Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Squalid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqoUdd9Ge4E

I love these WWII training films so much

all the creative talent of Hollywood applied towards instructing every Joe Blow G.I. in every martial art imaginable from ditch digging to boiler maintenance. The budget on these films must have been absurd

One of these was posted in the aviation thread a long time ago. It was on how to assemble a shipped P-47 in the field - the funniest part of which was they didn't have torque wrenches, so they had these rule of thumb notes for how to get the torque correct on the bolts that held on the wings

e: Speaking of top talent

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rockopolis posted:

Is the main advantage of the sword over the lance that it's easier to use if you get mixed up close with the enemy? Easier to use your off hand?

Great, now I'm wondering if modern materials science can make barding good enough to bring back the cuirassier.
off the top of my head, it's difficult to learn how to lance, it's easy to drop them, they break, you need replacements, every fighter needs a bunch of people to take care of the replacements (and get you into and out of your armor)

i agree with you completely about bringing back cuirassiers, especially since we have multi-shot pistols now

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
There's also the weight. Light cav trade the lance for greater speed, dragoons swap it for rifles or carbines or other gear.

As for bringing back the cuirassier, why mess around with real horses instead of building a robot horse?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GAIL posted:

Shorter's better on horseback

Cavalry swords are normally longer than infantry ones though, they were also heavier, since protracted engagements were relatively rare. You could certainly fence with them though, and some officers contracted for swords that were closer to cavalry ones than anything else, but in general the infantry officer's ones were more optimized for actual hand to hand fighting.

When you go further back to knights/armored cavalry, they all carried really short maces or axes for fighting each other, since if you got your horses next to one another, you wanted something short to be able to hit the other guy if he was grabbing your reins or whatever.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Comrade Gorbash posted:

There's also the weight. Light cav trade the lance for greater speed, dragoons swap it for rifles or carbines or other gear.

As for bringing back the cuirassier, why mess around with real horses instead of building a robot horse?
I do not think a lance changes the speed of a horse. Light and heavy cavalry are distinctions based on role and equipment more than actual speed once you are not discussing armored troops.

edit: There were even light cavalry regiments that were also lancers.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 18, 2017

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Well, non-jousting heavy cavalry armor is what, 50lbs? Same again for barding? That's like 3 full sets of Interceptor body armor, each, for the horse to carry around. And an MP7.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
It's page 666, tell me about some weird military superstitions, past and present

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Curaissiers must be in use in Syria

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I do not think a lance changes the speed of a horse. Light and heavy cavalry are distinctions based on role and equipment more than actual speed once you are not discussing armored troops.
Sorry, it might have been better to say range or endurance. I was thinking of speed on more of the corps level, in terms of how much ground a light cav unit can cover in a day, as opposed to how fast they can move in immediate combat.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

canyoneer posted:

It's page 666, tell me about some weird military superstitions, past and present

lucky charms, the candy/cereal thing, was considered bad luck, and U.S. marines would ban them from vehicles they rode in during Afghanistan and Iraq, believing they would get hit if they didn't. Reports even say some marines flung them at the enemy to get the bad luck on them.

Having three soldiers light their cigarettes on the same match was bad luck, allegedly this originates back from the Crimean war.

Von Richthofen wouldn't fly without his lucky scarf and jacket, also he painted his planes red for them to go fasta intimidate the enemy. Soon his squadron followed suit, so he wouldn't be singled out.

Probably many more, but that's off the top of my head

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Rockopolis posted:

Well, non-jousting heavy cavalry armor is what, 50lbs? Same again for barding? That's like 3 full sets of Interceptor body armor, each, for the horse to carry around. And an MP7.

Not quite as bad as that. TFR just had a body armor discussion and the 25-pound range seemed about average for modern body armor, a plate carrier, and the gear to hold it all on. A gun and ammo is going to be in the 10 pound ballpark. Modern armor is certainly lighter, but not to the extent that you're implying.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tias posted:

lucky charms, the candy/cereal thing, was considered bad luck, and U.S. marines would ban them from vehicles they rode in during Afghanistan and Iraq, believing they would get hit if they didn't. Reports even say some marines flung them at the enemy to get the bad luck on them.

Having three soldiers light their cigarettes on the same match was bad luck, allegedly this originates back from the Crimean war.

Von Richthofen wouldn't fly without his lucky scarf and jacket, also he painted his planes red for them to go fasta intimidate the enemy. Soon his squadron followed suit, so he wouldn't be singled out.

One of my grandfathers never, EVER missed one of his regular poker games later in life. This went back to his time in the service when swapping shifts to get to a poker game prevented him from being at ground zero of a kamakazie strike (the corpse of the buddy he swapped with was never recovered). I don't know if this is superstition or an iron clad excuse to get out of the house and play poker, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tias posted:

I always heard the match thing explained as "having a match lit that long gives away your position/makes you a target for sniper fire" but if it goes back to Crimea, that sounds less likely.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

I always heard the match thing explained as "having a match lit that long gives away your position/makes you a target for sniper fire" but if it goes back to Crimea, that sounds less likely.
i heard russians invented it because there's a three-candled...thing...the priest carries on easter and if you light three cigarettes with the same match it's like usurping the role of the church, which is sacrilege. if that's the case though, i don't know how it spread to non-russians

ed: I guess it could have been any Orthodox, if you think about it

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 18, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WoodrowSkillson posted:

probably a different kind of lance though, right? 30yw lancers used the big stout medieval kind.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

Curaissiers must be in use in Syria
at the very least there is probably at least one dude/tte out there on a horse with a pistol and a bulletproof vest. and since it's the middle east, i bet the horse is really cool looking and rad

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rockopolis posted:

by the 30yw the horses are not armored
also armor is lighter than most people think

edit: also many cavalrymen have strings of horses, so the same horse is not hauling your poo poo around and going into battle with you

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Sailors have many similar superstitions, like how it brings bad luck to light a cigarette from a candle or lantern (quite sensible attitude on a wooden ship, actually) so it could also come from there.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tias posted:

The marine thing is a candy called Charms (which basically aren't around anymore iirc) not the cereal Lucky Charms

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

probably a different kind of lance though, right? 30yw lancers used the big stout medieval kind.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This was mostly the Germans right around the turn of the century, I think? The Germans had issued a lance with a rolled steel tube for a haft that was only about 4lbs (I've seen a couple different numbers but they're all under that; it might have been closer to 3lbs). Everything I've read indicated most them got rid of the lance as soon as they could once the actual fighting kicked off, and it doesn't look like they carried sabers, based on the photographs I have and can find.

Scratch that, some did and some didn't. Found some photos with German cavalry with lance and saber and it's listed as part of the kit. But there's also photos where they definitely don't have the scabbard on their saddle where it's supposed to be.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 18, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

The marine thing is a candy called Charms (which basically aren't around anymore iirc) not the cereal Lucky Charms

You can still find them at specialty candy stores. They're just fruity hard candies.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
We can get them, or some exactly like them in Europe. Don't think they're called Charms, though.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Ah, I was going by Wikipedia estimates for both sets of armor. Not quiet as much of a difference.

HEY GAIL posted:

by the 30yw the horses are not armored
also armor is lighter than most people think

edit: also many cavalrymen have strings of horses, so the same horse is not hauling your poo poo around and going into battle with you
Yeah, but if it's today you probably do have to armor the horse, maybe with a Kevlar blanket thing against shrapnel.

Speaking of new old things, how comparable is poo poo like Blackwater and modern PMCs to stuff like the Landscknect? Are there any period companies still around, or getting back in the business?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

zoux posted:

They absolutely had snipers in Crimea. One of the Russian admirals in Sevastopol got killed by one during the siege.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Comrade Gorbash posted:

This was mostly the Germans right around the turn of the century, I think? The Germans had issued a lance with a rolled steel tube for a haft that was only about 4lbs (I've seen a couple different numbers but they're all under that; it might have been closer to 3lbs). Everything I've read indicated most them got rid of the lance as soon as they could once the actual fighting kicked off, and it doesn't look like they carried sabers, based on the photographs I have and can find.

Scratch that, some did and some didn't. Found some photos with German cavalry with lance and saber and it's listed as part of the kit. But there's also photos where they definitely don't have the scabbard on their saddle where it's supposed to be.

A lance weighed about 6lbs in the Napoleonic period. I do not believe that changed anything in terms of the range or endurance of the horse or rider. The entire distinction between light and heavy cavalry starts falling apart in the 18th and 19th centuries. Even most heavy cavalry stopping using curiasses besides a few groups, Napoleon obviously as the major proponent of them.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MikeCrotch posted:

Is just an off-brand Jolly Rancher?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Found over the web

quote:

American-born Edwin Parsons had a colourful military career, both in the US military and in the French Foreign Legion. He was known to have wired a stuffed black cat to the struts of his fighter aircraft as a talisman. He refused to fly without it. He even claimed after one fight that the cat took a bullet for him.

His plane was destroyed in a bombing raid and it took the lucky stuffed cat down with it. Some would wonder, at this point, whether or not the cat was actually lucky, but Parsons refused to fly until he could go back to Paris and find another one. Other aircrews often painted black cats on their planes for good luck.

quote:

During World War II, says Wallrich, the stress on pilots frequently produced superstitious behavior. The most common was the carrying of amulets and talismans like silver dollars, particularly (and counter-intuitively) when the numbers in the year added up to 13 (such as 1921), to correspond with that coin’s 13 stars and its eagle’s 13 tail feathers. Every unit had at least one bad-luck airplane—a “clinker,” in Wallrich’s words, whose temperamental behavior masked a darker jinx—and a charmed airplane that padded the odds for any pilot lucky enough to fly it.

Many airplanes flew with the name “Boomerang,” a reassuring omen for the crews because a boomerang always returns to where its flight began. The crew of the B-29 Boomerang, which flew 10 missions before its final one on August 15, 1945—the last bombing raid over Tokyo—carried a real boomerang on board, and all made it home safely.

In Vietnam, when Air Force pilot Dan Cherry flew combat missions in the F-105 and the F-4, he always wore a red bandana around his neck. “Definitely a good-luck charm,” he says today. “My mustache also served that purpose. The mustache was started the day before my first combat mission and not shaved off until putting feet down in the good ole USA after completing the tour. I wouldn’t dream of shaving it off…no matter how ugly it looked.”

Superstition has even found its way into NASA, which has always selected its pilots from the military services. Space shuttle astronaut Robert “Hoot” Gibson, an ex-Navy fighter pilot, recalls that on launch day, the schedule gives the crew about 15 minutes between suiting up and heading to the pad. During that period, the astronauts would stand around a high table in the suit-up area, joined by the Chief of the Astronaut Office and the Director of Flight Operations. A deck of cards would appear, and they would play a homegrown game called Possum Fargo. Five-card hands were dealt. No betting, no further cards. Just a rapid deal. Whoever had the lowest hand won the round.

“It’s like poker, 180 degrees out,” says Gibson. “The lowest you could get was 2,3,4,5,7 [a 6 gave you a straight]. That was the winningest hand.” The crew could not leave until the commander of the mission won a hand—for good luck. “You were not ready to walk out of there until he won,” says Gibson. He doesn’t know who created the game or who named it. But he played it on every one of his five missions.

Four-time shuttle astronaut Tom Jones has a slightly different recollection of Possum Fargo. “We watched the commander play the card game in the suit-up room against the chief of the Flight Crew Operations Directorate,” says Jones. “Rest of the crew does not play, and I don’t know the game. My opinion is that the kind of people I crewed with did not get there by being superstitious, so it’s a trait bred out of the astronaut corps for the most part.” But he admits that the commander had to get that low hand before launch. “Once you lose, you can go out to the pad,” says Jones. Or win, he means, with that lousy hand.

quote:

Stuffed animals, however, were not adopted only by Allied pilots. At least one German ace with 30 victories (Ltn. Ulrich Neckl) posed on his Fokker D.VII with a teddy bear that reputedly he carried into combat. It would be difficult to imagine a less Teutonic and less warlike mascot, but the ace was still around on Armistice Day.

In the midst of war it seems that true love, and its reasonable facsimiles, accounted for many of the items aviators took aloft to protect themselves from occupational hazards. One French pilot refused to wear a regular flying helmet, preferring a girlfriend’s silk stocking for headwear (Jean Navarre, the enfant terrible of the Verdun Front.) Scarves, rings, hankies, and even baby shoes were at one time considered bulletproof. Even riding crops were carried by ex-cavalrymen, but apparently nothing was as widely sought after as a girlfriend’s garter. According to popular legend, mystical powers were attributed to garters removed from the leg of a virgin during the dark of the moon. In the best Joseph Heller style, however, there was a catch. If the girl didn’t remain true, the garter lost its protective powers and the pilot was in danger until he found a more trustworthy female.

The last good-luck habit I discovered was sticking a wad of chewing gum on the fuselage before clinging in. As with the other superstitions, this one seems to have no basis in recorded history, but was widely adopted during World War II. The plot is not difficult to imagine: The pilot is in a hurry to take off, forgets to put the gum by the cabin door (“Use Your Checklist”), and fails to return.

