Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
It will be interesting to see how the new factions stack up against the old ones. So far, at least if my Krok'Gar campaign is any indication, Lizardmen are a total nightmare for VC armies. It feels like one of those "Anything you can do, I can do better" things. They both play somewhat similarly, with an emphasis on tough melee infantry and monsters, but Lizardmen just feel better. Their monsters are also artillery pieces or regen friendly units, their mainline infantry is cheaper, their magic is just as good and Old Bloods on Carnosaurs are a match for Vamps. Fast VC dogs/bats vs Lizardmen skink skirmishers feels like a wash.

Also, its a shame they can't get the AI to use magic better. It wasn't a huge deal in the first game since magic was weak, but now that its good, it really cripples the AI's ability to fight. Skaven AI with dwellers below use their first charge before the armies have even met and cast it in their own ranks instead of on your archers. AI Teclis shoots the big Phoenix wind spell in a random terrible direction and I don't think I've been hit with a net spell once.

cheese fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I'm no multiplayer pro but it really feels to me like the VC will struggle hard with the new races. Pretty weird considering that they were considered a top tier race until Norsca was released.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

In ME I hope teclis and empire are buddies but I doubt it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Domination victory as high elfs on Very Hard was really cathartic. 350 turns of people loving with me, and they were all undone by arrow bois and pointy stick bois.

Someone should really make it absolutely apparent (maybe in OP) that there is no real penalty for "losing" the vortex ritual race. At the end you fight an almost impossible to lose fight with the other two "losing" vortex races as your allies/meatshields.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I don't understand what all the hate for Lizardmen cavalry is. Cold one spears are amazing anticav, better than orc boar boys big 'uns. Horned ones have heavy armor, armor-piercing, and are just as fast as Reiksguard; I've found them to be worth the price of rampage. Maybe people dislike them because they're overshadowed by the carnasaurs and stegadons?

Because rampage is so much worse on a unit that relies on mobility and cycle charging, because dinosaurs do the job just as well if not better, and because people playing against lizardmen will already be bringing a healthy amount of anti-large damage

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Because rampage is so much worse on a unit that relies on mobility and cycle charging, because dinosaurs do the job just as well if not better, and because people playing against lizardmen will already be bringing a healthy amount of anti-large damage
At least as DE, yeah, I basically don't take cavalry except some token Dark Riders because losing all of my cavalry's actions to Rampage sucks. At least Lizardmen get some other cav-like options.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think VC are going to be ok when you consider magic and their tricks even though lizards will be a tough ask for anyone that doesn't have lots of shooting power. VC in single are going to be interesting since they're such an isolationist slow grow army and unlike dwarfs you can't just say gently caress it and march towards another mountain of interest.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

New Butt Order posted:

I'm still gonna buy 3 because I'm a shameless consumer whore and it's not like anybody else is making Total War games for me to play. However, Chaos is the most boring poo poo in all of the Warhammer lores combined and I'll be amazed if they can sweeten the pot enough to make it worth a $60 purchase.

Oh boy, I can play as the angry guys with axes, the rapey guys with axes, the filthy guys with axes, or the insane guys with axes.

You do realise Skaven are Chaos right?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

SoftNum posted:

As much as I'm not super interested in it, the next logical step would be LOTR Game of Thrones.

I fixed your post to be correct.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

A GOT Total War would be boring as gently caress after warhams.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
A game of thrones total war would play like a historical total war except with less faction diversity, there is zero point in making that.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, are we at the point now where it's trendy to hate on GOT? It's so hard to keep up with the hipster nerds. :rolleyes:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

JBP posted:

It really is downhill a bit after Warhammer isn't it? TW games will still be cool, but the only one that would fully grab my interest would be a Romance of the Three Kingdoms Total War.

GoT/SoF&I TW would be cool though, I'd dig it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GoT is good and cool and I watch it, but it would make for a poo poo TW game.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

JBP posted:

Set during the Dawn Age or Andal Conquest when there was still magic around would be interesting.

But ultimately just a rehash of Warhams.

GoT is about characters and story, neither of which Total War do well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Xae posted:

Set during the Dawn Age or Andal Conquest when there was still magic around would be interesting.

But ultimately just a rehash of Warhams.

GoT is about characters and story, neither of which Total War do well.

Pretty much. I'd likely play the poo poo out of Hearts of Iron GoT though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Siets posted:

Oh, are we at the point now where it's trendy to hate on GOT? It's so hard to keep up with the hipster nerds. :rolleyes:

In Book Barn it's been trendy to hate on AsoIaF for like the past decade

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

JBP posted:

GoT is good and cool and I watch it, but it would make for a poo poo TW game.

A fantasy universe entirely devoted to feudal political intrigue and conflict. Ah yes, what a terrible basis for a Total War game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Siets posted:

A fantasy universe entirely devoted to feudal political intrigue and conflict. Ah yes, what a terrible basis for a Total War game.

