Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Koalas March posted:

I am starting to wonder if you're one of those alt right guys who thinks stirring up poo poo and making false claims about white supremacists will make other claims less credible.

Wow gently caress you too, I guess. Sorry you disapprove of how I push back against Nazi poo poo but as someone who is apparently aggrieved that goons dismiss you as hypersensitive about racism perhaps you should take your own advice and stop it with this kind of poo poo. You don't know my story or what the Nazis did to my family. Yes I think calling someone out for saying we should emulate kristallnacht should be done clearly and aggressively.

How much "well actually" would we put up with if we were talking about some Pepe and the excuse was "well he literally isn't wearing a swastika, it's just a frog and he's not an actual member of the NSDAP which would be impossible since it was dissolved after the war"? Fuckers are always trying to slide by on these technicalities.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Goddamnit majoriam the obamas are NOT reptilians. I've seen the lab results

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Calibanibal posted:

Goddamnit majoriam the obamas are NOT reptilians. I've seen the lab results

Soros-sponsored government labs! The same ones that are turning our frogs GAY!:freep:

yronic heroism posted:

Wow gently caress you too, I guess. Sorry you disapprove of how I push back against Nazi poo poo

That's not what you're doing. You're cynically using someone's dumb post as a cudgel against people to the left of you. As someone whose grandfather literally spent years as a POW in a Nazi camp, I think you're being really gross.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So catching up on the drama, FizFashizzle isn't posting nazi poo poo, yes you can be intimately familiar with neonazi language and posting as I for one am contributing to a right wing studies project right now and ready t_d and /pol/ nearly daily for example, and ribs absolutely should not be boiled unless you are brine boiling (brine boiling broiling?) them, that's good poo poo right there

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

So catching up on the drama, FizFashizzle isn't posting nazi poo poo, yes you can be intimately familiar with neonazi language and posting as I for one am contributing to a right wing studies project right now and ready t_d and /pol/ nearly daily for example, and ribs absolutely should not be boiled unless you are brine boiling (brine boiling broiling?) them, that's good poo poo right there

Do you literally use your knowledge to call for a "kristallnacht" of your enemies? I am guessing not.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Majorian posted:

Feel free, go nuts! I think you'll find that most leftists here don't have much patience with insane fringe theories about Obama either.

I got a laugh out of this. The far left is full of conspiracy loving idiots just like the far right. People in these very threads peddle misinformation, revisionist history, and straight up lies all the time. Very few of them get called for it. You're one of the few who do it when you see it. Thank you for pushing back against the "obama did nothing for LQBTQ rights" bullshit currently going on.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

yronic heroism posted:

Do you literally use your knowledge to call for a "kristallnacht" of your enemies? I am guessing not.

"making a historical reference" == "being the same as the people you are referencing" is the dumbest loving poo poo will you please shut up about it, nobody is buying it

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I got a laugh out of this. The far left is full of conspiracy loving idiots just like the far right.

You're projecting again.

quote:

People in these very threads peddle misinformation, revisionist history, and straight up lies all the time.

Show me some examples please.

yronic heroism posted:

The dude didn't even known what "Kristallnacht" meant until someone pointed out that it wasn't what he was thinking of. Your argument is really flimsy and terrible, stop please.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I got a laugh out of this. The far left is full of conspiracy loving idiots just like the far right. People in these very threads peddle misinformation, revisionist history, and straight up lies all the time. Very few of them get called for it. You're one of the few who do it when you see it. Thank you for pushing back against the "obama did nothing for LQBTQ rights" bullshit currently going on.

"Bernie Sanders is in the employ of the Russian intelligence services" is one I've seen bandied about by many, many centrist Clinton dead enders, so let's not be so quick to assume that conspiratorial thinking begins and ends at the fringes, buddy.

In fact, Russia seems to be to blame for about anything going wrong anywhere. Louise Mensch, who got a column in the NYT, and has been recommended by such luminaries as Joy Ann Reid and Lawrence Tribe, believes that the Ferguson protests were directly funded by Russia.

So, yeah.

edit;

Let's also not forget the rapid embrace of Eric Garland by our liberal cognoscenti, whose takes include "Glenn Greenwald gets his paychecks in rubles" and "Snowden was a Russian intelligence operative."

selec fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 18, 2017

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

ClancyEverafter posted:

"making a historical reference" == "being the same as the people you are referencing" is the dumbest loving poo poo will you please shut up about it, nobody is buying it

Nope, when someone shows you what they are, believe them. Same principle I use with Trump.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

yronic heroism posted:

Nope, when someone shows you what they are, believe them. Same principle I use with Trump.

