Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Fact: Most Videogame Cosmetics Look Way Worse Than The Default Skins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

glam rock hamhock posted:

Persona 5 was way better about you not dating character with whom you max out their social links. The previous games pretty much guilt you if you refuse while in P5 the characters, at worst, seem mildly disappointed that you didn't make a move and usually that element isn't even there. It's still not amazing but it's still better than what low standards of that sort of thing I hold to JRPGs.

My favourite bit is convincing Futaba her crush is just her feeling the spirit of teamwork and she buys into it 100%

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Played about 2 hours of Elex now. It's basically exactly like Gothic, just with Sci-Fi elements. Which is what I wanted so that's okay.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Nina posted:

My favourite bit is convincing Futaba her crush is just her feeling the spirit of teamwork and she buys into it 100%

Gah I forgot about her.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

what if persona 5 had a deluxe edition that came with a real cat

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Quest For Glory II posted:

I would've bought it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

this sounds like a really bad idea for preorders that ship to anywhere in the pacific! :zombie:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Are you saying the plush Morgana I got in the deluxe edition isn't a real cat? because if you are...:mad:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

like there isn't already enough packing material to throw away from things you order

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

like there isn't already enough packing material to throw away from things you order
the cat would chase after it and it woulod be cute

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of anime games, I will be sad when I get to the part of Tales of Berseria where Magilou starts giving a poo poo because her being a complete gives no fucks rear end in a top hat is probably my favorite part of this game so far.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Cowcaster posted:

i'm not asking why they create fat stacks, i'm asking why they were implemented as a way to make money

it seems a lot more likely the answer might be "corporations are loving greedy" and not "consumers are too cheap"

Loot boxes solve a lot of problems that have been plaguing the selling and development of games:

- Publishers like them because they make a lot of money and keep players within the game's ecosystem. This means a successful game with an attractive microtransaction model can suck the oxygen out of the room and keep players from playing something else, such as a game by a competitor. Furthermore, a game purchased at a discount or second hand doesn't mean you've lost that much revenue. Someone who purchased Overwatch used can still enjoy the game and spend hundreds of dollars for loot boxes. The game is even $40 on PC. With a game like Dishonored 2, there is a limit to how much money a publisher can extract out of a person who buys the game second hand.

- Developers like them because they can continue to field a large team after launching a game. They don't have to downsize content creation staff after launching a game and immediately go into pre-production with a smaller team for the next project. Loot boxes can pay for a large team to keep churning out content, events, and more loot boxes. If their game lacks mass appeal or has a less than successful launch, a small number of dedicated whales can still support the game long enough for the team to address problems.

- Casual users like loot boxes since they typically play a handful of games each year and don't mind investing more in a game they really enjoy. For example, someone might like FIFA and enjoy playing Ultimate Team and building up the perfect team. Casuals typically value their free time over money so they're not too hung up over purchasing power boosts/shortcuts with in-game money. Even if they don't purchase any microtransactions, they do enjoy engaging in special events and having microtransactions subsidize lengthy post launch support.

- Whale/power users like them since they enjoy purchasing power boosts and vanity items. They don't mind spending a small fortune to beat the house on loot boxes. Even though they make a small portion of the playerbase, a handful of whales can effectively pay years of post launch content by a large team.

The type of players who dislike or outright hate lootboxes are people on forums like these who grew up paying $50-$60 single-player games and feel increasingly marginalized with where the gaming industry is going. They are not the target of loot boxes. Many publishers already have had success with microtranstions on mobile/PC F2P games so they have a good idea who to target when bringing these monetization systems to traditional games.

The only people who can stop this practice are casuals and whales. However, they're more likely to play another game with more generous drop rates than to swear off loot boxes altogether. Many children are growing up in an environment where these types of microtransactions are common. So I expect them to become even more commonplace than they already are.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Hey maybe if you're setting a target of 5 million sales for a loving Dead Space game the problem isn't with the consumer.

It's in the interest of big AAA publishers to continuously raise the cost of game development. This might sound counter-intuitive. Why not encourage an environment where development costs are low and developers can take more risks?

However, high costs means a high barrier to entry. The big publishers value the longterm stability of their business over innovation, growth, or even short term profits. If it takes tens of millions of dollars to develop and promote a game, then very few new entrants can come in and disrupt the market. Even the large multimedia giants have a difficult time entering the gaming industry. Warner Bros. Games had to spend years building up their studios and Disney shuddered its game developers in favor of licensing out its IP. Square-Enix even described the North America/Europe market as an oligopoly. Rising costs also makes risk taking incredibly punishable since so many development resources are tied to each project. You end with an industry where brinksmanship is the norm and it's very difficult to deescalate costs.

We see this in a lot of industries where the big players raise the cost of doing business to prevent new entrants from usurping them. Crude oil companies operate rigs at a loss to stave off the growth of shale oil and renewables. In the movie industry, we're seeing ballooning costs of making blockbuster movies. This means the big studios have most of the marketshare and mid-sized studios have difficulty moving up. New Line Cinema was a rising star until the release of The Golden Compass where it ended being eaten up by Warner Bros. Similarly, we saw THQ, which was a top five gaming publisher at one time, struggle to pivot to AAA and eventually get eaten up by the other big publishers.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Sunning posted:

The type of players who dislike or outright hate lootboxes are people on forums like these who grew up paying $50-$60 single-player games and feel increasingly marginalized with where the gaming industry is going. They are not the target of loot boxes. Many publishers already have had success with microtranstions on mobile/PC F2P games so they have a good idea who to target when bringing these monetization systems to traditional games.

The only people who can stop this practice are casuals and whales. However, they're more likely to play another game with more generous drop rates than to swear off loot boxes altogether. Many children are growing up in an environment where these types of microtransactions are common. So I expect them to become even more commonplace than they already are.

You forgot people who don't like lootboxes because they exploit addictive personalities and are just unregulated gambling. Why is this a good thing for children to grow up to again?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nothing ever dies, every year there are new financial projections and executives read Trend Magazines that predict what demographics like Millenials will be into in the coming years. right now it's games as a service and next year it'll be first person shooters and in 2019 it'll be, i dunno, every game is Katamari Demacy

considering the katamari damacy guy's reasons for creating katamari damacy and bitterness over bamco making tons of sequels i'm pretty sure he'd die if that happened

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only way loot boxes are going away is if there's some actual government regulation on them. The chances of that happening are non-existent though. They make too much money for any company that isn't opposed to them on an ethical level to ignore them.

With the rise of PUBG and a bunch of devs scrambling to get in on that cash cow, I predict that multiplayer focused games are gonna get reallyyyyy lovely in the next few years.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Are we just sidestepping the part where loot boxes are transparently just companies deciding that simply selling things isn't as much profit as they would like?

Jrpgs are the only hope for the future.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Internet Kraken posted:

The only way loot boxes are going away is if there's some actual government regulation on them. The chances of that happening are non-existent though. They make too much money for any company that isn't opposed to them on an ethical level to ignore them.

There is actually precedent for this, a few years ago a particularly egregious form of loot boxes got declared a form of gambling by the relevant Japanese authority and a lot of mobile game companies had to issue statements along the lines of "we do not, have never, and would never use this evil, exploitative system, also we've removed it from all our games now".

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

with the rise of PUBG multiplayer focused games are already really lovely :tipshat:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nina posted:

Not being able to date Yusuke is the biggest flaw of P5. He straight up sounds like he's flirting with you at times

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Just like in politics, it's always gratifying to be able to identify someone who has downloaded a list of talking points to parrot in favor of regressive policies

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

With the rise of PUBG and a bunch of devs scrambling to get in on that cash cow, I predict that multiplayer focused games are gonna get reallyyyyy lovely in the next few years.

https://twitter.com/Toadsanime/status/920386511664832514

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Sunning posted:

The type of players who dislike or outright hate lootboxes are people on forums like these who grew up paying $50-$60 single-player games and feel increasingly marginalized with where the gaming industry is going.

Yeah :( This is me and I have such anger about my toy hobby

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Queueing with only default skins puts you in Fashion MMR Hell where you're matched up against swag teams all impossibly cooler and more stylish than you.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

glam rock hamhock posted:

Speaking of anime games, I will be sad when I get to the part of Tales of Berseria where Magilou starts giving a poo poo because her being a complete gives no fucks rear end in a top hat is probably my favorite part of this game so far.

if you're expecting magilou to ever stop acting like a detached weirdo that's not a shtick she ever really drops, even when she does start openly giving a poo poo

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 18, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

chumbler posted:

Are we just sidestepping the part where loot boxes are transparently just companies deciding that simply selling things isn't as much profit as they would like?

Jrpgs are the only hope for the future.

With jrpgs we just get a hundred dollars of costume dlc

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lets hang out posted:

With jrpgs we just get a hundred dollars of costume dlc

Milla as Dhaos ftw

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Lets go back to when the biggest thing gamers had to be angry about was horse armor DLC.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

exquisite tea posted:

Queueing with only default skins puts you in Fashion MMR Hell where you're matched up against swag teams all impossibly cooler and more stylish than you.

The future is cool as hell

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Just like in politics, it's always gratifying to be able to identify someone who has downloaded a list of talking points to parrot in favor of regressive policies

If you mean sunning I think he works in the games industry or something

he makes interesting posts in the final fantasy thread

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

To be clear I'm not, that post was reasoned enough

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

sunning was the savior of the NX threads.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nina posted:

That's one of those times when I feel like the translation dropped the ball. It's one of those "nakama" things and they went with "team" when I think, in Futaba's case, "family" would've been more appropriate.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Gah I forgot about her.

The most important Persona 5 advice: don't date your nerdy little sister. :colbert:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

MMF Freeway posted:

The future is cool as hell

Analytics and browsing history are used to assemble an entire opposing team most likely to be wearing the exact skin you want on each of their respective characters.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This loot box talk actually makes me a little depressed. I feel kinda like I did back in November, except I’m not exactly losing sleep over it I guess

Why do they hate us??

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jay Rust posted:

This loot box talk actually makes me a little depressed. I feel kinda like I did back in November, except I’m not exactly losing sleep over it I guess

Why do they hate us??

They don't hate you. They just want your money.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Kraken posted:

They don't hate you. They just want your money.

Okay, they can't have it. now what do they do

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Here's my hot take on loot boxes: capitalism is bad.

Thank you for reading.

nachos posted:

You forgot people who don't like lootboxes because they exploit addictive personalities and are just unregulated gambling. Why is this a good thing for children to grow up to again?

Nobody's saying it's a good thing for children to grow up on, just that they are growing up on it and so they're just used to it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

We have kidnapped your friends/family and turned them into legendary rarity lootbox drops

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

Okay, keep your money. But don't you want to find out what's inside...this loot box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

We have kidnapped your friends/family and turned them into legendary rarity lootbox drops

Fortunately all my friends and family are deadbeats so it can hardly be considered pay 2 win.

• Locked thread