Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Bob Morales posted:

I can see Almond Joy being unpopular, everyone seems to hate coconut.

Maybe they don't feel like a nut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the issue with reese's cups is volume, you don't get enough bites out of them so it feels like you got ripped off.

There's also the issue where the bottom of the cup always separates when you pull them from their little muffin cup. They really need to get the scientists to solve that one.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

xzzy posted:

There's also the issue where the bottom of the cup always separates when you pull them from their little muffin cup. They really need to get the scientists to solve that one.

That's one of the reasons you freeze them.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Fool posted:

That's one of the reasons you freeze them.

Actually, both of those are reasons you freeze them, freezing makes them last longer since it's harder to stuff the whole thing in your mouth.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MF_James posted:

No freezer to freeze them? If you haven't frozen reese's you are the monster.

I am a monster that puts most chocolate candy in the fridge. Fight me IRL.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sickening posted:

I am a monster that puts most chocolate candy in the fridge. Fight me IRL.

You are a half-monster then, at least you chill your tasty treats.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
You haven't lived until you've eaten frozen M&Ms

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
"You know what?" thinks Agrikk. "I have access to unlimited compute, network and storage and I have a free subscription to MSDN. My last exchange server was 2010 so how about I do a refresher and stand up an Exchange 2016 environment and build it 100% HA with full geo redundancy? This could be fun."

(Here's where Agrikk comes completely unglued.)

Motherfucking cocksucking piece of poo poo. It's been a week and I cannot get mail sent from my new domain out of spam at Yahoo, my work emailbox or Gmail. gently caress you powershell, gently caress you mailhubs, gently caress you edge transports, gently caress you SPF records, gently caress you IPv6, gently caress you IIS, gently caress you SSL, gently caress on-prem email, gently caress me.

All you people who work with Exchange on a daily basis are goddamn voodoo witchdoctors and have my utmost respect because gently caress all of this poo poo. If I was working on physical servers, I am one hundred percent sure one of them would be out on the street though a shattered office window at this point.

Why do I do this to myself?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It turns out the consultant/COO hates Trump, and didn't realize there are plenty of Trumpers here, including the CEO and his inner circle. Right now he sits far away from them, but with the changes he wants in our seating plan he's going to be right in the mix. :getin:

EDIT: ^^^^ Haha... every place I've worked since 2000 I've had to take care of on-prem Exchange, from 5.5 to 2010. Perhaps that explains a few things.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

I can see Almond Joy being unpopular, everyone seems to hate coconut.
I will eat all the Almond Joys that you weirdos shun.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

Our break room has looked like this for two weeks.

I guess we now know what the least popular candy is. And no one likes chili cheese Fritos.

The cookies stuck in the bottom crack me up too.

I'm the Snack of Damocles hanging in the lower right.

Well poo poo in my excitement to post, I missed you already called it out. :eng99:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: ^^^^ Haha... every place I've worked since 2000 I've had to take care of on-prem Exchange, from 5.5 to 2010. Perhaps that explains a few things.

The thing that pisses me off is how Exchange 2016 requires fluent PowerShell to use. So I'm basically teaching myself PowerShell as I teach myself Exchange 2016. I still scratch my head over the command-line-ification of Windows. Sure, PwoerShell is great, but for three decades we've been told to use the GUI and now that we are, "Oh hay, Linux is great! We should Linux too!"

I love PS for deployment, though. Don't get me wrong.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Agrikk posted:

The thing that pisses me off is how Exchange 2016 requires fluent PowerShell to use. So I'm basically teaching myself PowerShell as I teach myself Exchange 2016. I still scratch my head over the command-line-ification of Windows. Sure, PwoerShell is great, but for three decades we've been told to use the GUI and now that we are, "Oh hay, Linux is great! We should Linux too!"

Even 0365 needs heavy use of powershell to keep your sanity. Its useful knowledge.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm the Snack of Damocles hanging in the lower right.

Well poo poo in my excitement to post, I missed you already called it out. :eng99:

They are full on stuck, too. I gave the machine a couple hockey style shoulder checks and it didn't budge at all.

I didn't want the cookies, they're knockoff oreos, but any chance to use violence to solve a problem and I'm all in.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Agrikk posted:

Have you configured Exchange EAC yet? I'm not sure how deep into the settings it lets you go but without it, yeah you're 100% powershell.

Also, it's possible you're being spam-filtered for "newly registered domain" because your poo poo isn't established for long enough yet. Nothing you can really do about that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do mail providers still check that reverse DNS is in place?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yes.

Agrikk: Try running this against your exchange setup: https://mxtoolbox.com/diagnostic.aspx

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

any chance to use violence to solve a problem and I'm all in.

That's called Percussive Maintenance.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Agrikk posted:

Once you start creating a library of ps1 scripts for day to day tasks (createuser.ps1, deleteuser.ps1, etc.) you won't notice the missing gui. As a matter of fact since we started using 100% powershell for standard tasks i'm seeing a drastic reduction of non-compliant users or shared folders. Having a MMC gui tends to enable you to make small mistakes which may become time sinks down the line, with powershell you usually take one hour to do the first user/folder/process and then one second to do the next one in a perfectly reproducible way (until the synthax gets messed up on the next CU/SP)

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 18, 2017

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Proteus Jones posted:

That's called Percussive Maintenance.

Good ol' Emergency Repair Procedure #1

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I actually worked with a guy about 20 years ago who got really mad at a disk chassis that had a hard drive throwing errors. I don't remember why, but I do remember he took a step back, wound up, and kicked the offending drive bay as hard as he could.

The errors cleared up. :downs:

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

xzzy posted:

I actually worked with a guy about 20 years ago who got really mad at a disk chassis that had a hard drive throwing errors. I don't remember why, but I do remember he took a step back, wound up, and kicked the offending drive bay as hard as he could.

The errors cleared up. :downs:

Back when I was in college (almost 20 years ago, drat I feel old now) a buddy of mine had a hard disk drive (one of the first 13GB units if I remember right) that wouldn't spin up in his new PC no matter what he tried. In a fit of rage one night he pulled it out and chucked it into the wall across the room. It bounced off the concrete block and he just left it on the floor overnight. The next morning he picked it up, put it back in the computer, and it spun right up. He used it for several years after that too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That actually makes some sense, as disks can seize as the bearings or lubrication ages. This is where the stories of putting the hard drive in a freezer come from.

Throwing the drive across the room and letting its temperature settle overnight could very well have loosened the bearings up enough that the motor could get it spinning again.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

PremiumSupport posted:

Back when I was in college (almost 20 years ago, drat I feel old now) a buddy of mine had a hard disk drive (one of the first 13GB units if I remember right) that wouldn't spin up in his new PC no matter what he tried. In a fit of rage one night he pulled it out and chucked it into the wall across the room.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

who knew that hard disks react to being blown

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

who knew that hard disks react to being blown
No, he's yelling at them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xzzy posted:

That actually makes some sense, as disks can seize as the bearings or lubrication ages. This is where the stories of putting the hard drive in a freezer come from.

Throwing the drive across the room and letting its temperature settle overnight could very well have loosened the bearings up enough that the motor could get it spinning again.

Of course might have also just managed to actually get the cable seated right after he had his hissy fit, and the drive was just built robust enough to not get damaged.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

SlowBloke posted:

Once you start creating a library of ps1 scripts for day to day tasks (createuser.ps1, deleteuser.ps1, etc.) you won't notice the missing gui. As a matter of fact since we started using 100% powershell for standard tasks i'm seeing a drastic reduction of non-compliant users or shared folders. Having a MMC gui tends to enable you to make small mistakes which may become time sinks down the line, with powershell you usually take one hour to do the first user/folder/process and then one second to do the next one in a perfectly reproducible way (until the synthax gets messed up on the next CU/SP)
This. When I started my current job user creation was a massively manual process of create the user object in AD, add to appropriate groups, create mailbox, create home folder, etc etc etc. Babby's First Powershell was to automate all that. Now it does all the work based on the parameters it's fed and prompts for anything that's left out, and I am considered a wizard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I am the guy working around that many spinning disks without ear protection.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

is the next step slapping them around a little? :quagmire:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

is the next step slapping them around a little? :quagmire:

Yeah, I feel an intervention is warranted here. It's just going to escalate and then everyone's going to be all "Why did we ignore the warning signs"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aunt Beth posted:

This. When I started my current job user creation was a massively manual process of create the user object in AD, add to appropriate groups, create mailbox, create home folder, etc etc etc. Babby's First Powershell was to automate all that. Now it does all the work based on the parameters it's fed and prompts for anything that's left out, and I am considered a wizard.

It's really gonna blow their minds when they discover what configuration management is.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

xzzy posted:

Pure impact can also work. I've had some success with the "pick it up an inch and drop it" technique.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

It's really gonna blow their minds when they discover what configuration management is.
It's definitely a goal of mine. I'm working toward that but there is a LOT that has to be cleaned up prior.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I have revived several drives (in my personal system) using the freezer trick.
They work long enough to get any files you need off them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sickening posted:

I am the guy working around that many spinning disks without ear protection.

Just pop in some good earbuds when you go in there

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Is there a bash scripting thread somewhere? Do those sorts of questions just go in a Linux thread? I didn't see anything in Cobol either. This stupid script I'm trying to write is pissing me off and I'm running out of ideas four troubleshooting it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd drop it in the linux thread, there's some proper unix nerds in there.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Nards Pan posted:

ideas four troubleshooting it.

if thats how you spell for in a for loop, spotted your problem :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus