Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Motto posted:

I was interested in automata after the first game and the demo, but everything I keep hearing about it makes me think I made the right choice in holding off for a bit.
I guess what specifically is giving you pause? The game certainly has some flaws, like any video game really, but what people complain about and what is actually a problem worth mentioning may not be the same thing depending on the person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Every time someone mentions just how many yondu figures Disney made I cannot help but giggle a little.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yes that's exactly my point

your point doesn't make sense because if lootboxes were designed to make up for lost revenue because of thrifty consumers why the gently caress has the amount of money being made by the industry tripled since they showed up

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

"loot boxes are your fault as consumers for not throwing away your money senselessly at triple-a budgeted recycled mush" is not really a stance i can get behind

Same. I think there's more issues with the publishers' marketing and pricing models as well as the levels of expected profitability. All games can't be blockbusters. They can still be successful. Of course, when your business model relies on stock valuation continually rising at an increasing rate, you're already hosed from a sustainable business growth standpoint.

The industry set consumers' expectations with the regular and predictable deep discount sales. Most of the audience isn't super rich. Of course they'll wait for a sale they know is coming. If you're selling at a loss after training your customers to wait to buy at the discount you set, that's a strategic failure. And with the rise of digital distribution and the slow diminishment of secondhand physical media reselling, well, yeah, your consumers who tend to also be making less income are also going to wait for those sales.

The secondary benefit they receive for waiting is that they also get to play the patched version of the game rather than whatever janky poo poo was probably shoveled out at launch.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'll survive with modern aaa games diving into the trash can as long as lootboxes don't end up in my jrpgs

if they do though then i am hosed

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm always amazed that Bethesda puts out stuff like Wolfenstein, Dishonored, DOOM, Prey, Evil Within even as they sabotage their own poo poo with bad marketing and gated review embargos. It's really weird that all their studios get to make great single player poo poo despite those problems; maybe it's because the Elder Scrolls/Fallout bankroll is so huge they can afford to? Out of all the big AAA publishers, they've probably been one of the best at keeping talent and letting their developers do what they want and keeping the stupid season pass marketplace poo poo for Todd Howard's Jankworld projects.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Motto posted:

These discussions are always weird to me since I've never seen anyone rail on the idea of sales, used media, etc like gaming companies and even some of their consumers.

It's cool bc it's the complete inverse in other industries. Like the biggest of movie releases from Hollywood and China will use their theatrical run to just break even on their marketing budget so they can pay off labor costs and then the producers reap pure profits for the next half a century

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i'll survive with modern aaa games diving into the trash can as long as lootboxes don't end up in my jrpgs

if they do though then i am hosed

I think we're fine because they just make bad gacha tie in mobile games instead.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Motto posted:

I was interested in automata after the first game and the demo, but everything I keep hearing about it makes me think I made the right choice in holding off for a bit.

What have you heard about it? The near unanimous praise? Even among reviewers this time who poo poo all over the first game. Just about everyone that played through it calling it the game of the year?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium posted:

I think we're fine because they just make bad gacha tie in mobile games instead.

thank you for securing the homefront, f/go, tales of link

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

The Colonel posted:

tbh undercutting its own themes isn't even a problem exclusive to persona 5, people praise persona 4 a lot but there's a lot of weird stuff in that game that doesn't fit with its whole thing about how everyone has hidden depths to who they are and it has a lot of the same issue of momentum starting and ending with individual dungeons, instead of granting characters proper arcs in the main story. i think the people writing modern persona just have an issue with starting off with interesting ideas and then tying too much of the writing to social links, on top of forgetting about their message when it doesn't seem as important. it sucks cause there's a lot i like about persona but there's a lot of stuff that also rubs me the wrong way

I don't think P4 undermined itself to the extent that 5 did; it's not that I don't think any other games do that, just not to Five's extreme.

Also I don't think that s.links are the problem. I think the writers are, and I think they're focusing too much on titillating the audience with risqué romantic situations. Of course, that's a critical perspective. From a sales perspective, sex definitely sells.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I only consume games by not buying them and watching some dude/dudette on Twitch stream them, who in turn was given the game for free as an 'influencer' so it's the perfect system for making sure companies receive zero dollars.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Being aggressively positive about a game you love to turn people off from even approaching it ftw

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

In Training posted:

Being aggressively positive about a game you love to turn people off from even approaching it ftw

Why would you want other people sullying your precious perfect gem? It's the perfect defense

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

some guy on the bus posted:

What have you heard about it? The near unanimous praise? Even among reviewers this time who poo poo all over the first game. Just about everyone that played through it calling it the game of the year?

In Training posted:

lmao

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I don't think P4 undermined itself to the extent that 5 did; it's not that I don't think any other games do that, just not to Five's extreme.

Also I don't think that s.links are the problem. I think the writers are, and I think they're focusing too much on titillating the audience with risqué romantic situations. Of course, that's a critical perspective. From a sales perspective, sex definitely sells.

yeah social links aren't the problem it's just how they've balanced entire character arcs around them. p3p showed you can give party members social links without losing them having development in the story and i think they've weirdly just moved away from that

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I like everything else though. :saddowns: Murdering huge monsters and roasting their meat owns. This one particular element is just frustrating!

Actions that are deliberate and require commitment is a core part of MH so if you're not on board with that then yeah it's not for you. If you are looking for something with a faster pace that is generally more forgiving, try Toukiden 2 if you have a PS4 or decent PC (note it is a KT port, so a coin flip as to whether it will work for you). It does away with a lot of the side parts of MH that you might like like roasting meat, gathering potion materials, and making traps, though. Instead you just equip basically spells with similar functions.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Motto posted:

If you like Nier you can safely get Automata. It's just Nier but better on the technical side of things. The only thing I really prefer from the original are the characters but they would've been hard to top anyway.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cowcaster posted:

your point doesn't make sense because if lootboxes were designed to make up for lost revenue because of thrifty consumers why the gently caress has the amount of money being made by the industry tripled since they showed up

Gambling psychology

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

some guy on the bus posted:

well needing to play for 15 hours before you get to the "real" stuff might be offputting, especially when there's a lot of other big releases this year. I'd have finished it by now in any other year but 2017's got a backlog many miles wide. If Route B had been a little shorter and focused more on only the flashbacks and revelations it'd be perfect.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

Using a menu in Persona 5 :discourse:

yea, the menus were the best thing about persona 5

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Gambling psychology

i'm not asking why they create fat stacks, i'm asking why they were implemented as a way to make money

it seems a lot more likely the answer might be "corporations are loving greedy" and not "consumers are too cheap"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

an actual dog posted:

yea, the menus were the best thing about persona 5

lol ouch

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

that's actually not an insult, the menus are insanely good

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Hey maybe if you're setting a target of 5 million sales for a loving Dead Space game the problem isn't with the consumer.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the music was the best thing about p5, then makoto in general, then uh all the other stuff

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Dr Cheeto posted:

Hey maybe if you're setting a target of 5 million sales for a loving Dead Space game the problem isn't with the consumer.

[ea market research guy with groucho marx glasses] agreed fellow gamer, but please, go on

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The problem is not raw revenue but "realizing shareholder value" and the actual solution is put the loving C-Suite against the wall and decimate them because those fuckers are deadweight vampires and a single one of their salaries and stock options would pay for a whole dev team

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

In Training posted:

I am just curious what someone could have heard negative about it. No aggressiveness intended. If he said he didn't want to play it because it looks like poo poo or something, then ok, but I'm surprised at hearing that he heard bad things. I'm not seeing that anywhere.

DLC Inc posted:

well needing to play for 15 hours before you get to the "real" stuff might be offputting, especially when there's a lot of other big releases this year.

But I'm not seeing anyone say that Route A was bad. It's perfectly fine. Route C just takes it to another level.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 18, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hi everyone, it's me, the sick one. i'm gonna ramble a lot here and say you have no moral imperative to support developers or publishers under capitalism. AAA jobs are salaried positions, and things like loot crates are specifically for publishers to make money and not the devs

if you tie morality to capitalism then everything that is not at the beck and call of the producer is considered Bad. if you dont buy at launch, you're Hurting Games. if you buy on sale, you're Hurting Games. if you get it in a bundle, you're Hurting Games. if you don't buy season passes, you're Hurting Games.

here's one, what if you don't buy a game because you can't afford it?? maybe you're low income. that would make you gaming's worst monster, a traitor to gamers and developers countrywide. did you buy a valley without wind 2?? how about the 30 games that came out on steam in the last 5 minutes?? this sounds like a ridiculous strawman, but I used to see it in the professional animation community a decade ago. "if you don't see Everybody's Hero, the movie about a talking CGI baseball bat, you're hurting Animation!!" (no joke that is LITERALLY a discussion that happened between animators)

