Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

I use a combination of the j# vsphere client and the html5 vsphere client.
can't use the .net client to connect to vcenter 6.5, and the html5 client is missing features

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

mrmcd posted:

Question 1: If their corporate WiFi network were suddenly transformed into a Starbucks wifi, how hosed would they be? I.e. How much of their security depends strongly on network trust?

If the answer is "quite hosed", proceed to question 2.

Question 2: How easy is it for a hypothetical attacker to physically place equipment within the corp wifi bubble for an extended period of time without being detected? If the answer is "quiet easy" proceed to question 3.

Question 3: How likely is it anyone cares enough about their poo poo corp to get around to targeting them specifically before all the laptops and phones get patched?

if the answer to two is "pretty easy" I hope you've also secured your wired edge ports as well, but you probably haven't, so R.I.P

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

title: “Microsoft is good? :psyduck:
afair the paper said none of the analyzed sources lacked entropy and the primes were safe, it's just that you could fingerprint the remote end by looking at the prime bits produced, and that is an information leak that can help identify parties.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

can't use the .net client to connect to vcenter 6.5, and the html5 client is missing features

this is one reason we're still on 6

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Shaggar posted:

this is one reason we're still on 6

:same:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i'll move to hyper-v before installing flash

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

anthonypants posted:

there was a flash update to fix an 0day https://helpx.adobe.com/security/products/flash-player/apsb17-32.html

except it breaks the vmware flash client, and the recommended fix from vmware is to roll back to the old version of flash https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2151945

On the surface this sounds lol, but in practice it's probably fine.

The Flash web client is being deprecated in favor of the HTML5 web client. It would be nice if they would fix it considering that I believe the HTML5 client still isn't at full parity with the older Flash client, but this is a thing that will solve itself with time.

Caveat, I haven't used vSphere in like a year. I never had trouble with just using the HTML5 client.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I can't wait till Flash is finally gone

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Shaggar posted:

i'll move to hyper-v before installing flash

at this point old homestarrunner stuff is 100% of why i still use flash willingly

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ErIog posted:

On the surface this sounds lol, but in practice it's probably fine.

The Flash web client is being deprecated in favor of the HTML5 web client. It would be nice if they would fix it considering that I believe the HTML5 client still isn't at full parity with the older Flash client, but this is a thing that will solve itself with time.

Caveat, I haven't used vSphere in like a year. I never had trouble with just using the HTML5 client.
the html5 client is great but like i just said, the html5 client is missing features. it sucks that they're still relying on the flash client and also that it exists at all

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

mrmcd posted:

Question 1: If their corporate WiFi network were suddenly transformed into a Starbucks wifi, how hosed would they be? I.e. How much of their security depends strongly on network trust?

If the answer is "quite hosed", proceed to question 2.

Question 2: How easy is it for a hypothetical attacker to physically place equipment within the corp wifi bubble for an extended period of time without being detected? If the answer is "quiet easy" proceed to question 3.

Question 3: How likely is it anyone cares enough about their poo poo corp to get around to targeting them specifically before all the laptops and phones get patched?

1. gently caress if I know. I should look and see if our peoplesoft implementation goes over https. That’s the biggest thing.

2. Well, you need a user ID and password to get on to any of the networks, and only 1 of the 3 allows to any privileged info. So a rogue device on the network would be seen pretty quickly, and Ethernet ports are locked down too.

3. It’s a college, so probably more than average but less than most due to snarfable PII.

Sounds like we’re not too bad off overall with what’s been said.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Avenging_Mikon posted:

1. gently caress if I know. I should look and see if our peoplesoft implementation goes over https. That’s the biggest thing.

2. Well, you need a user ID and password to get on to any of the networks, and only 1 of the 3 allows to any privileged info. So a rogue device on the network would be seen pretty quickly, and Ethernet ports are locked down too.

3. It’s a college, so probably more than average but less than most due to snarfable PII.

Sounds like we’re not too bad off overall with what’s been said.

this sounds like my college and if my college of 30000 students is any indication hilariously insecure and relying on vlans alone for the heavy lifting for network isolation

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

there was a flash update to fix an 0day

you could say this every week for the past 15 years and it would be just as true

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

this sounds like my college and if my college of 30000 students is any indication hilariously insecure and relying on vlans alone for the heavy lifting for network isolation

mm yes thank goodness there are such excellent alternatives to vlans for network segmentation, such as,

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

abigserve posted:

mm yes thank goodness there are such excellent alternatives to vlans for network segmentation, such as,

such as not having all the important stuff on a 'secure' campus wide wifi that includes dorms

its not a very good system here, but it is better than it all being on one network

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

such as not having all the important stuff on a 'secure' campus wide wifi that includes dorms

its not a very good system here, but it is better than it all being on one network

Single ssid -> multiple VLANs based on user attributes or whatever works really well though and in fact it's pretty much been adopted as the defacto way to provision wireless networks for years?

realistically there is no way anyone who actually gives a poo poo about network isolation is going to run any protected service over wireless. can't segregate the air, yo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my college at least completely isolated all the dorm / residency network stuff from the rest of the school, and the wifi once you were actually on school grounds was significantly more locked down

then again they also installed way too many AP's (i was told we had a total of 14,000 of them, and there was like one every 5 - 10 feet, seriously) so the wifi was practically worthless most of the time since they were all interfering with each other

burning swine
May 26, 2004

anthonypants posted:

except it breaks the vmware flash client, and the recommended fix from vmware is to roll back to the old version of flash https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2151945

lol we got an email from IT Monday morning advising us all to roll back for this reason

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

my college at least completely isolated all the dorm / residency network stuff from the rest of the school, and the wifi once you were actually on school grounds was significantly more locked down

then again they also installed way too many AP's (i was told we had a total of 14,000 of them, and there was like one every 5 - 10 feet, seriously) so the wifi was practically worthless most of the time since they were all interfering with each other

uni's you get the particularly tasty brand of secfuck where IT wants everything to be as secure as possible and standardized, "IT as a service" etc. but then you tell someone they can't do something and suddenly "x had a talk to the vice chancellor and they said we have to..."

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

abigserve posted:

uni's you get the particularly tasty brand of secfuck where IT wants everything to be as secure as possible and standardized, "IT as a service" etc. but then you tell someone they can't do something and suddenly "x had a talk to the vice chancellor and they said we have to..."

can confirm for west aus, unis are accidents waiting to happen

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

M_Gargantua posted:

the college I went to not had no authentication on their wireless network other than a page that you logged into and registered your wireless device's MAC to your student user account

like I mean literally 100% no encryption at all, because the MAC system is obviously secure and

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
oh yeah and that was a college with about 25 thousand students at the time

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

At my college they had a thing where if you torrented too many cool vidz from your dorm room, it would throttle your connection for the rest of the day to dialup speeds. But it was based on mac address, so you could just change the address in software and get fast again. Or you could setup a socks ssh tunnel to the cs linux lab, which had no throttling.

Well that's my college network story thanks for listening.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Haquer posted:

the college I went to not had no authentication on their wireless network other than a page that you logged into and registered your wireless device's MAC to your student user account

like I mean literally 100% no encryption at all, because the MAC system is obviously secure and

when I was in school they did that because WPA2 clients didn’t really work yet

and then they set it up and had guides and it worked

that’s my story, see you later

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I told the last place I worked to implement a pppoe setup for the dorms so the students could simply bring their own routers in and we wouldn't have to worry about huge wifi deployments, but it was shafted as too expensive

then they built the next big building and it was a bunch of shipping containers stiched together so basically every room required an enterprise AP lmao

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

abigserve posted:

im security for a university and yeah, gently caress this poo poo forever and ever. new director/cio are changing some of that culture but ugh its such a poo poo show. rip me.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

thanks for whoever pointed out the free yubikey replacement program, just ordered mine :tipshat:

e: oh man I just remembered I have an old one that snapped in half that I think I might have kept the individual pieces of, I wonder if I can parlay that into another free one...

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 18, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/supergreatfrien/status/920297877754093568

E:

https://twitter.com/supergreatfrien/status/920298481092198400

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 18, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

lol I've taken this exact training

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cocoa Crispies posted:

when I was in school they did that because WPA2 clients didn’t really work yet

and then they set it up and had guides and it worked

that’s my story, see you later

When I was in college we didn't have wireless, but we did have gigabit internet connections and a campus-wide lan that we could play half-life DM on. :cool:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

When I was in college we didn't have wireless, but we did have gigabit internet connections and a campus-wide lan that we could play half-life DM on. :cool:

we each got symmetrical 100M lines that we could have upgraded to symmetrical gigabit lines if we asked nicely so that was nice

also they frowned on torrenting public files off the greater internet because they'd gotten plenty of DMCA notices so someone set up a DCC network that went entirely over the private school network and was conveniently ignored by school IT since it wasn't using any internet bandwidth and they didn't get any takedowns from it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
my college time was before bittorrent but we had a shitload of napster/kazaa/limewire traffic

wifi showed up about halfway through, it was mindblowing to be able to pick up a toilet seat ibook and go to a bench slightly down the hall with it

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Avenging_Mikon posted:

If anyone cares, looks like pretty much all our server-side software uses https.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/10/google-play-apps-with-as-many-as-2-6m-downloads-added-devices-to-botnet/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
boy this sure makes me feel a whole lot better about that new application scanning feature in chrome

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lol android

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

i love my malware infested botnet phone :colbert:

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I'm a little unclear. Are they suggesting the DDOS would be performed by the SOCKS proxy being pointed at a target instead of an ad server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

ate all the Oreos posted:

thanks for whoever pointed out the free yubikey replacement program, just ordered mine :tipshat:

just happy to help

• Locked thread