Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

deathbagel posted:

Stegadons are amazing. The ballista does great damage with a range of 350 and who cares if you opponent manages to get his cav around to charge it, it's mounted on a giant dinosaur! Stegadons are beasts in melee, while Bastiladons are merely very good in melee and the Solar Engine has about 1/2 the range on it's lazer cannon.

My favorite army is my 6 Stegadon, 2 Solar Engine, 6 Ancient Stegadon 5 heroes on Ancient Stegadon/Carnasaurs and Lord on Carnasaur. Just sit back and shoot them to hell while they close while skinks shoot magic to support, then charge your giant dinosaurs into melee then shoot them some more as they run away. That army could take on 3 full stacks at once no problem.

EDIT: Lord on Carnasaur, not Stegadon, can only have Mazda on one of those.

So I should completely replace all my Basitladons once I unlock Stegadons? Are all your Stegadons the ranged variant?

I got spanked by a DE army recently that was like 70% halberds. I had I think 2 Carnasaurs, 2 Stegadons and 2 Bastiladons with like 8 Saurus Warriors (and unfortunately a lvl 7 lord leading them). Even with a near full envelopment they tore my dinos apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The Solar Engine Bastiladon's ranged attack has splash damage and blinds enemies, making it better for ranged attackers and light/medium infantry blocks. The Stegadon's ballista shots penetrate and are also imbued with poison, so they're better for anti-large/heavy infantry blocks. Bring both, IMO.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What makes the Ogre Kingdoms interesting? I got then impression the're pretty dumb and will work for anyone who will pay them to eat the enemy.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Comstar posted:

What makes the Ogre Kingdoms interesting? I got then impression the're pretty dumb and will work for anyone who will pay them to eat the enemy.

They use cannons like rifles and cast magic by eating food. They kick rear end.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hot take: I like all the warhammer factions. They are also all dumb.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
chaos has decent aesthetic but overall they're incredibly shallow. they are the metal murder men from your nightmares, and everything about them, from abilities to motivation, is based on a handful of characters, who are all humorless dicks.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Tiler Kiwi posted:

chaos has decent aesthetic but overall they're incredibly shallow. they are the metal murder men from your nightmares, and everything about them, from abilities to motivation, is based on a handful of characters, who are all humorless dicks.

Sigvald is pretty fun. But yeah, they're the epitome of grimdark teenage "back-of-a-binder" drawings of death metal covers.

They can be good in the books though, as the Slaneesh stuff in the Sword of Vengeance duology was cool enough. Despite that, most every other race is dramatically more interesting.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Comstar posted:

:colbert:

Seriously, though, they've got a fairly fun bit of backstory. Way way back, Ogres used to roam around the steppes to the east in nomadic tribes, eating whatever animals they found there. Eventually they stumble into Cathai (Warhammer China) and realised that humans are really tasty. There was a bit of war going on and they generally made a nuisance of themselves until the emperor of Cathay decided he had enough of this poo poo and basically nuked them. He pulled a comet down from space right into the Ogre heartlands, instantly killing most of the Ogres alive at that point in time.

The survivors suddenly found themselves filled with a neverending hunger that they just can't sate no matter how much they eat. Some of them travelled to the impact site and found out why: Whatever had crashed into them hadn't just been a comet. The crater of the impact site was ringed with teeth and muscle, and it was seemingly infinitely deep. This is the Great Maw, and has become basically a god and a point of pilgrimage for most Ogres. As a result, their culture now ends up focused almost entirely upon eating. Ogres will hire themselves out as mercenaries in the hopes of getting to eat new and tasty meat. Disputes between Ogres are resolved by ritual combat, after which the winner gets to eat part of the loser (or all of the loser, if it was a fight to the death). Their priests are butchers and cooks, who sometimes consume parts of themselves to boost their magic.

Their thing that sets them apart in the current setting is that they're pretty much a truly neutral faction. They can and do work with pretty much everyone as long as there'll be snacks afterwards. Chaos, humans, elves, even vampires, Ogres will happily fight for (and eat) them. They may even go native, which is how you end up with Ogres who implant bright feathers into their head to look the part next to Imperial Greatswords, or who jam sharpened rocks into their face to look like vampire fangs. Mercenary'ing around the world seems like something that could potentially be turned into a unique campaign mechanic for them somehow.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
I think we can safely assume Chaos Dwarfs, Ogres, and probably Chaos Demons for the third game. I'm hoping beyond hope that beyond that we get fleshed out Ind, Cathay, and Nippon.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This man speaks the truth

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Didn't we get this exact argument about how boring and terrible the dork elves are before W2?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

One of the tabletop units is the Maneater - mercenaries who've wandered the world and learned 'interesting' things on the way.

