Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dreylad posted:

That's the sense I get about Nickleback, too. They're big on the west coast if i understand correctly, and lots of rural places, but not as omnipresent as you'd think.

I live on the west coast and have literally never met a single person that actually likes Nickleback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

I have literally never met a single person that actually likes Nickleback.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dreylad posted:

That's the sense I get about Nickleback, too. They're big on the west coast if i understand correctly, and lots of rural places, but not as omnipresent as you'd think.

Nickelback is absolutely not big on the west coast. And the Hip are very popular and well known here.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Hip pretty much defines the prairie provinces.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

McGavin posted:

They celebrate white genocide, so they can't be all bad.

I would love any of the loving "white genocide" morons to actually define "the white race" for me.

What combination of recessive genetic defects are they trying to protect here?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

I would love any of the loving "white genocide" morons to actually define "the white race" for me.

What combination of recessive genetic defects are they trying to protect here?

"Anyone who can receive a public service in Quebec without having their s.2 rights violated"

Burqa bill now burqa law, start your stopwatches for the inevitable (successful) charter challenge.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Every rock station plays a hip song every hour on the hour it feels like.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress The Rebel and anyone who reads it for their real news.

Good news! They're attached at the hip with the Conservative party leader and the 2019 campaign!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

tfw knowing that if the Conservatives win you will probably lose your job in 2019

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

littleorv posted:

tfw knowing that if the Conservatives win you will probably lose your job in 2019

I'll be lucky if all I lose is a job and not put in a camp.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

Hey now, it's not a competition

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Wirth1000 posted:

Work sets you free

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Huh, weirdly the Liberals aren't scrambling to offer tax incentives to Amazon.

"The Financial Post posted:

Ontario’s big pitch for Amazon.com Inc.’s second home doesn’t currently include a massive tax break for the company, just the promise of highly educated potential employees whose presence will help the e-commerce giant save on labour costs.

And while Amazon will have access to various incentives the province has made available to other companies in the past — a business support system that provided a grant to Cisco Systems Inc. worth up to $220 million, among other acts of government generosity — officials say they aren’t offering anything new in wooing the online retailer’s second North American headquarters, or HQ2.

“We’re not going to buy Amazon to come here,” Ontario Economic Development Minister Brad Duguid told reporters Wednesday morning at Toronto’s Royal York hotel. “We don’t need to buy Amazon to come here, because we have the competitiveness and the best talent base anywhere in North America today.”

Duguid’s remarks followed a speech for the Canadian Club Toronto by former TD Bank Group chief executive Ed Clark, who outlined the province’s plan.

Clark serves as Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne’s business adviser, and said she asked him to steer the province’s approach to helping cities make the official bids for Amazon’s HQ2, which the company has said will include $5 billion in construction investment and up to 50,000 “high-paying” jobs.

Clark predicted Ontario would win Amazon’s sweepstakes for its second North American headquarters if politics don’t come into play. The protectionist Trump White House has no great affection for one of Amazon founder Jeff Bezos’ other ventures, The Washington Post newspaper.

“If that’s not a constraint, we’re hands-down the winner,” Clark said.

But Ontario’s angle also stands in contrast to the bid offered by New Jersey, where Governor Chris Christie announced this week up to $7 billion in potential tax incentives over 10 years for Amazon to locate HQ2 in Newark.

“The Ontario government is not offering any new financial incentives to Amazon – nor any incentives that are not available to others who seek to grow or locate such jobs here,” Clark said.

“I think when someone gives you the ($7 billion), they’re saying ‘I’m not actually competitive, you would never come here if I didn’t give you this money,’” he told reporters later. “That is what those governments are saying, and we’re saying you should come here, because this is the right place.”

Instead, Ontario is going after Amazon’s heart by going after its labour needs. The province announced Wednesday it intends to increase the number of science, technology, engineering and math graduates in the province by 25 per cent over the next five years, to 50,000 per year from 40,000, meaning no other North American state or province would be churning out more STEM graduates per capita than Ontario, Clark said.

The province will also spend another $30 million on boosting the number of graduates steeped in artificial intelligence. These changes will take place whether Amazon comes to Ontario or not, Clark said.

Clark also said Amazon’s own figures suggest real estate is just 10 per cent of the company’s expenses, while the company faces about $5 billion per year in salary costs. He noted that if a government can offer Amazon a 30 per cent discount on those labour expenses, the savings of about $1.5 billion annually would be “staggering.”

“This talent is more competitively priced than in the United States,” he said.

Amazon outlined its preferences for HQ2 in a request for proposal document released last month, wherein the company said it is eyeing a metropolitan area with a population of more than one million for its second home. Since the company announced the contest, city after North American city has voiced interest in a bid, including Canadian ones such as Toronto, Halifax, Calgary and Vancouver.

The deadline for submitting HQ2 proposals is Thursday.

Amazon has hinted it will take a lot of generosity to win the HQ2 sweepstakes. The company’s request for proposals asked for “a summary of total incentives offered for the Project by the state/province and local community.” It also asked for “relevant crime data and cost of living data.”

“A stable and business-friendly environment and tax structure will be high-priority considerations for the Project,” the RFP said. “Incentives offered by the state/province and local communities to offset initial capital outlay and ongoing operational costs will be significant factors in the decision-making process.”

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol if any of you actually think amazon is going to put an hq in canada

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Amazon HQ is going to go in Winnipeg as Brian Pallister has personally promised an hj to Jeff Bezos

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
even if that were true and this pallister guy had d cup boobs and blonde hair, what advantage does winnipeg have over Langford, jewel of the Juan de Fucker strait

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Fine we'll throw in an fj from the mayor of Winnipeg as well. Combine that with no existing tech sector and a poorly educated workforce I think we have a winning bid

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

“This talent is more competitively priced than in the United States,” he said.

I like this line because it's just neoliberal speak for "we pay our workers less lol gently caress them"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

I like this line because it's just neoliberal speak for "we pay our workers less lol gently caress them"

The major cause of brain drain and somehow simultaneously a draw for American tech firms.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

Fine we'll throw in an fj from the mayor of Winnipeg as well. Combine that with no existing tech sector and a poorly educated workforce I think we have a winning bid

Is this why the tax credit for university graduates to stay in Manitoba was cut?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

namaste faggots posted:

even if that were true and this pallister guy had d cup boobs and blonde hair, what advantage does winnipeg have over Langford, jewel of the Juan de Fucker strait

We're the geographic center of the continent!

BTW this statement was literally listed as a pro by people in the administration trying to sell Winnipeg to Amazon.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

They do realize they're not building a distribution centre, right?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

littleorv posted:

Is this why the tax credit for university graduates to stay in Manitoba was cut?

No that was so Brian Pallister could provide hurricane support to costa rica

also lol this just popped up on my Twitter

https://twitter.com/SpiringDayna/status/920721663435706373

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I've never listened to the Tragically Hip before today and I'm really enjoying it and can see why they were so loved. But seems to me like the guitarist is the real star of the band? Is this a controversial opinion?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

HookShot posted:

I live on the west coast and have literally never met a single person that actually likes Nickleback.

I've worked with like 4 in Toronto.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Why no lines coming up North? :(

(We know why.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I've worked with like 4 in Toronto.

Found your problem

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

DariusLikewise posted:

No that was so Brian Pallister could provide hurricane support to costa rica

also lol this just popped up on my Twitter

https://twitter.com/SpiringDayna/status/920721663435706373

What a waste of money

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Its funny that there are no lines going north from Winnipeg in that graphic. Which kind of defeats the point of being in the center. I'd also hazard a guess that Amazon is better at logistics than whoever made that pamphlet.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
So proud Canadians, give one good reason why Amazon should move here?

Then give one good reason why anyone would want them to.

:laugh:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

You'd hope so, but also, they're building a business HQ, not a distribution center.

namaste faggots posted:

And there's this, what with them having a horrible corporate culture and all.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

namaste faggots posted:

So they can fill the hole left in our nation's soul by the death of our lord and saviour Gord Downie, with bad jobs and lovely consumer goods, obviously.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

namaste faggots posted:

They can teach us how good capitalism is under a system with at-will employ....hahahaha I can't even type that with a straight face.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

Because a terrible company is a perfect match for the terrible people who live in Canada

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Vintersorg posted:

What about The Weakerthans?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Hey guys, where is Toronto anyway?

edit: seriously though, isn't that more like London?

odiv fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 18, 2017

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Put Amazon in Calgary so we can finally kill the oil industry.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
HQ2 isn't coming anywhere in canada but toronto, and otherwise will go to the us. The HQ2 bidding shenanigans is simply free marketing for Amazon in every city who overthinks their self worth.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Gord Downie seemed like a good dude, cancer sucks. The Hip were just the musical equivalent of Tim Hortons though.

I guess they’re ok if you’re the sort of person who gets all weepy and patriotic over the Tims commercials with dads and their sons at hockey practice in Shitheap, ON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segue
May 23, 2007

thehoodie posted:

I've never listened to the Tragically Hip before today and I'm really enjoying it and can see why they were so loved. But seems to me like the guitarist is the real star of the band? Is this a controversial opinion?

I'm a huge fan of the Hip and have always maintained that Rob Baker is criminally underrated. The guy just bleeds excellent hooks.

I think the Gord Downie and the Hip are huge among white Canadians and embody that white rural Canada image that we have of ourselves.

But all I've seen today is those same white people talk about how they define Canada. My friends who are people of colour or are Francos have much less of an investment in them which is why all the talk around them "defining Canada" during their last tour and now makes me uncomfortable.

They're an amazing rock band but they're huge only to a specific group of people that seems relatively homogeneous.