Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Neito posted:

Speaking of "Characters that are terrible people", I don't know if this is a flaw in the medium or just "Nerds are lovely people", but I'm really annoyed that people start idolizing characters that are clearly intended to be lovely people (Rick Sanchez being the current most obvious example, but this goes back even to Scott Pilgrim; neither of these men are supposed to be good people in your eyes).

Hell, if you want to go further back Holden Caufield to me is the poster child of "celebrate the bad person because he's the protagonist" trope.

The only positive thing about that book is that it finally got rid of John Lennon. :v:

Edit for new page:

My IIMM is kinda similar, in that people I think are terrible that are the protagonist get justified by the supporting cast being even dumber. It's one of the things that made it hard for me to get into Rick & Morty, and something I found similar when I watched King of the Hill. I didn't necessarily agree with Hank Hill, but the fact Peggy was played to be even dumber to make Hank look like he's in the right rubbed me the wrong way. Then again, it's been a long time since I watched the show & my views may actually have changed to be more like Hank now that I'm older.

Android Apocalypse has a new favorite as of 15:41 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gum posted:

Idk it definitely seems to focus on a specific character archetype (Highly competent man who is hosed up mentally and ruins the lives of those around them)

Probably because it's like them except for the 'highly competent' part. And how they escape consequences for their actions through said competence.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Gum posted:

Idk it definitely seems to focus on a specific character archetype (Highly competent man who is hosed up mentally and ruins the lives of those around them)

I think it's always going to be an issue when the central theme is monstrous genius

EmmyOk posted:

This is why I'm liking Bojack a lot, I can't imagine anyone wants to be him. I mean I personally don't want to be Rick or Scott either because they're not good or fulfilled people but I can understand people wanting to be them.

Bojack's particular genius is in presenting him as a complete failure with a horrible unfulfilling life; it's actively hostile towards the idea that any one in it truly gains anything by being terrible.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The thing that irrationally irritates me about Bojack Horseman is that they're animals. Why are they animals? What does the show gain by having animals as characters instead of humans? Those occasional jokes where someone has a particular trait because of what type of animal they are? Those are the worst part of the show.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Neito posted:

Speaking of "Characters that are terrible people", I don't know if this is a flaw in the medium or just "Nerds are lovely people", but I'm really annoyed that people start idolizing characters that are clearly intended to be lovely people (Rick Sanchez being the current most obvious example, but this goes back even to Scott Pilgrim; neither of these men are supposed to be good people in your eyes).

Because the conflate the two separate character qualities - competence/intelligence/exceptionalism and awfulness/unlikability/social exclusion - and believe the latter is a result of the former. The character is intelligent and therefore they are unlikable. They then try to retrofit their own unlikability to being intelligent and exceptional.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Tiggum posted:

The thing that irrationally irritates me about Bojack Horseman is that they're animals. Why are they animals? What does the show gain by having animals as characters instead of humans? Those occasional jokes where someone has a particular trait because of what type of animal they are? Those are the worst part of the show.

For surrealism and because its ironic to have stupid animal jokes in an otherwise dark show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And just truly awful puns.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Hell, if you want to go further back Holden Caufield to me is the poster child of "celebrate the bad person because he's the protagonist" trope.

The only positive thing about that book is that it finally got rid of John Lennon. :v:

Edit for new page:

My IIMM is kinda similar, in that people I think are terrible that are the protagonist get justified by the supporting cast being even dumber. It's one of the things that made it hard for me to get into Rick & Morty, and something I found similar when I watched King of the Hill. I didn't necessarily agree with Hank Hill, but the fact Peggy was played to be even dumber to make Hank look like he's in the right rubbed me the wrong way. Then again, it's been a long time since I watched the show & my views may actually have changed to be more like Hank now that I'm older.

It wasen't until later seasons of King of the Hill that it turned into "Here is Hank vs a group/idea that Mike Judge doesn't like".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

And just truly awful puns.

It's this and I love it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm reminded of the early season KotH where Hank gets caught out in a tornado while trying to get to his family in a shelter, and he finally proclaims that he loves them in what he has good reason to fear are his last moments... while the tornado rips off all his clothes one by one. Amusing but also a pretty amusingly blatant visual metaphor.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm reminded of the early season KotH where Hank gets caught out in a tornado while trying to get to his family in a shelter, and he finally proclaims that he loves them in what he has good reason to fear are his last moments... while the tornado rips off all his clothes one by one. Amusing but also a pretty amusingly blatant visual metaphor.

Not his underwear.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Diet Poison posted:

Not his underwear.

Fair, but with how prudish he is there's hardly a difference.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Inescapable Duck posted:

Fair, but with how prudish he is there's hardly a difference.

I think you missed a joke.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

food court bailiff posted:

I think you missed a joke.