Regarding Gibraltar

quote:

Most of the Rock's upper area is covered by a nature reserve which is home to around 230 Barbary macaques, the famous "apes" of Gibraltar, which are actually monkeys. These are the only wild apes or monkeys found in Europe.[58] This species, known scientifically as Macaca sylvanus, is listed as endangered by the IUCN Red List and is declining. Three-quarters of the world population live in the Middle Atlas mountains of Morocco. Recent genetic studies and historical documents point to their presence on the Rock before its capture by the British, having possibly been introduced during the Islamic period. A superstition analogous to that of the ravens at the Tower of London states that if the apes ever leave, so will the British. In 1944, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, was so concerned about the dwindling population of apes that he sent a message to the Colonial Secretary requesting that something be done about the situation

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 18, 2017

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Comrade Gorbash posted:

They issued an ultimatum on 29 August with a deadline of 30 August, with the clear indication that if their demands weren't met it would be war.

That's a surprise attack.

A rule of thumb is anything less than 2 weeks notice means that events are moving faster than you can mobilize in response.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Just bought a book on Allied aircrew superstitions during World War 2, and I'll check library to see if I have anything that references others.

Also, surprisingly, I don't think I have anything that talks at length about the various Japanese commanders.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Comrade Gorbash posted:

left handed dude?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

left handed dude?
It really just doesn't seem to be there - the way they rigged it up, you can see the bottom portion hanging down on the other side of the horse, and the scabbard has a fairly distinct silhouette. I thought it might just be a late war vs early war thing, since most of the cavalrymen with a lance but no saber had gasmasks and/or stalhelms (definitely of WW1 vintage). But then there's one with a pickelhaube, lance, and no apparent saber.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Comrade Gorbash posted:

But then there's one with a pickelhaube, lance, and no apparent saber.
lost it, ditched it, sold it, used it to open a paint can and bent the blade

the list goes on

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

lost it, ditched it, sold it, used it to open a paint can and bent the blade

the list goes on
Could be. I'll throw some of the photos in here later, for interest if nothing else. The Bavarians seem to have retained saber and lance, even after 1916, at least. Whole unit of them in stalhelms and definitely carrying lance and saber.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Mycroft Holmes posted:

What sort of sword would be good in a trench? Let's say I'm an officer leading a raiding party into enemy lines. Is my sword useful in the confined space of a trench?

There's a good list of swords here:
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Romeo_%2B_Juliet

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Some of the more superstitious or relgious soldiers in the Napoleonic era would discard any sort of playing cards they had on their person on march or camping before a big battle now.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Squalid posted:

all the creative talent of Hollywood applied towards instructing every Joe Blow G.I. in every martial art imaginable from ditch digging to boiler maintenance. The budget on these films must have been absurd

They were generally pretty small. How they get made varies a little bit by the branch of service but the First Motion Picture Unit isn't a bad example. It started out life as a private Hollywood venture. A group of directors, actors, crew and studio execs saw that war was coming and started preparing to create film units. So when the USAAF reached out, there was a bare bones structure kind of in place. Jack Warner was given a commission of Lt. Colonel and forms up the rest of the unit. They basically take over an abandoned studio in good repair and start cranking out films. Regan served in this unit, as did Clark Gable after flying some combat missions. This unit also trained most of the combat cameramen for the various branches.

General Marshall put together a unit under Frank Capra. They produced Why We Fight along with a lot of other training films for the Army. That unit gave us the animation style you think of when you think of the kinds of training films like you linked. And Why We Fight is an interesting documentary. It's propaganda but it makes it's points by taking apart Axis propaganda.

The Navy ends up a little weird. Throughout most of the war it didn't have an in house unit for most of it's training films but generally put them out for bid. Later they have a small animation department run out of Disney. Most of their film stuff was placed under the command of John Ford and acted as documentary filmmakers.

So the prices for most of WWII military films weren't particularly high. Most of the people producing them may have had big names in Hollywood but either were under military pay structures or were loaned out to military projects for a pittance in the case of Mel Blanc.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

There’s a Netflix documentary about the American propaganda movies made during WWII, Five Came Back.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Squalid posted:

This is gonna make me much better at shooting things in War Thunder with my bomber turrets :v:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

canyoneer posted:

This isn't on the enlisted man level, but I'm a fan of the sacred chickens of Rome. It was a form of augury; before the battle, the priests would scatter seeds around and, depending on how the chickens ate, it could predict the outcome of the battle. There's a story from the First Punic War that Appius Claudius Pulcher wanted to launch an attack on the Carthaginian fleet in a harbor and, as was customary, did the chicken augury. The priest told him that the chickens were nowhere to be foundrefused to eat, which was the worst possible omen, and he said "Since they don't want to eat, let them drink!" and drowned all of them. The battle was a total fiasco(although it's worth noting that ancient authors were very fond of moralizing so there's a good chance that the entire story was made up out of whole cloth)

E: Flipped some words

Elyv fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Drowned the priests or the chickens?