Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Half my drat tools say Craftsman on them. :smith:

There are memories associated with each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Powershift posted:

Some rear end in a top hat went around putting phone books on everybody's porch the other day.

Funny story time - several years ago this happened to me. They had a card attached with a url where you could opt out of future directories. I filled out the website and the following week I got a nice letter telling me I opted out. Attached to a phone directory. Called to complain, person I talked to was confused, apologetic, promised to resolve. The next week I had a letter telling me I opted out. Attached to phone directory.

Now I had 3 unwanted phone directories and two pointless opt out letters.

I gave up, and receive my annual opt out letter and phone directory with joy and happiness.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Powershift posted:

What the hell is this world coming to.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Goober Peas posted:

Anyone who grew up before the 90s.

:colbert:

(its really hard to relate to if you didn't live it)

They were typically the biggest store in the mall, had a little bit of everything, and everything was hands-on. They had cool cutaway displays of appliances - ever wonder what the inside of your vacuum looked like while it worked? Go to Sears, they had one on display.
The world was a different place.

And they had those tiles, where some of them were honed, but like every third one was polished, so you could jump/skip along only hitting the shiny ones.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
That first act of rebellion as a child, when demanding that you get a ren & stimpy t-shirt in recompense for having to stand still for an hour while some old person stuck you full of pins because it was new suit time.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

btw I had to move the 450lb monstrosity all by myself. Probably not the smartest thing since I just dislocated my shoulder a week ago and it still hurts like gently caress.

Ugh, I popped mine out last year laying out to grab a chicken :v:. Took about a month to get right.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Powershift posted:

I can speak english really loudly and really slowly. that usually works, right?

I tried it, but Korail's website is still lovely.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sears, ugh. I used to live in a small city that had poo poo for shopping (still does afaik) but going to the BIG CITY and heading to Sears with Grandpa in the 80s was awesome. Waiting for the Christmas catalog was a ritual for about 10 years of my life, slowly going through all the toys pages making a wish list (of which I'd get nothing... we were poor so it really was a dream), gradually maturing and looking at the electronics and associated stuff, and then not flipping quite so fast past the womens stuff. Right up until the mid-late 90s, they had all sorts of neat poo poo even in the store. Like Powershift said, a candy department, awesome tool selection, and the one I used to go to in Burnaby/Vancouver even had a collectibles area where they had collectible coins, silver, etc. I have to this day some 20s German hyper-inflation notes sitting somewhere that I bought there because I thought billion/million mark notes were neat.

For Americans that don't know, the Canadian Sears is going through full blown bankruptcy right now with liquidation expected to be finalized well before Christmas. People are not showing up to work anymore and benefits for retired employees are no longer being paid. Final liquidation starts (I think?) this Friday. Unfortunately the stores have gently caress all in them and have had bare warehouses for years because they couldn't afford inventory. The only thing left of Sears that has any value (other than some real estate holdings) is the Kenmore brand, and when the US division eventually goes tits up I wonder who's going to snag it.

e: Canadians, remember these? Add to the list if I'm forgetting any:

Wolco
Woolworths
The Met
Robinsons
MacLeods

of course Eatons

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 18, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Ahahahahah, Eatons.

The Eaton Centre in Toronto has outlasted its namesake, and the department store that took over after them.

Old people 'round here have said the word "Woolworths" a few times recently.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fermented Tinal posted:

Ahahahahah, Eatons.

The Eaton Centre in Toronto has outlasted its namesake, and the department store that took over after them.

Old people 'round here have said the word "Woolworths" a few times recently.

We had woolies in straya I think

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I loved Sears growing up, looking through the Christmas catalog is definitely a great memory. Worked in the warehouse at one and had goodnite times too.

In other news had to get my wagon towed home tonight. Symptoms of a low/dead battery but it won’t take a jump. Seems like a starter issue but since I’m sure no one cares it’s been acting up and everything else seems to point to battery. I tried to jump it and then aaa did and just had to tow it home. Yes I beat on the starter too no dice.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Sears, ugh. I used to live in a small city that had poo poo for shopping (still does afaik) but going to the BIG CITY and heading to Sears with Grandpa in the 80s was awesome. Waiting for the Christmas catalog was a ritual for about 10 years of my life, slowly going through all the toys pages making a wish list (of which I'd get nothing... we were poor so it really was a dream), gradually maturing and looking at the electronics and associated stuff, and then not flipping quite so fast past the womens stuff. Right up until the mid-late 90s, they had all sorts of neat poo poo even in the store. Like Powershift said, a candy department, awesome tool selection, and the one I used to go to in Burnaby/Vancouver even had a collectibles area where they had collectible coins, silver, etc. I have to this day some 20s German hyper-inflation notes sitting somewhere that I bought there because I thought billion/million mark notes were neat.

