Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DLC Inc posted:

im trying to finish Nier Automata and really hoping Path C picks up. Path B's gimmick was fun for a while but going through all those areas a second time burned me out. The open world is so tedious and worthless, the idea that now I have to run around to all these areas to kill robots now makes me dread how bored it'll be.

The concepts in the game are cool but the road to this point has been mostly me hoping to just see more story stuff and less meandering around this dull lifeless world. I get it, I totally get why it's empty and lifeless, that's great thematically but from a gameplay perspective it is brain numbing.
At the very least, you're done repeating content with Route C, and for me at least the bulk of what I liked about Nier:A's story is from that portion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Route B is basically for breezing through the story because you're dumb strong now and doing the sidequests you weren't strong enough for the first time through. I don't really mind it at all.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The end of Route B is very different from A. The entirety of Route C is completely different from the rest of the game.

I only remember playing the similar open world content in B for a few hours and that was when I stumbled upon some of the best sidequests in the game storyline-wise so I don't remember it as being repetitive as others do, but YMMV

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

im trying to finish Nier Automata and really hoping Path C picks up. Path B's gimmick was fun for a while but going through all those areas a second time burned me out. The open world is so tedious and worthless, the idea that now I have to run around to all these areas to kill robots now makes me dread how bored it'll be.

The concepts in the game are cool but the road to this point has been mostly me hoping to just see more story stuff and less meandering around this dull lifeless world. I get it, I totally get why it's empty and lifeless, that's great thematically but from a gameplay perspective it is brain numbing.

Yes absolutely play route C. Route B is there for a different perspective on route A and unlocking all those locked chests you find. There is a chapter select after you get one of the penultimate endings, so don't worry about missing stuff by just powering through. I agree that 9S is not all that fun to play though, even if he is the best at killing things.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Cowcaster posted:

i ended burning out and uninstalling about halfway through path b for pretty much exactly the same reason. everyone talks up how there's a huge gamechanging twist that happens at the end of path c, maybe knowing about that will be enough incentive for you to see it through?

It's not so much a game changing twist at the end as it is Path C is where the real game actually starts. Wow, did you make a bad decision.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

some guy on the bus posted:

It's not so much a game changing twist at the end as it is Path C is where the real game actually starts. Wow, did you make a bad decision.

i googled the plot summary afterwards and i feel ok with my decision

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's just Skylanders and Amiibos now, right?

https://twitter.com/GIBiz/status/920681722093617152

And I guess whatever the one space game was where you clip a spaceship to your controller that's coming out.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

tbh I didn't think route c was that great, in terms of what you do in it. felt scraped together with not a lot of money, which makes sense of course.

So it bothers me when people say it's where the game starts. I'd feel sorry for anyone who didn't like A and B but pushed through it just to see C.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 18, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Phantasium posted:

And I guess whatever the one space game was where you clip a spaceship to your controller that's coming out.

Is it even still skylanders? There's no game this year and I don't think the last one made much of a splash.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I liked Path A but mainly was put off by being midway in Path B and thinking "ok hacking was cool for a bit and now I want to move on" along with some of the fights being slogs since I seemed to be underleveled or something.

I'll push onward with Route C though if more happens

oddium posted:

ending b has a boring first half and then a whaaaat ending, ending c is bonkers

Yeah the reveal at the end of B was so cruel I had to laugh. I was finding a lot of hidden files about "Gestalt" too which makes me want to see what else happens that could connect further into the first Nier.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3gL6NveROg

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i finished ADAM WOLFE (tm). what the gently caress at the non ending. was the ending the hidden object all along...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

The uncancellable animations and occasional nearly unavoidable deaths in MHGen are real fun. 👍🏽

Aren't locked-in animations kind of the Monster Hunter thing? I haven't played much MH but I thought that was kind of the whole deal with its combat system.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There aren't any unavoidable deaths in Monster Hunter

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm sure there are people out there who never get knocked down by a lagniappe and then murdered before the stand up animation ends but im just not one of them.

Harrow posted:

Aren't locked-in animations kind of the Monster Hunter thing? I haven't played much MH but I thought that was kind of the whole deal with its combat system.

gently caress if I know, MHG is the first MH game I've played. Sorry if saying a thing the series is known for happens to be unfun because it wrests control from the player is somehow a contentious statement.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My persona opinion is that the series is better suited for handhelds. I wish P5 was on vita.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Phantasium posted:

I'd be surprised if another Skylanders game ever came out. Amiibo aren't going anywhere because the toys sell on their own merits and don't need software attached. Toys2Life is dead.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

gently caress if I know, MHG is the first MH game I've played. Sorry if saying a thing the series is known for happens to be unfun because it wrests control from the player is somehow a contentious statement.

Playing out the action you input into the controller is in fact the exact opposite of wresting control away from the player?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Saint Freak posted:

Playing out the action you input into the controller is in fact the exact opposite of wresting control away from the player?

A long and tedious recovery animation that is almost exactly like the multiple types of stun and paralysis statuses in the game is not exactly control.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

mutata posted:

I'd be surprised if another Skylanders game ever came out.

It's not like they would just kill off the IP totally though I'd think. They still had Netflix go ahead and finish producing a second season of the TV show.

Maybe it stays in Mobile Hell for the the future but I'd think just killing off an entire universe like that which actually made them money would be...silly.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I've been thinking about the former Visceral dude saying Dead Space 2 underperformed, and a chunk of the sales of the game were after it was discounted.

It's no secret that people who play games have a very 'I'll just wait for a sale' attitude, and how often that fucks with publishers expectations that first week of sales, and how multiplayer games can make up the difference in microtransactions.

I guess what I'm saying is if a single player game comes out you want to play, buy it full price or don't bitch when all we have is loot boxed 'games as a service'. I mean it looks like the damage has already been done but still.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

A long and tedious recovery animation that is almost exactly like the multiple types of stun and paralysis statuses in the game is not exactly control.

that's just how MH games are, they're like dark souls where everything is animation locked. if you don't like it you don't like it, don't force yourself to keep slogging away at it, it will never be different

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It's not like they would just kill off the IP totally though I'd think. They still had Netflix go ahead and finish producing a second season of the TV show.

Maybe it stays in Mobile Hell for the the future but I'd think just killing off an entire universe like that which actually made them money would be...silly.

No, of course the IP will live on in some form, but as a fully featured toys2life franchise I'd bet good money that we don't see another one.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

that's just how MH games are, they're like dark souls where everything is animation locked. if you don't like it you don't like it, don't force yourself to keep slogging away at it, it will never be different

I like everything else though. :saddowns: Murdering huge monsters and roasting their meat owns. This one particular element is just frustrating!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I was interested in automata after the first game and the demo, but everything I keep hearing about it makes me think I made the right choice in holding off for a bit.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Motto posted:

I was interested in automata after the first game and the demo, but everything I keep hearing about it makes me think I made the right choice in holding off for a bit.

it's an extremely good game it's just not really a genre of game i like

for me it'd be perfect if it were more platinum game and less, well, nier automata

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Motto posted:

idk for everyone i see on the internet complain about it i know a few people who loved it without reservations, including both of my brothers. only reason i haven't played it yet is cause my pc is bad

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I had a great time with Automata. The gameplay and writing were bother better than P5 in my opinion. But the more I think about the latter game, the worse my opinion becomes. I haven't played any other games in a while that undercut their own themes quite as much.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I've been thinking about the former Visceral dude saying Dead Space 2 underperformed, and a chunk of the sales of the game were after it was discounted.

It's no secret that people who play games have a very 'I'll just wait for a sale' attitude, and how often that fucks with publishers expectations that first week of sales, and how multiplayer games can make up the difference in microtransactions.

I guess what I'm saying is if a single player game comes out you want to play, buy it full price or don't bitch when all we have is loot boxed 'games as a service'. I mean it looks like the damage has already been done but still.

This kinda goes into what the Lego Dimensions Eurogamer piece that the .biz story links to talks about as well.

It was good for consumers (us) when packs were discounted to such a degree you could get what was previously a thirty-dollar level pack for nine during a sale, but the companies seemingly see nothing from these sales due to how many they produced/how expensive it can be to produce a physical product in bulk in the first place.

Mutata's already hinted in the Ask a Dev thread and other places the unsold stock of Infinity figures Disney had to write off. I don't even think Disney destroyed or buried them like ET cartridges. There's just tens of thousands (?) of Yondu figures festering in numerous cargo containers at some port somewhere in the world.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Motto posted:

I mean if you liked the first game then you have at least some tolerance for a bit of tedium of which there is far less of in automata.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

A. Beaverhausen posted:

"loot boxes are your fault as consumers for not throwing away your money senselessly at triple-a budgeted recycled mush" is not really a stance i can get behind

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I had a great time with Automata. The gameplay and writing were bother better than P5 in my opinion. But the more I think about the latter game, the worse my opinion becomes. I haven't played any other games in a while that undercut their own themes quite as much.

tbh undercutting its own themes isn't even a problem exclusive to persona 5, people praise persona 4 a lot but there's a lot of weird stuff in that game that doesn't fit with its whole thing about how everyone has hidden depths to who they are and it has a lot of the same issue of momentum starting and ending with individual dungeons, instead of granting characters proper arcs in the main story. i think the people writing modern persona just have an issue with starting off with interesting ideas and then tying too much of the writing to social links, on top of forgetting about their message when it doesn't seem as important. it sucks cause there's a lot i like about persona but there's a lot of stuff that also rubs me the wrong way

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cowcaster posted:

"loot boxes are your fault as consumers for not throwing away your money senselessly at triple-a budgeted recycled mush" is not really a stance i can get behind

Dead Space 2 wasn't AAA recycled mush, but people loooove to pinch a goddamn penny. What's your alternative, because suits will never give a poo poo about anything but week 1 sales, so you either buy full price to show support or save that extra $10 and kill single player games.

V YOUR MOM HATES DEAD SPACE

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

If only EA didn't need to spend 100 million dollars just on marketing for every game they release

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Using a menu in Persona 5 :discourse:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Dead Space 2 wasn't AAA recycled mush, but people loooove to pinch a goddamn penny. What's your alternative, because suits will never give a poo poo about anything but week 1 sales, so you either buy full price to show support or save that extra $10 and kill single player games.

oh when you put it that way here giant corporations take my money i didn't realize you had it so hard

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It's OK if the AAA singleplayer genre dies IMO, there are loads of interesting indie singleplayer games and I hope more developers see what Ninja Theory did with Hellblade and follow suit. I don't feel like it's on me to change my buying habits because stockholders are panicky, greedy morons.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cowcaster posted:

oh when you put it that way here giant corporations take my money i didn't realize you had it so hard

Yes that's exactly my point

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

These discussions are always weird to me since I've never seen anyone rail on the idea of sales, used media, etc like gaming companies and even some of their consumers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

V YOUR MOM HATES DEAD SPACE

Oh no not EA/Ubisoft/Bethesda first party releases! Those are always such amazing games that are great!

• Locked thread