Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Besesoth posted:

Dumb Marketing Moves: We just talk about spam now

every PYF thread is the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

evobatman posted:

I seem to remember that in Korea, Spam is a high-end luxury food.

A can of Spam is like 4 bucks over there. So it's not like it's caviar but it's more than a can of tuna.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

A can of Spam is like 4 bucks over there. So it's not like it's caviar but it's more than a can of tuna.

What the gently caress place charges $4 for a can of tuna they're like 50 cents in america

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I said Spam is $4 in Korea

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I misread you and thought you said "like a can of tuna" which seemed pretty crazy even for Korea

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Aesop Poprock posted:

What the gently caress place charges $4 for a can of tuna they're like 50 cents in america

Nice canned tuna - whole tuna in oil - can be close to $4.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

Also real Spam is actually relatively high quality and uses decent meat. A lot of its bad reputation comes from cheap clones during and around WW2 that used stuff like pig cheeks to pad it out.

But pig cheeks are delicious and good. If you go to a pig roast and the cheeks aren't the first thing you go for you're doing it wrong. It's this great combination of lean and moist. If you give it a fancy name like 'guanciale' people will pay top dollar for it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aesop Poprock posted:

You are eating cat food, maybe.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I haven't eaten it in years but I love Spam. Probably like many others, it's only because my grandmother gave it to me as a kid. I absolutely understand that it's loving gross.

To stay on topic, the marketing push in the mid 2000s had some good commercials, though. The guy's over the top angry scream makes me laugh every time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhmCVzrDmBU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
My wife makes a killer spam fried rice that's a quick cheap way to fill your belly on those slum days where you feel creative enough to make something unembarrassing and don't have enough papa John's points to get the free pizza yet. It's probably a once every couple of months type thing but I love it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Aesop Poprock posted:

CommonShore posted:

Nice canned tuna - whole tuna in oil - can be close to $4.

The Bloop posted:

You are eating cat food, maybe.

Learning that there is a difference between “Chunk Light Tuna” (.50¢ a can, and almost literally cat food,) and “Solid White Tuna” (~1-4 dollars a can, actually fit for human consumption,) has turned several of my formerly non-tuna-eating friends around.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/10/16/halloween-retailer-pulls-anne-frank-costume-amid-complaints/

Anne Frank costume was a bad idea, who could have foreseen this?!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That's an evacuee costume. Debate amongst yourselves as to whether that's any better.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Besesoth posted:

Dumb Marketing Moves: We just talk about spam now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSjj2kj2LXo
Spam in the place where I post (ham and pork).

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.

Maybe I'm just Monday morning quarterbacking but they'd have been just fine if they'd gone with a "sexy Anne Frank" costume.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Eh. Ann Frank is a historical figure and someone a lot of people admire and young ladies can relate to.

She died under terrible circumstances. A lot of historical figures died horribly. I don’t see any protests over Amelia Earhart costumes and we’re pretty sure she was either eaten or starved to death.

Not a great costume. I probably wouldn’t want to go to a Halloween party with someone in an Anne Frank costume. But it’s not horrible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, Amelia Earhart wasn't a victim of one of the biggest genocides in human history.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Costume's fine unless you're wearing/modifying it with the intent of being an rear end in a top hat.

edit: also

quote:

He explained that the company sells costumes for activities other than Halloween, like “school projects and plays.”

Grey Fox has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Oct 16, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

But pig cheeks are delicious and good. If you go to a pig roast and the cheeks aren't the first thing you go for you're doing it wrong. It's this great combination of lean and moist. If you give it a fancy name like 'guanciale' people will pay top dollar for it.

Knowing me, you probably shouldn't be surprised that my only exposure to pig cheeks has been a French Army ration.

It tasted like such an extreme level of pork that I could smell it in my mouth, if that makes any sense. Like it was fuming pork.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

MrYenko posted:

Learning that there is a difference between “Chunk Light Tuna” (.50¢ a can, and almost literally cat food,) and “Solid White Tuna” (~1-4 dollars a can, actually fit for human consumption,) has turned several of my formerly non-tuna-eating friends around.

I've tried the solid white tuna a few times and I just hate it and always go back to chunk light. I guess I just like the cat food better.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Albacore is better than both; way less 'fishy', plus albacore is line-caught, they don't use nets.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/cta/status/920397822104653829

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Looks like there's a Sox fan at CTA

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Mu Zeta posted:

Dont forget every Chuseok (the harvest festival for Korea) one of the most common gifts is a box set of cans of tuna and spam

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Idgi

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

L

What else is signified by an L in baseball

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
"Lose"?

I'm Canadian and a goon, so I only know surface-level stuff about Hockey and Canadian Football.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

umalt posted:

"Lose"?

I'm Canadian and a goon, so I only know surface-level stuff about Hockey and Canadian Football.

Yes, typically you 'go for the W(in)' and 'avoid the L(oss).'

Particularly relevant for the cubs.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

umalt posted:

"Lose"?

Yeah, that’s it.

Sorry, also the public rail in Chicago is called the “L”(evated track), which is what the CTA Stuff is about

Someone didn’t really think this one through.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Okay that makes a lot more sense! Thanks you guys!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Going for the W and avoiding the Ls? I thought that’s just what straight men do when trying to get laid.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

When the dollar menu fucker wants dessert https://twitter.com/fox6now/status/920258112912752640

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Croccers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSjj2kj2LXo
Spam in the place where I post (ham and pork).

Weird Al is a treasure.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Today's photoshop contest on Cracked is filled with entries that fit this thread perfectly.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/pez_sez/status/920556235790979072

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Choco1980 posted:

Today's photoshop contest on Cracked is filled with entries that fit this thread perfectly.

That Cinnabon backlash was loving stupid. People just want to get care mad over something.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Choco1980 posted:

Maybe I'm being insensitive but I legit don't understand how this is about slavery instead of just farming.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty_acres_and_a_mule

Forty acres and a mule refers to a promise made in the United States for agrarian reform for former enslaved black farmers by Union General William Tecumseh Sherman on January 16, 1865. It followed a series of conversations between Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton and Radical Republican abolitionists Charles Sumner and Thaddeus Stevens[1] following disruptions to the institution of slavery provoked by the American Civil War. Many freedmen believed and were told by various political figures that they had a right to own the land they had long worked as slaves, and were eager to control their own property

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Those looms will never make a straight thread again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
:ughh:

https://twitter.com/rocza/status/920708665233039361