Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

nickmeister posted:

I was under the impression TYT wasn't making those sweet ad bucks anymore, either. Which is why they're constantly begging for money.

Also, idk if anyone here is aware of "Bunty King" on Twitter. But he's a big time useful idiot for Nazis, etc. Destiny got him on to talk for two hours. And he's worse than I imagined. The best stuff is in the first half hour, but it's all "gold" as far as this thread is concerned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvT44vgiRn0

Just saw this myself. This dude doesn't seem as scummy as the typical nimrod that Destiny has on his channel, but he seems incredibly dumb/naïve all the same.

- People like Sargon should be forgiven for primarily focusing on SJWs because they're "young" (Sargon is like 41 :lol: )
- You can't blame people for being smitten by douchebags like Richard Spencer because they're just so tired of POLITICAL CORRECTNESS
- Many people who are considered to be racist can't actually be racist because they were very polite and friendly when they spoke to Bunty
- Why do libtards complain about people saying Merry Christmas anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Oh, how could I forget one of the first hot takes he had. That liberals just lost the ability to do "comedy" to conservatives. What does "comedy" include? Apparently the ability to constantly yell "human being" over and over again. :waycool:

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Mr Interweb posted:

Just saw this myself. This dude doesn't seem as scummy as the typical nimrod that Destiny has on his channel, but he seems incredibly dumb/naïve all the same.

- People like Sargon should be forgiven for primarily focusing on SJWs because they're "young" (Sargon is like 41 :lol: )
- You can't blame people for being smitten by douchebags like Richard Spencer because they're just so tired of POLITICAL CORRECTNESS
- Many people who are considered to be racist can't actually be racist because they were very polite and friendly when they spoke to Bunty

Before I watched this video, by reading his tweets, I think he's in a kind of liberal "bubble." He seems to be under the impression that these Nazi fucks aren't a real threat. Montreal seems like a pretty chill place, especially compared to many places in the States. So, on the one the hand, I guess I can understand why he is the way he is. But on the other hand, this is how babbies think. What's this fucker's excuse? Too much weed? LOL!

Also LOL about the Christmas thing. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone on "the left" getting legitimately offended at "Merry Christmas." That's something the right made up. Mostly, it's just a way for businesses to hedge their bets and sell poo poo to as many people as possible.

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh, how could I forget one of the first hot takes he had. That liberals just lost the ability to do "comedy" to conservatives. What does "comedy" include? Apparently the ability to constantly yell "human being" over and over again. :waycool:

"Remember when we could say human being and it was okay?"

"Yeah, but it we were wrong."

“... wow, this conversation is so chill! *laughs maniacally*"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

nickmeister posted:

Also LOL about the Christmas thing. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone on "the left" getting legitimately offended at "Merry Christmas."

I never really got legit offended, but growing up Jewish shows you how much everyone assume that everyone else in America is Christian by default. As a kid, when store clerks would say Merry Christmas to me, I would reply with "And Happy Chanukah to you!"

Happy Holidays is a nice way to say "enjoy the season" without leaving anyone out. I'm not angry when I hear Merry Christmas these days, and I usually just say the same in response because I get the spirit of it.

More weird/offensive to me were sports teams that I was a part of praying to Jesus before games and me just kind of sitting there uncomfortably silent.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

nickmeister posted:

Also LOL about the Christmas thing. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone on "the left" getting legitimately offended at "Merry Christmas." That's something the right made up. Mostly, it's just a way for businesses to hedge their bets and sell poo poo to as many people as possible.

The funny thing is that if you hear Fox News, the whole "Happy Holidays" thing was a form of social engineering by evil libruls when it was in fact most likely just concocted by a bunch of suits because they didn't to piss anyone off who wasn't Christian.

And honestly, the Merry Christmas thing doesn't even bother me right now, mostly because Christmas as it currently is, is so far away from whatever the gently caress modern day conservatives think Christmas was like when Jesus was born.

RatEarth
Aug 7, 2017

I didn't say that.
but it'd be funny if I did
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPbbwkQr-II
Local alt-right man pepper sprays self for fun, profit.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
So this just turned up in the IoSM thread.

and why is our twitter hero asking for... a logical reason that genocide is bad? Well,as far as i can tell, it has something to do with Mouthy Buddha, who recently posted this on his channel.

Which is a 7 minute video claiming he's not a fascist followed by a plug for his 45 MINUTE unedited footage of him explaining how he just 'got too deep into the alt-right' and how he 'can't help but be an unthinking racist aware of IQ/racial statistics.' How he 'hates that I'm like that'. Y'know, meanwhile not in any way taking down any of his videos or actually examining his biases or ideas in any meaningful way. Guess it's too much to expect a man to stop living off the alt-right dollar right away, especially when he does this full-time.

