Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

Were there this many complaints about lootboxes when GOTY Overwatch was doing it? Those boxes I'd argue are an even worse value than anything in Middle-earth. poo poo, at least orcs help you play the game. Overwatch boxes give you heaps of worthless stickers and voicelines. I can't help but think Overwatch's lootboxes are definitely among the worst but we'll handwave that away because anime tits and butts

Some, yes, but at least whenever I brought it up people acted like I was being unreasonable. Overwatch's loot boxes suck all the fun out of ranking up for me while simultaneously ensuring that, because I know I'll rarely get something I actually want out of a loot box, I'm never going to spend money on them.

Meanwhile, if loot boxes were only on rank-up and not something you bought, and if they could never give you duplicates, and then you could pay real money to just buy a skin you want or even just buy currency, I don't think I'd have any problem with that. I might even drop some cash to pick up a cool Zenyatta skin or something. Some people would probably think it was even worse, I dunno. I guess we all have monetization methods that we like more than others. As it is, though, they're balanced around the idea that the only way you have any real chance of getting something you actually want is if you have a lot of loot boxes, and that means buying in bulk. It sucks.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

gently caress if I know, MHG is the first MH game I've played. Sorry if saying a thing the series is known for happens to be unfun because it wrests control from the player is somehow a contentious statement.

I didn't mean that you shouldn't say it's not fun or anything, just that if it's basically the whole MH thing, it's probably not going to get any better for you. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Quest For Glory II posted:

and in 2019 it'll be, i dunno, every game is Katamari Demacy

We should only be so lucky

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think people hand wave them way because they have useless crap in them. If you make the stuff in them useful then you're making it so the game is worse without them while with something like Overwatch you never need to buy a lootbox unless you are an idiot like me who NEEDS to get that Cthulhu skin or whatever.

And yes, people complain endlessly about Overwatch lootboxes, where the gently caress have you been?

I only just played it again in months so I haven't been on the up and up about them, I thought they had more stuff in them but I guess not!

As far as I know you don't need anything in Shadow of War so far to accomplish what you need to do. It seems to just be a lazy way out if you don't have the time to do certain objective for another hour or so and want to raid a fort NOW. There were some other games like this i.e. "im lazy please do this quick" and I think MGSV did it too but I'm not 100% certain which ones.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

important overwatch fact to consider: overwatch freakjng sucks my dang bean

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

chumbler posted:

Actions that are deliberate and require commitment is a core part of MH so if you're not on board with that then yeah it's not for you. If you are looking for something with a faster pace that is generally more forgiving, try Toukiden 2 if you have a PS4 or decent PC (note it is a KT port, so a coin flip as to whether it will work for you). It does away with a lot of the side parts of MH that you might like like roasting meat, gathering potion materials, and making traps, though. Instead you just equip basically spells with similar functions.

I started writing a care post about being told that a game I've enjoyed for dozens of hours is not for me because I think this element is flawed, but gently caress it. That way lies madness. Imagine some sort of crayon and blood screed barfed up on a blackboard, Glenn Beck style, but it ends with Full Communism Now in neon lights.

The Colonel posted:

yeah social links aren't the problem it's just how they've balanced entire character arcs around them. p3p showed you can give party members social links without losing them having development in the story and i think they've weirdly just moved away from that

I really don't know how the writing team handles collaborating, but their method may be the problem when it comes to uneven development and sloppy characterization. Plus there's that whole issue with the idea of men and women not being able to be friends.

The awful pacing is also entirely preventable imo. The calendar controls how much leeway players have between the major plot beats. The interminable dungeons and increasingly dull and less complex fights detract from the drama of the plot. By the time you get to the end, the fights grow simple because most trash enemies have no weaknesses, so where are tactics supposed to come in outside of boss gimmicks? The first Palace is pretty neat, but after that, the unique features and interactability decline even as the dungeons themselves grow longer. Then there's the subway delve, which is mostly a dull rip of Tartarus, complete with a boring rear end Reaper.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think generally speaking, more people have a problem with lootboxes when there's a direct correlation to power gained, even if that power is ultimately minor or unnecessary, because it has the stigma of pay-to-win. Which the new Battlefront will have btw!!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

EA has already been doing this lootbox monetization poo poo for almost a decade with their sports games. It involved tons of money to the point that hackers targeted people specifically to buy these packs/boxes and they were absolutely necessary to play the most popular game mode in their respective games.

But since they were sports games, I suppose the "core gamers" weren't really paying attention

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Really at this point I'm not sure what I want less, for us to have the argument about loot boxes again or for people to keep talking about why they think Persona 5 sucks.

So I'll just ask, has anyone played the new Gran Turismo? I heard it's always online or some bullshit but outside of that is it any good or is it just a continued decline for a once untouchable series?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

I didn't mean that you shouldn't say it's not fun or anything, just that if it's basically the whole MH thing, it's probably not going to get any better for you. :smith:

We're good. :respek:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Really at this point I'm not sure what I want less, for us to have the argument about loot boxes again or for people to keep talking about why they think Persona 5 sucks.

What about talking about witcher 3 again

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Plus there's that whole issue with the idea of men and women not being able to be friends.

In Persona 5, you definitely can, though. I do remember the director's weird comment about that, but it doesn't bear out in P5 at least.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

The awful pacing is also entirely preventable imo. The calendar controls how much leeway players have between the major plot beats. The interminable dungeons and increasingly dull and less complex fights detract from the drama of the plot. By the time you get to the end, the fights grow simple because most trash enemies have no weaknesses, so where are tactics supposed to come in outside of boss gimmicks? The first Palace is pretty neat, but after that, the unique features and interactability decline even as the dungeons themselves grow longer. Then there's the subway delve, which is mostly a dull rip of Tartarus, complete with a boring rear end Reaper.

I agree with pretty much everything here except for the dungeons being interminable. I generally liked the dungeons, with maybe one exception (the bank dragged on for ages). But you're right that the first dungeon is easily the best-designed one, and that towards the end the battles get really simplistic: either you steamroll the enemies because you fused crazy good personas, or you tediously chip away at them because many of them don't have weaknesses. That's not a great dynamic and I think it's something the late-game portions of P3, 4, and 5 all struggle with.

I hope the next Persona game expands on the Baton Pass system, personally. Building the whole combat system around the idea that you need to exploit certain scenarios to pass turns around the party would be really cool, especially if it also factored into boss fights.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So I'll just ask, has anyone played the new Gran Turismo? I heard it's always online or some bullshit but outside of that is it any good or is it just a continued decline for a once untouchable series?

Sony is selling a $46,000 Limited Edition Bundle for the game. At least it doesn't have lootboxes like its competitor Forza Horizon 7

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Also you can't really "vote with your wallet" or whatever when it comes to lootboxes. They aren't designed for you. They're happy to get your money if you decide to spend a few dollars, sure, but they're primarily aimed at people with gambling addictions and whales who will spend thousands and thousands of dollars on them.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

What about talking about witcher 3 again

That's fine Fire Emblem Warriors is coming out this week? That sure snuck up on me. I'm still not sure if I'm gonna get it that soon because I don't really care much about FE and the cast looks kind of annoyingly samey for a game series where they could have pulled so many different style from, but I'll probably get it eventually (though it's not like I can wait for a price drop)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

my favorite Deluxe Super Edition of a game was Dishonored 2, which came with banners from the antagonist, a steel ring with the Kaldwin insignia, steelbook case, and a replica of Corvo's mask.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Having cats is a good preventative measure against ever getting suckered into buying super deluxe collector's editions because I know they would shred anything of worth in seconds and then take a nap in the box.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the dead island ~bust~

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I probably would have bought a Persona 5 bundle with the soundtrack and artbook. I'm already thinking of getting those things separately

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Uncharted 2 came with Nates necklace w ring is my favorite, that or Dr Youngs journal from the arkham asylum set. Now the one I wish I could have gotten was the Dragon Age Inquisition tarot deck.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

In Persona 5, you definitely can, though. I do remember the director's weird comment about that, but it doesn't bear out in P5 at least.

I agree with pretty much everything here except for the dungeons being interminable. I generally liked the dungeons, with maybe one exception (the bank dragged on for ages). But you're right that the first dungeon is easily the best-designed one, and that towards the end the battles get really simplistic: either you steamroll the enemies because you fused crazy good personas, or you tediously chip away at them because many of them don't have weaknesses. That's not a great dynamic and I think it's something the late-game portions of P3, 4, and 5 all struggle with.

I hope the next Persona game expands on the Baton Pass system, personally. Building the whole combat system around the idea that you need to exploit certain scenarios to pass turns around the party would be really cool, especially if it also factored into boss fights.

I'm phone posting from some sort of office purgatory right now so bear with my bad organization (or don't it's cool)

Basically all of the girls are romantic options and no guys are. There's still no choice of protagonist gender in the release version. Then there are the weird sexual situations with the female partly members and s.links. Kawakami and Ann's treatments by the protagonist and party members in light of the first antagonist and dungeon is profoundly bad and creepy, especially since those treatments are unoriginal, played for laughs, and pretty clearly meant to titillate a male audience. At least that's how I see it. So to me, that idea is strongly represented throughout the game.

What really makes me uncomfortable is that there's something about the tone in those scenes and in the game overall that makes me think the intended audience are older than the party members, so the sexual exploitation and abuse of minor high schoolers by adults in positions of authority is being played off for the enjoyment of adults. The veneer of one exploiter's punishment provides plausible deniability to the audience that they're not enjoying the sexual harassment and assault of kids, they're just vicariously living out the fantasy of hot for teacher and the near blackmail of a hot blond schoolgirl by someone we're supposed to sympathize with.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The "It's just cosmetic" argument needs to be taken out behind the woodshed and shot.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I'm phone posting from some sort of office purgatory right now so bear with my bad organization (or don't it's cool)

Basically all of the girls are romantic options and no guys are. There's still no choice of protagonist gender in the release version. Then there are the weird sexual situations with the female partly members and s.links. Kawakami and Ann's treatments by the protagonist and party members in light of the first antagonist and dungeon is profoundly bad and creepy, especially since those treatments are unoriginal, played for laughs, and pretty clearly meant to titillate a male audience. At least that's how I see it. So to me, that idea is strongly represented throughout the game.

What really makes me uncomfortable is that there's something about the tone in those scenes and in the game overall that makes me think the intended audience are older than the party members, so the sexual exploitation and abuse of minor high schoolers by adults in positions of authority is being played off for the enjoyment of adults. The veneer of one exploiter's punishment provides plausible deniability to the audience that they're not enjoying the sexual harassment and assault of kids, they're just vicariously living out the fantasy of hot for teacher and the near blackmail of a hot blond schoolgirl by someone we're supposed to sympathize with.

That does sound pretty creepy. All I knew was after how weird they treated homosexuality in P4
and then no signs it had gotten better in P5 I'm glad I skipped it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Ah yeah, okay. I can totally understand that criticism.

Especially when there are at least a couple of guys in Persona 5 you should absolutely be able to date :colbert:

I really liked Kawakami's social link in general, but it's just because of how sympathetic of a character I found Kawakami to be. But there's easily a version of that social link where you can't date her, and without the weird sexual angle, that still has the same sympathetic story to tell.

chumbler posted:

The "It's just cosmetic" argument needs to be taken out behind the woodshed and shot.

:agreed:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
:siren: :siren: GOTY Mario Odyssey comes out in 9 days hold on to ur butts :siren: :siren:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

That does sound pretty creepy. All I knew was after how weird they treated homosexuality in P4
and then no signs it had gotten better in P5 I'm glad I skipped it.

P5 is much better about it than P4, but still not great by any means.

Persona 4 makes me extra sad because of how great Kanji's development could have been if it was a story about the nature of masculinity instead of being "lol is he gay????? ewww" stuff. Even if he isn't actually gay, he overcompensates with this aggressively "masculine" attitude and appearance to cover up the aspects of himself that he's been conditioned to think aren't manly. That's a pretty cool character arc to explore and Persona 4 kinda just buried it in gay jokes.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I love P5 but the Yusuke sequence of blackmail is insanely bad and could never understand how the others accepted him as a friend later on.

What's more hosed is that even in light of this, I still prefer the cast of P5 leaps and bounds over P4. I only remember Chie and nobody else since "I loving love steak" is 50% of everyone's personality.

Harrow posted:

P5 is much better about it than P4, but still not great by any means.

Persona 4 makes me extra sad because of how great Kanji's development could have been if it was a story about the nature of masculinity instead of being "lol is he gay????? ewww" stuff. Even if he isn't actually gay, he overcompensates with this aggressively "masculine" attitude and appearance to cover up the aspects of himself that he's been conditioned to think aren't manly. That's a pretty cool character arc to explore and Persona 4 kinda just buried it in gay jokes.

I feel like so many weak points in persona games are ingrained in Japanese game writing or culture, so nothing in P5 surprised me in terms of how people treat each other.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

Ah yeah, okay. I can totally understand that criticism.

Especially when there are at least a couple of guys in Persona 5 you should absolutely be able to date :colbert:

I really liked Kawakami's social link in general, but it's just because of how sympathetic of a character I found Kawakami to be. But there's easily a version of that social link where you can't date her, and without the weird sexual angle, that still has the same sympathetic story to tell.

:agreed:

I think Kawakami and her redemption are potentially really powerful but end up blighted by the need to have the stupid seduction story and French maid costume fetish in the game. :barf:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The snes F-Zero game is actually pretty dope I think

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DLC Inc posted:

I only remember Chie and nobody else since "I loving love steak" is 50% of everyone's personality.

This is as true to human nature as you can possibly get though

edit: Vegetarians are lying to themselves

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

DLC Inc posted:

I love P5 but the Yusuke sequence of blackmail is insanely bad and could never understand how the others accepted him as a friend later on.

What's more hosed is that even in light of this, I still prefer the cast of P5 leaps and bounds over P4. I only remember Chie and nobody else since "I loving love steak" is 50% of everyone's personality.

75% of my soul is about my love of beefs.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I play a lot of Overwatch, badly, and the loot boxes are way inoffensive to me. When I get cool things I'm excited but I don't feel like a dude who got sixty billion boxes (either by levelling or with money) has an advantage over me. It's doubly inoffensive because it doesn't reward grinding OR whaling. No matter how many hours or dollars you spent on this game, you kicked my rear end because I'm Bad and you're less bad.

Edit whoops I waited a long time to post this and now it's old news RIP

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Not being able to date Yusuke is the biggest flaw of P5. He straight up sounds like he's flirting with you at times

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Persona 5 was way better about you not dating character with whom you max out their social links. The previous games pretty much guilt you if you refuse while in P5 the characters, at worst, seem mildly disappointed that you didn't make a move and usually that element isn't even there. It's still not amazing but it's still better than what low standards of that sort of thing I hold to JRPGs.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I play a lot of Overwatch, badly, and the loot boxes are way inoffensive to me. When I get cool things I'm excited but I don't feel like a dude who got sixty billion boxes (either by levelling or with money) has an advantage over me. It's doubly inoffensive because it doesn't reward grinding OR whaling. No matter how many hours or dollars you spent on this game, you kicked my rear end because I'm Bad and you're less bad.

I mean I hear you but it's still a system designed to manipulate the minority of gamers who are extremely suceptible to gambling psychology into spending hundreds of dollars on basically nothing. There's a goddamn reason that I can't just buy the new cool Zen skin.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

chumbler posted:

it's just the opposite state of being able to pay cash dollars for a mechanical advantage dude

games without microtransactions at all exist in a default state of "just cosmetics available for cash", it just so happens there's none there

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, can we not have this argument again? Please?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Not until everyone finally admits that I have the only good opinion.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I have not looked at this at all and am ready to be 100% wrong, but hasn't everyone's interaction with that game been solely through a timed demo? I know there are other games that have had sort of limited run alphas/betas/demo-whatevers that made it so you had to be online when you played but had no such restriction in the main game.

I feel like Nioh did this but it's been a while.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Nina posted:

Not being able to date Yusuke is the biggest flaw of P5. He straight up sounds like he's flirting with you at times

yusuke is volcel respect it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

with Odyssey coming out I'm starting to think that we might actually get a Top 5 year in game awards with 2 Nintendo games, that's crazy. It'll probably be Zelda winning a lot of them but I'd really love to see a Mario game as a GOTY pick.

I'm gonna say Horizon:Zero Dawn, Nier Automata, and Cuphead could potentially get nods in the upper echelon as well. Persona 5 reviewed incredibly but it's probably too niche, and doesn't have the same narrative and surprise factor that Nier did. And if awards go by "narrative of how the year went" then a Nintendo game and/or Automata will likely win a lot of top game picks. This is just my prediction though, since my own top 10 or 5 would look way different.

• Locked thread