Another interesting factoid: Ogres are the final, perfected creation of the Old Ones. More fecund than elves, more adaptable than Dwarves, more chaos-resistant than Humans, more... everything... than Halflings, they combined the best of all the previous creations and would be the weapon they needed to defeat Chaos. Unfortunately the apocalypse happened before the Old Ones could teach them culture and they remain disorganised brutes to this day.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 18, 2017

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

The Lone Badger posted:

One of the tabletop units is the Maneater - mercenaries who've wandered the world and learned 'interesting' things on the way.

You missed the best one

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Fangz posted:

Didn't we get this exact argument about how boring and terrible the dork elves are before W2?

i think the worst i ever said was that they're the trenchcoat mafia of elves. and that they're a bunch of prats. and i stand by these claims.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Ogres were actually the pinnacle of the Old Ones' plan. They wanted to create an adaptable, hardy, fast breeding race with the ability to use magic and resistance to chaos corruption.

They were making the last tweaks to the Ogres; making them less ravenous, smarter and more cohabitable, when the stellar gates blew up and we ended up with this mess. Halflings were actually the prototype.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
this is the old one's ideal race. you make not like it, but this is what peak plan looks like

Gitro
May 29, 2013
So dinosaurs can kill infinity basic skaven huh

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Gitro posted:

It's what they were designed for. But the the rats had to go and invent cannons that fire warpstone and things got a lot worse for the old dinodudes.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Rookersh posted:

perhaps they will try to justify the $60 price tag by spending their time adding in naval combat, better sieges, and settlement fights, only for people that play on the mortaler empires map. please buy wh3.

I was thinking about this. The way I see it, Total Warhammer 2 is the fourth game based on the Rome 2 model, it's getting on a bit now. If the next historical TW mixes up the fundamentals again and comes out out before Warhammer 3, maybe those changes will carry through, not just to WH3 but also its Grand Campaign. That might be worth buying even if the main races are a bit meh.

Probably far too much work to make WH3 more than an massive expansion and still compatible with the old games though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gitro posted:

It may seem that way at first. But once you have thrown 10000 slaves at a stack of lizards and worn them down they will probably sue for peace. It is then that you ambush and kill them as they limp home.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
3 PM BST they will show off mortal empires

https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

also they made this

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Plavski posted:

It's what they were designed for. But the the rats had to go and invent cannons that fire warpstone and things got a lot worse for the old dinodudes.

It was incredibly cathartic to have my first field use of warp cannons be against a lizard army with 3 dinos. Didn't even make it halfway to my lines before getting sniped down :science:

JBP posted:

It may seem that way at first. But once you have thrown 10000 slaves at a stack of lizards and worn them down they will probably sue for peace. It is then that you ambush and kill them as they limp home.

Nah, the Great Plan involved frog hitler owning provinces infested by perfidious ratlings. They have been purged. It's nice to be on the side that doesn't rely on their opponents reaching their pre-set kill limit to win.

I had the most skaven fight the other day. Got an ambush against a New Colony force besieging a Viper settlement. There was a really nice killing alley flanked by some trees, so without meaning to all my army bar the warlock + battery was hidden. The poor fucks marched almost the length of my cannon's range, and when they finally closed in a horde of rats burst from the forest and ground and swarmed them to death.

I love my weird gross ratmen

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

My biggest concern with Mortal Empires is that AI turn times might become unbearable. WH2 is already kind of bad. With a five year old i5 processor, it sometimes feels like I spend more time looking at enemy faction icons cycling over the top of the screen than I spend playing. With twice three times more factions and a map twice the size, I can easily see it going from annoying to unbearable.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Have they said if Mortal Empires will support co op?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gitro posted:

Teclis has some neat skills and I wish he was attached to an interesting race or start position. Everyone else has a nice flow to their opening but with Teclis it's two turns to go from the first enemy settlement to the second, and then you go in the opposite direction to anything habitable.

If you follow his quests it's a pretty straightforward [take islands province]->[kill lizards faction]->[war crown battle]->[kill delves faction]->[swap him with lord you sailed all the way to Ulthuan during this time]->[20 turns of encamped global recruitment]->[sword battle]->[elven infighting to infinity]

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Junkenstein posted:

I was thinking about this. The way I see it, Total Warhammer 2 is the fourth game based on the Rome 2 model, it's getting on a bit now. If the next historical TW mixes up the fundamentals again and comes out out before Warhammer 3, maybe those changes will carry through, not just to WH3 but also its Grand Campaign. That might be worth buying even if the main races are a bit meh.