Granted, this may have something to do with Youtube crackdowns. He's accusing some people of trying to take supporters of his Patreon as well, although I don't think there's any evidence to support that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Well he did produce actual honest to god nazi propaganda.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

Well he did produce actual honest to god nazi propaganda.

But he also made a 30 second long rebuttal in the same video!

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Has anyone told these people that "IQ" is largely bullshit anyway?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But the only self worth they have is their skin color, cargo cult masculinity, and a $19.99 pdf certificate from an internet IQ test that tells them they're a smart genius person.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

nickmeister posted:

A lot of alt-right shitlords and their alt-lite counterparts strike me as the type of people who sincerely post the Rick and Morty IQ copypasta with no sense of irony whatsoever.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Belief in the value of IQ correlates positively with racism because both are founded on the concept of unearned personal value by accident of birth, and both represent potential rather than accomplishment.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

nickmeister posted:

They believe in IQ specifically because at some subconscious level they hold racist beliefs about human intelligence.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Thanks thread, for giving me an excuse to post my favourite ultimate_ironic_fail.jpg:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

MiddleOne posted:

They believe in IQ specifically because at some subconscious level they hold racist beliefs about human intelligence.

I'm a bi-racial trans POC and have been told more than once that the IQ test I took must have been invalid, since it couldn't be high.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Zenithe posted:

Thanks thread, for giving me an excuse to post my favourite ultimate_ironic_fail.jpg:

Is that from that study where the guy's "IQ test" is a reaction time test, because reaction time equals faster processing speed equals smarter?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Goon Danton posted:

Is that from that study where the guy's "IQ test" is a reaction time test, because reaction time equals faster processing speed equals smarter?

I don't think so. The reason it's funny is because the person who made the graph clearly doesn't know how IQ is measured.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Is there a comprehensive rebuttal to the alt right/race realist IQ stuff? I’ve read enough over the years to know it’s bollocks but it’s be satisfying to read or watch someone tearing it to shreds.

Every time Stefan Molyneux blithely talks about the flow of people from a “high IQ” country to a “low IQ” country I have to go for an angry walk.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I haven't read it, but The Mismeasure of Man by Stephen Jay Gould usually comes up in that context.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Is there a comprehensive rebuttal to the alt right/race realist IQ stuff? I’ve read enough over the years to know it’s bollocks but it’s be satisfying to read or watch someone tearing it to shreds.

Every time Stefan Molyneux blithely talks about the flow of people from a “high IQ” country to a “low IQ” country I have to go for an angry walk.

From the bad place but pretty good rebuttal of our friend Stefan: https://www.reddit.com/r/skeptic/comments/6j48nc/debunk_race_realism/

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3oUqKUx2o0

I'm kind of amazed more people aren't skeptical of anything that is used with the express purpose of proving one person is naturally superior to another with no account for class or environment. But, our whole society is driven by people going through an education process that has no desire to educate but rather continually tests them to see which job (class) they should end up in while pretending everyone has an equal shot and circumstances - meritocracy!

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 18, 2017

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Here are two good articles by several psychologists that were written after Sam Harris brought Charles Murray, of "The Bell Curve," on his podcast. There's also this review of the Bell Curve by Stephen Jay Gould.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

An hour-long video assessing and refuting "The Bell Curve." Takedown starts here

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zenithe posted:

Literally the opposite of what’s actually happening to global IQ scores.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Zenithe posted:

I don't think so. The reason it's funny is because the person who made the graph clearly doesn't know how IQ is measured.

Found it! Warning, Daily Mail link. Are we becoming more STUPID? IQ scores are decreasing - and some experts argue it's because humans have reached their intellectual peak

quote:

Westerns have lost 14 IQ points on average since the Victorian age, according to a study published by the University of Amsterdam last year.

Jan te Nijenhuis thinks this could be because intelligent women tend to have less children than women who are not as clever, The Huffington Post reported.

The perceived link between IQ and fertility is a very contentious one.

Dr Nijenhuis studied the results of 14 intelligence studies conducted between 1884 and 2004 to come to his conclusion.

Each study measured peoples' reaction times - how long they took to press a button after being prompted.

It is claimed that reaction time mirrors mental processing speed - so it reflects intelligence.

They found that visual reaction times averaged 194 milliseconds in the late 19th Century, but in 2004, they had increased to 275 milliseconds.

This would suggest that people have become less intelligent, they said.

More and worse in the link.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Thanks for the links guys, exactly what I was looking for.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

do they ever bring up the obvious difficulties in terms of how reaction times are measured a hundred years ago vs today or

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

boner confessor posted:

do they ever bring up the obvious difficulties in terms of how reaction times are measured a hundred years ago vs today or

If by "changes in measurement" you mean "youth culture ruining kids these days with their saggy pants and their beep boop phone games," then absolutely.

quote:

Tests carried out in 1980 and in 2008 showed that the average 14-year-old was two IQ points cleverer in 1980, according to a study published in 2009.