For Americans that don't know, the Canadian Sears is going through full blown bankruptcy right now with liquidation expected to be finalized well before Christmas. People are not showing up to work anymore and benefits for retired employees are no longer being paid. Final liquidation starts (I think?) this Friday. Unfortunately the stores have gently caress all in them and have had bare warehouses for years because they couldn't afford inventory. The only thing left of Sears that has any value (other than some real estate holdings) is the Kenmore brand, and when the US division eventually goes tits up I wonder who's going to snag it.

Wolco
Woolworths
The Met
Robinsons
MacLeods

of course Eatons

Sears is a fun story, because its a tale of Ayn Rand Libertarian style Management taken to its inevitable end.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's where the CEO had the store managers compete personally with each other for their jobs, right?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It was higher level poo poo too, like having departments compete for ad space.

I think they ended up advertising boys toys for mother's day one year.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Wolco
Woolworths
The Met
Robinsons
MacLeods

of course Eatons

Zellers
Target
Future Shop

Somehow Fields is still around, they've completely given up on the cities though.

http://www.fields.ca/location.php

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

IOwnCalculus posted:

I go into them because they're inevitably the easiest place to park next to the mall, especially in the summer where "minimizing time in the parking lot" is the winning strategy.

They're all dying shells. It's amazing how a company that was so far ahead so long ago has nose-dived so loving hard.

It's pretty sadly well documented what happened.

The answer is an idiot Randian Libertarian taking over and turning the management structure into Thunderdome, after missing the boat on being Amazon circa now by not having the capital and foresight to invest in online business in the late 90's.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Goober Peas posted:

Anyone who grew up before the 90s.

(its really hard to relate to if you didn't live it)

They were typically the biggest store in the mall, had a little bit of everything, and everything was hands-on. They had cool cutaway displays of appliances - ever wonder what the inside of your vacuum looked like while it worked? Go to Sears, they had one on display.
The world was a different place.

I'm nearly 40 bro, I lived it. It was horrible.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

Zellers
Target
Future Shop

Somehow Fields is still around, they've completely given up on the cities though.

http://www.fields.ca/location.php

Totem, Revy, Home Hardware...

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Rhyno posted:

Preach.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Home Hardware is actually still really big, especially in small towns.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

I miss Totem so loving much :(

But yeah there's still a Home Hardware all over. I was in one in Montreal even when I was there.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Adiabatic posted:

Probably not telling anyone anything new, but holy poo poo heroin is an epidemic right now.

HBO's "Heroin: Cape Cod, USA" documentary is practically unbelievable, and while it centers on Cape Cod (duh), the issue is more or less nationwide.

So is Fentanyl, which is way stronger.

Guess what a lot of heroin has been getting cut with? That's what got ahold of a friend of mine. :smith:

Rhyno posted:

What kind of weirdo has precious memories of Sears?

I preferred Montgomery Wards. :colbert:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 18, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fentanyl is not to be hosed with. They used it in the burn center my buddy worked in for pain spikes.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I just got in my order of 4" Stainless to build a full turbo back exhaust. I can't help but think I've made a terrible mistake. Anything I can fit my ENTIRE arm in might be too big...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Liquid Communism posted:

Fentanyl is not to be hosed with. They used it in the burn center my buddy worked in for pain spikes.

Yup. As little as 0.25mg can be lethal. And guess what? poo poo gets absorbed through the skin.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I miss Totem so loving much :(

But yeah there's still a Home Hardware all over. I was in one in Montreal even when I was there.

They are actually building a huge one in my small town that will not be much smaller than some home depots.

Beaver lumber and Saan are others.

I don't miss Zellers one bit. That store made Walmart look like high class shopping.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yup. As little as 0.25mg can be lethal. And guess what? poo poo gets absorbed through the skin.

Fentanyl is generally measured in micrograms. Like, that's 250 ug. 50-100 is a pretty hefty dose for most people, though we end up with kids with full body burns that take 300-400 at once :stonk:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

We print like a billion Home Hardware flyers every year and I can think of at least 5 HH Building Centres within an hour's drive of me.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Opioids were definitely overprescribed 10-15 years ago but instead of realizing they were duped by the drug companies doctors started cutting off dependent patients and dumping them onto using street drugs and surprise they're all dying now that cheap research chemicals from China are easy to purchase.

Good luck getting any pain relief beyond tylenol in 5-10 years btw.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

the spyder posted:

I just got in my order of 4" Stainless to build a full turbo back exhaust. I can't help but think I've made a terrible mistake. Anything I can fit my ENTIRE arm in might be too big...