A better game for that is required. Tactical map is the most interesting part of TW. I mentioned Hearts of Iron, but basically any other 4x system would be a better fit for political conflict and intrigue.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Siets posted:

Correct, since intrigue and diplomacy's not the focus of TW at all and invariably the weakest part of any game in the series. Would make a great Crusader Kings though

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

peer posted:

Correct, since intrigue and diplomacy's not the focus of TW at all and invariably the weakest part of any game in the series. Would make a great Crusader Kings though

You all have approximately zero imagination in this conversation.

It's ~almost~ as if they spent the past several years working on the necessary parts of their engine to make a fantasy setting a reality in their game. They now have the scaffolding in place for spells, monsters, flying units, etc.

Maybe now they could make their next big push for their next big game to give some much needed TLC to the campaign map experience?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't want to play the best part of the game (tactical map) as boring GoT houses.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I guess I'd be up for a game that removes 95% of TW:W's units but in return lets Karl Franz choose whether to have sex with or behead the elector counts

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

30 Year War Total War would be way cooler imo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The only real world total war I will buy after warhammer is Total War: Falklands 1982

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Siets posted:

You all have approximately zero imagination in this conversation.

It's ~almost~ as if they spent the past several years working on the necessary parts of their engine to make a fantasy setting a reality in their game. They now have the scaffolding in place for spells, monsters, flying units, etc.

Maybe now they could make their next big push for their next big game to give some much needed TLC to the campaign map experience?

No because that's not why people play Total War games.

The campaign map isn't a backdrop for lack of effort, it's a backdrop because that is the kind of game that Total War is and aspires to be. Game of Thrones is a terrible fit.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

tarbrush posted:

Who's the least interesting?

Beastmen

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

CA should leverage their publisher's licensing and give us Sonic:total war

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'd play Total War: Middle Earth but only if they partnered with the Shadow of War devs so i could deploy me favourite Uruks on the battlefield.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Its clear that fantasy is exhausted, we must now turn to the realm of Science Fiction

Dune: Total War

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

LordAbaddon posted:

Its clear that fantasy is exhausted, we must now turn to the realm of Science Fiction

Dune: Total War

You joke, but I would play the gently caress out of this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DLC Battletoad LL for Lizardmen please CA.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

Kainser posted:

A game of thrones total war would play like a historical total war except with less faction diversity, there is zero point in making that.

Isn't that basically Shogun 2? I thought that was the best Total War I've played. Although I have high hopes for Mortal Empires because Warham TW is amazing.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

tarbrush posted:

Who's the least interesting?

Chaos.

Whorelord posted:

You do realise Skaven are Chaos right?

Only after end times

#NotMyWarHams

Siets posted:

entirely devoted to feudal political intrigue and conflict... a terrible basis for a Total War game.

Agreed.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Eh, I think it's more that Warriors of Chaos is boring.

Daemons of Chaos, which is what 3 will feature, are plenty fun imo. I don't blame anybody for getting bored with GRIMDARK SPACE MARINE VIKINGS but having fully fleshed out God specific Daemon armies should provide some spectacles.

Oh boy, Angry fleshbeasts allied with vikings, Rapist fleshbeasts allied with vikings, Filthy fleshbeasts allied with vikings or Insane fleshbeasts allied with vikings

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 18, 2017

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

1. Horned ones don't need cycle charging, they have 40 melee offence and 52 damage. They are quite good once already in combat. Cold one spears don't rampage. Seriously, try the spears as anti-large. They are really good, especially for cost.

2. True, dinos can fill similar rolls, but cost far more and are even slower. However, dinos are a ton more fun so I'll give you that.

3. You could say the same thing about large vs. dinos.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 18, 2017

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
Would anyone else like to see CA take a crack at Total war Warhammer 40k, maybe like 5 years from now with new tech? I'm not sure if the map would be 3d/2d or have planet battles or what not but just the idea seems really cool to me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Truecon420 posted:

Would anyone else like to see CA take a crack at Total war Warhammer 40k, maybe like 5 years from now with new tech? I'm not sure if the map would be 3d/2d or have planet battles or what not but just the idea seems really cool to me.

I'm not sure how CA would transition from rank and file armies to looser formations, but I'd be willing to let them try for sure. I've always wanted a 40k Total War type game, but I wonder how well it would work out in the end.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Everyone in 40k uses Napoleonic tactics anyway so it'd be fine.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Truecon420 posted:

A qualified Nah.

Unless they had the opportunity to rewrite the whole engine from the ground up it would either be a bad TW game or a bad 40k game. Both are built on different ideas of tactics and unit sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Truecon420 posted:

Yeah, that could be cool. Especially if they do it on the epic scale so you can bring Titans into the fray.