Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

Man the Abyss was one of the creepiest places that I had ventured into. The lack of ambient music and the fact you're heading into a giant, monochrome abyss populated with ghosts doesn't help much, and it's only heightened by the dawning realization of just what the Pale King did to try and preserve Hallownest.

Anyways, have some nice comics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Aw, Cloth. :smith:

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

bingsu posted:

Man the Abyss was one of the creepiest places that I had ventured into. The lack of ambient music and the fact you're heading into a giant, monochrome abyss populated with ghosts doesn't help much, and it's only heightened by the dawning realization of just what the Pale King did to try and preserve Hallownest.

Anyways, have some nice comics!

While the King was pretty drat ruthless and amoral, in fairness we gotta remember he was up against quite possibly the end of all sapience according to the White Lady, at least in his own realm. Messing with the primordial Void is certainly a dangerous thing, but it's an understandable line of logic.

Also something to note: the huge statue? bug corpse? holding the vessel of darkness in the very depths of the Abyss did have a reaction to the Dream Nail. It may not be strong enough yet, but there is a mind, or a will, that can be plumbed there.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Abyss is probably the area of the game that was influenced most directly by Dark Souls and definitely benefits from it. Usually when a video game talks about the dark it's the Kingdom Hearts-esque "DAAAAAARKNEEEESSS" sort of thing, but Dark Souls and related titles go for more "this is a living thing that is quite dangerous but not inherently bad or evil." Also the overall aesthetics that Dark Souls and Hollow Knight here especially use, giving it a more organic feel, is rad as hell.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Genocyber posted:

The Abyss is probably the area of the game that was influenced most directly by Dark Souls and definitely benefits from it. Usually when a video game talks about the dark it's the Kingdom Hearts-esque "DAAAAAARKNEEEESSS" sort of thing, but Dark Souls and related titles go for more "this is a living thing that is quite dangerous but not inherently bad or evil." Also the overall aesthetics that Dark Souls and Hollow Knight here especially use, giving it a more organic feel, is rad as hell.
Another thing: notice that light and dark aesthetics are inverted here. Soft light and shadow is aligned with the forces of civilization, as embodied in the King and the Queen. Darkness is portrayed as primordial, but also sheltering - which makes sense. They're bugs.

And harsh light is aligned with the plague.

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

Jetrauben posted:

Another thing: notice that light and dark aesthetics are inverted here. Soft light and shadow is aligned with the forces of civilization, as embodied in the King and the Queen. Darkness is portrayed as primordial, but also sheltering - which makes sense. They're bugs.

And harsh light is aligned with the plague.

Maybe ancestral memories from bored kids having fun with magnifying glasses.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

In regards of the White Lady she's almost certainly some kind of plant and I suspect she hasn't roots all over Hollownest, maybe when she wants to move she regrows the speaking bit in a new location? In any case I wonder if the Dream Nail Trees are part of her body, would explain why they have knowledge and Bardoon proves that Dream Nail can get different responses from different body parts.

I also have a suspicion as to the Idea planted within the Chosen Hollow Knight based on the statue of him but I might hold off until we know more in general.

Also also it's interesting that nobody calls the main character Hollow Knight, instead it's ghost of spirit etc.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I don;t think the Up+B upgrade 'puzzle' is all that esoteric... As long as you remember the way the move looks. All the screaming faces are a pretty good indicator.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lazy Bear posted:

I don;t think the Up+B upgrade 'puzzle' is all that esoteric... As long as you remember the way the move looks. All the screaming faces are a pretty good indicator.

Also the dreamnail dialogue is "Our voices will cry out again", and the only ability you have that that fits is the howling wraiths.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
When you first walk in to the area where the White Lady is, there's a corpse of a very fancy looking bug out front. I honestly thought THAT was going to be the Queen at first since it has such a fancy and regal looking design. Can you dream nail that body for something?

Also, that giant statue thing with the flowing bowl of darkness? It did something when you dream nail'd it but I have no clue what. looked like it had a barrier around it or something. But the idea that that thing is/was alive/sentient is pretty frightening. :gonk:

And now that we have some more lore about the King and implications about his role in bug-history, it at first made me think that this weird plague isn't actually a plague but an un-doing of whatever it was that the King did. That the insane bugs are just the "real" natural, feral bugs before the King gifted them sentience. It seems unlikely because of stuff like the corrupted crossroads and other things that seem to be spreading the infection instead of just bugs "going feral", but that would be an interesting twist imo. For now though I'm gonna guess that the plague may have been created by some rival creature similar to the King. If the King is supposed to be like a god to the bugs, maybe the plague was created by whatever the equivalent of the devil is.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

ousire posted:

When you first walk in to the area where the White Lady is, there's a corpse of a very fancy looking bug out front. I honestly thought THAT was going to be the Queen at first since it has such a fancy and regal looking design. Can you dream nail that body for something?

Highwang did dream nail the body; she says "Protect...". To find out more about her, you need to talk to the White Lady while wearing the Defender's Crest. Also worth noting: A ton of dead traitor mantises right in front of her corpse.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Lazy Bear posted:

I had some trouble in my first run because I had literally never used the up-spell since obtaining it :v:. Without testing, it seemed to me like, because the AoE is so big, it can't deal very good damage. So I saved all my mana for healing/fireball.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

In regards of the White Lady she's almost certainly some kind of plant and I suspect she hasn't roots all over Hollownest, maybe when she wants to move she regrows the speaking bit in a new location? In any case I wonder if the Dream Nail Trees are part of her body, would explain why they have knowledge and Bardoon proves that Dream Nail can get different responses from different body parts.

I also have a suspicion as to the Idea planted within the Chosen Hollow Knight based on the statue of him but I might hold off until we know more in general.

Also also it's interesting that nobody calls the main character Hollow Knight, instead it's ghost of spirit etc.

We've actually seen her roots before. Remember Kingdom's Edge? Those luminous roots all throughout the place?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Interesting little bit here. The White Lady refers to Hornet as the Gendered Child. Everybody's been referring to you and the Hollow Knight as 'it' when applicable. Vessels are genderless.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Which reminds me that it is not explicitly said that Hornet is the biological daughter of the Spider Leader, only that the Spider Leader is her mother, and all things considered I feel it’s just as likely she is the child of the Abyss and the King, given Hornet is Bug shaped not spider shaped, and she uses her needle and thread to replicate web-weaving.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The White Lady feels kind of different from everyone else we've talked to, and I think I've finally worked out why. She comes across as completely... unguarded. She's talking to us like we're not even there, which is kind of good and kind of bad, I think? But I don't get the feeling that she's holding anything back.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Maybe by the 'sea' the lighthouse bug meant that black void sea?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

fractalairduct posted:

Maybe by the 'sea' the lighthouse bug meant that black void sea?

It's this. His dream memory thing was pretty much 'I'd have turned this light on but the the inky black death tentacles have convinced me that they're my pals so I'm not going to.'

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Which reminds me that it is not explicitly said that Hornet is the biological daughter of the Spider Leader, only that the Spider Leader is her mother, and all things considered I feel it’s just as likely she is the child of the Abyss and the King, given Hornet is Bug shaped not spider shaped, and she uses her needle and thread to replicate web-weaving.

It's not explicitly stated but it's pretty strong implied with the White Lady's use of the world "dalliance" to refer to the Wyrm's and Herrah's association as well as her being very un-vessel-like (that had to come from somewhere). Also Occam's Razor.

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

Hey Highwang, can you include a little snippet of your failures in the White Palace accompanied by Yakety Sax, or other similar music of your choice? Or try to speed run it through nail pogo, Mark of Pride and Quick Slash.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I'm honestly amazed neither of you called out the MASSIVE PILE of corpses/empty masks at the bottom of the entrance, by the way.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

GenericOverusedName posted:

I'm honestly amazed neither of you called out the MASSIVE PILE of corpses/empty masks at the bottom of the entrance, by the way.

They speak for themselves.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Something hilarious just happened to me in game. I was fighting the Traitor Lord and I managed to die at the exact same time that Cloth did. This caused the bodies of Cloth and the Lord to appear when I got back there, but I hadn't finished the fight so they were also there running around.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Regarding the just uploaded episode that doesn't have an update here yet:

Regarding the Millibelle quest, it's a great play on the bank side quest you see in some games like Majora's Mask. Storing enough money in the bank typically gets you some sort of rare item, here it just gets you theft...at least at first. Because something you missed, Highwang, is that you can get all your money, and then some, back from her at the Pleasure House. Just keep whacking at her with your nail and you'll get like double your money back. Quickest way is to repeatedly pogo bounce off of her.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Genocyber posted:

Regarding the just uploaded episode that doesn't have an update here yet:

Regarding the Millibelle quest, it's a great play on the bank side quest you see in some games like Majora's Mask. Storing enough money in the bank typically gets you some sort of rare item, here it just gets you theft...at least at first. Because something you missed, Highwang, is that you can get all your money, and then some, back from her at the Pleasure House. Just keep whacking at her with your nail and you'll get like double your money back. Quickest way is to repeatedly pogo bounce off of her.

Whacking the bank itself is also hilarious/rage inducing.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Maybe don't talk about videos that haven't been linked here yet.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

Maybe don't talk about videos that haven't been linked here yet.

I put that header there for a reason. Considering the video is freely available there's not really a reason not to discuss it.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Genocyber posted:

I put that header there for a reason. Considering the video is freely available there's not really a reason not to discuss it.
Since the impetus is apparently necessary, I do hope that y'all are at least subscribed to the Highwang Variety Show (r,c,tm,please give me money) but with work I can't really post updates here until later in the day. I'd say as a common courtesy, spoiler tag any discussion for the day's episode that hasn't made its way to here yet.