Probably far too much work to make WH3 more than an massive expansion and still compatible with the old games though.

The next historical TW game will (finally) be made on a new engine and I believe it's supposed to come out before TW3. So if the third Warhammer game includes said engine upgrade, that could definitely be used as a selling point by their marketing team.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Mordja posted:

The next historical TW game will (finally) be made on a new engine and I believe it's supposed to come out before TW3. So if the third Warhammer game includes said engine upgrade, that could definitely be used as a selling point by their marketing team.

They're not using a new engine for WH3, it'd mean reworking all their assets.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Did they add any more units to Beastmen after their original release? I remember a lot of hate about their small roster, but they are an interesting race to me. I tend to lean towards the less humanoid races - Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Orcs, etc.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Arsonide posted:

Did they add any more units to Beastmen after their original release? I remember a lot of hate about their small roster, but they are an interesting race to me. I tend to lean towards the less humanoid races - Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Orcs, etc.

They had harpies added.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

So I should completely replace all my Basitladons once I unlock Stegadons? Are all your Stegadons the ranged variant?

I got spanked by a DE army recently that was like 70% halberds. I had I think 2 Carnasaurs, 2 Stegadons and 2 Bastiladons with like 8 Saurus Warriors (and unfortunately a lvl 7 lord leading them). Even with a near full envelopment they tore my dinos apart.

Blackguard kill Saurus really well. They have very high armor and have huge AP damage, which basically makes the Saurus seem unarmored themselves. They also have about 50% more melee atk and melee defense than Saurus. They also do decent against the dinosaurs, but the key is, if you have all the ranged dinos you can shoot them up pretty good while they are closing. Plus the giant health pools of the big dinosaurs take a while for even anti-large AP Blackguard to get through. Also, Ancient Stegadons will still shoot while fighting in melee which adds quite a bit of damage to their already high melee damage.

I usually do keep a couple Solar Engines in my army because they are really good for their cost, and they also make great tanks for towers during assaults (or just versus enemy ranged in field battles) with their 140 armor. Move them in front of the Stegadons to eat the tower shots so the Dinosaurs that are better in the actual assault can still be 100% healthy during the initial confrontation.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
OK what the gently caress is a Mlexigaur?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I confederated Queek as Skrolk and he is making a ridiculous amount of xp. He started at level 13 and is now 38, Skrolk is still only 29. I think that could be whats making his loyalty to drop so hard? It reduces by 1 or 2 every turn.

I'm having a ton of fun with skaven though, 168 turns in now and its not turned into a slog at all, usually I get bored by turn 50.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Queek siphons a portion of the xp that your other lords earn, IIRC

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Having your vassals be a higher level than the faction leaader drops loyalty, yeah.

Once loyalty gets low enough, you should get some events that let you raise it back up a bit, at least.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Yeah think I exhausted all of those, he just defected with a really powerful army, level 40 :lol:

Bit poo poo that there's nothing you can do to get their loyalty up after a while.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Geisladisk posted:

My biggest concern with Mortal Empires is that AI turn times might become unbearable. WH2 is already kind of bad. With a five year old i5 processor, it sometimes feels like I spend more time looking at enemy faction icons cycling over the top of the screen than I spend playing. With twice three times more factions and a map twice the size, I can easily see it going from annoying to unbearable.

yeah i literally wince when they say "OVER A HUNDRED FACTIONS!"

attila is unplayable to this day

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

And when even developers are saying 'yup, turn times are gonna be looong, no way around it', you know it's not good.

But that's been obvious since the first mention of a combined campaign. If it's on a par with Rome 2 at launch, I'll be fine with it.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

yeah i literally wince when they say "OVER A HUNDRED FACTIONS!"

attila is unplayable to this day

It's such a shame too because without considering its performance issues, Attila is one of my favorite TW games.

At the very least, you can cut certain factions out of the end turn sequence in TWW2. I wasn't particularly interested in what Parthava was doing while playing as Caledonia.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Junkenstein posted:

And when even developers are saying 'yup, turn times are gonna be looong, no way around it', you know it's not good.

But that's been obvious since the first mention of a combined campaign. If it's on a par with Rome 2 at launch, I'll be fine with it.

I prefer them being bluntly honest about it. There's no way around it AFAIK, unless you assume all of your customers are going to be running it on enterprise grade CPUs or some poo poo