Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FMguru posted:

I'm the curator who froze and turned his head simultaneously.

No wait, i'm the silhouette filled with visible detail, like the distinctive irises in my eyes.

You read this stuff and realise the 'Don't make fun of renowned Dan Brown' article was going easy on him :o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inescapable Duck posted:

Reilly's version has a special forces free-for-all in an Antarctic base where the British have freeze grenades, the French have crossbows, and the Americans have grappling hook guns.

And it's loving awesome. (also, don't forget the giant leopard seals)

These are batshit insane adventure novels, for people that like batshit insane adventure novels, by a guy that fully embraces the batshit insanity. I mean, I'm pretty sure one of the books had bad guys throwing around FOOF grenades.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 14:01 on Oct 17, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All Dads Love Clive Cussler

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NoneMoreNegative posted:

You read this stuff and realise the 'Don't make fun of renowned Dan Brown' article was going easy on him :o:

Here's another article (from 2009) which picks out renowned author Dan Brown's 20 worst sentences.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

All Dads Love Clive Cussler

My dad hates Clive Cussler, but all his non-reading friends who know he likes to read bought him Cussler books. He had a whole shelf of them until he could use the excuse of moving to dump them on some poor unwitting Goodwill.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's Clive Cussler, Bernard Cornwell and Wilbur Smith that have occupied my dad's bookshelves for most of my life. Some Tom Clancys (he only likes the Jack Ryan ones) but surprisingly no Michael Crichtons.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

NoneMoreNegative posted:

How can you write that headline and not make it "Don't clown on renowned Dan Brown"?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You're all lucky: my dad has the full collection of Xanth novels.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Brawnfire posted:

How is therapy going?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Not great. Not... Great.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I had most of them too :( They were "racy" as a repressed 12-year-old girl. Luckily they got lost in a box of books (rip Kate Forsyth series) years ago and never got replaced because ew.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's Clive Cussler, Bernard Cornwell and Wilbur Smith that have occupied my dad's bookshelves for most of my life. Some Tom Clancys (he only likes the Jack Ryan ones) but surprisingly no Michael Crichtons.

I'm grateful society has moved past making movies out of Michael Crichton books. Even if Jurassic park was more entertaining as a movie then as a book.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Klaus88 posted:

I'm grateful society has moved past making movies out of Michael Crichton books. Even if Jurassic park was more entertaining as a movie then as a book.

Andromeda Strain was fantastic.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Klaus88 posted:

I'm a little surprised one of the "conservatives are oppressed in Hollywood" types like Rob Schneider or Kevin Sorbo hasn't made a film adaptation of State of Fear, really.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Klaus88 posted:

I've never read any Michael Crichton novels but the one really petty thing I've heard about them is how his book State of Fear (":tinfoil:Climate change isn't real! It was invented by the climate change fanatics! They've tricked everyone!:tinfoil:" as a novel) got a bad review, so in his subsequent novel, Next, he wrote in a scene where the critic's name is given to a child molester with a small penis.

That being said, there's a bit in the book DisneyWar where Michael Ovitz (co-founder of Creative Artists Agency who briefly became President of Disney before being ousted in a strange series of events) is quoted as saying that in his experience in publishing, the four "mega authors" of the 1990s - the Steven Spielbergs and Francis Ford Coppolas of publishing - were Tom Clancy, John Grisham, Stephen King and Michael Crichton. I can see the first three, but Crichton? Was he really that big a name or was it just because Jurassic Park was the most popular movie and ER was the most popular TV show?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've never read any Michael Crichton novels but the one really petty thing I've heard about them is how his book State of Fear (":tinfoil:Climate change isn't real! It was invented by the climate change fanatics! They've tricked everyone!:tinfoil:" as a novel) got a bad review, so in his subsequent novel, Next, he wrote in a scene where the critic's name is given to a child molester with a small penis.

That being said, there's a bit in the book DisneyWar where Michael Ovitz (co-founder of Creative Artists Agency who briefly became President of Disney before being ousted in a strange series of events) is quoted as saying that in his experience in publishing, the four "mega authors" of the 1990s - the Steven Spielbergs and Francis Ford Coppolas of publishing - were Tom Clancy, John Grisham, Stephen King and Michael Crichton. I can see the first three, but Crichton? Was he really that big a name or was it just because Jurassic Park was the most popular movie and ER was the most popular TV show?

Crichton moved a poo poo ton of books in the 90s. I'd bet he sold more in more languages then Grisham and Clancy. I could look all this up, but why introduce facts when I have "feelings" (he was a huge author in 90s and early '00s)

Stephen King is the Wayne Gretzky of authors and no one will probably ever approach his numbers.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Stephen King is the Dark Souls of literature

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Michael Crichton was absolutely huge, and not just because his stuff got adapted into smash hits.

