Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The fire burned into the townsite today.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/waterton-kenow-fire-pincher-creek-evacuations-1.4285153

drat shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

gently caress, that's awful.

At least the town was evacuated before the fire got there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That visitor center is literally in process of being replaced so for all the buildings to be lost that is one of the best one to go. Sounds like the town itself is still in pretty good shape, here's to hoping they can hold out a another day or two until mother nature kicks in a hand.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

something something something tm2tw3 something something vans something

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-car...gationFlag=true

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

yesssss. Rigging up a jerrycan inside as a fuel tank is legit right?

Also, I have to quit hitting the rye the night before taekwondo class. Holy gently caress, that was rough. I haven't sweated like that since... well... since I did it last week. Ugh.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

That visitor center is literally in process of being replaced so for all the buildings to be lost that is one of the best one to go. Sounds like the town itself is still in pretty good shape, here's to hoping they can hold out a another day or two until mother nature kicks in a hand.

Yeah, wasn't the province getting ready to do a bunch of changes to Waterton's townsite that pissed off the locals?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, or more so the feds with parks Canada. .. but I think it's pretty much the visitors Centre, not sure if there is anything else. The Centre was on the outskirts of town near the prince of wales hotel, and the park is moving it downtown which the locals/regulars believe, and rightly so, that it will make the parking and congestion awful. And I don't see it not becoming worse by a huge amount.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Latest update from Waterton. Not completely done yet, but they have sent some of the crews back who came from other municipalities so sounds like things are starting to wind down.

Parks Canada posted:

INFRASTRUCTURE UPDATE

Through incredible firefighting efforts, we are pleased to confirm that no homes or businesses within the townsite have been lost or damaged due to fire.

The main Prince of Wales Hotel building has not been impacted by fire, however some surrounding facilities are damaged. In addition, the Red Rock and Cameron Lake day-use areas and facilities, including the Alpine Club of Canada hut, have not been damaged due to fire. The Waterton Lakes Golf Course clubhouse sustained minor damage to the exterior.

Regrettably, despite our best efforts, some infrastructure in the park has been lost, including Alpine Stables. Our thoughts are with the community members dealing with the devastating impact of this loss. The Visitor Centre was also lost in the fire and the East Gate Warden Station sustained a total loss of the structure, equipment, and vehicles. Crandell Campground was significantly impacted by fire. Outlying infrastructure around the Parks Canada Operations Compound were impacted and the Bison Paddock suffered damage to the facilities and the fence.

Distribution lines from the park boundary to the townsite sustained significant damage. Parks Canada and Fortis are currently working together to restore power.

We continue to work to complete the detailed assessment, which includes identifying additional risks within the park. Due to the high intensity of the fire, there are a large number of danger trees, rock falls, and other hazards that remain throughout. Moreover, guardrails, signage, and other minor infrastructure were heavily impacted.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is it just me or is the Kijiji filter by dealer/owner option now gone?
e: Nevermind, I didn't have it filtered down enough for the option to show

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've got a phone again. i delete it out of the post once someone texts me and you guys should be able to propagate it.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 12, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just sent you a text

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I hosed it up. put the right one there. sorry if you scared some old lady :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hey Mr. Mayor - did you get your reign extended?

Also, holy poo poo life in a small town. VLTs still banned by a whopping 13 votes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's good though. VLTs are predatory.

The incubment mayor here has over 86% of the vote. The only person running against her is a crackhead who's official picture had a chick cropped out of it because it was probably the only picture he had of him wearing a shirt

http://elections.reddeer.ca/for-voters/whos-running/mayor/sean-burke/

Looks like only 1 councilor at risk of being voted out. Gonna be the same old poo poo for a while.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Hey Mr. Mayor - did you get your reign extended?

Believe me, he goes looking for people to take the job off his hands. The election campaign is him putting out signs with some other motherfucker's name on them.

