Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Okay so ElMaligno piqued my curiosity and I bought Caves of Qud. I'm a veteran of NetHack and Dwarf Fortress so it's not unfamiliar, but the content is new for me since I didn't get far into HellMOO. Trying to figure out a way to shrink the size of the tileset since it is huge.

Is this similar to Tales of Maj'Eyal?

I am a sucker for rogue likes and used to play the poo poo out of old school MUDs because I am a turbo nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Never played that one. Dying frequently learning the mechanics since I don't want to run to a wiki and spoil figuring it out. It's a little uncomfortable since I'm so used to DF adventure mode where you have to interact with everything in complex ways. Like I'm used to "use right hand to grab enemy's left third finger and use left hand to bash enemy's right eye socket with silver hammer" whereas this is more like NetHack's direction+attack button/hotkey.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Never played that one. Dying frequently learning the mechanics since I don't want to run to a wiki and spoil figuring it out. It's a little uncomfortable since I'm so used to DF adventure mode where you have to interact with everything in complex ways. Like I'm used to "use right hand to grab enemy's left third finger and use left hand to bash enemy's right eye socket with silver hammer" whereas this is more like NetHack's direction+attack button/hotkey.

Yeah I used to play Dwarf Fortress but never really got too far in adventure mode. I do remember sneaking into a village and murdering all the children at night. When the parents woke up and found their dead kids one of the moms went beserk and killed a couple of villagers. That in turn caused a spouse to beserk and the entire village spiraled into a giant brawl that killed everything except some of the livestock.

Regular fortress mode took too many 3rd party programs to really get running smoothly. I have played a bit of rimworld since.

TOME is a traditional roguelike that switched from Tales of Middle Earth over to generic fantasy. It's free from the website and like 8 bucks on steam if you want to support the dev. It's got a couple of nifty tile sets and plays pretty well with keyboard or mouse controls.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Okay so ElMaligno piqued my curiosity and I bought Caves of Qud. I'm a veteran of NetHack and Dwarf Fortress so it's not unfamiliar, but the content is new for me since I didn't get far into HellMOO. Trying to figure out a way to shrink the size of the tileset since it is huge.

Be a mutated human marauder with two hearts and regeneration, use dual exotic axes, shoot a flame thrower at your enemies, dismember the enemy limbs and eat their limbs, wear their faces, decapitate them, let them dismember you and eat your limbs.

Be a literal human torso baking in the sun while you wait for your limbs to regrow.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

also if you close the game when you die, the game wont delete your file so you can save scum you way into knowing a bit more about the game and poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Evil Within is such a dumb loving game why do I keep playing it

It's endless

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oh no the plants are trying to kill me and I pissed off some kind of crocodile god with a forcefield

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Okay so I kited the crocodile god back into town so the goons would kill it, was briefly chased by a bear, then started looting his lair. It's a multi z-level dungeon with some okay farming for XP and semi-useless items I'm selling back to the merchant for cash. Starting to get the hang of this.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Internet VFW > Oh no the plants are trying to kill me and I pissed off some kind of crocodile god with a forcefield

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

"yet"? Hasn't the thing been out for like, 6 months?

That being said, I do have the banana dock that goons insist isn't actually a real thing

Banana dock?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Defect where half of the dock is bent inward and scratches against the Switch's screen when you slide it in

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Preordering Wolfenstein 2 is the impetus I have for fixing my turbofucked computer, which I think is facing a dying motherboard or bad RAM or both. That and playing PUBG on Discord with you lot. Funny that the common thread with the two is shooting actual Nazis and shooting people with fashy haircuts.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I bought this yesterday and it's pretty fun http://store.steampowered.com/app/722730/Cogmind/

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

$18 is a bit much to be asking for a *hack game.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

suboptimal posted:

Preordering Wolfenstein 2 is the impetus I have for fixing my turbofucked computer, which I think is facing a dying motherboard or bad RAM or both. That and playing PUBG on Discord with you lot. Funny that the common thread with the two is shooting actual Nazis and shooting people with fashy haircuts.

