever be useful to the first team could just be loaned out to USL or CPL teams in the first place now that more of them exist than before, and the rest should be sold/cut loose and competing for permanent spots on those teams rather than being warm bodies on a B team that doesn't give a poo poo if it wins and draws like a quarter the crowds of the rest of the league. I used to be in favour of TFC/MTL/VAN having B teams in USL-and-then-CPL (or some other Canadian league) but they haven't usually proven to be worth the added trouble for the MLS team (compared to loan preference-type affiliate deals like Montreal-Ottawa) and they annoy the independent USL/CPL teams and their fans so whatever I'm not going to mourn their loss.
Maybe so, but what's dumb about this is that MLS had a reserve league, decided it wasn't good enough because they wanted backup players playing in games that are supposed to matter, and as a result they struck up the deal with the USL. Now, in just a few years we appear to be reverting back to a direct affiliation type of situation, which was what was going on before MLS even had a reserve league.

And there's more to a reserve unit than just having a few guys become regulars on the senior team. It's so backups can get enough playing time to stay sharp in case they're called upon in an MLS game, or to have an extra lineup's worth of players in case the senior team is hit with a big injury crisis.

Minnesota United had a few games this year where they couldn't even put seven guys on the subs bench. Having something resembling a reserve team would have come in handy.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

https://www.sounderatheart.com/thefuture/2017/10/18/16494300/sounders-2-moving-to-tacoma-for-2018-season

Maybe the source was wrong and conflated moving the team with closing the team. I mean people might actually go to the games now...

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Your Boy Fancy posted:

In unsurprising news, Goff is reporting Hamid is gone next season. No clear idea where to, but not here.

I will be shocked if DC outdraws Dallas in five years.

In related news, today I finally got around to telling my rep that I won't be renewing my DCU season tickets

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

camoseven posted:

In related news, today I finally got around to telling my rep that I won't be renewing my DCU season tickets

Lol, which one

You should tell them Paul says hi and hear them inwardly loving groan

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Your Boy Fancy posted:

But I thought doing things the way they are done in Europe is how you become successful? Because that's how Spain and Germany do it. 'B' and '2' teams are the norm there and they seem to be doing well for themselves.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
You can’t even strawman correctly you weapons grade dipshit, go back to being quiet now that your team spends all that money to be worse than mine

I hear spending money to field dogshit is a European tradition

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Mods can you change git to gut in the OP thanks

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
so much disrespect itt for the reigning usl champs

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Listen if you're going to poo poo on Milan at least use the right thread.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Gigi Galli posted:

Listen if you're going to poo poo on Milan at least use the right thread.

Heh

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

You can’t even strawman correctly you weapons grade dipshit, go back to being quiet now that your team spends all that money to be worse than mine

Oh no. It seems I've struck a nerve.

My team may be poo poo, but at least I have the comfort of knowing that, for us, things will get better, and already have. For you, well, isn't this a good year for your standards? You're not guaranteed last place!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

You’ve struck a nerve because you’re dumb as poo poo and you keep defending a thing that’s indefensible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Reserve squads have a place, but that place isn't in the second level of a pyramid.

• Locked thread