Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Is there a better way to learn all the magic slang that has accumulated over the years than just looking at https://mtg.gamepedia.com/ ? Missing out on large chunks of the game post Scourge(or Onslaught?) has made phrases like Eldrazi Tron or Grixis Energy very abstract and alien things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Maarak posted:

Is there a better way to learn all the magic slang that has accumulated over the years than just looking at https://mtg.gamepedia.com/ ? Missing out on large chunks of the game post Scourge(or Onslaught?) has made phrases like Eldrazi Tron or Grixis Energy very abstract and alien things.

like most things with a ton of lingo i find that immersing yourself in it is the best way. even reading definitions on some wiki doesn't lend the context.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I know we already did this but Rosewatta Stone is still going.

St. Style Bitches.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Maarak posted:

Eldrazi: giant alien monstrosities from the aptly named set Rise of the Eldrazi
Tron: Short for Urzatron, a slang term for the three Urza lands (Mine, Power Plant and Tower); anything called Tron is a deck that tries to get those lands out and then plays very expensive spells afterwards.

Grixis: Blue Black Red; comes from Shards of Alara, in which several sets of three colors got official names. The others are Bant (green white blue), Esper (white blue black) Jund (black red green) and Naya (red green white)
Energy: a mechanic from Kaladesh, which came out about two years ago. Energy is a second resource that's generated by cards and spent by other cards.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Eldrazi: giant alien monstrosities from the aptly named set Rise of the Eldrazi
Tron: Short for Urzatron, a slang term for the three Urza lands (Mine, Power Plant and Tower); anything called Tron is a deck that tries to get those lands out and then plays very expensive spells afterwards.

Grixis: Blue Black Red; comes from Shards of Alara, in which several sets of three colors got official names. The others are Bant (green white blue), Esper (white blue black) Jund (black red green) and Naya (red green white)
Energy: a mechanic from Kaladesh, which came out about two years ago. Energy is a second resource that's generated by cards and spent by other cards.

One year for kaladesh

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This really didn't have to cost 3.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I know we already did this but Rosewatta Stone is still going.

St. Style Bitches.

Oh lord I forgot all about that account. Why wasn't I following it? :allears:

Out of its recent posts, St. Style Bitches probably wins the title category, with runners-up Gideon Tried and Of Course Hazoret.

But. I'm absolutely losing my poo poo at this overall card:

It just keeps improving the further down the card you go.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lol nice:

Having to carry photos of rural wildlife to trigger abilities would be great for a silver-border set.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Lol nice:

Having to carry photos of rural wildlife to trigger abilities would be great for a silver-border set.

I like how it spells beetle differently twice

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Photos of rural life.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Magic: The Gathering: Photos of Rural Life

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

LordAbaddon posted:

I like how it spells beetle differently twice

The flavour text is actually about John Lennon.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Guys I accidentally shot the cards :smith:

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

This got me thinking about which cards actually have a consensus on them being safe or unsafe to unban, and which ones have a lot of uncertainly or disagreement. So I put together a quick poll to try to get some actual data - it asks about the entire ban list, but you can answer for as many or as few cards as you like. If enough people respond to get meaningful numbers out of I'll do a write-up somewhere down the line.

After 18 responses, here are all the cards where the majority of respondents voted "could go either way" or safer:

Bloodbraid Elf
Green Sun's Zenith
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Ponder
Preordain
Second Sunrise
Stoneforge Mystic
Summer Bloom

This seems like it would be a pretty reasonable set of cards to allow in a test Thunderdome if someone wanted to run one.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

second sunrise is never getting unbanned since it wasn't broken(merely good) in the first place and was basically banned because it made matches take too long

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

After 18 responses, here are all the cards where the majority of respondents voted "could go either way" or safer:

Green Sun's Zenith
Second Sunrise
Summer Bloom

loving lol at unbanning these.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I'm still super new so this is gonna be a stupid question, but isn't it almost impossible to unban anything in modern since the format doesn't change in large ways from set to set? Most of the cards in my limited understanding like warped the format before their banning. So if they were unbanned tomorrow they'd go right back to the top of the heap. I was thinking specifically of the Eye of Ugin Eldrazi decks that got the name Eldrazi winter for their time period. Am I just underestimating how much Modern actually changes, or am I right in thinking that decks using say Splinter Twin or Eye of Ugin would still be just as broken?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

ChaosReaper posted:

I'm still super new so this is gonna be a stupid question, but isn't it almost impossible to unban anything in modern since the format doesn't change in large ways from set to set? Most of the cards in my limited understanding like warped the format before their banning. So if they were unbanned tomorrow they'd go right back to the top of the heap. I was thinking specifically of the Eye of Ugin Eldrazi decks that got the name Eldrazi winter for their time period. Am I just underestimating how much Modern actually changes, or am I right in thinking that decks using say Splinter Twin or Eye of Ugin would still be just as broken?

