Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Lichtenstein posted:

The train operator suddenly became generous to offer tickets to this event across the country for a nominal fee of 1 zloty, which was cool because you could just jump off the train somewhere along the way and go do your thing for cheap.

Regrettably, nothing really funny happened at the prayers themselves.

One idea that made the rounds on Facebook was that you could book a ticket to a border town near Wrocław and use the offer to cheaply get to that city's gay pride parade, which took place on the same day.

I don't know if anyone actually did this, but I hope they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/EnglishRussia1/status/917643546663976960

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

* I do not know what weapons will World War 3 be fought with, but I am sure World War 4 will be fought with sticks, stones and clones
* Sticks and stones will break one's bones, but clones will have no affect on the current poverty, economy and security

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

It's the same guy - hungover, sober, and drunk.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Looks like daddy has a type.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Today I learned Nietzsche on a number of occasions made reference to a supposed Polish ancestry ("I thank Heaven, that in all of my instincts I am a Pole and nobody else"; "I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood"). As far as I can tell, there's no evidence of any such bloodline. It's unclear to me if this was a sincerely held belief, but Wikipedia says, regardless, that it probably symbolized his rejection of contemporary German values.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Speaking of, I heard a couple of months ago that Nietzsche was published mostly posthumously, and that his sister and her husband were the editors; that brother-in-law was supposed to have been a nazi and literally edited in passages with rasist ideology. These statements came from a young Jewish guy in a YouTube video... can anyone verify that all that is true? It's interesting enough that I didn't ridicule it out of hand, still. Would be nice if a random stranger on the forums actually knew.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Speaking of, I heard a couple of months ago that Nietzsche was published mostly posthumously, and that his sister and her husband were the editors; that brother-in-law was supposed to have been a nazi and literally edited in passages with rasist ideology. These statements came from a young Jewish guy in a YouTube video... can anyone verify that all that is true? It's interesting enough that I didn't ridicule it out of hand, still. Would be nice if a random stranger on the forums actually knew.

His sister is infamous for what she did with his writings. She was an enthusiastic supporter of the NSP.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Here is a lengthy text (in French) detailing how the body of The Will to Power was compiled from Nietzsche's notes, based more or less entirely on arbitrary decisions by the caretakers of his literary estate, with a strange disregards for the overall dynamics and tensions that are apparent if the same original notes are read in a chronological order, also it is questionable if the title itself, as well as its contents, are indeed what Nietzsche advertised to be his next book - we will probably never know. Overall I think it's safe to say the book was composed in a way that subjugated the text to a particular interpretation of Nietzsche's intent and philosophy instead of the interpretation following from the text.

http://www.lyber-eclat.net/lyber/montinari/volonte.html

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 15, 2017

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Today is the last day of local elections in Estonia.

I'll tell you later how hosed we're going to be compared to how hosed we are now.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Thank you both! Very, very interesting.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Fortunately, Estonia is now just as hosed as it was before. Because it could have been way worse, but it's not better either.

The center party got most votes, that's because non-citizens are allowed to vote in local elections for some reason, and they won in Tallinn with 40 seats out of 79. So now we'll get a half-korean half-estonian russian mayor. They lost 6 seats compared to the last election, so it's tiny progress. It was very close and not far off from the one deciding seat belonging to center party's former leader who was thrown out last year (he's under trial with corruption charges), who formed his own electoral union together with his crony businessmen and they got whole 1 seat. All other opposition parties got the other 38.

Across the country various electoral unions got altogether 26.8% of the votes, which is the second best result. I think electoral unions are a good idea because they go beyond usual 'party loyalty' and people work together for their own community. It's not like the parties have huge differences anyway. Unfortunately in Tallinn the one I voted for didn't pass the 5% threshold and those votes were lost.

The "locomotives" are still a problem, by that I mean the ministers and members of the parliament who set themselves up as candidates and then some other guy replaces said person in the local government, somebody that barely anyone has heard of.

The right-wing conservative racist homophobes got whole 6,7% of all votes, which is far off from the 17%, according to september polls. The electoral unions probably ate up a lot of the votes. One of their promises was to get rid of "homomultikulti propaganda" from kindergartens and schools. I guess that didn't work.

edit: and starting from today new administrative division reform goes into force. parishes get merged with each other or are getting merged with towns. So next elections will look very different. And town of Pärnu with population 40 000 will become larger than New York. Here's a map with a slider to compare before/after: http://www.delfi.ee/news/paevauudis...vad?id=78893306

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 16, 2017

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Take that, decentralized nonfiat currency!

https://twitter.com/Coinpricetrack/status/919971630482317312

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Unironically, yes, it's going to be better than existing decentralised crypto. But mostly because they are tremendously useless, and even beads or smooth rocks are a better currency than Bitcoin.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I read that first as Cryptorube, but I guess that would been too much on the nose.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Paladinus posted:

Unironically, yes, it's going to be better than existing decentralised crypto. But mostly because they are tremendously useless, and even beads or smooth rocks are a better currency than Bitcoin.

Yes, in that it's actually backed by a government with authority to back a currency. Still yes, even though the government in question is notoriously corrupt.

Worst thing that can happen is they manipulate the currency or steal your eRubles, at which point it would still be as good as Bitcoin.

Edit: Also entirely appropriate that Russia would create such a currency to facilitate the thriving online theft market - unloading bitcoin ransom payments must be a pain in the rear end.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 16, 2017

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2017/10/difficult-material

quote:

Omer Hodzic, a comedian who once hosted a “Daily Show”-like programme called “Monty Dayton” (tipping his hat to both the Pythons and the 1995 Dayton Accords), insists that politics is always funny. He makes a point of performing his act in Bosnia’s Serb-majority areas, precisely to push himself and his audiences into uncomfortable territory. “You guys are Serbs, right?” he asks crowds in Republika Srpska. “Am I the only Omer you’ve ever met without killing? I have to thank you for my pension, by the way. I wouldn’t have gotten it if you hadn’t killed my father.”

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Performing his show about relations between the sexes, Mr Bajovic finds himself counting differences between men and women on one hand. The audience can only come up with three, which he represents with his thumb, index and middle fingers—the notorious three-finger salute of ethnic Serb nationalism. “Hurry up!” he cries. “Look what you’re making me do in the middle of Sarajevo!”

This is the best comedian in the world.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
So, in Poland news, a guy set himself on fire in the center of Warsaw, leaving a list of grievances against PiS: the attack on independent courts, abusing the legislative process, their discrimination of LGBT people, women and immigrants, illegal logging in the protected Bialowieza forest etc. The text is, quite honestly, shockingly calm and reasoned for something written by a person who decided to commit a gruesome and painful suicide for a political cause. Which is what makes the whole thing even more chilling, this was not some crazy person - probably depressed, yes, but able to articulate and argue his points coherently and likely educated. He's alive, but his condition is unknown.

Pretty terrible stuff :( Poor guy. I hope he makes it and this doesn't lead to even more escalation of political divisions, but then of course I know it will. Already the right-wing trolls are spewing their bile and one idiot liberal commentator is practically celebrating the guy's martyrdom. loving Christ, this country.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Suicide is very illegal in Catholicism, he should be doing hard time for such a crime.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Suicide is very illegal in Catholicism, he should be doing hard time for such a crime.
Yeah, but he won't have committed that if he makes it. And I'm fairly sure you could weasel out of that as some kind of extreme mortification of the flesh, Catholics gotta love that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

"For journalists"

E: more appropriate translation, yeah it's pretty :eyepop: though it might've been a joke on the part of whoever game him that

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 20, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Perfect for the man who jokes about killing journalists... With Putin.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So, the Czech elections are ongoing.

Fun game, pick who you think is going to win:

- The xenophobic-nationalist party headed by a Japanese man
- The neoliberal party headed by the second wealthiest man in the country, currently under investigation for misappropriation of public funds
- The milquetoast social democratic party (current PM)
- The growing Communist party with an agenda focused exclusively on the lucrative octogenarian demographic

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, but he won't have committed that if he makes it. And I'm fairly sure you could weasel out of that as some kind of extreme mortification of the flesh, Catholics gotta love that.
Not really, even attempted suicide used to be punished. In case of Great Britain - by hanging.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Dwesa posted:

Not really, even attempted suicide used to be punished. In case of Great Britain - by hanging.

Well, makes sense. After all, if the government kills you, your soul would be fine, right?

Then again, GB isn't even a catholic nation. WTF?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if I'd call ANO neo-liberal but it's not like they have any clear agenda past "money and power for Babiš". I've heard it was much the same with Orbán in Hungary which honestly scares me quite a bit.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Orbán is a nationalist ideologue, Babiš is "just" a businessman seeking a combination of vanity and tax relief

The problem is that if he gets brokebrained, he has enough economic power to completely screw up the political system, he has been compared to a more powerful Berlusconi in that regard.

Personally I'm more offended by the fact Okamura is still a thing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The way I heard it, Orbán showed his nationalist colors after he became PM. Okamura is the more obvious danger since he's got a plan for dismantling the system and Russian connections (or at least sympathies), but Babiš can do a lot of damage.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dommolus Magnus posted:

Well, makes sense. After all, if the government kills you, your soul would be fine, right?

Then again, GB isn't even a catholic nation. WTF?

The joke here is, GB tended to punish a lot of things with hanging. Steal a tiny piece of bread? Hanging. Murder? Hanging. Getting caught punching a picture of the King? Hanging. Australia as a nation only exists because GB got too tired of hanging all those evil bread-stealers and poor people, and instead decided to ship them all to the other end of the world.

That said, killing someone for attempted suicide is basically rewarding someone for his crime. The better solution is clearly long prison sentences so the victims can "enjoy" their life for as long as possible.

Dwesa posted:

"Even attempted suicide", huh? So how was successful suicide punished? Hanging of all relatives? Was the corpse thrown into prison? :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Being buried in unsactified ground, I believe. Mark of shame and outcast on your family and so on.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

And possessions of someone who commited suicide could be forfeited by the Crown, family got nothing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dwesa posted:

Sure, but that was when 99.9% of crimes in Britain carried the death penalty. Unless you were of the nobility of course.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Soo, Czechs can either pick a dude that would cause a trade war with Poland over his food monopoly, or a Russian plant?

I've checked historical punishments for suicide in Poland in whatever form. Puppet state under Tsarist Russia had police custody until you get better. Earlier there are only mentions of body being dragged through town or not being buried on a Catholic cemetery.

Right now the only way this self burning can end in law action is if some right wing oval office decides it was instigated by someone.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

steinrokkan posted:

Personally I'm more offended by the fact Okamura is still a thing.

Yeah, I have no idea why he is popular. I can understand why would some (dumb) people like Babiš, but I would be hard-pressed to find a politician that has fewer morals and conviction than Okamura, who says whatever he thinks will get him more votes at any given point.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xarn posted:

Yeah, I have no idea why he is popular. I can understand why would some (dumb) people like Babiš, but I would be hard-pressed to find a politician that has fewer morals and conviction than Okamura, who says whatever he thinks will get him more votes at any given point.
He's good at scaring people shitless over the Muslim Menace; that manages to give people the idea that voicing their petty hates is something perfectly normal as opposed to what them filthy extremists would do. Plus, as you said, he's willing to promise everything to everyone and blame everything unpopular on an outside factor, usually the EU. Basically the Hitler school of getting elected.
He should not be that much of a threat if Babiš wants to keep the Foreign Ministry to himself. If he doesn't, God help us all.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

He's good at scaring people shitless over the Muslim Menace; that manages to give people the idea that voicing their petty hates is something perfectly normal as opposed to what them filthy extremists would do. Plus, as you said, he's willing to promise everything to everyone and blame everything unpopular on an outside factor, usually the EU. Basically the Hitler school of getting elected.
He should not be that much of a threat if Babiš wants to keep the Foreign Ministry to himself. If he doesn't, God help us all.

True, but even if I was scared shitless of immigrants, I wouldn't vote for him, but rather for a party that genuinely believes the Muslim Menace must be stopped. I don't think anybody knows what Tomio's actual politics would end up being, but it should be patently obvious to anyone who has two brain cells to rub together that his campaign promises are catered to whatever is the current scare in popular consciousness.

Basically, I just want to believe that average person isn't completely stupid :v:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's funny the guy who is scaring people with tales of dirty foreigners first rose to prominence as the chair of the Tourim Board or whatever it is called.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

So Babis is in a clear lead so far :confuoot: and Tomio is on same level as the loving Pirate party. Commies aren't doing that great either so I guess it could've been worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lol, such a shitshow