Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Getsuya posted:

Switching gears back to Digimon, do I need to worry about getting 200% sync or whatever? Or will just creating stuff I have at 100% be fine? I don’t want to grind for it if the benefit is negligible.

Edit: and what are all these medals for?

The main thing to remember is that if a Digimon plateaus in level for your area, devolve it. Their ABI score is improved by digivolving or devolving, and the higher level they are when either happens the more ABI they get. ABI determines max level and max stats, and also is a prerequisite for all endgame forms, so you might as well get it as you go.

There are some rare items that raise ABI directly but it's a pain in the rear end to actually grind for deliberately.

Also, always do the toughest training on the island. It's super easy to make them like you again so there's no reason not to.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

corn in the bible posted:

The main thing to remember is that if a Digimon plateaus in level for your area, devolve it. Their ABI score is improved by digivolving or devolving, and the higher level they are when either happens the more ABI they get. ABI determines max level and max stats, and also is a prerequisite for all endgame forms, so you might as well get it as you go.

There are some rare items that raise ABI directly but it's a pain in the rear end to actually grind for deliberately.

Also, always do the toughest training on the island. It's super easy to make them like you again so there's no reason not to.

Also don't get too worried about having your Digimon reset to level 1 every digivolution/de-dedigivolution. IIRC, their stats are still pretty decent so you aren't stuck having them eat poo poo from a single attack every fight.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Dennis McClaren posted:

I'm looking for a good MMORPG to try out. I would prefer it to have a good PvP system. The only caveat is it needs to be able to run on an i5 laptop, so just a good laptop, nothing special. So low graphics demands.

Any suggestions?

Guild Wars 1 runs on toasters and has a robust PvP system.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Atelier Firis (PS4) Used $19.99 from Gamefly. Includes box and any special content codes.

https://www.gamefly.com/#!/game/Atelier-Firis-The-Alchemist-and-the-Mysterious-Journey/5011776

E: Gamestop is $35 used and most other places are still full price.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 17, 2017

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
What difficulty were people playing in Cyber Sleuth? I remember normal was making me fall asleep so I switched to hard and suddenly absolutely everything was kicking my rear end.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

What difficulty were people playing in Cyber Sleuth? I remember normal was making me fall asleep so I switched to hard and suddenly absolutely everything was kicking my rear end.

Normal, because Hard will indeed utterly wreck you.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The people behind Gothic have released Elex now. The reviews are actually pretty good but the bad reviews definitely make me remember the irritating as hell time I had with the third and second Gothic games.
Has anyone had a bash with it yet?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Taear posted:

The people behind Gothic have released Elex now. The reviews are actually pretty good but the bad reviews definitely make me remember the irritating as hell time I had with the third and second Gothic games.
Has anyone had a bash with it yet?
They're also the guys behind, more recently, Risen 1-3.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
what puts me off is reports that the combat, well, loving sucks. and if the game is 50% combat, why the hell would i want play it even if the quests are amazingly freeform and the worldbuilding very well made & interesting?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno people seem to like Witcher 3

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Sakurazuka posted:

And Horizon.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

haven't tried it but having played the first one i'll probably pass part 3 entirely. it works better the other way around, like for example jagged alliance 2 is still very playable even with the laughably b-movie like plot and non existant side quests.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What puts me off Elex's combat is that your dude dodge-rolls like an old man or someone in Havel's armour with low Endurance, and that the camera seems to jump-cut every few seconds in battle.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I'm a good chunk of the way through Suikoden 3 and I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about the changes to the combat system. I'm guessing they were put in place to counter against overpowered setups from the first 2 but they feel overly limiting (my main gripe is that combos with an odd number of members will force at least one character to do nothing).

Still enjoying it though. Characters are mostly likeable and though I was disappointed to find out the composer from the first 2 games didn't work on any of the later ones there are still some nice tracks. This one has wormed it's way into my head https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDk-qeOJgnw

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The grasslands theme from Suikoden 3 might be my favorite in all vidja. I enjoyed the rashomon style retelling of the same events from different perspectives. I really liked Hugo and Chris' character arcs, and felt like Geddoe kind of sucked the air out of his sequences. I feel like Hugo's is meant to be the "canonical" version of the story.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Suikoden 3 had the best 108 Stars bonus, but goddamn crossing that Mountain Pass or whatever the gently caress was tedious as poo poo, over and over again.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

GrandpaPants posted:

Suikoden 3 had the best 108 Stars bonus, but goddamn crossing that Mountain Pass or whatever the gently caress was tedious as poo poo, over and over again.

