Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Surprised Dr. DOOM is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Si Spurrier doing Suicide Squad has definitely raised my interest in the book, though I have been enjoying it quite a bit since the relaunch. I just wish they would have more of a rotating list of characters.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
All the expies remind me of like a year ago when Marvel did a bunch of DC expys like Hyperion and Squadron Supreme. Terrifics benefits from there being no FF solo, but I never do get the ideas of expys. I mean, sure, Moon Knight works, but who really wants to buy a copy of something when the original is still available?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

I've seen some stupid gimmick covers before, that's easily immediately in the top two or three.

Hmmmm....

Chromium
Die-cut
Lenticular

No, I don't think so.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Zoro posted:

All the expies remind me of like a year ago when Marvel did a bunch of DC expys like Hyperion and Squadron Supreme. Terrifics benefits from there being no FF solo, but I never do get the ideas of expys. I mean, sure, Moon Knight works, but who really wants to buy a copy of something when the original is still available?

Now like you can buy new Fantastic Four comics right now anyway.

Edit - I hope the Quantum & Woody variant updates to include the vertical fold out.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

Hmmmm....

Chromium
Die-cut
Lenticular

No, I don't think so.

These are worse that Chromium or Lenticular. Die-Cut is a good match for it in stupidity though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Zoro posted:

Because of the creative team, like any comic.
If Jeff Lemire wanted to write the FF at Marvel and couldn't, then who cares if we're getting it through knock-offs?
And it's eventually gonna have Doc Shaner art.
But most importantly, Plastic Man.

edit: If they were by anyone super interesting, the rip-off Spider-Man and Hulk comics would be exciting too.

Try out Lemire's Black Hammer. It's all tributes and pastiches and it's one of the best comics out.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 16, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yes those six to eight pages every two or three issues will sure look good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

These are worse that Chromium or Lenticular. Die-Cut is a good match for it in stupidity though.

Well, here's why I disagree: chromium and die-cut add nothing at all to the art. Lenticular I guess you can make an argument for, since you get two pieces of art, and there's something of a reveal involved ideally. This gets me three drawings, so it's better than those. I will grant that their use of it is pretty worthless since it's just three covers glued together, but I can at least see how it could be used in a cool way like how normal gatefold covers are.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

Well, here's why I disagree: chromium and die-cut add nothing at all to the art. Lenticular I guess you can make an argument for, since you get two pieces of art, and there's something of a reveal involved ideally. This gets me three drawings, so it's better than those. I will grant that their use of it is pretty worthless since it's just three covers glued together, but I can at least see how it could be used in a cool way like how normal gatefold covers are.

The cover also isn't actually completely visible at any time other than you unfolding it, which in my view makes it worthless. It also makes it that much easier for you or anyone else handling it to gently caress up and damage your special gimmick cover. Gimmicks don't really matter to me since I don't buy physical books anymore anyway but it's just another in a long line of dumb ideas to try and make issues feel special. Maybe these companies should just write a good comic and the issue will be special enough.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

The cover also isn't actually completely visible at any time other than you unfolding it, which in my view makes it worthless. It also makes it that much easier for you or anyone else handling it to gently caress up and damage your special gimmick cover. Gimmicks don't really matter to me since I don't buy physical books anymore anyway but it's just another in a long line of dumb ideas to try and make issues feel special. Maybe these companies should just write a good comic and the issue will be special enough.

Yeah, I don't either, but gatefolds can at least be made into a digital comic (though vertical scrolling will be very strange!).

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm going to give The Terrifics a try even if I don't know the characters. Looks cool.

Anyone know how many volumes I might expect in that Batman: Legacy series which had Vol 2 solicited there? Sounds like a cool story.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It should just be those two volumes. The following event was Cataclysm, then No Man's Land.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Roth posted:

Now like you can buy new Fantastic Four comics right now anyway.

Edit - I hope the Quantum & Woody variant updates to include the vertical fold out.

Well, I did give the Terrifics the benefit of their being no FF. Because of that, I'll probably pick it up because, like we both said, it's not like I can get the real thing.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Because of the creative team, like any comic.
If Jeff Lemire wanted to write the FF at Marvel and couldn't, then who cares if we're getting it through knock-offs?
But most importantly, Plastic Man.

edit: If they were by anyone super interesting, the rip-off Spider-Man and Hulk comics would be exciting too.

Try out Lemire's Black Hammer. It's all tributes and pastiches and it's one of the best comics out.

I guess I get what you're saying: it's about the writer, not the characters, and that is true in the world of comics, where you can have a great run with one writer and then, next issue, have it all go to poo poo because it swapped creative teams and vice versa.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zoro posted:

They're interacting with characters and a setting they wouldn't normally be in. Sure, Hyperion's a Superman expy but his bromance with Thor couldn't really exist in a DC setting.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Wasn't Sideways supposed to be co-written by Grant Morrison?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Shadowhawk did that same stupid cover gimmick like 20 years ago.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
So is Superwoman the first Rebirth book to get closed down? I can't recall for sure, but if so that's an impressive streak considering how New 52 went in terms of cancellations during its beginning years.

And I guess Young Animal's crossover is delayed because they're still waiting for Doom Patrol to get to issue #12. I wouldn't mind so much if every other book wasn't getting put on pause while DP catches up. I really miss Shade the Changing Girl.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah there were like 5 N52 books that got poo poo canned by #8.

Edit: LoL, somebody needs to tell the editor of Harley Quinn what "man-batter" is.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 17, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That last page of Batman.
It's pretty nice having an artist like Joelle on the comic. I hope she's in for the long haul.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 18, 2017

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The Wild Storm

Well I guess that's one way to make Swift useful...she's also the Doctor! Also Jenny's phone gag is the best party trick ever.

Still loving the series, hope it's doing okay enough to keep going as long as all involved want it to. Plus having missed out most of the stuff about the Wildcats side of things first time round, I have no clue what the deal is with the Daemons so nice to get some insight into all that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Who's ready for more loving convoluted Donna Troy retcons!!

woooOO! Titans!!1

...anyone..?

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

BrianWilly posted:

Who's ready for more loving convoluted Donna Troy retcons!!

woooOO! Titans!!1

...anyone..?

They're still retconning Donna Troy? How hard can it be to just give her an origin and stick with it?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Zoro posted:

They're still retconning Donna Troy? How hard can it be to just give her an origin and stick with it?

There's been entire reality resets....Just write a new one that doesn't need fixing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Isn't her original origin just "cover artists loving with the writers/interior artists"?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Isn't her original origin just "cover artists loving with the writers/interior artists"?
More "Teen Titans writer didn't read comics starring Wonder Girl and thought it was a unique character"

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I don't understand what was wrong with Wolfman's origin in "Who's Donna Troy?", kinda convoluted, yeah, but better than the mess of retcons we have now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Adnor posted:

I don't understand what was wrong with Wolfman's origin in "Who's Donna Troy?", kinda convoluted, yeah, but better than the mess of retcons we have now.

It got hosed by the crisis. They decided that Wonder Woman would be coming to the mans world in the present day, so she never could have rescued donna and brought her to the island.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

bobkatt013 posted:

It got hosed by the crisis. They decided that Wonder Woman would be coming to the mans world in the present day, so she never could have rescued donna and brought her to the island.

Oh riiight, I forgot about that.

Man, I love Crisis on Infinite Earths, it's a mess but a beautiful mess, but it did ruin a ton of stuff.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Adnor posted:

Oh riiight, I forgot about that.

Man, I love Crisis on Infinite Earths, it's a mess but a beautiful mess, but it did ruin a ton of stuff.

Fun game. Explain the Legion of Superheroes, Wonder Girl, and Hawkman.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Sentinel Red posted:

The Wild Storm

Well I guess that's one way to make Swift useful...she's also the Doctor! Also Jenny's phone gag is the best party trick ever.

Still loving the series, hope it's doing okay enough to keep going as long as all involved want it to. Plus having missed out most of the stuff about the Wildcats side of things first time round, I have no clue what the deal is with the Daemons so nice to get some insight into all that.

Daemons were an evil race that had an intergalactic war with the Kherubim. They could possess people. The Daemons and Kherubim on Earth crash landed millenia ago and conducted the war on a smaller scale thereafter. Turned our when they re-established contact with Khera the war had been over for centuries. The Kherubim won and made the Daemons second class citizens. I don't know if the Daemons' motivations for seeking evil ends were ever properly fleshed out

I'll give a little Kherubim rundown in case you're also not familiar with them.

the Kherubim on Earth were generally good guys despite their civilisation being kind of assholish. Jacob Marlowe (aka Lord Emp) was one, so was Zealot, both of whom we've already seen in the new series. The big Kheran names which are as yet unaccounted for are John Colt aka Spartan and Majestros aka Mr Majestic. John Colt was a dead Kherubim whose consciousness was imprinted on a robot. He was an interesting character in Wildcats 3.0, which basically set out to subvert the Reed Richards is useless trope. John Colt impersonated Jacob Marlowe after his death (he had several robot bodies he bounced his consciousness between) and used Kheran technology to try to improve humanity. The main conflict was with the status quo political and economic forces displaced by the great things he was doing. John Colt was on Jenny Sparks' big board of poo poo in issue 3. Grifter also says he has 'John' working on setting something up.

Majestros is a particularly powerful Superman clone. He was interesting because he had a much more paternal attitude to humanity than Superman and was more authoritarian but was still overall a good guy. While we haven't seen him yet, we did see a Majestic bunker so I'd say he's coming. I'd expect Ellis to do something weird with him given the lower power levels such that anything Supermanish would break the conflict and the more sci fi heavy world.

Edit: Oh, also, a later retcon by Dan Abnett made it so that the Kherubim would send out seeds into new worlds that would terraform worlds for kherans and alter the indigenous species to make them servitors for Kherans. I think that the main Kheran civilisation we see might actually be the result of one of those seeds so there might've been Kherans antedating the main group shown in Wildcats. Ellis might be doing a riff on this idea what with talk of a further purpose for the aliens coming to Earth that wasn't revealed in this issue.

And I'm dumb, we saw John Colt in issue 7. I think the race swap and how very unSpartanlike Colt's dialogue was threw me. The dialogue in general I'm finding a bit too full of quips and cutesy glibness. I don't particularly want to read Henry Bendix employing Whedon-speak. The rest of the book works pretty well, though; my only other problems are art quibbles. the boring environments. So many bland nondescript rooms. The overexposed colour palette. I don't know if those aspects are meant to contrast with the weird colourful poo poo we see when anything alien comes in or what.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 19, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Adnor posted:

Man, I love [event comic]. it's a mess but a beautiful mess, but it did ruin a ton of stuff.

everyeventcomic.txt

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Teenage Fansub posted:

That last page of Batman.
It's pretty nice having an artist like Joelle on the comic. I hope she's in for the long haul.

In the version i have (the print version), the word balloon is connecting to Talia instead of off panel so I was super confused at first until I realized it was just a printing gently caress up.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

bobkatt013 posted:

Fun game. Explain the Legion of Superheroes, Wonder Girl, and Hawkman.

Is the explanation that they're all bad? :smuggo:

(Kidding)

Edit - GL Earth One preview

https://twitter.com/gabrielhardman/status/921052928244199425

Roth fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 19, 2017

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Ooooh, thanks so much for taking the time to write all this. I only read Gen13/DV8 and then later Jenny-era Stormwatch onwards so never knew about any of that other stuff, just IO being mega bastards for the most part. Spartan's the headsock guy on the original Wildcats cover, right? Never would have figured he was a robot. As for Majestic, yeah, in that case I'd expect he would be massively toned down because a straight up Superman type currently sounds very out of whack with everything else. But we're apparently getting Apollo too at some point so maybe not.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Yep, headsock guy. While I like the character head socks were never cool. Wally West's current one ruins an otherwise cool outfit (reminds me a bit of Walter West's outfit which I always loved).

Superhero outfits really didn't fit the Wildstorm world since aside from the Authority the books were all about the shadowy power structures behind the scenes and no one in the setting thought of metahumans as particularly heroic. I'm glad Ellis hasn't shown any so far (I don't count Grifter's mask given the rest of his outfit had always been more low key and as we saw in the last issue where you're doing covert work it has a purpose even if it's a little flamboyant). Though if we see The High I hope he keeps his because he looks like a well tailored Nazi officer and it was always kind of jarringly funny given he wasn't such a bad sort.

I just picked up Michael Cray and I didn't realise Oliver loving Queen is in the new Wildstorm and he's a loving rich evil psycho. Weird to see him here. And there's a Bruce Wayne (not mentioned by name but it's clearly him)! I wouldn't have expected this but why not make these characters into weird evil rich pricks given the setting's themes. Book otherwise doesn't seem too bad, though I don't expect it will be as good as what Ellis is doing.

I wasn't so hot on the series reading it issue by issue but I went and reread it so far and it's a lot more intricate than I realised and reads really well when read back to back.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bleeding Cool is reporting that Action Comics 1000 is going to be a $30 hardcover. If so I won't be buying it in digital either because that price is insane.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's not impossible that they could break off the actual Tomasi/Jurgens issue from the reprints, backups, essays and poster.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 24, 2017

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

X-O posted:

Bleeding Cool is reporting that Action Comics 1000 is going to be a $30 hardcover. If so I won't be buying it in digital either because that price is insane.

There's gonna be a million other prints of varying cheaper prices probably, most likely the regular monthly pricing. The story sounds a little unbelievable, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The HC is just the special edition. They already assured retailers there will be floppies.

TLDR: BC can suck a dick.