Gaming is an especially dumb idiot world because the things that make the free market the free market get demonized by random nerds going to bat for their favorite publishers, who come up with a new boogeyman every year to rail against (like used games a couple years ago)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

oddium posted:

the music was the best thing about p5, then makoto in general, then uh all the other stuff

makoto is the best

Dr Cheeto posted:

This x10000000. Remember when Capcom shelved a bunch of franchises because they suddenly decided that they only wanted to publish games that would make CoD money, as if they'd ever been successful at that in the past?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Remember when Square was really disappointed that the Tomb Raider reboot had only sold like 2 million in it's first month?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

even me who didn't like it has pretty much heard nothing but praise for it too which all seems well deserved. the few recurring complaints i've heard are usually along the lines of "the combat is shallow/repetitive" and "the tutorial boss killed me now i need to redo the tutorial"

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

glam rock hamhock posted:

Remember when Square was really disappointed that the Tomb Raider reboot had only sold like 2 million in it's first month?

Resident Evil 7 had 'disappointing' figures too.

I wasn't really using a moral argument, there is no moral consumption under capitalism. I'm just saying the suits with the purse strings only watch one short amount of time. If you care about seeing more games of that kind, buy in that period. I'm not saying it's a good thing or right, just reality.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 18, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"singleplayer gaming is dying" sounds like the new "nintendo is doomed" EA has always sucked and this year they sucked more than usual with putting two dev studios on the chopping block. It's really their own fault for making a really bad ME game.

Were there this many complaints about lootboxes when GOTY Overwatch was doing it? Those boxes I'd argue are an even worse value than anything in Middle-earth. poo poo, at least orcs help you play the game. Overwatch boxes give you heaps of worthless stickers and voicelines. I can't help but think Overwatch's lootboxes are definitely among the worst but we'll handwave that away because anime tits and butts

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Resident Evil 7 had 'disappointing' figures too.

given how RE7 is in like the top 10 best selling games of the year at around 9 or 10 this still baffles the gently caress out of me. It's Capcom though, so people were right to be cautious.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well at least with Capcom we have the reassurance that they are terrible at making multiplayer games so there's only so far they can get away from single-player stuff

DLC Inc posted:

Were there this many complaints about lootboxes when GOTY Overwatch was doing it? Those boxes I'd argue are an even worse value than anything in Middle-earth. poo poo, at least orcs help you play the game. Overwatch boxes give you heaps of worthless stickers and voicelines. I can't help but think Overwatch's lootboxes are definitely among the worst but we'll handwave that away because anime tits and butts

The argument against lootboxes usually includes this aspect, except it's usually the exact reverse of your position.

To wit, lootboxes that include any gameplay-modifying aspect carry the suspicion that the game will be designed or tuned to make getting lootboxes desirable or necessary to play the game at an acceptable level of fun or make an acceptable level of progress. Purely cosmetic lootboxes can be ignored if all you want to do is just play the game and they will not affect you.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 18, 2017

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
My only complaint about Automata is that it fails as a Platinum brawler, but it's not a big knock against it because that's not what the game is supposed to be.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

"singleplayer gaming is dying" sounds like the new "nintendo is doomed" EA has always sucked and this year they sucked more than usual with putting two dev studios on the chopping block. It's really their own fault for making a really bad ME game.

I think people hand wave them way because they have useless crap in them. If you make the stuff in them useful then you're making it so the game is worse without them while with something like Overwatch you never need to buy a lootbox unless you are an idiot like me who NEEDS to get that Cthulhu skin or whatever.

And yes, people complain endlessly about Overwatch lootboxes, where the gently caress have you been?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

tap my mountain posted:

My only complaint about Automata is that it fails as a Platinum brawler, but it's not a big knock against it because that's not what the game is supposed to be.

It shows flexibility being able to make a game that's very accessible and more in the RPG end of the action RPG for the company. They do have those Platinum brawler abilities in there but they feel more like window dressing for the fans of the company

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DLC Inc posted:

there’s a lot to unpack here but the bullet points are a) overwatch is an entirely multiplayer game, 2) the loot boxes are 100% cosmetic items, and iii) you generate lots of free lootboxes without paying cash dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nothing ever dies, every year there are new financial projections and executives read Trend Magazines that predict what demographics like Millenials will be into in the coming years. right now it's games as a service and next year it'll be first person shooters and in 2019 it'll be, i dunno, every game is Katamari Demacy

• Locked thread