Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Jeza posted:

Purely linear games aren't likely to get much better than the best examples we already have, imo. In the end, having a crafted story but available within an awesome world with freedom and the chance to 'make your own' stories is both a more appealing prospect and a grander target to aim at.
Yeah but having more games that are as good as the best ones we have would be cool, and if people make a lot of linear games that's more likely to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jeza posted:

I mostly agree with this, but open world games are the one with big scope and potential for the future. They've already come a long way. At some point we'll be playing games with competent AI directors, area generation and so on, and devs can focus on creating cool stories and a rounded experience.

Purely linear games aren't likely to get much better than the best examples we already have, imo. In the end, having a crafted story but available within an awesome world with freedom and the chance to 'make your own' stories is both a more appealing prospect and a grander target to aim at.

I'll take Dark Messiah over Oblivion any day of the week, sure, but in the end Oblivion is a paving stone on the road towards what games in the future will look like, while Dark Messiah is just a fun dead end. Giant game devs will be creating living, breathing worlds with their AAA titles in 2050. Linear games will be like the indie games of today. Like vignettes to novels.
This reads like a lovely Kickstarter pitch by someone who "has friends in the industry."

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Not an opinion: anyone who liked Fallout 1 and 2 is seriously missing out if they haven't picked up Wasteland 2 on Steam.

Opinions:

-All 3 Witcher games sucked.

-There hasn't been any notable improvements to FPS gameplay since Half-Life 1 and it's mods. Any new shooters can be put into one of three categories: Half-Life, Counterstrike, Team Fortress.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

vaginite posted:

Not an opinion: anyone who liked Fallout 1 and 2 is seriously missing out if they haven't picked up Wasteland 2 on Steam.
ugh yeah I've been wanting to play it so bad since it came out but haven't really had the time to set aside enough for me to be able to like, really enjoy it, so I don't want to start

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I 100% love Fallout 1 & 2, but Wasteland 2 is not fun. The setting is abysmally unfun. I didn't make it out of the first few areas, but it mostly played sort of like Fallout did, just minus any story of substance, or interesting lore, or really anything interesting. It was post-apocalyptic army rangers doing army things in a nuclear hellscape? yawn!

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

basic hitler posted:

I 100% love Fallout 1 & 2, but Wasteland 2 is not fun. The setting is abysmally unfun. I didn't make it out of the first few areas, but it mostly played sort of like Fallout did, just minus any story of substance, or interesting lore, or really anything interesting. It was post-apocalyptic army rangers doing army things in a nuclear hellscape? yawn!

I can see that - the first couple parts of the game are kind of on rails and stock, and there is a linear progression to the story, but I thought overall there was tons of side stuff to do and really well developed characters and towns, esp. once you get to California.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

i like it so far, the main character is a total jagoff with an awful voice actor and it's kind of great

also I'm watching American Horror Story and listening to you guys talk about Croc and a spooky noise in the show just sounded like a gobbo talking sped up and killed the mood

Tbh if they just make Gothic 2/Risen 1 but with sci fi stuff too, I would be happy haha

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

basic hitler posted:

I recall some review saying "If you can get past the 20 hours hump it gets good."

I believe it, but as with any media if there's a "hump" to get over then there better be blowjobs and ice cream on the other side. Metaphorically speaking of course. I don't believe Wasteland 2 is that good.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Up until DOOM, Fear was the best console fps.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

If you loved the Lunar series you're probably kind of a sissy.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Oscar Wild posted:

Up until DOOM, Fear was the best console fps.

The only mechanic Doom and Fear have is shooting. That gets old pretty fast. For a single player shooter to be fun, you need to add some more mechanics to mix it up, like the suit powers in Crysis or the wall running and double jumping in Titanfall2.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

The Dennis System posted:

The only mechanic Doom and Fear have is shooting. That gets old pretty fast. For a single player shooter to be fun, you need to add some more mechanics to mix it up, like the suit powers in Crysis or the wall running and double jumping in Titanfall2.
this is not true for Fear or the new Doom (which I assume the other guy was talking about since he implied it came after Fear)

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

although yeah, Crysis was super rad for the first 2 hour part where you're not fighting the robot guys from the matrix.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

also crysis multiplayer was fun if you got the ice gun.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I could not agree more. Even destructible environments have taken a step backwards (remember Red Faction?) .

The Dennis System posted:

Ratchet and Clank? Good video games.

vaginite posted:

I sympathize with all these statements.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Assassin’s creed is a good series and no matter how bad the plots or some of the missions are, it will never not be fun to go parkouring through famous cities, and the lack of tall building was the primary reason III wasn’t very fun. Black Flag also didn’t have a lot but being a pirate was fun.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

a hole-y ghost posted:

this is not true for Fear or the new Doom (which I assume the other guy was talking about since he implied it came after Fear)

I forgot about the first person platforming in Doom, but there wasn't much of it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GreatGreen posted:

Witcher 3's wilderness would be better if the trees weren't blowing around like the entire world is being torn apart by a category 5 hurricane 24/7.

Wind... howling

Khomaniac
Dec 9, 2013

-Skyrim is noticeably worse than Morrowind and Oblivion, with its generic nordic fantasy setting. Going from (relatively) original IP like Silt Striders to generic fantasy dragons was the biggest let down of the series.

-Fallout 4 ruled, the "old school" detractors basking in nostalgia, some of it fabricated, need to realize they don't own the IP and judge things on their own merits. I enjoy the more humorous '50s pulp aspects Bethesda has introduced.

-Bethesda, I am never going to want a companion in a First Person Open World game. Fallout 4 was actually really good in regards to it having better companions than TES and past Fallout entries, but First Person Open World poo poo is funner to explore on your own.

-The fact that the standard CRPG party has been switched to 3-4 member parties instead of the 6 member parties of Baldurs Gate II days is bullshit. Dragon Age Inqusition was a near perfect game, but when every character has a cool backstory, but not all of them are equally likable, I'm not going to continually switch them out. I'm usually going to stick with the same config through the entire story.

-Protaganists should never be voiced (is this unpopular? I don't know)

-Tyranny was so close in premise to The Black Company books that it should have just been a licensed Black Company game. That's not an insult, I liked Tyranny, in spite of the atrocious combat, but it was pretty close. That series rules. The whole "hive mind" antagonist, mercenary protaganist, grizzled old mercenary leader, autonomous agents acting under one supreme god like being, etc.

-But holy gently caress did the combat suck in Tyranny. Though I think everybody acknowledges that.

-I don't ever want to craft poo poo in top down party based CRPGs. Baldurs Gate II had legendary items that I still remember. Crafting has its place in Bethesda style titles, and The Witcher kind of handles it OK since it is integral to the IP, but the Dragon Age series.......I don't want to make potions or spend time finding recipes, add more content.

-Every inventory UI after the Infinity engine has loving sucked. Why change something that worked?

-Jesus loving Christ. Loyalty quests are cool, but the way everyone implements them it makes it so every character has to have a "troubled backstory". Sometimes I just want straight up killing machine tough guys. Minsc didn't have a sad backstory, Edwin didn't, Canderous from the KOTOR games backstory was only sort of sad because it was like "yeah, I used to kill a lot more things back in the day, my life sucks now because I'm not riding war droids into planets atmospheres and slaughtering everything in sight". Why does my Berserker warrior have to have a troubled past?

-I actually forget if it was New Vegas or 4 that did this, maybe both, but if you are going to have achievements like "killed 10 bugs" make them worth XP so it's not just something annoying popping up on screen. I know New Vegas had the challenges, can't remember if 4 had them.

-Base building in RPGs is out of hand. It was cool when it was new, in KOTOR having the Ebon Hawk as a moving base was really fresh, but then there was Mass Effect and Dragon Age now in every game I have some base hub.

-Blood Dragon was the best Far Cry game.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Khomaniac posted:

No one denies this.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Good soup! posted:

:yeah: I'm looking forward to trying it out

It's going to be the same as the Risens - pretty fun, but everyone will only talk about its jankiness (which will be enormous, to be fair¨)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Khomaniac posted:

Dragon Age Inqusition was a near perfect game

What's wrong with you

It was just a collection of fetch quests, and they literally didn't even bother to write down any justification or plot for them, just "go here and collect 200 ancient seal fragments to unlock the next story sequence"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Khomaniac posted:

-Skyrim is noticeably worse than Morrowind and Oblivion, with its generic nordic fantasy setting. Going from (relatively) original IP like Silt Striders to generic fantasy dragons was the biggest let down of the series.

-Fallout 4 ruled, the "old school" detractors basking in nostalgia, some of it fabricated, need to realize they don't own the IP and judge things on their own merits. I enjoy the more humorous '50s pulp aspects Bethesda has introduced.

-Bethesda, I am never going to want a companion in a First Person Open World game. Fallout 4 was actually really good in regards to it having better companions than TES and past Fallout entries, but First Person Open World poo poo is funner to explore on your own.

-The fact that the standard CRPG party has been switched to 3-4 member parties instead of the 6 member parties of Baldurs Gate II days is bullshit. Dragon Age Inqusition was a near perfect game, but when every character has a cool backstory, but not all of them are equally likable, I'm not going to continually switch them out. I'm usually going to stick with the same config through the entire story.

-Protaganists should never be voiced (is this unpopular? I don't know)

-Tyranny was so close in premise to The Black Company books that it should have just been a licensed Black Company game. That's not an insult, I liked Tyranny, in spite of the atrocious combat, but it was pretty close. That series rules. The whole "hive mind" antagonist, mercenary protaganist, grizzled old mercenary leader, autonomous agents acting under one supreme god like being, etc.

-But holy gently caress did the combat suck in Tyranny. Though I think everybody acknowledges that.

-I don't ever want to craft poo poo in top down party based CRPGs. Baldurs Gate II had legendary items that I still remember. Crafting has its place in Bethesda style titles, and The Witcher kind of handles it OK since it is integral to the IP, but the Dragon Age series.......I don't want to make potions or spend time finding recipes, add more content.

-Every inventory UI after the Infinity engine has loving sucked. Why change something that worked?

-Jesus loving Christ. Loyalty quests are cool, but the way everyone implements them it makes it so every character has to have a "troubled backstory". Sometimes I just want straight up killing machine tough guys. Minsc didn't have a sad backstory, Edwin didn't, Canderous from the KOTOR games backstory was only sort of sad because it was like "yeah, I used to kill a lot more things back in the day, my life sucks now because I'm not riding war droids into planets atmospheres and slaughtering everything in sight". Why does my Berserker warrior have to have a troubled past?

-I actually forget if it was New Vegas or 4 that did this, maybe both, but if you are going to have achievements like "killed 10 bugs" make them worth XP so it's not just something annoying popping up on screen. I know New Vegas had the challenges, can't remember if 4 had them.

-Base building in RPGs is out of hand. It was cool when it was new, in KOTOR having the Ebon Hawk as a moving base was really fresh, but then there was Mass Effect and Dragon Age now in every game I have some base hub.

I agree with a lot of this, but it irked me that you suggested nordic fantasy was common. To my knowledge it has been adapted in skyrim and witcher 3, and a few indie games. Not exactly as cliche as medieval england and france.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

there's a lot of good points in that long post that almost make you think he's being sincere but then he says the setting for skyrim is more boring than Fantasy Plains Simulator 2006 and that DA:I is a good game, and that FO4 is the best fallout but base building in RPGs is bad. very nice subtle trolling there, 8/10

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 18, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
DA:O was very good

It was the only Dragon Age game that even approached the being good territory, though

Khomaniac
Dec 9, 2013

there's a lot of good points in that long post that almost make you think he's being sincere but then he says the setting for skyrim is more boring than Fantasy Plains Simulator 2006 and that DA:O is a good game, and that FO4 is the best fallout but base building in RPGs is bad. very nice subtle trolling there, 8/10

I definitely didn't say Origins is a good game or mean to imply that, Origins has shitloads of flaws, Inquisition is awesome though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

DA:O was very good

It was the only Dragon Age game that even approached the being good territory, though

Coincidentally, the only Dragon Age game developed while Bioware was still independent.

(It technically released after their acquisition, but the game was near totally complete by then.)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Dragon Age 2 was my favorite Persona game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Khomaniac posted:

I definitely didn't say Origins is a good game or mean to imply that, Origins has shitloads of flaws, Inquisition is awesome though.

yeah I just edited it

inquisition is not very good though, man. i played it a ton mid-move because my actual good games were either in storage or required an online connection that i couldn't rely on, and even then it was just such a mediocre game that i got a ton of reading and work done that month

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Khomaniac posted:

trolling too obvious

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

da:i was like someone slapped several million dollars of marketing and graphics on a budget launch title

Khomaniac
Dec 9, 2013

yeah I just edited it

inquisition is not very good though, man. i played it a ton mid-move because my actual good games were either in storage or required an online connection that i couldn't rely on, and even then it was just such a mediocre game that i got a ton of reading and work done that month

In regards to the base building in Fallout 4 being bad I also oppose that one. I didn't care much for the settlers, but the glorified legos aspect was awesome. I was building the sickest airship to oppose the Brotherhood's floating racism fortress.

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

Khomaniac posted:

-Tyranny was so close in premise to The Black Company books that it should have just been a licensed Black Company game.

whoa I think you just sold me on this, let me see how much it is on Stea...

Khomaniac posted:

aw son of a

Khomaniac
Dec 9, 2013

Lunchabully posted:

whoa I think you just sold me on this, let me see how much it is on Stea...

aw son of a

I would say play it if it's cheap on Steam.

The two main characters giving you quests from the start are pretty much stand ins for Soulcatcher and The Captain. The "Archon" system under the one godlike being is pretty much the exact same thing as The Ten that were Taken.

It's not perfect, but I'm surprised they didn't mention it in interviews. It's a little too close for it to be a coincidence, if they had got The Black Company IP and had more development time it could have been truly great.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Tyranny is drat short, shallow, and it ends just as it looks like it's getting somewhere. Only worth it if there is no RPG in your queue, imo.

Khomaniac
Dec 9, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Tyranny is drat short, shallow, and it ends just as it looks like it's getting somewhere. Only worth it if there is no RPG in your queue, imo.

Well what they've said in interviews is the aim was to create a 15 hour game with many different choices so it's a different experience each time instead of a 300 hour game, but I agree with all of that. I would rather have a longer game.

The premise was cool though, and Steam frequently has it cheap.

If they do Tyranny 2 and it's really good the ending would be excused as "avant garde storytelling", which I'm hoping happens.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

basic hitler posted:

I agree with a lot of this, but it irked me that you suggested nordic fantasy was common. To my knowledge it has been adapted in skyrim and witcher 3, and a few indie games. Not exactly as cliche as medieval england and france.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/dusk-of-the-gods-14y

Chock full of all the nordic fantasy that you could ever ask for. It has so much good stuff, all the gods and you even get to toss around the head of some dead guy that talks to you (11 yo me thought that was amazing.).

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
tyranny is just a trick to get you to play pillars of eternity again and it was already boring. Sad! Trash game!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Literally A Person posted:

The only good game is Croc. Spare me your bullshit equivocation, "but LAP your opinion is wrong and mine is better." No. You are loving wrong. CROC the loving CROCODILE

Crocs jumping was the loving worst thing in a platformer, it’s collectibles obtuse, and it’s music and sounds one note and I hated everything about it. And yet...I played it so goddamn much as a kid :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

well I did just buy Witcher 3, despite it being this thread's least favorite game. so I guess I'll be disappointed by that first