Shuuuuuuuuuuuuut uppppppppp nobody cares about a dipshit poster that nobody besides you likes. We don't like your favorite poster or your bizarro head canon about them. You're not convincing anybody, hell you're not even entertaining anybody. It's over, find a new hobby horse.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

ClancyEverafter posted:

" is in the employ of the Russian intelligence services" is one I've seen bandied about by many, many centrist Clinton dead enders, so let's not be so quick to assume that conspiratorial thinking begins and ends at the fringes, buddy.

In fact, Russia seems to be to blame for about anything going wrong anywhere. Louise Mensch, who got a column in the NYT, and has been recommended by such luminaries as Joy Ann Reid and Lawrence Tribe, believes that the Ferguson protests were directly funded by Russia.

So, yeah.

I didn't do that? The conspiracy people exist through the whole spectrum of politics. what matters is that their ideas do not gain a foothold and are combatted wherever they pop up. a lack of push back leads to their stupid ideas being adopted by a larger group, leading to further degradation of discourse. All of them need to be called out for their bulshit.

Majorian posted:

You're projecting again.

Show me some examples please.

The obama LGBTQ argument that is happening in the other thread is a good example. completely misleading talking points that have no basis in reality, but for some reason a decent number of people have totally accepted them as fact.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

ClancyEverafter posted:

Shuuuuuuuuuuuuut uppppppppp nobody cares about a dipshit poster that nobody besides you likes. We don't like your favorite poster or your bizarro head canon about them. You're not convincing anybody, hell you're not even entertaining anybody. It's over, find a new hobby horse.

Strange how people who say it's over find it really important to have the last word.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
tfw somebody you assumed was just ironically trolling starts to sound like they're actually saying what they think

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The obama LGBTQ argument that is happening in the other thread is a good example. completely misleading talking points that have no basis in reality, but for some reason a decent number of people have totally accepted them as fact.

I think you're being extremely uncharitable about those arguments. If I were going to put how I feel about Obama's LGBT record as succinctly as possible, it would be "Obama seems to care about LGBT issues, but this principle was tempered by his love for The Process and bipartisanship-as-goal rather than bipartisanship-as-tactic, two things which illustrate his (to my mind somewhat naive) love of this country and how it works, but also lead to some of the biggest failings of his presidency."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The obama LGBTQ argument that is happening in the other thread is a good example.

That's something that a lot of leftists, myself included, are calling out.

Please give us an example of a leftist spouting an anti-Clinton/Obama/whatever conspiracy theory and not getting called out on it by other leftists.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I didn't do that? The conspiracy people exist through the whole spectrum of politics. what matters is that their ideas do not gain a foothold and are combatted wherever they pop up. a lack of push back leads to their stupid ideas being adopted by a larger group, leading to further degradation of discourse. All of them need to be called out for their bulshit.

This is a good post by the way and HYL is my new favorite "headcanon" poster (as ClancyEverAfter and probably a lot of alt right types would unironically crawl out of lurking to say).

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Majorian posted:

That's not what you're doing. You're cynically using someone's dumb post as a cudgel against people to the left of you. As someone whose grandfather literally spent years as a POW in a Nazi camp, I think you're being really gross.

Really, this is using a cudgel? To me it's more of a feather duster, as would befit an alleged weak-kneed soft centrist.

yronic heroism posted:

People advocating for a "krystallnacht" are by definition Nazis? Why is that controversial?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

completely misleading talking points that have no basis in reality,

Like the Gay Marriage Act of 2015 or?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

Really, this is using a cudgel? To me it's more of a feather duster, as would befit an alleged weak-kneed soft centrist.

Use whatever metaphor you like, the point is, you're trying to use Fiz's dumb post to suggest that the left are on the road to outright Nazism. It's pretty distasteful, and you're not convincing anyone.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Majorian posted:

The dude didn't even known what "Kristallnacht" meant until someone pointed out that it wasn't what he was thinking of. Your argument is really flimsy and terrible, stop please.

"Well actually he got his Nazi Germany historical events wrong and promoted the idea of a violent anti-Semitic pogrom instead of a violent political purge. Everyone knows admirers of Nazism or elements of that kind of authoritarian politics are always impeccably versed in history and would never make such a rudimentary error."

Maybe it is you who should stop if that's actually your argument.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Majorian posted:

Use whatever metaphor you like, the point is, you're trying to use Fiz's dumb post to suggest that the left are on the road to outright Nazism. It's pretty distasteful, and you're not convincing anyone.

You are the one talking about the road. I just think it's hosed up in its own right not to call that poo poo out strongly. What is with this "oh he didn't MEAN anything by it" clutching of pearls?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

kristallnacht isn't "neonazi language" you goddamn moron
if I call louis XIV "the sun king" am I a french royalist?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

yronic heroism posted:

You are the one talking about the road. I just think it's hosed up in its own right not to call that poo poo out strongly.

there should be a bataan death march of your posts

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

You are the one talking about the road. I just think it's hosed up in its own right not to call that poo poo out strongly. What is with this "oh he didn't MEAN anything by it" clutching of pearls?

What we're actually objecting to is the insinuation that we're somehow Nazi defenders/sympathizers by saying, "He made a dumb post, and is an idiot," and moving on.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Barbe Rouge posted:

kristallnacht isn't "neonazi language" you goddamn moron
if I call louis XIV "the sun king" am I a french royalist?

Prime example of a "he literally doesn't have a Nazi Party membership card from 1945 or earlier" genre post.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

yronic heroism posted:

Prime example of a "he literally doesn't have a Nazi Party membership card from 1945 or earlier" genre post.

no, a prime example of "man turns on brain and reaches normal conclusion" unlike your brilliant piece of reasoning which goes something like "he knows a word! he must be a nazi!"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

yronic heroism posted:

this is the dachau of logic

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Majorian posted:

What we're actually objecting to is the insinuation that we're somehow Nazi defenders/sympathizers by saying, "He made a dumb post, and is an idiot," and moving on.

Again, this is the "locker room talk" defense. It's not like he said "oh this football game is a Holocaust" or some bullshit. He's explicitly referencing a Nazi political action to call for... political action. And this is in the context of a forum where people have literally wished for death on other posters, called for people to intimidate their "centrist" Democratic representatives/supporters with guns, etc. But we in D&D don't like to talk about that and would rather dunk on Hillary's book tour or some other bread and circuses.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

Again, this is the "locker room talk" defense.

Mmmm nope. It's, "Calling him an idiot and moving on does not mean we agree with him or are defending him."

quote:

And this is in the context of a forum where people have literally wished for death on other posters

The most egregious examples of which tend to come from Clintonistas, like Effectronica.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Majorian posted:

Mmmm nope. It's, "Calling him an idiot and moving on does not mean we agree with him or are defending him."

The most egregious examples of which tend to come from Clintonistas, like Effectronica.

I am going to backup Majorian in this and say that guy was most likely just a huge idiot/rear end in a top hat and should be ignored. That kind of poo poo should be called out on all sides, and many here have.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Majorian posted:

Hmm, do you ever stop trying to get the last word? Even in discussions you want to stop?

Mike Pence said he couldn't defend the access Hollywood tape too. But guess what?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

yronic heroism posted:

Hmm, do you ever stop trying to get the last word?

:ironicat:

Everyone else is willing to let this go, even Loam. One poster made a very bad post (which was edited to be less bad right away), almost no one saw it, and everyone here agrees the unedited version is a very bad thing to say.

To you, this means all leftists on this board agree with the post. You are delusional.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

yronic heroism posted:

Hmm, do you ever stop trying to get the last word? Even in discussions you want to stop?

Mike Pence said he couldn't defend the access Hollywood tape too. But guess what?

you're not helping yourself here, and i'm the one that started this whole conversation. You have turned something that started as "why was this, and behavior like it ignored" to "this behavior is ultimate proof that all leftists are nazis. People mistook that as my original argument, and I attempted to clarify that it was not my argument. Then you came in here like "hold my beer".

Please stop.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

TFW you're even more stubborn than dirt

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

WampaLord posted:

To you, this means all leftists on this board agree with the post. You are delusional.

I never said that. But it is weird as hell that Kilroy (who has wished death on other posters) felt the need to "well actually" my initial post.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Calibanibal posted:

TFW you're even more stubborn than dirt

I think yronic is the person you all thought/think I am. The centrist unable to be self critical and more interested in attacking than a dialogue.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

yronic heroism posted:

I never said that. But it is weird as hell that Kilroy (who has wished death on other posters) felt the need to "well actually" my initial post.

yronic heroism posted:

Hmm, do you ever stop trying to get the last word?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
This is some remarkably fast mask-slippage on yronic's part.

Potato Salad posted:

Didn't know this thread existed, is this where I tell lefties who attack the Obamas with fringe theories that they are neither original nor clever?

If you like, but there are also plenty of other threads where you can get mad about people daring to criticize Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
My galaxy brain take on this is that yronic heroism is a deep cover leftist doing his best to discredit centrism

• Locked thread