Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Scudworth posted:

SwiftKey but I don't swype so dunno about that aspect.

Swiftkey is great for swiping as well. It gets my gobbledeegook swipes just fine now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'll give swiftkey a try, thanks

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

syscall girl posted:

Swiftkey is great for swiping as well. It gets my gobbledeegook swipes just fine now.

Sister you're secrets, it duchess as for me

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Is there a good keyboard app for Android beyond Gboard? I'm kind of done with the lovely swiping predictions, it's gotten progressively worse over the last two years. Gboard feels like it's primarily designed for teenage girls and feels slow as hell on my Pixel.

Top two options I have been able to find:

Jellybean Keyboard
Swype

Curious if anyone uses anything besides Gboard, and what their preference is, and why.

I always come back to Swype.

syscall girl posted:

SwiftKey is abysmal at swiping. I doubt it'd be possible to be worse.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I use SwiftKey for the occasional swipe and mostly tap. It works well for this purpose. I can see it being frustrating for someone who swipes all the time.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I remember loving Swype when it first came out and even ponied up for its original paid version but it just turned into a laggy mess. Is it better now?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Can you get different emoji keyboards? Not different emojis themselves, just changing the way they look - the ones on Windows 10 look quite nice, then I went to Android and the faces all look like hideous melted blobs.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Can you get different emoji keyboards? Not different emojis themselves, just changing the way they look - the ones on Windows 10 look quite nice, then I went to Android and the faces all look like hideous melted blobs.

They got rid of the blobmoji in Android 8.0 Oreo. Maybe your phone gets that update, maybe not.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I remember loving Swype when it first came out and even ponied up for its original paid version but it just turned into a laggy mess. Is it better now?

Swype is still Swype. They'll make an update that ruins it somehow then six months later make an update that fixes it and so on and so forth. Right now it's in the working phase.

They've fixed all the problems I've had with it (ugly, secondary characters were theme dependent, capitalization gesture was removed, lag) and if it never changes from where it is now I'd be satisfied.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's down to apps really, emoji are basically a font. Lately Google added a new font system that lets apps download fonts (including alternative and updated emoji fonts) and they get cached on the device, so apps can use any of those if they make the effort. You might end up with a thing where apps and keyboards let you choose from all the emoji fonts you have installed

Also you're a monster, blobs 4 life the old style ones, not the weird face-on ones

Also confirming the Gboard is pretty trash now, the only time it ever corrects a word is when it goes back to secretly change a perfectly cromulent word earlier in the sentence. It's like gremlins mode and you can't turn it off without disabling suggestions

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Also confirming the Gboard is pretty trash now, the only time it ever corrects a word is when it goes back to secretly change a perfectly cromulent word earlier in the sentence. It's like gremlins mode and you can't turn it off without disabling suggestions

Thank you!

Really frustrated that Google's product teams keep trying to reinvent the wheel and breaking core parts of the experience to... I don't know, either well-intentioned trying to somehow improve it, or more likely product designers trying to justify their jobs. Gboard was a solution to a problem nobody had.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Also you're a monster, blobs 4 life the old style ones, not the weird face-on ones

Can I get an amen?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Is there an alternative to Mint? It wants Intuit credentials now to log in and if I have to go through making another account I might as well see if there is something better out there.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Hasn't mint used Intuit credentials since the days of Froyo? :confused:

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

effika posted:

Is there an alternative to Mint? It wants Intuit credentials now to log in and if I have to go through making another account I might as well see if there is something better out there.

I stopped using Mint for Personal Capital awhile ago and haven't looked back.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

effika posted:

My favorite is YNAB.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
I haven't had time to read up on tech news in a week or more; what are the hopes for per-device (or apk/framework/services -based) Krack fixes if the OEMs don't push any updates for pre-2016 stuff? Like Marshmallow and earlier. Maybe this belongs in the general Android thread?

Would flashing some custom ROM like Lineage etc finally be advised with sincerity here?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sweart gliwere posted:

I haven't had time to read up on tech news in a week or more; what are the hopes for per-device (or apk/framework/services -based) Krack fixes if the OEMs don't push any updates for pre-2016 stuff? Like Marshmallow and earlier. Maybe this belongs in the general Android thread?

Would flashing some custom ROM like Lineage etc finally be advised with sincerity here?
Yeah this isn't really the right thread but basically don't buy phones that don't get updates and replace your phone when it stops getting updates. This is not the first critical security issue to occur on Android.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 18, 2017

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Swype is still Swype. They'll make an update that ruins it somehow then six months later make an update that fixes it and so on and so forth. Right now it's in the working phase.

They've fixed all the problems I've had with it (ugly, secondary characters were theme dependent, capitalization gesture was removed, lag) and if it never changes from where it is now I'd be satisfied.

Okay, cool. Swype seems a little finicky with punctuation but overall the prediction seems much better. A shame, Google Keyboard used to be so good.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Hasn't mint used Intuit credentials since the days of Froyo? :confused:

Apparently, but they changed the log-in page to say Intuit now. And somehow that made it forget my account even existed? Not just on the phone, but on the website, too. I don't know what happened. I'm probably just forgetting which email I signed up with, but I'm glad I asked the question because:

torturemyballs posted:

I stopped using Mint for Personal Capital awhile ago and haven't looked back.

Thermopyle posted:

My favorite is YNAB.

These both look like fine choices. Thanks!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Every time I log into LastPass, I get a pop up asking if I want Google to store my password. No, I do not want Google to basically have access to all my passwords! How do I turn this off?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

Every time I log into LastPass, I get a pop up asking if I want Google to store my password. No, I do not want Google to basically have access to all my passwords! How do I turn this off?

On your desktop in Chrome, go to chrome://flags/#enable-password-force-saving and disable that option. Should sync to Android on its own.

Because I use LastPass everywhere, I disable everything password related in Chrome and if you'd like to do that, just go to chrome://flags and ctrl-f password and disable the four or five options related to password retention, detection, and saving. Again, everything will sync to Android on its own.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

My favorite is YNAB.

Random side note, but YNAB recently laid off the entire QA department

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hadlock posted:

Well that doesn't seem ideal. I wonder what they're thinking?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

That's disconcerting. Frankly I wasn't thrilled with the direction of the software after they released nYNAB and have stuck to YNAB4. In the mean time I've been trying to knock something together myself in Python. Where did you hear about this?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Well that doesn't seem ideal. I wonder what they're thinking?

I don't know, but myself and another goon ended up contracting with them shortly after their contract with YNAB was ended and we are pretty happy with them so :confused:

The Gunslinger posted:

That's disconcerting. ... Where did you hear about this?

Working directly with them

Their "entire QA department" is just two people so it's not super dramatic

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 19, 2017

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I didn't think it was possible but the new aCar update made it even uglier.

Edit: and it removed the ability to see all your owned vehicles simultaneously in the charts. What the gently caress?

:negative:

Edit again: holy poo poo its getting hammered in Play Store reviews.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 19, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I didn't think it was possible but the new aCar update made it even uglier.

Edit: and it removed the ability to see all your owned vehicles simultaneously in the charts. What the gently caress?

:negative:

Edit again: holy poo poo its getting hammered in Play Store reviews.

Please post a screenshot. It's always been my go to for the most neglected UI on the Play Store.

I can't imagine why no one ever made a competitor. It's not like it does anything complicated.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Please post a screenshot. It's always been my go to for the most neglected UI on the Play Store.

I can't imagine why no one ever made a competitor. It's not like it does anything complicated.

New "home screen"

The record browse screen (new car, not a lot of records)

The new graph section which inexplicably allows you to see multiple fuel grades for ONE car but not fuel in multiple cars. Why the gently caress would anyone need multiple grades in a single car short of maybe a time or two over the years?

Like you pointed out, there are no competitors that do all the things I normally do in aCar so I put up with hits old and very strange style choices. This new one is....what?
I have almost a decade of data in this thing so I'm not really thrilled with the idea of changing to something else but jfc

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 20, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lol that app looks so poo poo.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Honestly I'd call that not bad, but it's definitely not great. In just terms of UI I guess I can't point to it and laugh anymore.

As for the charts issue, I've found that those things are mostly useless anyway. Why do I need to know $/gal ever? Are we crowdsourcing historical CPI data for the government now? Yeah, I know gas was expensive in 2011, everyone knows that. I care about mileage at best and maybe an historical record of how much I've spent.

Like I said, I just don't get it. aCar and everything like it is just a database and yet it's the only game in town.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

It's not not bad except this is what their fresh new design is supposed to be.

Like, if this is the design they've always had I'd think, not great but it's aged OK.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Honestly I'd call that not bad, but it's definitely not great. In just terms of UI I guess I can't point to it and laugh anymore.

As for the charts issue, I've found that those things are mostly useless anyway. Why do I need to know $/gal ever? Are we crowdsourcing historical CPI data for the government now? Yeah, I know gas was expensive in 2011, everyone knows that. I care about mileage at best and maybe an historical record of how much I've spent.

Like I said, I just don't get it. aCar and everything like it is just a database and yet it's the only game in town.

We'll have to disagree on the design, I find it atrocious. At least the old version while being dated was still novel (ie loooool) and not abrasive.

As for the charts and stuff, people like to nerd out about numbers, hell, every thread in IYG is a testament to that.

I can understand decline these days as more and more cars have info panels that display MPG but I find it informative to see just how optimistic the car thinks as opposed to getting the actual result. Like you though I don't understand why there aren't other apps that have the same feature parity. It's baffling.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 20, 2017

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

LastInLine posted:

On your desktop in Chrome, go to chrome://flags/#enable-password-force-saving and disable that option. Should sync to Android on its own.

Because I use LastPass everywhere, I disable everything password related in Chrome and if you'd like to do that, just go to chrome://flags and ctrl-f password and disable the four or five options related to password retention, detection, and saving. Again, everything will sync to Android on its own.

:toot:
Thanks, will see if that works.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Fuelio does the same thing doesn't it? They both have a million downloads

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Blue Train posted:

Fuelio does the same thing doesn't it? They both have a million downloads

Never heard of it but I'll give it a whirl. I'm guessing I'm going to lose years worth of data though.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Never heard of it but I'll give it a whirl. I'm guessing I'm going to lose years worth of data though.

iirc acar can export to csv which you can then load as a backup into fuelio. I do think it requires editing the headers tho so it's not as easy as it could be

E: check number 3 http://fuel.io/faq/

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Blue Train posted:

iirc acar can export to csv which you can then load as a backup into fuelio. I do think it requires editing the headers tho so it's not as easy as it could be

E: check number 3 http://fuel.io/faq/

Look at you being awesome. Thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Didn't Fuel.io buy aCar like a year ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Fuelio is sygic and acar is fuelly, llc going by the play store