Calling into the local AM radio to spread scandalous rumours about himself.

Blackmail photographs.

Runs a whisper campaign against his own office that basically consists of phoning up his constituents and asking them if they really want to know he's a full-blooded commie dictator, to which they ask him if they can borrow some of his tools for a post-hole digging that weekend.

Wastes taxpayer money on overengineered hog-roasting machines as "public art," only to have the constituents demand more.

Hiked tax rates to the maximum possible that his office can levy, then spent it.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 17, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I believe it but VOTE HITLER signs is probably not the best strategy.

Powershift posted:

That's good though. VLTs are predatory.
I am one of those people that genuinely doesn't give a poo poo what anyone does as long as it doesn't effect me or people I care about in a negative way, but I did vote against them. I just have a gut hate of them. That said, the local water holes are going to freak the gently caress out and probably try to strong arm council since it was so drat close.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'll never be rid of this loving job, I'm the only one who can troubleshoot the A/V system in the hall.

Last night I had to go fix it, some retard had unplugged everything because the batteries in the master remote were dead.

Like, jeezlus people, maybe before you unplug the amps, the router, the equalizer, the DVD player, the video switch, and the satellite receiver making it lose authorization so someone has to call the provider to get it reactivated, maybe, just maybe open the remote and see if the batteries are leaking chunky acid crystals first.

:smith:

(Also we do council elections at the end of the year, there is no real general election for town council.)

Also I voted, there was literally one race on my ballet, for MD councilor, two guys were running. In and out, no waiting.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

Also, holy poo poo life in a small town
*vote counts written on a whiteboard*
I'm stupidly amused that if a place is small enough, they just have a person write the vote counts on a big whiteboard in some conference room. There's another, more official version somewhere, right? One that's not vulnerable to a poorly-aimed sneeze?

Powershift posted:

The only person running against her is a crackhead who's official picture had a chick cropped out of it because it was probably the only picture he had of him wearing a shirt
http://elections.reddeer.ca/for-voters/whos-running/mayor/sean-burke/

quote:

I dropped out of the Red Deer Education system in 1999.

Slung Blade posted:

I'll never be rid of this loving job, I'm the only one who can troubleshoot the A/V system in the hall.
Goddam I love small town politics as a spectator sport.

More! I want more! More stories of pissing matches between fools for the power of sidewalk extensions!
Please?

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 17, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ExecuDork posted:

I'm stupidly amused that if a place is small enough, they just have a person write the vote counts on a big whiteboard in some conference room. There's another, more official version somewhere, right? One that's not vulnerable to a poorly-aimed sneeze?

Haha yeah, there is. We actually use Scantron computers and these were just written down for people to digest the broken down individual results. I was more on about the small numbers. The results would have been swung by literally a few houses or a large family. The mayor could have been changed by a well timed blue light special at the local chinese food place. You want pathetic though, Calgary was a loving gong-show of a dumpster fire last night of how not to do an election. The results website kept crashing, and they use handwritten ballots so that whiteboard kind of thing was more like how it is officially done in a metro city of 1,000,000+ in TYOL 2017.

Also, check out Larry Heather, mayor candidate for Calgary. The guy would have been viewed batshit insane in 1917, let alone 2017. I watched a debate with him last week and he was just going off the rails, women can't be cops or firemen, and that Calgary needed a Christian mayor with god on his side (people start to laugh) following up with YOU WON'T BE LAUGHING WHEN THE STREETS ARE FILLED WITH CASKETS or some loving thing like that. I'm not even really using hyperbole, it was something close to that if not exact.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Haha yeah, there is. We actually use Scantron computers and these were just written down for people to digest the broken down individual results. I was more on about the small numbers. The results would have been swung by literally a few houses or a large family. The mayor could have been changed by a well timed blue light special at the local chinese food place.

I'm bummed that Martin Heavy Head didn't win in Leth but then again, sadly not at all surprised.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My election officer initially forgot to sign my ballot which would've spoiled them if a lady didn't catch that.

