Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Byzantine posted:

How much does a kilogram weigh?

iospace posted:

Some arbitrary value set by the French.

Actually, it's being redefined:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMByI4s-D-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo0jm1PPRuo

Zamboni Rodeo has a new favorite as of 01:38 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Byzantine posted:

Depends on where you are.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was looking through the stupid reports thread and couldn't understand how an image from ages ago of a report from this thread had updated the title.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Byzantine posted:

Two farthings. Which I believe is equal to a ? Not sure, I don't use the metron system.

VeganEverestDeath
May 1, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

Two farthings. Which I believe is equal to a ? Not sure, I don't use the metron system.

A farthing is how much it costs you to have a thing shipped far. Two farthings is almost double that.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

VeganEverestDeath posted:

A farthing is how much it costs you to have a thing shipped far. Two farthings is almost double that.

I always thought trolls had the best measurement system.

One, Two, Three, Many,
Many-One, Many-Two, Many-Three, Many-Many,
Many-Many-One, Many-Many-Two, Many-Many-Three, Many-Many-Many,
Many-Many-Many-One, Many-Many-Many-Two, Many-Many-Many-Three, Lots

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Remember that doctor that was beaten an dragged off of an overbooked United Airlines flight?

Officers fired after removal of United passenger

quote:

The aviation department, acting on the inspector general's findings, fired the officer "who improperly escalated the incident," the inspector general's office said. The sergeant "involved in the deliberate removal of facts from an employee report" also was terminated, officials said.

And the cherry on top of this poo poo sandwich:

quote:

United conceded the flight was neither overbooked or oversold, despite its initial claims.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
oh my god i wish i could shove that in the face of every bootlicking fuckstick that defended the airline/officers til they were blue in the face

but it's too late now so that would make me seem like a crazy person, also they seem to be even deeper into their beliefs these days so yeah

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Doggles posted:

And the cherry on top of this poo poo sandwich:
...then why on earth was he removed at all? :psyduck:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

iospace posted:

Some arbitrary value set by the French.

I know you're joking, but I reeeeeeeeealllllly want to say "go ahead and tell us how the pound was defined then :colbert:" :haw:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Solice Kirsk posted:

Reminder that the Imperial system also created this:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

United Is Really Bad

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Another truck ran the light at our favorite bridge, with predictable results. I will never get tired of these.
https://youtu.be/yWsSYzMGZws

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

I know you're joking, but I reeeeeeeeealllllly want to say "go ahead and tell us how the pound was defined then :colbert:" :haw:

*pounds you on the arm* thats how nerd!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Byzantine posted:

That depends on the local value of g.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Byzantine posted:

1 kgf, under standard gravity.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Four united employees wanted/needed to deadhead to the destination city. The employee were not holding paid tickets (which they wouldn't), so the flight was sold to capacity.

The whole thing just reinforces why I hate flying and try to drive everywhere if feasible. I enjoy driving and have no problem taking a few days to get where I need to be. The only time I fly these days is if there's an on-site emergency I need to deal with for work.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Weatherman posted:

Ultimately, the weight of a grain of wheat or barley.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Weatherman posted:

Ok, fine, it was originally based on water but now it's based off an arbitrary value currently stored in Paris.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

SpacePig posted:

Another truck ran the light at our favorite bridge, with predictable results. I will never get tired of these.

Yeeees, the bridge must be fed.

VeganEverestDeath
May 1, 2017

Weatherman posted:

Four out of five international experts agreed that a pound of dick was about all that your mom's pussy could take. ISO

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Going back to non-slip shoe chat. The company people have talked about that offers a kind of insurance policy with their shoes is Shoes For Crews. I know at least when I worked for YUM! Brands (pizza hut, taco bell) the non-slip shoes were required and their cost came out of your paycheck. They had them in like 50 different styles. They would cost about 40 bucks. I still have a pair of knockoff high top non-slip Chuck Taylors. Those shoes are invincible and you will not slip wearing them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SpacePig posted:

Bonus points for fleeing the scene.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

SpacePig posted:

Man, that is messed up. The van IN FRONT of the truck ran the hell out of that red light, and the truck followed. I imagine that guy is going to be paying a bit higher fine than the usual sacrifices to the bridge god.

Edit: Oh Jesus, the way he leaves too. Was the truck stolen or something? Did a heist just get ruined?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
What's the standard (if there is one) height of trucks that causes people to not worry about the 11foot8 bridge? Is it significant enough that you couldn't just lower the under-bridge road and make it way less likely for trucks to smash into it?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MisterBibs posted:

What's the standard (if there is one) height of trucks that causes people to not worry about the 11foot8 bridge? Is it significant enough that you couldn't just lower the under-bridge road and make it way less likely for trucks to smash into it?

They can't lower the road or raise the bridge for reasons.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MisterBibs posted:

The delivery truck for my work, which is of similar height of that one that just got opened up, is 12' 6". Interstates minimum bridge clearance 14' in urban areas, 16' outside, and overhead signs and pedestrian bridges 17'.

iospace has a new favorite as of 05:12 on Oct 18, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MisterBibs posted:

Fourteen feet is the Interstate standard for urban areas.

Of course there are exceptions and no one wants to make a truck exactly fourteen feet tall.

Someone goes out and measures it in one of those videos. IIRC it’s nearly 11′ 11″. The sign is conservative.

The city can’t lower the road surface at all because there is a sewer line right beneath it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Most semis are 13' 6". So you have by design 6 inches of space in urban environments.

Mind you most cases you aren't dealing with 14' clearance but more than that.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

MisterBibs posted:

I like how every single time this bridge is posted, someone asks "can't they just raise the bridge or lower the road??"

Also something something eating hotdogs

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Considering the liveleak logo I'm assuming that guy died

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Free Drinks posted:

Man, that is messed up. The van IN FRONT of the truck ran the hell out of that red light, and the truck followed. I imagine that guy is going to be paying a bit higher fine than the usual sacrifices to the bridge god.

Edit: Oh Jesus, the way he leaves too. Was the truck stolen or something? Did a heist just get ruined?

Nah, he was probably just getting out of the way as not to impede traffic.

Lord Psychodin
Jun 16, 2007
Lord of the fools

:dukedog:
College Slice
The bridge hungers, and is fed. Feel not contempt for their foolish, if noble snackifices.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SpacePig posted:

Some serious shrapnel flew out of this one. A pedestrian with unlucky timing could get impaled one of these days.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Nah, an Impala would fit underneath

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, this might seem exceptionally mean-spirited, but gently caress him.

General Kelly's son, who was K.I.A., who he has asked before to be not brought up in public, has been utilised as a political talking point by Donnie.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

https://i.imgur.com/ZwFvCLZ.mp4

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Rarely do you see this much aftermath:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RD740IESnY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk