Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wonder what they do with the scene where Ivan tells all the schoolkids to be sure to show off their sponsors' logos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
it would have been funny if they just blurred them like they do in footage of people with logos on their clothes

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

I wonder what they do with the scene where Ivan tells all the schoolkids to be sure to show off their sponsors' logos

the subs still reference having logos so I'm sure it's completely, bafflingly untouched

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
lady neet mmo show is good

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

dogsicle posted:

the subs still reference having logos so I'm sure it's completely, bafflingly untouched

Reminds me of an absurdly silly Nelvana edit (admittedly only one out of an entire sea of bad Nelvana edits) around the turn of the century. Seriously, if you're going to keep visually, or in the dialogue, referencing something that you've erased, you kind of need to put something back too.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i see altair isnt the only show with extremely powerful bird magics

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Excuse me I want to engage with my BRANDS

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Darth Walrus posted:

I like that Sword's dumb 'thank you for your boobs' thing seems to be an in-joke with women he knows well enough to believe they'll find it funny. Guy's a lot classier and more tactful with unfamiliar women than most anime womanisers.

Given that it was created from a black guy, the Horror design this time around could have looked a little less like a demonic gollywog, but it wasn't a huge deal, just an unfortunate coincidence.

C'mon dude, all horrors look like demented monstrosities, there would have been nothing that could have not been misconstrued. The horror this time looked like something that ran ridiculously fast, the victim/horror of the week was characterized well pre-horrorification, there were no stereotypical cultural touch-stones that could have been exploited to induce irrational fright in the audience.

The creators acted in good faith. They could have been lazy and exploitative, they were not.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Excuse me I want to engage with my BRANDS
im not sure what you're making fun of here, the corporate sponsors are a literal plotpoint in tiger and bunny with narrative and thematic weight. one of the villains makes fun of them for just being walking billboards instead of real heroes, tiger tries to do whats best for the people around him instead of listening to his corporate overlords, rose has to do a dumb catchphrase and pose before she can actually save the day because it's on-brand. airbrushing out the corporate logos weakens the show's plotting and theming significantly, since it's entirely about the burdens and expectations of reality versus the desire to help other people. It'd be one thing if they replaced them with made-up brands, but just airbrushing them out hurts the show a lot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

C'mon dude, all horrors look like demented monstrosities, there would have been nothing that could have not been misconstrued. The horror this time looked like something that ran ridiculously fast, the victim/horror of the week was characterized well pre-horrorification, there were no stereotypical cultural touch-stones that could have been exploited to induce irrational fright in the audience.

The creators acted in good faith. They could have been lazy and exploitative, they were not.

I don’t think the pitch-black skin and bright red lips were mandatory, though. That was the slightly unfortunate bit.

I mean, it’s not like Horrors even have to have faces, let alone ones with those particular connotations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
except the horror doesnt have pitch black skin nor bright red lips

and he has giant bird legs and tiny trex arms and a happy grin

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Something just doesn't make sense about the Netflix Tiger&Bunny thing.

If the corporate sponsors paid for the spots, and Netflix edited them out, shouldn't they be pissed?

Or, if Netflix was allowed to edit them out, how the gently caress did they not jump on the opportunity to replace them? Like cut a deal to slap some Mickey D's arches on that poo poo instead of Softbank, and other more "target demographic relevant" sponsors?

Something just doesn't add up here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't anyone is gonna pay to sponsor an anime from years ago which wasn't particularly successful in the us.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't anyone is gonna pay to sponsor an anime from years ago which wasn't particularly successful in the us.

The logos aren't scrubbed on any of the other services T&B is on, so it was clearly Netflix's decision

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

AnacondaHL posted:

Something just doesn't make sense about the Netflix Tiger&Bunny thing.

If the corporate sponsors paid for the spots, and Netflix edited them out, shouldn't they be pissed?

Or, if Netflix was allowed to edit them out, how the gently caress did they not jump on the opportunity to replace them? Like cut a deal to slap some Mickey D's arches on that poo poo instead of Softbank, and other more "target demographic relevant" sponsors?

Something just doesn't add up here.

I think the problem is that they paid for the spots for the Japanese broadcast, not any theoretical western broadcast, which would make displaying the company logos there illegal, as they didn't technically have permission to do so (not quite sure on the specifics of how that works, though).

They also probably thought it was too much work for too little payoff to find replacements, negotiate a deal, and then edit the footage to change the logos for a show that's probably not going to get all that many views.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

except the horror doesnt have pitch black skin nor bright red lips

and he has giant bird legs and tiny trex arms and a happy grin

OK, I got the exact shade of the lips wrong, but here he is:

Big, pale lips, bulging eyes, black skin. Little unnecessarily suggestive when they could have gone for, say, an armoured beak to go with the avian theme.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 18, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

There's billions of possible reasons why Netflix scrubbed Tiger and Bunny, it's possible that the agreements had just expired, it's a six year old show.

Do they even make Pepsi NEX anymore?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Whether or not there's a reason isn't really the issue, it just sucks because brands and branding is a large part of the plot and setting and it's specifically mentioned in the story itself.

"Make sure they can see the logo!"
*camera zooms in on a blank white space*

"I hate these so called heroes and their head to toe branding" ~no logos of any type to be seen~

It makes it into nonsense and it's a shame.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Netflix anime sucks rear end and always will.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Does Violet Evergarden count?

I hope it doesn't count.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Netflix anime sucks rear end and always will.

Their 2018 lineup is gonna be epic and I shan't hear otherwise

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Srice just locked himself into saying Fate/Apocrypha is good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I guess I gotta live with my mistake forever now.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Devilman Crybaby is gonna own, extremely looking forward to pirating it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I mean the way they handle it rather than the shows themselves, apologies.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I forgive you, for now.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

an actual dog posted:

Devilman Crybaby is gonna own, extremely looking forward to pirating it.
Same but just the first half

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am excited for Darling in the Franxx, and not just because the title is very fun to say

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Srice posted:

Their 2018 lineup is gonna be epic and I shan't hear otherwise

Yeah those 2017 shows will be pretty good

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

a kitten posted:

But also: yahoo is still a thing?

Chiebukuro is Yahoo!Answers but good and not completely useless

AnoHito posted:

I think the problem is that they paid for the spots for the Japanese broadcast, not any theoretical western broadcast, which would make displaying the company logos there illegal, as they didn't technically have permission to do so (not quite sure on the specifics of how that works, though).

They also probably thought it was too much work for too little payoff to find replacements, negotiate a deal, and then edit the footage to change the logos for a show that's probably not going to get all that many views.

I wish they'd then just highlight some of their series then. Blue Rose sponsored by Kimmy Schmidt, Tiger sponsored by Bojack Horseman, Blazing Symbol sponsored by Sense8(though I guess that could be for Rock Bison. Since it got canceled)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Please don't pack too tempting things in your lunch.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Yes pls

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The second BBB episode was insanely good.

:stare:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The recipes in the drunk wife show are kinda uninspiring.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Most alcoholic drinks are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Most alcoholic drinks are.

This week's episode wasn't alcoholic, it was just mixing together whatever fruit juices you have in the refrigerator.

• Locked thread