The whole election here was a complete gongshow, kind of sad that polls can't even be non partisan anymore but it certainly mobilised alot of people to vote when they otherwise wouldn't have. I really wasn't thinking about it until the whole arena thing came up and I got a real look at the front runners and their policies.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm bummed that Martin Heavy Head didn't win in Leth but then again, sadly not at all surprised.
Seriously, take heart that he did as well as he did for not being a "mainstream" candidate. The indigenous population is actually quite small compared to everyone else in the city of 100k, and even then the majority of those technically "live" on reserves outside of the city so he was able to get 2K+ votes from people outside his base. He still managed a respectable 15% of the vote over an incumbent that probably won't lose until he's no longer running or dead, and even then if his name was on the ballot he'd still win.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jesus, 22C and 100Kph gusts today. Must be fall. Well, it's nice to not have a house with vinyl siding anymore or else it'd probably be halfway to Ontario by now.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ExecuDork posted:

Goddam I love small town politics as a spectator sport.

More! I want more! More stories of pissing matches between fools for the power of sidewalk extensions!
Please?

The ladies club was holding a meeting at the same time I was fixing the system. We collectively decided to fine the offender four double A batteries to recompense me for my time and materials.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Jesus, 22C and 100Kph gusts today. Must be fall. Well, it's nice to not have a house with vinyl siding anymore or else it'd probably be halfway to Ontario by now.

We're getting the same thing now too. There's a guy who FILLS his loving yard with inflatable halloween and christmas stuff, i had to go out and get a picture.

Probably half of it is gone.

And his house and car are getting sandblasted by the park.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It just started raining downtown for a bit. Apparently a light standard is falling over on 16th ave so that's going to be awesome for rush hour.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It just started raining downtown for a bit. Apparently a light standard is falling over on 16th ave so that's going to be awesome for rush hour.

Trucks taking a nap on the highway in both directions on highway 2, too. One looks like a good one.

e: grass fire heading towards houses in airdrie, surely the wind will blow it out.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 17, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

Trucks taking a nap on the highway in both directions on highway 2, too. One looks like a good one.

Oh that's great. That highway is going to be a dumpster fire for the next few hours until it gets cleaned up and the winds die down a bit this evening. I wonder how many highway signs will be twisted and bent over like a couple years ago... that still aren't replaced in many cases?

quote:

e: grass fire heading towards houses in airdrie, surely the wind will blow it out.
Hey! Prairie fires are our thing!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Also, hitting 112K gusts now. It isn't dying down yet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Also, hitting 112K gusts now. It isn't dying down yet.

Maybe the coming hail will put out the fires

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The old "beating the prairie fire out with a hammer" trick.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well that's not gone well

Wind blowing over some train cars.

And I guess this was just outside Calgary an hour or so ago

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wind seems to have died down a bit in Calgary now. We got some rain as well which I'm hoping got to Airdrie too.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

poo poo's been pretty chaotic the last few hours.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Another one by Trochu

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

slidebite posted:

Well that's not gone well

Wind blowing over some train cars.

That the bridge up by monarch?

And there's a grass fire in lethbridge right now too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jamal posted:

That the bridge up by monarch?

And there's a grass fire in lethbridge right now too.

Wainwright. A second 5 car train derailed there, too. Apparently there's a train on fire near Strathmore.

Not a good day for trains.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jesus Christ I just got out of taekwondo to air thick of smoke and sirens blaring everywhere. Is it the rapture???

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Jesus Christ I just got out of taekwondo to air thick of smoke and sirens blaring everywhere. Is it the rapture???

You were told not to let the gays get married.

You saw the billboard!

But seriously, you're completely surrounded by fire right now, please don't catch on fire.

http://www.emergencyalert.alberta.ca/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

The Nensh is really, really mad about that Flames communications director tweet.