However I choose to only remember him for his petty pissbaby episode with the critic because it's so childish it overrides everything else.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Screaming Idiot posted:

If the something awful dot com forums has a triggering phrase, this is it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Xarbala posted:

Michael Crichton was absolutely huge, and not just because his stuff got adapted into smash hits.

However I choose to only remember him for his petty pissbaby episode with the critic because it's so childish it overrides everything else.

Yeah, he had a pretty bad meltdown going into the 2000s. Sucks, because I used to like a lot of his books and it just taints his work now.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Barry Bluejeans posted:

If the something awful dot com forums has a triggering phrase, this is it.

"X is the Dark Souls of Y" is the Dark Souls of memes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Klaus88 posted:

Westworld is still a thing.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Besesoth posted:

"X is the Dark Souls of Y" is the Dark Souls of memes.

"'X is the Dark Souls of Y' is the Dark Souls of memes." is the Undertale of Dark Souls comparisons.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, he had a pretty bad meltdown going into the 2000s. Sucks, because I used to like a lot of his books and it just taints his work now.

9/11 broke some people's brains in a way they never recovered from. See also Orson Scott Card and that guy that draws the aardvark comic.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Dark Souls

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Dork Souls

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Dirk Souls is a Clive Cussler book, right?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Stephen King is the Citizen Kane of horror writers.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Brawnfire posted:

Speaking of which, have a friendly reminder that Piers Anthony is alive and sufficiently well to keep writing prolifically (even if Wikipedia pages for his specific books seem to have stopped updating somewhere in 2013, same as the bibliography section on his website).

Hope your father has his series kept up to date.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I know for sure he's up to "cube route", there.

Jesus Christ.

I actually kind of liked the first three, and then sightly less the next few... Then it was a long, slow plunge into nothing but puns, weird panty poo poo, etc.

the whole weird adulthood thing where there's some kind of literal sexy line like instapuberty, but then lol and behold all sorts of weird magic blurs that line so kids metamorphised into adults can enjoy magic statutory rape I guess. Xanth is Florida, though, and it helps to remember that.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

9/11 broke some people's brains in a way they never recovered from. See also Orson Scott Card and that guy that draws the aardvark comic.

Dave Sim lost his mind way before 9/11, for what it's worth. You may be thinking of Dan Simmons, one of the archetypal victims of the Brain Eater.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Screaming Idiot posted:

I dunno man, I never regretted the time I invested into Dark Souls.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Dave Sim lost his mind way before 9/11, for what it's worth. You may be thinking of Dan Simmons, one of the archetypal victims of the Brain Eater.

Yeah as I recall he started putting weird misogynist screeds in the back pages of Cerebus like 25 years ago.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Powaqoatse posted:

Yeah as I recall he started putting weird misogynist screeds in the back pages of Cerebus like 25 years ago.

I thought Cerebus was nothing but tracts against women, and something about an aardvark. Sims wanted to be an independent writer who wrote 300 issues of his own comic, but he only had enough content for 200, so he used his own personal issues to substitute.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 09:19 on Oct 18, 2017

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
I read Lamps' takedown of Ian Banks and I largely agree - especially the part about the Culture's eccentricity vs everyone else's barbaric perversity. Like, everyone in the universe is hosed up but somehow the Culture gets a pass because they're hosed up in the right ways. I don't agree, however, that the settings' binary choice between regressive assholes and all-permissive ultra-liberalism is somehow a philosophical or ideological failing of the book or author. Banks doesn't strike me as trying to write some kind of liberal "Atlas Shrugged" - the Culture is just this quirky place he gets to use as a backdrop for his spaceship books.

To bring this back to terrible books - I've actually only read Consider Phlebas by Banks. Goons have been recommending Banks as an author of decent hard sci-fi, so I wanted to give him a try. Apparently Consider Phlebas is the first Culture novel, but as an introduction it gave me absolutely zero insight into the larger setting, and no desire to find out more.

The main character is a shape-shifter who gets hired by the Culture's enemies to go bring back a Culture AI that's crashed on a planet that only shape-shifters are allowed to land on. And none of this has any impact on the story. The protagonist starts out disguised as an old man, gets stranded in space and picked up by a bunch of pirates, and slowly starts shifting to a younger body. When the rest of the crew notices, it's just shrugged off as an effect of rest and recuperation. After a weird sidestory where the protagonist gets stranded on an island with cannibal cultists he shifts to take the identity of the pirate captain and steal his spaceship. He casually blows his cover (or has it blown, don't remember) after about 24 hours aboard the ship, and none of the crew gives a poo poo. Then they land on the forbidden planet, but for some reason everyone who isn't a shape-shifter gets to come along anyway.

The fact that the protagonist is a shape-shifter has absolutely no impact on the plot, and nothing he does or experiences has any relevance. He just stumbles from one weird place to another (Now he's on a planet ruled by old people! Now he's on an abandoned supercruiser! Now he's on an island of crazed cannibals! Now he's playing poker for the fate of a doomed planet!) and nothing matters. In the end I think he actually doesn't give the the AI over to the Culture's enemies, and in an epilogue we find that this was such a splendid action that they named a spaceship after him 500 years in the future or something. That's it, end of story. Then in the back there's a timeline of events that they never mention in the book and has no relevance to the events taking place, and the entire setting is actually in the past and the Culture are actually not humans? Or something?

And the entire book is filled with these grotesque details. Like, the story opens with the protagonist locked in a dungeon with sewage pipes connected straight to toilets installed in the chairs at a banquet of the ruling class, so he'll eventually drown in sewage. The rich and powerful are literally going to poo poo him to death while they eat and drink. And the cult he gets caught by later has these hosed up tenets where only the leader is allowed to eat meat - everyone else is forced to live off garbage and excrement. The cult leader is grotesquely fat, eats the meat off of people's bones while they're still alive and eventually suffocates a prisoner with his gigantic rear end.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mr. Sunshine posted:

and nothing matters. In the end I think he actually doesn't give the the AI over to the Culture's enemies, and in an epilogue we find that this was such a splendid action that they named a spaceship after him 500 years in the future or something. That's it, end of story. Then in the back there's a timeline of events that they never mention in the book and has no relevance to the events taking place, and the entire setting is actually in the past and the Culture are actually not humans? Or something?

That's the whole point of the book - after all his struggles, after all the blood sweat and tears, nobody cares. Nobody even knows what happened, apart from the Mind he rescues (they don't name a Ship after him, the Mind names itself after him) and his long running enemy, who promptly autoeuthanises because of the sheer futility of it all. War sucks, and while the events of the book meant a great deal to Horza and the Mind, it just gets lost among the billions of other deaths and struggles of the Idiran war, callously summarised in the epilogue as "a fairly minor conflict".

The island cannibals I can't defend. Banks likes to play around with weird poo poo (the eccentricity vs perversion is a deliberate false dichotomy that runs through the whole series) but he takes it too far, and those chapters just drag on with seemingly no purpose.

Edit: If we want to slag off and Iain Banks book, I'd like to put forward his non-"M" Walking on Glass - 3 disconnected and largely tedious narratives that clumsily smash together to give the freshman level message of "what even is real, dude?"

Strom Cuzewon has a new favorite as of 11:07 on Oct 18, 2017

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Orson Scott Card didn't get suckered by the brain-eater, he was already a frothing fuckhead on account of being a raging homophobe who is clearly so far in the closet he's being buggered by Aslan.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of the first things I can remember reading which I thought was overwrought enough it made me go, "Oh, come on :rolleyes:" was the blurb/mini-review Orson Scott Card wrote for fellow Mormon fantasy author Dave Wolverton's (a.k.a. David Farland) novel The Runelords.

quote:

A new series, set in a world of mages and earth wardens, kings and knights equitable, glamors and Voices, endowments and Dedicates, force horses and reavers. Swords flash. Cruelty abounds. Men and women obey their lords and die for it, or worse, do deeds so terrible they cannot bear to live with them. [Farland] explores the very nature of virtue and finds disturbing contradictions at the heart of every moral question. Good men and women find themselves serving evil for good reasons; people who long served evil waken and discover their honor. Love can be noble and self-sacrificing; it can be lusty and filled with pleasure. When I reached the end of this first volume,The Runelords, and saw grace arise from a devastating battlefield where too many great hearts lay dead, Farland had earned the tears that came to my eyes. It was not sentiment but epiphany.

And then the novel is just this generic high fantasy story that apparently lifts a whole bunch of stuff from the Book of Mormon.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of the first things I can remember reading which I thought was overwrought enough it made me go, "Oh, come on :rolleyes:" was the blurb/mini-review Orson Scott Card wrote for fellow Mormon fantasy author Dave Wolverton's (a.k.a. David Farland) novel The Runelords.

And then the novel is just this generic high fantasy story that apparently lifts a whole bunch of stuff from the Book of Mormon.

Oh man, I actually read that series, though it was like a decade back and I don't really remember a whole lot about it. But yeah, from what I do remember it was pretty generic if serviceable fantasy. Now I can't help but wonder how the Mormonism played into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
All this is making me picture Dark Souls set in Maine. Like that one horror game that everyone was talking about then forgot about some years ago, but with even more death.