Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Star Man posted:

God I wish there was an MTGGoldfish or Channel Fireball equivalent for Pokémon. poo poo, even an MTGSalvation equivalent would be awesome.
I don't know what those are, but have you looked at OmniPoke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Yes it sucks that most of the Pokemon sites require a subscription...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There just needs to be some kind of centralized source for information.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Lorak posted:

I don't know what those are, but have you looked at OmniPoke?

They're websites for Magic that provide decklists and information for free.

No, I don't want to watch videos. I want to just read a list.

edit: oh god the MTGGoldfish boys are expanding into Pokémon. This is exactly the kind of thing I needed: decklists and TCGPlayer average prices on cards to get an idea of what I'm spending.

http://www.pokegoldfish.com/

Star Man fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 29, 2017

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

So I went to just get a couple things and it turns out Tesco was having a clearance and I came out with a bunch of Pokemon cards. Going to try and make a a Kingdra EX - Magnezone deck and see what I can do with that.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Holy poo poo. The place I play at decided to settle with Expanded as the tournament format because there's a lot of old sealed product still available and it's just easier to deal with the bigger card pool to keep from scaring any kids off (now if only we had a Modern scene for Magic). I was looking at deck lists and saw that Computer Search sells for a poo poo load of money and that a Base Set 1 or 2 edition is not legal for play.

What a bunch of loving horse poo poo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Star Man posted:

Holy poo poo. The place I play at decided to settle with Expanded as the tournament format because there's a lot of old sealed product still available and it's just easier to deal with the bigger card pool to keep from scaring any kids off (now if only we had a Modern scene for Magic). I was looking at deck lists and saw that Computer Search sells for a poo poo load of money and that a Base Set 1 or 2 edition is not legal for play.

What a bunch of loving horse poo poo.
Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PMush Perfect posted:

Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.

I'm used to outrageous card prices thanks to Magic and DBZ. They're dumb, but I get it. But now allowing old editions of Computer Search just because they added ACE SPEC to it is a whole 'nother level of dumb.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Star Man posted:

I'm used to outrageous card prices thanks to Magic and DBZ. They're dumb, but I get it. But now allowing old editions of Computer Search just because they added ACE SPEC to it is a whole 'nother level of dumb.

You mean because the rules changed and old editions of Computer Search aren't properly categorised as an Item Card?

Not trying to be flippant. Just trying to understand the terminology.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Captain Fargle posted:

You mean because the rules changed and old editions of Computer Search aren't properly categorised as an Item Card?

Not trying to be flippant. Just trying to understand the terminology.

Look, here are the original and Boundaries Crossed editions of Computer Search:

The ability of the card is the same. The BCR printing adds the reminder text that you have to have at least two cards in hand and has been updated to be an ACE SPEC Trainer card. It adds the rules text that there can only be a single card that's got the ACE SPEC type in your deck. The game's official rules don't allow for old editions of cards to be used if they get reprinted if the reprint has enough extra text on it to make it different. The card functions exactly the same, but now it just has a deck restriction, which somehow makes it different enough that cards printed in Base Set or Base Set 2 can't be played in Expanded. It's just lovely when a card like Potion has had its rules text changed to heal 30 damage instead of 20, but editions printed before Black and White are allowed to be played still and heal 30 damage instead of the 20 damage that's printed on them. That's a significant change, even though all that changed about the card's rules was a single digit.

In Magic, at least, even cards with obsolete card types like "Interrupt" were all changed through rules errata to be the card type "Instant" because the batch was eliminated when the the stack was introduced in Sixth Edition in 1999. A card called Opt that just got reprinted in the latest set, Ixalan, now has the ability to scry. The original edition was given rules errata to scry because the card's ability was the same thing as a card ability created a few years later, so it was changed. The new edition just reflects that change. I'm sure if Professor Oak were ever reprinted, it would gain the subtype Supporter.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If you want to get yourself even madder at the quirks of this game's tourney scene.

One of these was legal for play in America and one of these is a lot cooler looking than the other but wasn't legal:

I'm sure you can guess which is which.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I'm just surprised any cards at all from the original sets are legal. I thought Expanded only went back to Black and White? That's how it works in PTCGO.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Stuff like DCE and Switch are because they are identical to currently legal cards.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Are there any sites left for making and posting decklists? I'm theorycrafting something and I wanna lay it out and look at it properly, like I would with TappedOut or whatever.

Edit Wait, I'm an idiot, I can just uncheck "show only cards I own".