It's worth remembering that some of the cards discussed (Jace the Mind Sculptor; Stoneforge Mystic) have never actually had their shot in a real Modern environment. Both were on the initial Modern banlist when the format was introduced right on the tails of their Standard banning back in 2010, with the fear that those cards would be format warping even there (probably a correct call to be somewhat careful back there).

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

You're underestimating how much Modern actually changes. Every eternal format - even Legacy and Vintage - powers up incrementally with each new set. A card that's truly broken, like Skullclamp, is unlikely to ever be unbanned, but cards that were merely kind of above par can easily have the format catch up to them over several years (and this is ignoring that some of the bans were debatable in the first place).

For the cards you mentioned, Eye of Ugin is not getting unbanned; it was only banned like 2 years ago and Eldrazi Tron is a tier 1 deck even without it. I could definitely see a world where like 5 years from now they decide to unban it though. Splinter Twin is an interesting case because it's not even clear it should have been banned on power level in the first place, but I don't think that's at the top of their unban list either. Personally, I think the most likely card for them to unban is Bloodbraid Elf. The card was banned almost 5 years ago in a format that looked completely different where Jund was the clearly dominant deck. Now? Those classic BGx midrange Liliana Tarmogoyf decks don't see a ton of top level play anymore. There's no other clear home for the card, and it costs 4. Format staples like Collected Company, Thought-Knot Seer, Monastery Swiftspear, and Tasigur hadn't been printed yet. Is it really still too good? You can construct similar arguments for some other cards.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Mezzanon posted:

I'd be happy with a GSZ unban and a Dryad Arbor ban. GSZ is much worse than Traverse the Ulvenwald since it has a higher deckbuilding cost and is less powerful, assuming it's not also a mana creature when fetching Arbor. Banning Dryad Arbor is also cool and good because it makes Bogles worse and because the FTV version of Dryad Arbor is totally bullshit.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Madmarker posted:

Seriously, it was a fun deck to play, but created an absolutely miserable environment for everyone else. I'm glad it is dead.

As someone who never played when it was around, what was so so bad about it?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
If you don't have the answer to the splinter twin combo on turn 4+, you lose the game. Twin also ran izzet colors, so it had tons of interaction and the best card selection in the format.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

At any point on your turn where your opponent had three mana in play, you could never tap out without risking immediate death. If at any point you give the opponent the opportunity to play a Deceiver Exarch or Pestermite without any risk, they can untap and play a Splinter Twin and kill you.

Fatal Push being a one mana answer for both Pestermite and Exarch (with a fetch) makes unbanning Twin not crazy, but even if Twin is weaker it's still a bad play pattern to encourage. Just having to decide between "welp if you have it I'm dead, gonna put my head down and just cast my spells" or "welp I can't cast anything, guess I'll just pass back" feels pretty miserable. With Opt in the format and Ancestral Visions unbanned I think unbanning Twin is probably not a great idea, since the best case scenario is Twin comes back, it's just another adequate deck, and people get to enjoy the possibility of the opposing control decks outright killing them on turn four like all the other decks in Modern.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Elyv posted:

second sunrise is never getting unbanned since it wasn't broken(merely good) in the first place and was basically banned because it made matches take too long
It wasn't even about taking long matches, per se, but extremely long turns (because people never conceded to you because you could technically whiff if you hosed up bad I guess). Eggs placed in several tournaments but I think it only took on GP top 8 or top 16 where one single turn of over-time turns took 25+ minutes for them to drop the hammer.

Love that deck. :smith:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hellsau posted:

At any point on your turn where your opponent had three mana in play, you could never tap out without risking immediate death. If at any point you give the opponent the opportunity to play a Deceiver Exarch or Pestermite without any risk, they can untap and play a Splinter Twin and kill you.

Fatal Push being a one mana answer for both Pestermite and Exarch (with a fetch) makes unbanning Twin not crazy, but even if Twin is weaker it's still a bad play pattern to encourage. Just having to decide between "welp if you have it I'm dead, gonna put my head down and just cast my spells" or "welp I can't cast anything, guess I'll just pass back" feels pretty miserable. With Opt in the format and Ancestral Visions unbanned I think unbanning Twin is probably not a great idea, since the best case scenario is Twin comes back, it's just another adequate deck, and people get to enjoy the possibility of the opposing control decks outright killing them on turn four like all the other decks in Modern.

