Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wanna have a look at the person who loved Spawn so much they stockpiled eight preview magazines and kept them mint.

Ten. And he was young and said something about his uncle so he either inherited them or stole them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I still have my signed Spawn #1 somewhere. Todd came to the minor league stadium my dad worked at and handed them out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thats not even spawn

thats a guide to upcoming comics that's not previews laff.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wanna have a look at the person who loved Spawn so much they stockpiled eight preview magazines and kept them mint.

Let me show you my 6 copies of X-force #1...

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Medullah posted:

Let me show you my 6 copies of X-force #1...

Which trading cards did they come with??

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

JordanKai posted:

Which trading cards did they come with??

What do you think I am some sort of rookie, one of each of course

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Lenticular variants are such a massive flop that most large retailers are offering them to shops that didn't order them for 50% of cost. We're thinking of blowing them out at the local convention in two weeks.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

It'd help if the lenticular covers worked right. I haven't seen one yet that does.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

The Lenticular variants are such a massive flop that most large retailers are offering them to shops that didn't order them for 50% of cost. We're thinking of blowing them out at the local convention in two weeks.

Clearly they should have learned from the 90s and gone with foil embossed covers instead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Heathen posted:

It'd help if the lenticular covers worked right. I haven't seen one yet that does.

The DC ones have been good.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Medullah posted:

Clearly they should have learned from the 90s and gone with foil embossed holographic X-Men covers instead.

:colbert:

Edit: Meant to say "and/or Alex Ross's Marvels covers with the weird clear gatefold like when I wanted to make a classy book report"

Edit #2: "kickass XO Manowar foil embossed cover"

sticksy fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 18, 2017

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Rhyno posted:

Tuesday delivery, early books, etc

I know this is a ways back but aren't most shops closed on Tuesdays for this reason? I mean, it's not mandatory but every shop I've ever been to is usually closed the day before new-book day.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Ferrule posted:

I know this is a ways back but aren't most shops closed on Tuesdays for this reason? I mean, it's not mandatory but every shop I've ever been to is usually closed the day before new-book day.

Mine is open. They just stay late Tuesday night to set everything up. I've helped them a couple times too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've never noticed a comic book shop being closed on Tuesdays, but I also don't make a habit of going on Tuesdays for the very obvious reason.

Weirdly, Bike shops in my area tend to be closed on Tuesdays, but I only know that because my wheels got stolen on a Monday night once.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I went to a comic shop on Tuesday once and just saw all the new comics for the next day being sorted on some tables. They weren't selling them of course.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah we do it behind the counter. I know some shops that close in delivery day, DCBS used to. The other shop in town was always closed on Mondays.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's always been Mondays off here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

It's always been Mondays off here.

We sell a shitload more than comics so we're open 7 days.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Ferrule posted:

My local shop is closed on Sundays because he needs a day off and Mondays because that's the day he visits other stores and schedules people to bring in their collections.

When I worked nights I'd stop in on Tuesdays at noon and pull my own books as would others. It was always funny to see a Diamond secret shopper pop in on a Tuesday.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
David Gabriel, Marvel and their entire marketing department can eat a dick. We're officially done with the Lenticulars as they have proven to be a spectacular failure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We cut our Marvel orders so much that Diamond called us to make sure it wasn't a mistake.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I don't own or work in a comic shop but it was my dream as a kid and maybe still is a little. I just wanted to say that I really enjoy this thread.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Surely this thread should put you off working in a comic book shop though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

irlZaphod posted:

Surely this thread should put you off working in a comic book shop though.

That's every single industry thread, it's way more interesting to talk about horrible poo poo that happened to you than the day where everything went fine.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Here's a good comic shop story.

Today I was loitering at the shop, and the only other customers were a family with three kids. They grab every Scrooge McDuck book we have, a Gotham Adventures trade, and a Harley Quinn figure for dad. Dad is quiet, kids are well behaved, and the wife is super friendly. While ringing up the Gotham Adventures trade she mentions her husband has a story in it. My buddy goes "Yeah? Who is he?". She points at the name "Paul Dini." We play it cool, but my brain is geeking out.

His wife is from the neighborhood, and they were in town for thanksgiving. Paul drew a Harley on a sketch cover, and his wife needled him about buying a Harley figure. "They send you four of everything." "Not this one.."

What a great day.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

Here's a good comic shop story.