What's up with your computer? Mine was crashing pretty frequently when playing any game and it turned out the PSU was overheating from the shitload of dust inside :downs:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I started having some issues with Windows Explorer a few weeks ago, namely that it wasn’t reading some drives properly or showing that files had been copied from one folder to the other (I’d have to refresh the destination folder to get any changes to show.) I figured I’d start with a fresh install, so I basically stripped it down to base Windows 10. Since then, I’ve developed an issue where the computer will straight up hard lock after about 15-20 minutes of use, forcing me to do a hard restart. The Event Viewer hasn’t given me any insights on this, and my last ditch effort is going to involve formatting C entirely and reinstalling Windows via a flash drive in the hopes that something is just corrupted in my OS. It even froze on my log-in screen yesterday.

I may pull my case apart and give it a spray with some compressed air, but given that the crashes seem to be occurring within 15-20 minutes of use and no more frequently than that, I don’t think it’s a heat issue. Whatever the case, my mobo, RAM, CPU and PSU are all four years old so maybe it’s time to replace some components.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My poo poo is dying but I need to last until Black Friday. Not because of the money, per say, but because there's probably gonna be new shiny stuff soon and Black Friday is a good excuse to get a few dollars off the new poo poo.

I'm down two USB hubs (left with 3 USB ports right now) and my i5 2500k w/ 8GB of RAM is getting pretty long in the tooth. It can make it :unsmith:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

black friday? or...CYBER MONDAY

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
My last system lasted all the way from mid 2009 until this August. It lasted about two years longer than anticipated because of my stay in the US, but getting a new system for a little more than the same money after 8 years felt like a loving quantum leap.

Decked myself out with a few business casual attires for the next couple of months, gonna buy some more after I've lost about 20 pounds, and I feel like blowing some money on some nifty and/or quality of life gadgets for my system in the interim.

I'm thinking a second dedicated SSD only for games. The Evos are down to about 75 bucks, and I don't think I'll be able to fill up yet another 250GB just in games, but the 500GB models are on sale for about 150-160 already, that's still perfectly sufferable.

And a fingerprint reader. I'm too lazy to enter my windows password, and I figured there have got to be some gadgets that you can combine with KeePass or some other password database so all you're doing to log into any website ever is swipe a finger.
That stuff exists...right?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

black friday? or...CYBER MONDAY

Legit :lol: at this on the bus. Thank you for that.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

suboptimal posted:

I started having some issues with Windows Explorer a few weeks ago, namely that it wasn’t reading some drives properly or showing that files had been copied from one folder to the other (I’d have to refresh the destination folder to get any changes to show.) I figured I’d start with a fresh install, so I basically stripped it down to base Windows 10. Since then, I’ve developed an issue where the computer will straight up hard lock after about 15-20 minutes of use, forcing me to do a hard restart. The Event Viewer hasn’t given me any insights on this, and my last ditch effort is going to involve formatting C entirely and reinstalling Windows via a flash drive in the hopes that something is just corrupted in my OS. It even froze on my log-in screen yesterday.

I may pull my case apart and give it a spray with some compressed air, but given that the crashes seem to be occurring within 15-20 minutes of use and no more frequently than that, I don’t think it’s a heat issue. Whatever the case, my mobo, RAM, CPU and PSU are all four years old so maybe it’s time to replace some components.

Oh that sucks :( Mine also wasn't giving anything in Event Viewer beyond "Hey, windows didn't shut down right!" and that was due to some weird error 10 bug that I hotfixed. Dusting it probably couldn't hurt but that sounds a lot more involved than my dumb problem.

Vasudus posted:

My poo poo is dying but I need to last until Black Friday. Not because of the money, per say, but because there's probably gonna be new shiny stuff soon and Black Friday is a good excuse to get a few dollars off the new poo poo.