Edit2 I had an idea to use Alolan Ninetails because of some worries about Tapu Lele. Also, because it's pretty. And then I threw in Garchomp because I love it. Tell me how this sucks:

##Pokémon - 10

* 3 Garchomp-EX PR-XY XY167
* 3 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 2 Alolan Ninetales BUS 28
* 2 Alolan Ninetales-GX GRI 22

##Trainer Cards - 36

* 3 Acerola
* 3 Big Malasada
* 3 Guzma
* 3 Lana
* 2 Pokémon Fan Club
* 4 Professor Sycamore
* 3 Energy Retrieval
* 4 Professor's Letter
* 3 Mallow
* 3 Skyla
* 3 Hard Charm
* 2 Delinquent

##Energy - 14

* 5 Fighting Energy
* 2 Rainbow Energy
* 2 Double Colorless Energy
* 5 Water Energy

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 1, 2017

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Are there any sites left for making and posting decklists? I'm theorycrafting something and I wanna lay it out and look at it properly, like I would with TappedOut or whatever.

Edit Wait, I'm an idiot, I can just uncheck "show only cards I own".

Edit2 I had an idea to use Alolan Ninetails because of some worries about Tapu Lele. Also, because it's pretty. And then I threw in Garchomp because I love it. Tell me how this sucks:

##Pokémon - 10

* 3 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

##Trainer Cards - 36

* 3 Acerola
* 3 Big Malasada
* 3 Guzma
* 3 Lana
* 2 Pokémon Fan Club
* 4 Professor Sycamore
* 3 Energy Retrieval
* 4 Professor's Letter
* 3 Mallow
* 3 Skyla
* 3 Hard Charm
* 2 Delinquent

##Energy - 14

* 5 Fighting Energy
* 2 Rainbow Energy
* 5 Water Energy

Get rid of an Acerola, a Lana, a Big Malasada, 2 Hard Charms an Energy Retrieval and a Delinquent. Replace with a combo of Vs. Seekers, Choice Band/Muscle Band/Fighting Fury Belt, Pokemon Center Lady, Special Charge, Wally and N.

EDIT: Also given this deck Brigette will probably serve you way better than Pokemon Fan Club.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 1, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

Get rid of an Acerola, a Lana, a Big Malasada, 2 Hard Charms an Energy Retrieval and a Delinquent. Replace with a combo of Vs. Seekers, Choice Band/Muscle Band/Fighting Fury Belt, Pokemon Center Lady, Special Charge, Wally and N.

EDIT: Also given this deck Brigette will probably serve you way better than Pokemon Fan Club.
Care to explain the suggestions? (Definitely doing VS Seeker, though, forgot that was still legal.)

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Care to explain the suggestions? (Definitely doing VS Seeker, though, forgot that was still legal.)

If you're going for standard, vs seeker isn't legal anymore.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

Brigette would be worse, because he's using basic EX, not GX.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Elblanco posted:

If you're going for standard, vs seeker isn't legal anymore.
Okay, that's what I thought!

Edit Did some changing because why not.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 10

* 3 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

##Trainer Cards - 36

* 4 Professor's Letter
* 2 Wally
* 2 Acerola
* 2 Lana
* 4 Professor Sycamore
* 1 Bent Spoon
* 2 Pokémon Fan Club
* 4 Random Receiver
* 1 Pokémon Center Lady
* 1 Special Charge
* 3 Skyla
* 3 Guzma
* 1 Big Malasada
* 1 Choice Band
* 2 Muscle Band
* 1 Assault Vest
* 2 Energy Retrieval

##Energy - 14

* 5 Water Energy
* 2 Rainbow Energy
* 5 Fighting Energy

The plan is either to open up right away with Garchomp (30-damage 1 energy with some beef, plus Hyper Beam as a bit of a late-game thing), and/or have Vulpix Beacon up whichever Ninetails suits the deck I'm facing. The deck is kind of lacking in Serious Damage (aside from the hilarious Ice Path GX), hence the emphasis on Muscle Band/Choice Band.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 1, 2017

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Wait. Is Garchomp EX Standard legal? I thought it was a promo for first set XY?

All my suggested revisions were assuming you're playing Expanded because of that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

Wait. Is Garchomp EX Standard legal? I thought it was a promo for first set XY?

All my suggested revisions were assuming you're playing Expanded because of that.
It's Black Star XY167, and from 69(?) and up are legal for the 2018 season, IIRC.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Ok, I read through this thread, I'm planning on buying some pokemon cards to play with my son who turns 6 soon, and I just want someone to yell at me if I'm doing something dumb/wrong. Said son likes Pokemon and plays tons of video games, so this seems like a solid choice for non-screen entertainment/way of tricking him into learning words and math. This'll probably just be me and him playing together (and maybe wife).

So what I'm thinking is buying us two of the Sun & Moon trainer kits as a base and starting him on that, and then later if he's still interested adding boosters/expansions like this elite trainer kit or these theme decks. I'll probably also play the online game before unveiling the physical cards to him so that I know how the rules work. Is this a sound strategy?

edit: oh I should probably add, we're American but living in Germany, and I'm going to NYC right after his birthday which is when I plan to buy the cards (since they'll be cheaper in the states and, y'know, in English), so I have to buy everything for the foreseeable future in one shot.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 6, 2017

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

When should we expect TCGO to get updated with Shining Legends now that the set has been released in English?

Cicero posted:

Ok, I read through this thread, I'm planning on buying some pokemon cards to play with my son who turns 6 soon, and I just want someone to yell at me if I'm doing something dumb/wrong. Said son likes Pokemon and plays tons of video games, so this seems like a solid choice for non-screen entertainment/way of tricking him into learning words and math. This'll probably just be me and him playing together (and maybe wife).

So what I'm thinking is buying us two of the Sun & Moon trainer kits as a base and starting him on that, and then later if he's still interested adding boosters/expansions like this elite trainer kit or these theme decks. I'll probably also play the online game before unveiling the physical cards to him so that I know how the rules work. Is this a sound strategy?

edit: oh I should probably add, we're American but living in Germany, and I'm going to NYC right after his birthday which is when I plan to buy the cards (since they'll be cheaper in the states and, y'know, in English), so I have to buy everything for the foreseeable future in one shot.

This seems like a sensible enough plan to me.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Cicero posted:

Sounds good. There's a thread on the Pokegym forums (which have official rulings on card interactions) called I Double Theme Decks, which gives a way to take cards from two copies of a deck to make it more consistency. Sporadic update schedule on it, though. Hidden Moon's pretty good, in my opinion, if you can throw a Lunala GX or two in a double version.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Competitive viability is a complete waste of money if one of the players is literally 6 years old. Maybe in a few years if he wants to go play with people in a store, but for right now, the double decks is mostly about slimming down to just the Pokemon he likes.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Competitive viability is a complete waste of money if one of the players is literally 6 years old. Maybe in a few years if he wants to go play with people in a store, but for right now, the double decks is mostly about slimming down to just the Pokemon he likes.
I would jokingly argue the side that if you're going to go in, that you go in with the best equipment and win with proper strategies, but apparently someone in all seriousness already made an article about that.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
When still learning, treat it like a deck is a fixed thing. Modifying it can come down the line.

If you want to play with power you can pick up the world championship decks. Otherwise they're not going to be playing very competitively anyways.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I can understand wanting to increase consistency because that's where some of the fun of the game comes from.

But also he's 6 so IDK maybe just pick the one with his favourite Pokemens and eventually get a GX of that Pokeman for their deck.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Moriatti posted:

I can understand wanting to increase consistency because that's where some of the fun of the game comes from.

But also he's 6 so IDK maybe just pick the one with his favourite Pokemens and eventually get a GX of that Pokeman for their deck.

This. I've been teaching my nephew to play. I misunderstood that he already knew how to play so I picked up a set of the aforementioned tournament decks.

He enjoys the Greninja deck but can't get his head around how the other decks play. Or even really the Greninja deck tbh. He enjoys playing the precons a lot more, since their lines of play are more direct.

No matter how often you explain the little synergies of the tournament decks. Or even have him read the carda.

My nephew isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PJOmega posted:

My nephew isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
Starter decks is probably fine, then.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

You know what I loving love about the TCG?

Crabominable is actually good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've been toying with the deck more, dropped the lovely Garchomp, and this is the version I'm actually running on PTCGO, so far.