A terribly awesome mistake maybe. Given that big rear end turbo you have, its probably about right.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXEde89WC44

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Soooo... Yeeeaaaaaaah. Regular Fentanyl LD50 is like 300µg/KG of body weight. Regular medicinal Fent and the time-release patches isn't what we should be waging a war against. What we are seeing is Carfentanil just randomly dropped into bags of dope, and we're gonna see an uptick in it over the next ten years, until all the people doing it are too poor to able to afford it.

That's when we'll see the American Krokodil.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

the spyder posted:

I've experienced first have what heavily ported 13B's with a garbage can lid turbo and straight 4" stainless piping without any muffler's sound like. You made the correct choice.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Comes in lollipop form, too. They used it because it was strong as gently caress, fast acting, and short-lived once you no longer had a delivery system stuck to a mucous membrane. Brutal, but when you've got to get a guy with 50%+ coverage 3rd degree burns to walk, or into a debridement shower...

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 18, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I mean I suppose it's about the best place to OD on an opiate considering they probably have a bunch of narcan ready to go.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

We had woolies in straya I think

Second biggest retail corporation in Australia. Woolworths limited has divisions of:

Supermarkets (Woolworths, Countdown (supermarket), Thomas Dux, Food For Less, Flemings)
Petrol (Caltex Woolworths)
Liquor (BWS, Dan Murphy's)
General Merchandise (Big W)
Home Improvement (Masters)
Hotels & Gambling (ALH Group)

They're only beaten by the Wesfarmers group, who will sell you just about ANYTHING:

Bunnings Warehouse, Coles Supermarkets, Bi-Lo, Pick 'n Pay Hypermarket, Coles Express, Coles Central, Liquorland, Vintage Cellars, 1st Choice Liquor Superstore, Officeworks, Officeworks BusinessDirect, Harris Technology, Kmart, Kmart Tyre & Auto Service, Target, Homebase, Curragh Queensland Mining, Bengalla Mining Company*, Koukia*, Blackwoods, Bakers, Total Fasteners, Bullivants, Wesfarmers Industrial & Safety NZ, CSBP, PB Workwear, Australian Gold Reagents*, Kleenheat, Unigas*, Coregas, Gresham Partners Group*, Wespine Industries*

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Online corporate training drains my soul

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Previa_fun posted:

Opioids were definitely overprescribed 10-15 years ago but instead of realizing they were duped by the drug companies doctors started cutting off dependent patients and dumping them onto using street drugs and surprise they're all dying now that cheap research chemicals from China are easy to purchase.

Good luck getting any pain relief beyond tylenol in 5-10 years btw.

Lol if u think the DEA and FDA will actually regulate this or try to solve this problem

Adiabatic posted:

I mean I suppose it's about the best place to OD on an opiate considering they probably have a bunch of narcan ready to go.

The local Facebook groups for reporting and discussing crime is full of people who honestly believe that narcan is bad and it's the cause of the opioid crisis :bang:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

Second biggest retail corporation in Australia. Woolworths limited has divisions of:

Supermarkets (Woolworths, Countdown (supermarket), Thomas Dux, Food For Less, Flemings)
Petrol (Caltex Woolworths)
Liquor (BWS, Dan Murphy's)
General Merchandise (Big W)
Home Improvement (Masters)
Hotels & Gambling (ALH Group)

They're only beaten by the Wesfarmers group, who will sell you just about ANYTHING:

Bunnings Warehouse, Coles Supermarkets, Bi-Lo, Pick 'n Pay Hypermarket, Coles Express, Coles Central, Liquorland, Vintage Cellars, 1st Choice Liquor Superstore, Officeworks, Officeworks BusinessDirect, Harris Technology, Kmart, Kmart Tyre & Auto Service, Target, Homebase, Curragh Queensland Mining, Bengalla Mining Company*, Koukia*, Blackwoods, Bakers, Total Fasteners, Bullivants, Wesfarmers Industrial & Safety NZ, CSBP, PB Workwear, Australian Gold Reagents*, Kleenheat, Unigas*, Coregas, Gresham Partners Group*, Wespine Industries*

And gently caress them all heavily. But there is no avoiding them. God I hate corporate America Australia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Liquid Communism posted:

It's pretty sadly well documented what happened.

The answer is an idiot Randian Libertarian taking over and turning the management structure into Thunderdome, after missing the boat on being Amazon circa now by not having the capital and foresight to invest in online business in the late 90's.

From what I understand, they actually had a site all-but-ready to go, when Mr. Randian canned the 95% done project. Because nobody will ever buy over the internet.

loving idiot businesspeople. Sears has fond memories for me as a kid. Also, with our outlet closing, I literally have nowhere to buy appliances locally.

• Locked thread