I'm down two USB hubs (left with 3 USB ports right now) and my i5 2500k w/ 8GB of RAM is getting pretty long in the tooth. It can make it :unsmith:

i52500ks are the little processors that could :unsmith:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm thinking a second dedicated SSD only for games. The Evos are down to about 75 bucks, and I don't think I'll be able to fill up yet another 250GB just in games, but the 500GB models are on sale for about 150-160 already, that's still perfectly sufferable.

I did that on my current build and it was absolutely worth it. I went a little crazy and bought a 1TB model because I usually have tons of mods that add up fast, though. My New Vegas install at its peak was nearly 70GB :haw:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I love my surface pro 4 but gently caress if they don't have a ton of small quirky issues

overall worth it tho

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
A game with perma-death that allows you to die by falling into a sewage tank is just loving evil.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

A game with perma-death that allows you to die by falling into a sewage tank is just loving evil.

ahahahahaha welcome to finland

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Gothic guys made a new game. It seems ok so far.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/411300/ELEX/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

holy poo poo

gothic 1, 2 and risen are like, my favorite games ever

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I have discovered an order of Knights Templar two floors below the lair of the crocodile god. They're friendly and luckily one of them was dead and dropped carbide equipment. Now to go see if this is better than the steel mace I've been bashing amoebae with.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

A potted plant is offering to sell me guns and cucumbers

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

anyone play gran turismo yet

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Yea. It’s light on guided single player content. If all you wanna do is race cool cars on fun tracks against AI or time trials, it’s good.

Plays amazingly well on a gamepad. Looks great in 4K HDR too.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

whats up for the vr stuff

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
No idea. Don’t have vr

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Yes, multiplayer is tits, and thanks to safety rating people arent using each other as bumpers going into corners. The 10 or so races ive seen have been really clean no real shitters ramming people.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I’m still playing a shitload of NBA 2K18. So that’s my life now.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

A potted plant is offering to sell me guns and cucumbers

Wait till you find the cave full of bear scientists.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Golgotha :stare:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Third World Reggin posted:

hello weekend game

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Vasudus posted:

hello weekend game

So a bit of warning about it. The reviews are right, the graphics are dated, the controls are janky, and the UI is bad.

But the best review is this one.

quote:

- First 10 minutes, died twice to a scavenger, er I mean, grunt biter - Gothic 1/2 nostalgia - Check.
- Tried to hack my way through the first fight - stamina ran out!! - KO - Gothic 1/2 nostalgia - Check.
- Turned off the beaten path - found a reaver / raider - one hit KO - Gothic 1/2 nostalgia - Check.
- Reaver / raider fight - after 20 or 30 tries managed to actually kite and kill the guy (with a rusty axe) without being hit a single time - at level 1!!! - those rewards!!!! - Gothic 1/2 nostalgia - Check.
- Found a first companion - offered to take me to the first town - Gothic 1/2 nostalgia - Check
- Angered the guy with wrong answer to one of his question - fight - KO - Gothic 1/2 nostalgia - Check
- Traveled with him for 5 minutes, made a wrong turn - F*** massive troll - one hit KO - Gothic 1/2 nostalgia - Check.
- Another 3 minutes walking - wrong turn - raider camp - one hit KO - Gothic 1/2 nostalgia - Check.
- Got into town - waited till nightfall, started robbing people blind - Gothic 1/2 nostalgia - Check.
- Got discovered during theft...everyone around reacted - KO - Gothic 1/2 nostalgia - Check.

It is basically everything I would expect from those developers and I am enjoying it.

If you are new to the series, expect to die the first few times in combat until you get a feel for it. Also you may have to play for an hour or two before this game starts to feel good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Enjoy your new diseases, yuckwheat and honey will work for a bit but there is an albino gorilla that sells the book you need.

also you gonna get this gun