I liked running around my base as a doggy.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

GrandpaPants posted:

This is the main reason I can't wait to get Viki. I remember someone saying a while ago that it took way too long to get her and I can understand why now, movement just feels so turgid.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dyna Soar posted:

haven't tried it but having played the first one i'll probably pass part 3 entirely. it works better the other way around, like for example jagged alliance 2 is still very playable even with the laughably b-movie like plot and non existant side quests.
Witcher 1's combat bares very little resemblance to Witcher 3's. Entirely different system.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

That SO4 PS4/PC port is coming to US and Europe November 28th.

http://gematsu.com/2017/10/star-ocean-last-hope-4k-full-hd-remaster-launches-november-28-americas-europe

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:woop:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Time to put my PC in sleep mode to prepare

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When are they porting Infinite Undiscovery???

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Zereth posted:

Witcher 1's combat bares very little resemblance to Witcher 3's. Entirely different system.

yeah, but don't they share the same problem? e.g. the combat is boring

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

yeah, but don't they share the same problem? e.g. the combat is boring

The combat in TW3 is magnitudes better than the combat in 1

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TW1's combat manages to be much worse and plays like a janky rhythm game before they went with a psuedo-Arkham style for the sequels.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Andrast posted:

The combat in TW3 is magnitudes better than the combat in 1

Its still incredibly bad though.

The first game is just unplayable.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Zore posted:

The first game is just unplayable.

"Click mouse button at the right time" gameplay isn't exactly the most compelling in the world, but calling the game "unplayable" is a hilarious exaggeration.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Kanfy posted:

"Click mouse button at the right time" gameplay isn't exactly the most compelling in the world, but calling the game "unplayable" is a hilarious exaggeration.

My only memory of W1 is being constantly hassled by continually respawning monsters too far below my level to be interesting but annoying enough that I couldn't just run past them.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The list of WRPGs with actually good combat is incredibly short, so I think most of the audience just takes that as a matter of course.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

The list of WRPGs with actually good combat is incredibly short, so I think most of the audience just takes that as a matter of course.

1. Original Sin 2
2. ???

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Jagged alliance 2
Baldur's gate 2 and icewind dale 2

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Scrub games can get back to me when combat is a chain of holding down the Ctrl button and pressing left and right in rhythm.

Gothic 1 4 lyfe

Edit: Incredible amount of bugs aside, Temple of Elemental Evil did a really good job of bringing D&D's combat ruleset to the PC, I thought. Lots of combat maneuvers to perform beyond the usual "Attack this guy" and "Cast this spell" that Infinity Engine games provided.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Witcher 3 combat was fine, like being "bad" is overstated for whatever reason.

The mass effect series had good combat.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

The mass effect series had good combat.

Definitely not the first one. I'll give you 2 and 3.

I also think that real-time-with-pause combat was always bad.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 18, 2017

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Andrast posted:

Definitely not first one. I'll give you 2 and 3.

Mass Effect 3 is like the second or third best 3PS ever made. Also yes RTWP is garbage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Andrast posted:

Definitely not first one. I'll give you 2 and 3.

I just wish they'd kept the Special Weapon slot in ME3. I loved the Black Hole Projector :sigh:.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
TW3 let me cut people's bits off. I forgive a lot for that opportunity.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dyna Soar posted:

Baldur's gate 2

Eugh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I've never played Witcher 3 and a large part of the reason was how terrible W2's gameplay was. The only other experience I have with that kind of combat is Shadow of Mordor, where I also hated the combat but at least I had fun stealthing, shooting and just mind-controlling orcs to fight each-other/lead them into traps.

My hot gameplay takes: RTWP combat, is good. Turn-based combat is only good if it's on a map like in SRPGs or has some kind of gimmick to it that makes it not 'real' turn-based (think FFX-2), otherwise, it's bad. Souls combat, is good. And Elder Scrolls combat is almost as bad as Witcher/SoM combat, but at least you can make yourself insanely overpowered and destroy everything quickly so you don't have to experience it.