##Pokémon - 9

* 1 Tauros-GX
* 2 Alolan Vulpix BUS-27
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI-21
* 2 Alolan Ninetales
* 1 Alolan Ninetales-GX
* 1 Lapras
* 1 Manaphy-EX

##Trainer Cards - 40

* 1 Aqua Patch
* 2 Max Elixir
* 1 Brooklet Hill
* 1 Evosoda
* 1 Weakness Policy
* 4 Professor's Letter
* 2 Rescue Stretcher
* 3 Wally
* 1 Lana
* 2 Wishful Baton
* 4 Professor Sycamore
* 2 Nest Ball
* 2 Skyla
* 1 Field Blower
* 1 Guzma
* 2 Fighting Fury Belt
* 2 Misty's Determination
* 2 Judge
* 1 Town Map
* 1 Big Malasada
* 2 Professor Kukui
* 2 Energy Retrieval

##Energy - 11

* 4 Double Colorless Energy
* 7 Water Energy

Still lacking some things (I'd kill for a Lapras-GX and more GRI Vulpix), but decent for the most part. Another Guzma would be nice, too. Wishful Baton is great on Ninetails to keep momentum after she drops, Fighting Fury Belt is mostly for Tauros and Manaphy, Tauros especially loves the extra HP.

I miss Dive Balls. :saddowns:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 15, 2017

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

I've been toying with the deck more, dropped the lovely Garchomp, and this is the version I'm actually running on PTCGO, so far.

##Pokémon - 9

* 1 Tauros-GX
* 2 Alolan Vulpix BUS-27
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI-21
* 2 Alolan Ninetales
* 1 Alolan Ninetales-GX
* 1 Lapras
* 1 Manaphy-EX

##Trainer Cards - 40

* 1 Aqua Patch
* 2 Max Elixir
* 1 Brooklet Hill
* 1 Evosoda
* 1 Weakness Policy
* 4 Professor's Letter
* 2 Rescue Stretcher
* 3 Wally
* 1 Lana
* 2 Wishful Baton
* 4 Professor Sycamore
* 2 Nest Ball
* 2 Skyla
* 1 Field Blower
* 1 Guzma
* 2 Fighting Fury Belt
* 2 Judge
* 1 Town Map
* 1 Big Malasada
* 2 Professor Kukui
* 2 Energy Retrieval

##Energy - 11

* 7 Water Energy

Still lacking some things (I'd kill for a Lapras-GX and more GRI Vulpix), but decent for the most part. Another Guzma would be nice, too. Wishful Baton is great on Ninetails to keep momentum after she drops, Fighting Fury Belt is mostly for Tauros and Manaphy, Tauros especially loves the extra HP.

I've faced off against a lot of decks extremely similar to this. It's solid.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

##Pokémon - 9

* 1 Tauros-GX
* 2 Alolan Vulpix BUS-27
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI-21
* 2 Alolan Ninetales
* 1 Alolan Ninetales-GX
* 1 Lapras
* 1 Manaphy-EX

##Trainer Cards - 40

* 1 Aqua Patch
* 2 Max Elixir
* 1 Brooklet Hill
* 1 Evosoda
* 1 Weakness Policy
* 4 Professor's Letter
* 2 Rescue Stretcher
* 3 Wally
* 1 Lana
* 2 Wishful Baton
* 4 Professor Sycamore
* 2 Nest Ball
* 2 Skyla
* 1 Field Blower
* 1 Guzma
* 2 Fighting Fury Belt
* 2 Judge
* 1 Town Map
* 1 Big Malasada
* 2 Professor Kukui
* 2 Energy Retrieval

##Energy - 11

* 7 Water Energy

Yo, thanks for posting this list. I just recently got into this game and this list is doing work, it's a lot of fun making the jump from theme decks to actual standard decks.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

I've faced off against a lot of decks extremely similar to this. It's solid.

Ramos posted:

Yo, thanks for posting this list. I just recently got into this game and this list is doing work, it's a lot of fun making the jump from theme decks to actual standard decks.
:swoon:

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Rock Guard is a loving bullshit card.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

Rock Guard is a loving bullshit card.
Tool Removal is useful now, but it used to be almost mandatory once upon a time, didn't it? I feel like poo poo like Rock Guard is probably why.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mewtwo kept healing itself since Damage Change swaps damage counters but due to Ninetales being immune to effects, the counters were never placed on it and Mewtwo went back down to zero damage. And they never swapped out Mewtwo.

Eventually my opponent decked out. It was a hell of a match. :geno:

Ramos fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 19, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

How's Lugia working for you? I considered it, but it didn't seem worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

How's Lugia working for you? I considered it, but it didn't seem worth it.

It's occasionally okay but there's way more GX pokemon running around than EX ones. I just don't have anything better in that slot right and when it gets to do its job, it does it decently enough. Out of my collection, I've also been thinking about sliding in Pidgeot EX, Oranguru, or even Hawlucha just for the utility.

Haven't lost a game yet though since versus on my current level is just EX and GX clownfests that Ninetales runs right over.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 19, 2017

• Locked thread