Today I was loitering at the shop, and the only other customers were a family with three kids. They grab every Scrooge McDuck book we have, a Gotham Adventures trade, and a Harley Quinn figure for dad. Dad is quiet, kids are well behaved, and the wife is super friendly. While ringing up the Gotham Adventures trade she mentions her husband has a story in it. My buddy goes "Yeah? Who is he?". She points at the name "Paul Dini." We play it cool, but my brain is geeking out.

His wife is from the neighborhood, and they were in town for thanksgiving. Paul drew a Harley on a sketch cover, and his wife needled him about buying a Harley figure. "They send you four of everything." "Not this one.."

What a great day.
You met real-life Zatanna!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's awesome!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hope you were stocking that Vertigo autobiography. Bet he was scanning for that at some point.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I have no clue about the autobiography, but we were woefully unprepared. His wife volunteered to have him sign all the Harley stuff, but we told them the sketch was more than enough.

The owner of the shop literally walked past them on his way in while they were leaving. At least he finally has another book for his wall of fame next to the Mighty Avengers variant Eminem signed.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Are comics retailers expected to constantly be on guard in case a comics notable walks in?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightning Lord posted:

Are comics retailers expected to constantly be on guard in case a comics notable walks in?

Only in major cities.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

He didn't kiss the ring. Penance will be paid upon selling 500 copies of Futures End.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I forgot about this episode of a friend of mines podcast that's specifically about etiquette in comic shops, both from the customer and staffs POV.

http://www.livingbetweenwednesdays.com/blog/4-3

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

Nah. We're a couple miles out of Detroit. We only got Eminem because his friend works there, and ICP and Twiztid used to record around here. Mrs Dini came in once at the old location to buy a bunch of Jingle Belle books like ten years ago. Ryan Stegman stopped in once. He went to the local community college.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 23, 2017

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Dumb newbie question time. What is the appeal for a customer to set up a pull list, rather than getting a subscription? Or just buying the books you want off the racks? Is it so you can be sure to get a copy of the next big thing? The only shop I have been to seems to have quite a few copies of most(every?) book being run by Marvel, and multiple back issues going back about 6 or 7 months. Twice now, I have been able to buy all the issues for books I enjoy to catch up from where marvel unlimited leaves off. Is this not normal??

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Subscriptions dont really exist anymore. The pull list is just so you guarantee you get the books every month.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

Dumb newbie question time. What is the appeal for a customer to set up a pull list, rather than getting a subscription? Or just buying the books you want off the racks? Is it so you can be sure to get a copy of the next big thing? The only shop I have been to seems to have quite a few copies of most(every?) book being run by Marvel, and multiple back issues going back about 6 or 7 months. Twice now, I have been able to buy all the issues for books I enjoy to catch up from where marvel unlimited leaves off. Is this not normal??

Smaller stores won't always be able to order enough of everything, increased pre-orders help smaller books. If your pull list is just Spider-Man and Batman it's relatively pointless, but if you've got some indie books you're following it can be helpful to guarantee a copy, especially if it's release schedule is a little uneven and you don't go to the comic store every week. Some places offer a small discount or free bag and board for your pull list.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

I'm the crazy guy with more than 100 series on my pull list atm.

I get a 25% discount on everything in the store, which helps a lot.
Guaranteed copies of lower selling books. Many shops will only order enough for the people who have it on their pull list if it's not selling. For instance, I was the only person pulling Bounty last year at my shop, and there was only one other person with Vision on their list
First access to variants. Not a huge deal, but sometimes there will be a variant by an artist I really like, so it's nice to have the option.

It's not the biggest incentive ever. I mean, even with that discount, I'd be better off just waiting for sales on comixology, but I do like it enough to keep at it. It ultimately comes down to whether or not you care about keeping up with the latest stuff.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok, that all makes more sense to me, especially if you get a discount. I was pleasantly surprised to find the store I was in a couple days ago didn't want to charge more for the lenticular cover of the Zdarsky Spider-Man book, vs the regular one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

B33rChiller posted:

Ok, that all makes more sense to me, especially if you get a discount. I was pleasantly surprised to find the store I was in a couple days ago didn't want to charge more for the lenticular cover of the Zdarsky Spider-Man book, vs the regular one!

I've seen a bunch of places upcharging on those loving things and it makes my blood boil.

Also if your shop doesn't bag & board for free you should find a new loving shop.

• Locked thread