To wit:

New update: Episode 23: The 1800 Brain Knife

In order to even attempt the best ending, the Dream Nail needs to have at least 1800 soul energy in order to peer into "protected minds." This basically means you will need to do the three big major boss refights, along with a majority of lesser mid-bosses. I do skip 1-2 midbosses in this video by merit of I just suck at them in general, but yeah to get to 1800 you don't need to do the trees at all sadly. We get some bits of story from the Soul Tyrant but not a whole lot.

As for the whole Millibelle thing. WAT. Someone tell me how to edit font size on SA because I never loving knew about this and know how to open up episode 25 now.

Next episode: The worst level in the game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Highwang posted:

In order to even attempt the best ending, the Dream Nail needs to have at least 1800 soul energy in order to peer into "protected minds." This basically means you will need to do the three big major boss refights, along with a majority of lesser mid-bosses. I do skip 1-2 midbosses in this video by merit of I just suck at them in general, but yeah to get to 1800 you don't need to do the trees at all sadly.

You only need 1800 Essence for the endings...
But completionists will need 2400 Essence to hear dialogue from the Seer that sheds a bit of information on the plot! And that's a completionist's real reward - text boxes. Just like Dark Souls.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 24, 2017

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Highwang posted:

Them's fighting words.
(not really, I was and still am really annoyed with the slapfights around that level, and people can very well disagree with me, but I thought the level was Cool and Good)

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

Highwang posted:

I do skip 1-2 midbosses in this video by merit of I just suck at them in general,

There's one "refight" in particular I'm thinking of that I'd be extremely surprised if you decided to skip, so I wonder if you're saving it for later or if you don't have the good fortune to be aware of it, especially since it's easily missed, you didn't even hint at it when related events occurred, and seemed to imply that there was nothing more to them.

Anyway, I ought not give too much away just in case, but you might want to take a good look around Dirtmouth proper again.

FrankZP fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 24, 2017

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I love No Eyes so much, because she gives a lot of insight into how the infection worked, and how hosed up and desperate people became trying to escape from it.

The infection starts with the dreams of a light, bright and burning and terrible. What she says - speak such loathsome things as you sleep, claws scratch and scrape - that's the infection taking hold over them. Bugs went mad, and started attacking people in their sleep. If you dream nail some husk enemies, a lot of the dialogue implies similar things - they speak of a light, of burning, of being asleep, not being able to wake up.

Her boss area is the Stone Sanctuary. It is one of those areas that are completely pitch black, you can't navigate it without having bought the lantern. This place was supposed to be dark and safe, a refuge from the plague and the light. But they were still haunted by it, could still see it... She tore out her eyes, and either her children did it themselves or she did it to them. But still they all saw it, that horrible light, even in their sleep... There was only one way to escape it. There is only one way to stop dreaming, forever.

The music that plays during her fight is unique. This fight is just her voice, singing one last lullaby to her children.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 24, 2017

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Highwang posted:

Hoooooo boy. I'm among the camp of "it was a cool break from the normal gameplay, but holy poo poo did it overstay its welcome." Didn't help that I didn't know the badge combo you could cheese it with.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You really only need to do one refight to awaken the dreamknife, if you do all the threes and dream spirits.

e: Oh drat, is it that time already? Well, good luck playing Super Hollow Meat Knight.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I hope that Highwang knows that unless they're 100% terrible at it, it's much faster to use Deep Focus + Grubsong than it is to use Hiveblood for this.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I really liked collecting all the dreams, even with the tree hunting. Helped me poke around the zone instead of zooming through looking for the next big upgrade. And Granny Moth is always so happy and cheerful, yet a touch cranky. Kinda reminds me of mine :unsmith:

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Speaking of Mirabelle, I also recently found out that you can attack the one guard in the hot spring at the Colosseum. Since he's in the spring, though, he just heals every time you hit him.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

bewilderment posted:

I hope that Highwang knows that unless they're 100% terrible at it, it's much faster to use Deep Focus + Grubsong than it is to use Hiveblood for this.

I hope you're aware of my brand.

Really though, Hiveblood is free and I'm a patient man.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Highwang posted:

Next episode: The best level in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

FrankZP posted:

There's one "refight" in particular I'm thinking of that I'd be extremely surprised if you decided to skip, so I wonder if you're saving it for later or if you don't have the good fortune to be aware of it, especially since it's easily missed, you didn't even hint at it when related events occurred, and seemed to imply that there was nothing more to them.

Anyway, I ought not give too much away just in case, but you might want to take a good look around Dirtmouth proper again.

If you're talking about Grey Prince Zote, Highwang has mentioned that boss in the lp before. I'm not sure if he knows about White Defender, though, seeing as how he didn't know about that room until someone brought it up in the thread.

• Locked thread