Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So there's a scenario called Debt of Honor in the community pack.

I don't remember poo poo about the book since I read it 15 years ago in middle school. The scenario has the John Stennis battle group heading towards the Mariana Islands where about 120 F-15s are going to zerg rush you. It's kind of a stupid scenario tbh.

I pretty much just launched every plane I had. I traded pretty well but getting everyone back on deck without any tankers is dicey.

My question is, what do you with your planes in the middle of the ocean like this? Do I seriously just fly them at the enemy to intercept or is there a smarter, more strategic way to do this? I can't terrain mask obviously but would flying low help at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
The Scenarios of Shifting Sands – Part 3: Mansoura, Fifth Eskadra, Osirak and Bekaa

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

skooma512 posted:

So there's a scenario called Debt of Honor in the community pack.

I don't remember poo poo about the book since I read it 15 years ago in middle school. The scenario has the John Stennis battle group heading towards the Mariana Islands where about 120 F-15s are going to zerg rush you. It's kind of a stupid scenario tbh.

I pretty much just launched every plane I had. I traded pretty well but getting everyone back on deck without any tankers is dicey.

My question is, what do you with your planes in the middle of the ocean like this? Do I seriously just fly them at the enemy to intercept or is there a smarter, more strategic way to do this? I can't terrain mask obviously but would flying low help at all?

Depends on the scenario design and radar coverage but you could have a small portion of your flight bait with live radars while the larger flight comes in at a better angle. If everyone has full radar coverage then it becomes trickier. You could try dropping the altitude to get beneath the horizon, but if the planes are all radar hot they'll see you and you'll have to gain altitude quick. I'd try to get them out of their radar coverage but in mine and try to sneak up on the flanks.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Yooper posted:

Depends on the scenario design and radar coverage but you could have a small portion of your flight bait with live radars while the larger flight comes in at a better angle. If everyone has full radar coverage then it becomes trickier. You could try dropping the altitude to get beneath the horizon, but if the planes are all radar hot they'll see you and you'll have to gain altitude quick. I'd try to get them out of their radar coverage but in mine and try to sneak up on the flanks.

In this scenario there is an AWACS behind their wall of F15 spam. I have Prowlers to jam but I don’t know if those will work, I’ll check in the editor.

Might just try to bait the F15s into approaching my fleet and using the sam coverage to thin them out and taking advantage of their lower fuel load. They’re J variant so they might have A/G missiles on them, it wouldn’t make sense to launch dozens of them at the fleet if not.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I went ahead and bought the full version of Black Sea and, oh poo poo is symmetrical modern warfare hilarious in a murdeous everyone dies sort of way.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Guess what released today!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Guess what released today!

What?

I can't remember the name of this but I know I was interested.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Bomber Crew is a good game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What systems is it out on? Just Steam so far?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Someone on Steam is already complaining about the "lack of historical accuracy with the 'racial diversity'"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I almost lost my bomber on the first mission

Game is proper grog

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

pthighs posted:

Someone on Steam is already complaining about the "lack of historical accuracy with the 'racial diversity'"

I insist that it is not a point to be made lightly.

Have your unisex pan-racial bomber crew, but then don't obviously set your game in world war two. You could make the whole same identical game with a sci-fi art set. It is a disservice to the era and creates a complicated portrayal of the time period. Would you think nothing of a game that lets you have a lesbian black jew copilot of your Junkers? Because that had as much chance of happening in the luftwaffe as in the usaf. It's lazy whitewashing. I won't advocate a boycott of the game or anything that drastic, the game mechanics and the basic gameplay loop look to be solid (i haven't played it), but it's not an irrelevant point.

Otoh the guy on steam may be fine with portrayal of black people as long as he gets to terror bomb them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
There were women and black pilots in the USAF during world war 2.

Who loving cares?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Like, gently caress sake's, I can't believe my engineer uses the escape hatch to climb onto the wing of the plane to douse one of the engines that are on fire with a portable fire extinguisher at 4000 meters in a thunderstorm without any protective gear while flying at 350km/h.

God drat scum developers! :argh:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah they focussed on making a fun game, not something that looks at the full implications of the actions of Bomber Command. I would appreciate a historically accurate mode though, where you only got crew members named Biggins with big bushy beards.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

When I think nitty gritty warts and all portrayals of WWII bombing, I think cutesy graphics and a game about a lone bomber being heroic.

Seriously though, if you want the option for historical accuracy, just turn away perfectly good candidates.

Also, it's a British bomber, not even a US one.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xthetenth posted:

When I think nitty gritty warts and all portrayals of WWII bombing, I think cutesy graphics and a game about a lone bomber being heroic.

Seriously though, if you want the option for historical accuracy, just turn away perfectly good candidates.

Also, it's a British bomber, not even a US one.

Bomber Crew is a good game.