Probably, it's been a while.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Is the joke his narrow urethra or his tiny rear end?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Werong Bustope posted:

Yeah, it doesn't come across as well in S1 but one of the driving forces of the show is Bojacks's own refusal to grow or learn, driven by his deep self loathing. Presented with an awful situation of his own creation, he comes close to a moment of genuine self-reflection but at the last minute sabotages it, like he does everything in his life because he hates himself. A central theme is how the audience can empathise with Bojack's misery but also see how his ego and pride get in the way of experiencing personal growth - over and over again he's given an opportunity to learn something and instead reacts with crude spite, in this case because Herb refuses to give him the catharsis he's looking for.

It definitely gets better at communicating that in S2 and S3, S1 is a bit too broad and it's less obvious that moments like that are about Bojack being a huge piece of poo poo.

I enjoyed the first season but after season 2 felt that was enough. When your main character is miserable and incapable of change I don't really want to watch that same drum get beaten over and over.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
To me the worst part in the Ant-Man movie was that the bad guy already have a perfect fine super weapon.
There is that scene in the bathroom where he use a "not working" miniaturization gun that turn a guy into a small goo spit.
poo poo... Other villains and hitmen would love that!
And there is no reason why it would not work in guys like Thor or Hulk, unless there is a contrived bullshit explanation to why they are imune to the shrinking effect.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Neito posted:

Scott Pilgrim was a douchebag, but he was clearly meant to be identifiable and he got everything he wanted in the end. I think the problem there is that being a complete Nice Guy with no respect for women was only intended to be a minor character flaw.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Quack posted:

To me the worst part in the Ant-Man movie was that the bad guy already have a perfect fine super weapon.
There is that scene in the bathroom where he use a "not working" miniaturization gun that turn a guy into a small goo spit.
And there is no reason why it would not work in guys like Thor or Hulk, unless there is a contrived bullshit explanation to why they are imune to the shrinking effect.

Yeah that seemed like setting up the Yellowjacket suit having that kind of weapon, but nope.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah that seemed like setting up the Yellowjacket suit having that kind of weapon, but nope.

I remember now the first Spider-Man movie where the Green Goblin have that weird skeleton bomb thing that is used only once, and then forgotten.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Maybe he only had the one

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

jabby posted:

Scott Pilgrim was a douchebag, but he was clearly meant to be identifiable and he got everything he wanted in the end. I think the problem there is that being a complete Nice Guy with no respect for women was only intended to be a minor character flaw.

Well, ok. The point of Scott Pilgrim was that you can't fix yourself until you own up to your mistakes and accept that you were a dickass and work to make up for it. Volume 1-5 scott is not a role model, but a cautionary tale. Volume 6 is his redemption arc.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

sassassin posted:

I enjoyed the first season but after season 2 felt that was enough. When your main character is miserable and incapable of change I don't really want to watch that same drum get beaten over and over.

Yeah that's not that appealing to me. I understand having a terrible character who's incredibly self-destructive but I can't imagine wanting it to be the exact same after four seasons. I always liked Venture Brothers a lot because there were lasting changes to characters after events across seasons.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Neito posted:

Well, ok. The point of Scott Pilgrim was that you can't fix yourself until you own up to your mistakes and accept that you were a dickass and work to make up for it. Volume 1-5 scott is not a role model, but a cautionary tale. Volume 6 is his redemption arc.

I don't know much about the comics, I meant the film. The time between him being a dickass and him apparently redeeming himself is so short it's not really character development, more just a 'lol he's awesome now'.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

jabby posted:

I don't know much about the comics, I meant the film. The time between him being a dickass and him apparently redeeming himself is so short it's not really character development, more just a 'lol he's awesome now'.

The film is 1200 pages of comic smashed into two hours; the compression takes some of the effect out of it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I know people like Tina in Bob's Burgers but I can't because her annoying traits outweigh her entertaining ones for me. Also I know Bob's business failing is the joke but all the failures make me nervous especially with all the jokes about how badly they're in debt.

The new TBS show coming out called Drop The Mic has stars in rap battles and it's painfully obvious that they all have ghostwriters.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Louise is the annoying one to me because I feel her purpose is to be a poo poo-stirring iconoclast who specifically looks out for her own interests. I just watched The Silence of the Louise episode and her motivation to figure out who destroyed Mr. Frond's dolls is purely to go to the water park as they were promised when the class read 500 books.

Yeah, that's actually more realistic that a kid would be out for their self interests, but this is the Irrationally Irritating MovieTelevision Moment.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

I can't imagine wanting it to be the exact same after four seasons.
Well, it's not, if that helps. There are lasting changes, it's just Bojack is such a mess and has so many problems with so many layers that it takes some time (and some grade-A like-you-never-expected fuckups) to start making noticeable improvements.

Season 4 at least ends on a nice note (after one hell of a journey)

Rationally irritating season 4 moment: aside from showing how Todd had grown beyond needing Bojack, Todd's story was weak as gently caress and they could've just left him out entirely

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Well, it's not, if that helps. There are lasting changes, it's just Bojack is such a mess and has so many problems with so many layers that it takes some time (and some grade-A like-you-never-expected fuckups) to start making noticeable improvements.

Season 4 at least ends on a nice note (after one hell of a journey)

Rationally irritating season 4 moment: aside from showing how Todd had grown beyond needing Bojack, Todd's story was weak as gently caress and they could've just left him out entirely

I liked the clown dentists, which is apparently an unpopular opinion

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gaunab posted:

Also I know Bob's business failing is the joke but all the failures make me nervous especially with all the jokes about how badly they're in debt.

I actually posted this in the Bob's Burgers thread back when it happened, but it really irritated me how the family can do incredibly stupid poo poo which no working class family would actually ever do. Like throw away a brand new couch and take back their old broken one because they "missed" the old one's stains and lumps.

You're working poor who just spent, for them, a massive sum of money they really couldn't afford to finally get themselves an actual, brand new bit of furniture, possibly for the first time in their lives. Then they went and literally let some teenagers set it on fire so they could get back the broken one which they had thrown away. Into a sewer.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Quack posted:

I thought it was weird when Ant-Man was breaking into Michael Douglass’s house and he sees the safe door and says something like “ that’s the same steel that was on the Titanic, it will be weak to ice!” Then freezes it open. It’s not like the titanic was weak to ice, it was was that it rammed full speed into an iceberg.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah that's not that appealing to me. I understand having a terrible character who's incredibly self-destructive but I can't imagine wanting it to be the exact same after four seasons. I always liked Venture Brothers a lot because there were lasting changes to characters after events across seasons.

Yeah, and they even demonstrate it; compare Brock Samson in later seasons where he's far more paternal to early season and flashbacks where he's an emotionless killing machine. To say nothing of the Venture Bros themselves becoming almost completely different both from their original selves and each other when they started out identical.

Of course, it's expected for children and teenagers to change significantly as they grow, while adults tend to be more set in their ways.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Inescapable Duck posted:

Yeah, and they even demonstrate it; compare Brock Samson in later seasons where he's far more paternal to early season and flashbacks where he's an emotionless killing machine. To say nothing of the Venture Bros themselves becoming almost completely different both from their original selves and each other when they started out identical.

Of course, it's expected for children and teenagers to change significantly as they grow, while adults tend to be more set in their ways.

Also the kids are no longer replaceable.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Gaunab posted:

The new TBS show coming out called Drop The Mic has stars in rap battles and it's painfully obvious that they all have ghostwriters.

My mate is really into freestyle rap battles and the like and used to show me loads of the local lads here doing it in the park and I was rather impressed with it all... until he then revealed that it was all pre-written and scripted. I genuinely thought these kids were just meeting up and just coming up with these "fresh rhymes" on the fly which I thought was the appeal? I mean given enough time sitting at home anyone could write a rap (quality may vary, obviously) but doing it off the top of your head seems special.

I pointed this out to him but he wasn't having any of it.

In a similar way (and maybe I'm just naive about this) I found out recently that standups can work crowds into heckling them in ways that they want them too. Talking about Stuart Lee here mostly. It's impressive still, but a bit of the magic has gone.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
What ever became of the dude who turned into The Leader in Incredible Hulk? That film is part of the MCU, right?

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

What ever became of the dude who turned into The Leader in Incredible Hulk? That film is part of the MCU, right?

We don't know because he's never appeared again. Yes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When someone is talking to someone that others can't see (ghost, angel, alien, whatever) and they never think of pulling their phone out. I get that this was a thing before mobile phones, but it makes absolutely no sense in the 21st century. Everyone's looking at you like you're a crazy person, but if you just held your phone up to your face or wore some of those earbuds with the microphone built in that come with every phone then you'd just look like a normal person and no one would suspect a thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I thought it was weird when Ant-Man was breaking into Michael Douglass’s house and he sees the safe door and says something like “ that’s the same steel that was on the Titanic, it will be weak to ice!” Then freezes it open. It’s not like the titanic was weak to ice, it was was that it rammed full speed into an iceberg.

He's not being literal.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Tiggum posted:

When someone is talking to someone that others can't see (ghost, angel, alien, whatever) and they never think of pulling their phone out. I get that this was a thing before mobile phones, but it makes absolutely no sense in the 21st century. Everyone's looking at you like you're a crazy person, but if you just held your phone up to your face or wore some of those earbuds with the microphone built in that come with every phone then you'd just look like a normal person and no one would suspect a thing.

My local mental health services have a drop off for broken old phones to give to schizophrenics and other people with psychotic disorders so that if the urge to talk back to inner voices becomes overwhelming in public they can just pretend to be on the phone. Even people with a tenuous grasp on reality can work that one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Everyone’s probably already thinking they’re talking on headsets anyway.