Scientists found that performance dropped the most dramatically in teenagers in the upper half of the intelligence scale, The Telegraph reported.

Brighter teens who took part in the study in 2008 were on average six IQ points less intelligent than their counterparts tested 28 years earlier.

Professor Fynn said the results could be the result of less intelligent youth culture.

He used data gathered in IQ tests on UK children and found that children aged between five and 10 saw their IQs increase by half a point per year over three decades.

'Other studies have shown how pervasive teenage youth culture is, and what we see is parents' influence on IQ slowly diminishing with age,' he said.

'...What we know is that youth culture is now more visually orientated around computer games than they are in terms of reading and holding conversations.'

Seriously the article is incredible, read the whole thing

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

boner confessor posted:

i don't see how any of that would be relevant to the person's goal of affirming things they already believe

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fun fact: the Flynn effect was named by the 90s’ favorite racists Herrnstein and Murray.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Mr Interweb posted:

To be fair, if you insist on happy holidays, that is just as stupid as people losing their poo poo over people saying happy holidays. Most people I know are atheists and we still say "Merry Christmas" or in this case "God Jul" to everyone. Even in the US it is mostly a consumerist holiday so who gives a gently caress either way.

EDIT:

If they do, not that they do.

Midig fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 18, 2017

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Midig posted:

To be fair, people that insist on happy holidays are just as stupid as people losing their poo poo over people saying happy holidays. Most people I know are atheists and we still say "Merry Christmas" or in this case "God Jul" to everyone. Even in the US it is mostly a consumerist holiday so who gives a gently caress either way.

The only people in the US that actually give a gently caress are the Right Wing. The left and everyone else are content to say whatever they feel like and not get hung up on it, as far as I've experienced.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Midig posted:

To be fair, people that insist on happy holidays are just as stupid as people losing their poo poo over people saying happy holidays. Most people I know are atheists and we still say "Merry Christmas" or in this case "God Jul" to everyone. Even in the US it is mostly a consumerist holiday so who gives a gently caress either way.

racist white people

it has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with not acknowledging other cultures and races.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Midig posted:

To be fair, people, if insist on happy holidays, are just as stupid as people losing their poo poo over people saying happy holidays. Most people I know are atheists and we still say "Merry Christmas" or in this case "God Jul" to everyone. Even in the US it is mostly a consumerist holiday so who gives a gently caress either way.

EDIT:

If they do, not that they do.

They don't. Like others have said, "Happy Holidays" is mostly an attempt by companies to get non-Christians to get into the shopping spirit. The conservative angermind got it mixed up with a push to stop having religious displays on public property (usually nativity scenes, not Christmas trees) and created the War on Christmas narrative. The atheist movement that was pushing the public display issues has mostly either moved on to focusing on tangible harm issues (like gay conversion camps) or joined up with their old foes in the Trumpite brigades, but the general idea of godless heathens wanting to outlaw saying "Merry Christmas" continues regardless.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Second thoughts then. Nothing is as moronic as the idea that there is a war on Christmas. It's an obnoxious and all consuming holiday that starts early and never goes away (at least in the US based on what I know).

Midig fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 18, 2017

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Midig posted:

Second thoughts then. Nothing is as moronic as the idea that there is a war on Christmas. It's an obnoxious and all consuming holiday that starts early and never goes away (at least in the US based on what I know).

That's the reactionary way. The war is always on the most conspicuous markers of 'their way of life' :kingsley: . They wouldn't be able to push a reactionary narrative around something small, a big one like 'they're taking your Christmas away' is far easier to sell to the kinda people they're fishing for.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah it starts on november 1, the day after halloween, and takes a break for american thanksgiving in late november. then it really cranks up on december 1. it's horrible

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Which should be opposed by actual observant Western Christians, as the time to start thinking about Christmas is well defined as the beginning of Advent (or Saint Andrew's Day, whichever is earlier). Eastern Christians get a pass to start a bit earlier.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Which should be opposed by actual observant Western Christians, as the time to start thinking about Christmas is well defined as the beginning of Advent (or Saint Andrew's Day, whichever is earlier). Eastern Christians get a pass to start a bit earlier.

I kinda would like to see a resurgence in Roundhead-style Puritanism, just so I can watch the Christmas Warriors deal with fighting a new front against people named The-Lord-Smites-All-Damned-Sinners-To-Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Does anyone follow Michael Wood Jr. on Twitter or has seen/read anything from him? He's a big advocate of police reform and I think it's good stuff. But lately it seems like he's turned into a petty douche. Also, he says weird things sometimes. For instance, he was bitching at TYT (apparently he's salty because they wouldn't give him a show or something) about their supposedly poor coverage of a recent killing carried out by police. The cop who shot the man in the back claimed he threatened the officers with a knife. But this was proven to be bullshit by the body cams. Anyway, Wood Jr. claims that the knife was in the video, and to do "two seconds of research," but there's no knife, so WTF.

• Locked thread