What it mostly does though is make me wish for a modern B-17 Flying Fortress or Mighty Eighth remake. Preferably with systems modeling from the A2A B-17.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

xthetenth posted:

the game whose trailer on the steam page where the bomber is painted teal with eggplants on the wings is super serious.

how is it though? a modernized version of 50 mission crush is my poo poo.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Agean90 posted:

the game whose trailer on the steam page where the bomber is painted teal with eggplants on the wings is super serious.

how is it though? a modernized version of 50 mission crush is my poo poo.

It is a good game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It is a good game.

Tough, hard, requires a lot of micromanagement, doesnt take itself too seriously.

Fun.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Tough, hard, requires a lot of micromanagement, doesnt take itself too seriously.

Fun.

Welp. I'm sold. The cutesy bit bugged me, but I'm cool with suspending belief.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I was sold until you said "fun."

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

it's fun and also pretty brutal. after 15 or so missions with a levelled up crew and a bunch of upgrades on my lanc I got shot down and everyone KIA apart from my pilot who managed to somehow survive. new lanc and new crew were all terrible and I've lost three since and I'm struggling quite a bit now. rest in piss friday the thirteenth. you were the best bomber.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I wish the gunners would automatically tag fighters when they get close. it's pretty annoying when you're trying to do a dozen things at once and you forgot to tag a fighter or two so they're sitting there on your rear end shooting you up and your tail gunner is just sat there with a thumb up their rear end waving at the luftwaffe pilot.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

cool new Metroid game posted:

it's fun and also pretty brutal. after 15 or so missions with a levelled up crew and a bunch of upgrades on my lanc I got shot down and everyone KIA apart from my pilot who managed to somehow survive. new lanc and new crew were all terrible and I've lost three since and I'm struggling quite a bit now. rest in piss friday the thirteenth. you were the best bomber.

Awww come on, don't stick with the default name!

Last Rites
Wingin' It
Old Painless
Hun Hunter

And so many more to think of!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I wish the gunners would automatically tag fighters when they get close. it's pretty annoying when you're trying to do a dozen things at once and you forgot to tag a fighter or two so they're sitting there on your rear end shooting you up and your tail gunner is just sat there with a thumb up their rear end waving at the luftwaffe pilot.

That's my only gripe. It'd be cool if they auto-tagged either when the enemy plane was really close, or a slower auto-tag if the gunner+radio guy were manning their positions, but manual tagging by the player was faster.

Trying to do bombing runs can be really tough since you can't change heading but you also can't tag new fighters and then your being shot up by flak and oh my god the engines on fire and the fighters just killed the pilot fuuuuuuuuuuck

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Awww come on, don't stick with the default name!

Last Rites
Wingin' It
Old Painless
Hun Hunter

And so many more to think of!

I'm bad at naming things :(

when your radio guy gets to level 5 or 6 there's an auto tag skill but it has a cooldown. it's pretty handy when you have a million bastards diving in on you.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I'm bad at naming things :(

when your radio guy gets to level 5 or 6 there's an auto tag skill but it has a cooldown. it's pretty handy when you have a million bastards diving in on you.

Mine never lived that long :(

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Bomber Crew is great, I'm really enjoying it so far. I've only lost 1 crew member, my initial pilot. I didn't realize he had been hit until the plane was about to crash into the ground and I quickly jumped someone else into his seat narrowly avoiding losing everyone.

I do agree it's a little annoying that your guys won't (slowly) auto-tag fighters cause when you're coming in for a bombing run it can get super hectic. It's a very satisfying feeling when you limp back to base with only 2 engines a couple minutes of fuel left and your plane looks like swiss cheese.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I think I've lost about 7 bombers now. luckily after a while the recruits start at higher levels but you still have to kit them out and whilst your new plane does have some upgrades it never has the rear turret with ammo feed :argh: I;ve been trying to grind out 'easy' missions before the next critical mission but even on 'easy' runs I'm getting jumped by a dozen or so planes. war is hell.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I accidentally hurled one of my engineers off my wing when he was fixing up an engine. I was getting shot to poo poo so did a corkscrew to try and shake some of them off and the dude went flying :byewhore:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

It's the spiritual successor to Cannon Fodder nobody knew needed to be set in a bomber.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I accidentally hurled one of my engineers off my wing when he was fixing up an engine. I was getting shot to poo poo so did a corkscrew to try and shake some of them off and the dude went flying :byewhore:

:laffo: I need to try this now.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Are people using the auto-feeders? I'm not that far so I haven't unlocked a lot of turrets yet but I usually go for the high damage turret instead of the lower damage auto-feeder. I just use my engineer to run ammo around during fights.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

This game owns. :thumbsup:

My main gripe is that the game could use more mouseover tooltips, especially for stuff that isn't covered in the info area in the menus. Like, what is the third piece of equipment that isn't the first aid kid or the extinguisher?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Bold Robot posted:

This game owns. :thumbsup:

My main gripe is that the game could use more mouseover tooltips, especially for stuff that isn't covered in the info area in the menus. Like, what is the third piece of equipment that isn't the first aid kid or the extinguisher?

parachute

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

owns

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

but mah historikal accuraceeeee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hav posted:

but mah historikal accuraceeeee!

You'd be eating your words right now (if I had photoshop on my pc)

:argh: