Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Quiet Feet posted:

Just got back from Costco. We're going to be the house that hands out full-size candy bars this year.

Sir, I solute you. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Quiet Feet posted:

Just got back from Costco. We're going to be the house that hands out full-size candy bars this year.

I no poo poo remember the people's name and house that used to do this when I was a kid.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I combine the worst of all the trends by giving mini bibles with razors in them

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Caryl Chessman never killed anyone tho :thunk:

are you gonna be the one to tell Chessman that because I wouldn't

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Alaois posted:

are you gonna be the one to tell Chessman that because I wouldn't

Electroshock would never make such a rookie mistake

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Quiet Feet posted:

Props. There's nothing more exciting on Trick or Treat than the full-size bar.

I stopped buying candy for kids -- no one bothers coming up my 1/4 mile long driveway:(

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Doing the Lord's work. Praise be unto Costco.

A lot of neighborhoods around here aren't doing traditional halloween anymore. It's more like local community centers put on a small street fair.

Man, that's loving garbage.

We only get about 30-ish kids every year so I figured we could get away with it. We end up with a ton of candy leftover even telling kids to take 2-3 pieces, so I figured instead of buying 150 or whatever fun-sized we may as well upgrayde.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Quiet Feet posted:

Man, that's loving garbage.

We only get about 30-ish kids every year so I figured we could get away with it. We end up with a ton of candy leftover even telling kids to take 2-3 pieces, so I figured instead of buying 150 or whatever fun-sized we may as well upgrayde.

Count the number of kids that show up this year so you can compare to next. See if candy word of mouth exists.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have been watching Mindhunter and the pop culture fascination with serial killers has always been really weird to me and the show kind of makes me uncomfortable at points and not in the way it wants me to feel uncomfortable

Why does it make you uncomfortable? It seems natural to be interested in what makes serial killers tick.

That's my fascination with them anyways. When I watched Ed Kemper's interviews though, I realized it's probably nothing super interesting that makes them tick. They're mentally ill.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I’m poor for a dude with a masters. But not poor as relative to the average American.

Need to figure my poo poo out ASAP though. My options at this point are:

1. Move cities for a better (but not great) paying job.
2. Code boot camp and stay in my city.
3. MBA at ~T25 school and stay in my city.
4. Stay at current job and code all my free time and hope I can get a data/coding centric position in my field, in my current city.

I get paid to analyze policy and budgets for enormous organizations but I’m hecking bad at making personal life decisions.

Just make sure you pick a good program that fits you well and you'll do fine. None of the classes are terribly difficult, just a lot of work. If you're trying to change industries I'd recommend a full time program.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I live in a pretty good sweetspot of suburbia so I get tryhard parents that put way too much work into their kids costumes and a bunch of people who drive up from downtown because it's a better neighborhood to walk around, so I usually go through 3-4 bags of candy.

It was awful at my parents house though. They had bought a decrepit mansion so everyone presumed we must give out great candy and my mom would just give out tiny amounts of the shittiest candy. Sweet tarts and those tiny garbage flavor tootsie rolls

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Big Jesus posted:

Just make sure you pick a good program that fits you well and you'll do fine. None of the classes are terribly difficult, just a lot of work. If you're trying to change industries I'd recommend a full time program.

This is where I profess my complete ignorance of this..

What the hell do you even do in your typical MBA course class?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ehud posted:

Why does it make you uncomfortable? It seems natural to be interested in what makes serial killers tick.

Its more that there seems to be a dehumanizing and deliberate attempt to tittilate viewers will salacious details of murdered women that happens in a lot of serial killer fiction.

It appeals to the same instinct in people as a car crash or a freak show, a desire to get pleasure from looking at something horrible for the thrill of it while awkwardly expressing horror or disdain. Like, the show is simultaneously going "look how evil and horrible this is" while simultaneously giving the audience the trill of reveling in how terrible it is.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Kalli posted:

This is where I profess my complete ignorance of this..

What the hell do you even do in your typical MBA course class?

Sexual harassment, hold back minorities for profit, and lacrosse, I think

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Props. There's nothing more exciting on Trick or Treat than the full-size bar.

I stopped buying candy for kids -- no one bothers coming up my 1/4 mile long driveway:(

The secret is to give 1 kid a 20 dollar bill and next year you will have armies marching up there

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ehud posted:

That's my fascination with them anyways. When I watched Ed Kemper's interviews though, I realized it's probably nothing super interesting that makes them tick. They're mentally ill.

It’s not really a “pop culture” thing as it is a “natural curiosity” thing. Animals check out when other animals get hurt. We slow down for accidents on the highway just to see what happened.

We as creatures want to know the cause and effect of things that’ll kill us except we’re cognizant beings so we also have to worry about our mental state.

Edit just read Mel’s post on top. I think you’re looking for something to defend more than anything - for my own example, I truly do not like blood guts and gore. I hate it. But hearing someone speak about it almost lustfully versus my reaction interests me, because I’m so naturally curious how someone can be that way. For instance -> I didn’t know most of that poo poo about the original case, I had no clue Manson had so much poo poo in his childhood

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 18, 2017

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Learning about serial killers taught me the only difference between me and them is I have a support structure

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kicker John Kasay would give out bibles.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Amy Pole Her posted:

We as creatures want to know the cause and effect of things that’ll kill us except we’re cognizant beings so we also have to worry about our mental state.

I am not sure if I buy that the reasoning is defensive as much as it is based on a pleasure principal. We don't look at horrible things to learn how to protect ourselves, we look at horrible things because there is a lizard part in our brain that is titillated by violence.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am not sure if I buy that the reasoning is defensive as much as it is based on a pleasure principal. We don't look at horrible things to learn how to protect ourselves, we look at horrible things because there is a lizard part in our brain that is titillated by violence.

It’s supported by quite a bit of published psychology. I’ll find it when I’m more free.

As far as car crashes I agree but in terms of understand human psyches so far from our socially acceptable own? Absolutely people want to know “what in the heck *happened*?!”

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/Bill_Gross/status/920406104911233024

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

if I gave out full-sized candy bars it'd cost us a thousand dollars or something. Last year we went through over $100 of Costco bags of candy, we managed to finish the night with just a bit to spare. In previous years we've run out repeatedly, and often we've had to turn out the lights by 9pm. Our first year here we were unprepared and ran out twice, and still had to close up by 8, it was ugly.

We're in a residential development that runs between a police station and skateboard park on one end and an elementary school on the other end, and we're on kind of a circle of two streets that are the only houses, the rest are apartments. So there's tons of kids, and my wife loves halloween and always dresses up (this year she's making a moth costume) and we carve pumpkins etc. My costume is the same every year, just the typical rubber horse head, as one does. I like to answer the door wearing the horse head and holding a beer. The kids like it.

We get the small pieces of candy but usually do two or three per kid. It has to be carefully rationed though.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Hahahahahahaha

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I live in an apartment building and I don't think there has ever been trick or treat.

It's sad :smith:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Amy Pole Her posted:

As far as car crashes I agree but in terms of understand human psyches so far from our socially acceptable own? Absolutely people want to know “what in the heck *happened*?!”

Well, I don't think its an either or

We are simultaneously curious about what drives a person to horrible acts and simultaneously fascinated by the "penny dreadful" thrill of the attacks. Like, I am fascinated by spree killers and gunmen like in Vegas, because I, like most people, want to know how someone can break so fundamentally.

But at the same time, there is something unique the mystique of a serial-killer that goes beyond simple fascination with deviant psychology. We take interest not only in the individual, but in the act. Whether its in fiction like Hannibal Lector or in real life like Kemper, we seem to get a thrill from having inhuman acts of violence to people described or reenacted for us. And that unacknowledged element of it makes me uncomfortable.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

One thing that always amused me in the Guard was all the baby face fresh out of high school kids were always expecting Call of Duty high tech poo poo then they get to the unit and it's the 80s/90s in full force

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Has there ever been a goon serial killer?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
The private club I work at is throwing a family Halloween party for the members next Friday. I'm MCing the event and am really excited! My wife is coming and is dressing up as Roz from Monsters Inc. We're doing some fun crafts, dance floor for the kids, costume contest, and trick or treating throughout the building. It's going to be so much fun.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Ehud posted:

Lowtax, probably

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

To think kids will never understand

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

I kill thousands of potential babies a day

Kalli posted:

I love that right after this he hops in a limo that drives off. That means that he got out of the limo, skateboarded down the street, grabbed the disk and then got back in the limo. Instead of just pulling up in the limo and rolling down the window.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Joey Freshwater posted:

I love that right after this he hops in a limo that drives off. That means that he got out of the limo, skateboarded down the street, grabbed the disk and then got back in the limo. Instead of just pulling up in the limo and rolling down the window.

I like to imagine he made Penn Jillette drive the limo.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I just got around to doing a project for my mom, transcribing a really cramped note/account of an add on to the house he made in 1973 written in cursive by my dad that she wasn't able to read with failing eyesight. This thing was written on both sides of something maybe double the size of your average post it note and ended up being two full pages typed.

It was kind of fun actually, I felt like I was a 12th century monk or something trying to figure out terrible handwriting.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

.... does this say insulation in the stairs? dad, no.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

I like to imagine he made Penn Jillette drive the limo.

Type cookie you idiot!

Grittybeard posted:

I just got around to doing a project for my mom, transcribing a really cramped note/account of an add on to the house he made in 1973 written in cursive by my dad that she wasn't able to read with failing eyesight. This thing was written on both sides of something maybe double the size of your average post it note and ended up being two full pages typed.

It was kind of fun actually, I felt like I was a 12th century monk or something trying to figure out terrible handwriting.

I've been doing something like this with some letters my grandfather sent my grandmother during WW2. It's pretty amazing, looking at the dates and realizing he's talking about being off the coast of Japan within months of the bombings.

Here's one of them, they go on for months

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 18, 2017

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Ehud posted:

Goon mass-shooter, I think, but that might not count for your purposes.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
damnit the pizza chat made me think about roasted habaneros on a pizza and now I have to loving do it

e: On of my favorite things about Hackers was the pool on the roof trick, which of course no one would ever really fall for, and then as soon as he gets up there it starts raining implying Angelina Jolie just hacked the weather

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

philosophers will spend the rest of human history debating if hackers is a really good movie or a really bad movie

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Its allowed to be both.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Cross-posting here because holy poo poo

Waterbed Wendy posted:

The list of women that have come forward with allegations about Donald Trump sexually assaulting them:

Ninni Laaksonen, former Miss Finland. “Trump stood right next to me and suddenly he squeezed my butt” in July 2006.

Jessica Drake. Said Trump grabbed and kissed her without consent, then offered her 10K for sex in 2006.

Karena Virginia. Says she was groped by Trump at the U.S. Open in 1998.

Cathy Heller. Says Trump grabbed her and attempted to kiss her at Mar-a-lago in 1997.

Summer Zervos. Apprentice contestant says Trump started kissing her and grabbing her breasts, began "thrusting his genitals." 2007.

Kristin Anderson. Said Trump reached under her skirt and grabbed her vagina through her underwear in the early 1990s.

Jessica Leeds. Said Trump lifted up the armrest, grabbed her breasts and reached his hand up her skirt in the early 1980s.

Rachel Crooks. Says she was assaulted by Trump in an elevator in Trump Tower in 2005.

Mindy McGillivray. Says Trump groped her while she was attending a concert at Mar-a-lago in 2003.

Natasha Stoynoff. Says Trump pushed her against a wall and jammed his tongue down her throat at Mar-a-lago in 2005.

Jennifer Murphy. Apprentice contestant says Trump kissed her on the lips after a job interview in 2005.

Cassandra Searles. Says Trump grabbed her rear end and invited her to his hotel room in 2013.

Temple Taggart McDowell. Former Miss Utah says Trump kissed her directly on the lips the first time she met him in 1997.

Jill Harth. Says Trump repeatedly sexually harassed her and groped her underneath a table in 1993.

“Jane Doe” or Katie J. In June, a California woman — “Jane Doe” ― filed a lawsuit alleging that Trump raped her at a party when she was 13 years old. Video testimony from Katie J, who accuses Trump of raping her at 13. 1994
https://vimeo.com/176181706

Ivana Trump. In a 1992 deposition during their divorce, Trump’s first wife described an incident in which she says her then-husband forced her to have sex with him.

The elected President of the United States everybody!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

CRC Error
Abort, Retry or Fail?

• Locked thread