Unban Twin, ban Deceiver and Pestermite. Make you earn it with Bell-Ringer, Midnight Guard or Conscripts.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Hellsau posted:

and because the FTV version of Dryad Arbor is totally bullshit.

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The Sexual Shiite posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

It looks exactly like a basic Forest from across a table.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mezzanon posted:

Seriously.

Hellsau posted:

I'd be happy with a GSZ unban and a Dryad Arbor ban. GSZ is much worse than Traverse the Ulvenwald since it has a higher deckbuilding cost and is less powerful, assuming it's not also a mana creature when fetching Arbor. Banning Dryad Arbor is also cool and good because it makes Bogles worse and because the FTV version of Dryad Arbor is totally bullshit.

Putting green creatures in your deck is hardly a bigger deckbuilding cost than being able to get 4 card types in your graveyard quickly enough to be able to use Traverse.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Card price scholars- do you see Gideon of the Trials maintaining its ~$20 price point post-rotation? I kind of want one or two for Modern where I know it's seeing some play, but I feel like it's going to slowly go down in price like other recently-printed and Eternally-playable walkers like Nahiri and Liliana, and I'm not really in a rush to get them.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Babylon Astronaut posted:

If you don't have the answer to the splinter twin combo on turn 4+, you lose the game. Twin also ran izzet colors, so it had tons of interaction and the best card selection in the format.

3+

Starting on turn three, Twin could threaten to EOT Pestermite/Deceiver Exarch (tapping 1 of your lands) and then untap, drop a land and main phase the namesake enchantment winning on the spot. This meant that starting on twin's turn three you could never tap out. This was fine for merfolk as Aether Vial meant that merfolk could continue applying pressure while never tapping out, and having a threat that also bounced the enchanted creature, but for just about every other deck this meant having to choose between developing your board/strategy, or just losing if twin had it.

Meanwhile, since twins combo pieces were tempo creatures, backed with removal and counterspells, it could simply play an aggro-control game, often killing you without even using its combo. Heck games 2/3 savvy twin players would often completely remove the combo from the deck, as their opponent was still forced to respect it, thereby giving twin more control slots to dominate the opponent while the opponent was under an effective sphere of resistance or worse for most of the game.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Only good thing about twin was it meant loxodon smiter was a decent card that they had a hard time beating. I really miss using that dumb elephant. I really don't miss having to play around twin or dedicate sideboard slots specifically to beat it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

GSZ is fine

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

When we would play at the Virtual Gaming Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin as teens, my friend and I earned the moniker "The Black Border Brothers" because for aesthetic reasons we eschewed white-bordered reprints in building our decks.

I find it kind of funny coming back as a middle aged dork white borders are now the mark of cards at least a dozen years old.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 18, 2017

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I find it kind of funny coming back as a middle aged dork white borders are now the mark of cards at least a dozen years old.

I play 8th edition white boarder lands (the best lands) in any of my tournament decks at one of my 3 local LGS's

Everyone is using Zendikar or Amonkhet full arts and once I drop the white boarder land I get a look like I just murdered then devoured their first born child

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

80s James Hetfield posted:

I play 8th edition white boarder lands (the best lands) in any of my tournament decks at one of my 3 local LGS's

Everyone is using Zendikar or Amonkhet full arts and once I drop the white boarder land I get a look like I just murdered then devoured their first born child

The Unstable lands look good as Hell.

Gonna agitate for an Unstable draft at my FLGS, after reading all the spoilers and making sure I bring a nerf blaster and all the other needful things.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

The Unstable lands look good as Hell.

Gonna agitate for an Unstable draft at my FLGS, after reading all the spoilers and making sure I bring a nerf blaster and all the other needful things.

I am a little shocked at how many people don't like these lands. They are loving amazing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sickening posted:

I am a little shocked at how many people don't like these lands. They are loving amazing.

The only thing I can think someone might not like is the unconventional card frame, but they have messed with the frame so many times who cares?

P clear from across the table what kind of basic land it is, which is all that matters to me from a practical gameplay stance.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 18, 2017

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
The only one I don't really like is the Plains. The others are incredible.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the mountain is absolutely gorgeous, turns out taking away that dumb text box with nothing in it really lets you show things like height and depth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

They are pretty awesome but I cant get behind the card name boxes at the top. They just feel jarring to me.