Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It wasn't super clear but I think he was probably referring to Urban Guerrila's ability rather than Soft & Wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

Not sure why we would want to know that about Urban Guerrilla at that point. I think he was talking about the bubbles

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It wasn't super clear but I think he was probably referring to Urban Guerrila's ability rather than Soft & Wet.

nah, he specifically refers to a 'line' is vibrating at a super high speed, making it appear as a sphere as it depicts a picture of a bubble. urban guerilla's ability didn't have anything that would fit that description at all.

i think it might be a small hint as to some kind of weird poo poo in the future to be revealed

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

I am sorry but you are wrong.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Moltrey posted:

you can tell Poor Tom isn't the main villain because he's ugly as sin

my part 8 wish is for holly to be healed and then her and caato have a fight with the stands they've both teased to have with josuke vs jobin in the background

please give me mom and son fights

What kind of stand was Holly hinted to have? I don't remember.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's not much but iirc she clearly notices Paisley Park before Yasuho did, just standing in her shadow, I think she even has a thought bubble about it?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

yeah actually they will posted:

I am sorry but you are wrong.

On a re-read, yeh.

Though it's not like Josuke is known for storing things in the bubbles or anything!!

The only thing we know about Holly's stand is that she has one because she can see Paisley Park.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Holly also knew of Kira having Killer Queen and roped him into helping her with surgery so she's in the know with Stands and I hope her's is OP

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I've just finished chapter 12 of Jojolion and I'm not sure I'm getting into it yet. Maybe my expectations are a bit absurd after SBR, and it's not got the charm of Diamond is Unbreakable.

Please advise. I want to love all the Jojos.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
buddy i just finished 70 chapters of JoJolion and I still dont know if I like it.

all i can say is keep reading and let araki take you on his wild ride

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Bug Squash posted:

I've just finished chapter 12 of Jojolion and I'm not sure I'm getting into it yet. Maybe my expectations are a bit absurd after SBR, and it's not got the charm of Diamond is Unbreakable.

It's got really weird pacing up until the Higashikatas get introduced and then it becomes a bit more structured.

It still mostly consists of loose ends, though.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Bug Squash posted:

Don't expect it to be like any other part and just go along for the ride.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bug Squash posted:

Carry on with it, it hits some really high peaks and has some real middling parts. It takes a while to kick in though for sure.

It really is nothing like DiU at its core, despite sharing lots of elements/names.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Just as I think the mysteries are starting to wrap up... WHELP, here's a new batch of suspicious poo poo! Doctor conspiracy? Sure. Josuke's bubbles are actually string? Sure! Lay it on me! I just hope it all gets resolved in the end. Also, I'd like to see the ice motorcycle maid in action again, she was rad.

It may just be that Araki is building this up similar to the mystery of Josuke's origin: lots of hints, several rockpeople who clearly have been involved with past events somehow, a new big mystery (what do the rockmen want to do with the new rokaka?). I wouldn't be surprised if we get another climactic showdown with a simultaneous flashback, explaining why the rockmen attacked Holly (com'oooooon, no way that wasn't Urban Guerilla's doing) and what the connection to the Higashikatas is.

And why not, Damo's fight was absolute top-class JoJo in every way. Mysteries solved, rad explosions, body horror, boyfriend murder, torture with 500 yen bills, DAMO.

If this part sticks the landing, this is gonna be Top 4 for sure

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Torquemadras posted:

Just as I think the mysteries are starting to wrap up... WHELP, here's a new batch of suspicious poo poo! Doctor conspiracy? Sure. Josuke's bubbles are actually string? Sure! Lay it on me! I just hope it all gets resolved in the end. Also, I'd like to see the ice motorcycle maid in action again, she was rad.

It may just be that Araki is building this up similar to the mystery of Josuke's origin: lots of hints, several rockpeople who clearly have been involved with past events somehow, a new big mystery (what do the rockmen want to do with the new rokaka?). I wouldn't be surprised if we get another climactic showdown with a simultaneous flashback, explaining why the rockmen attacked Holly (com'oooooon, no way that wasn't Urban Guerilla's doing) and what the connection to the Higashikatas is.

And why not, Damo's fight was absolute top-class JoJo in every way. Mysteries solved, rad explosions, body horror, boyfriend murder, torture with 500 yen bills, DAMO.

If this part sticks the landing, this is gonna be Top 4 for sure

This is Araki's first mystery type plot, and he's historically not good at remembering details. I expect the ending will be good and emotionally satisfying but there will be things he forgets to resolve by the end.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The villains could definitely have done with significantly more permanence than they've had. All of Damo's crew were interesting sorts on paper but they all got merked and that was that, really. The twins were trash, Aisho didn't get enough screentime either. Yotsuyu was better but he died too soon and Damo delivered perfectly but generally speaking, everyone is a temporary roadblock and only Jobin has been a consistent one and while he's #1 suspect for main villain, he's not exactly waving many flags to declare it.

We're definitely getting dots to join things together and probably getting closer to the core mystery but it also feels like we could have another 50 chapters too.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Moltrey posted:

Holly also knew of Kira having Killer Queen and roped him into helping her with surgery so she's in the know with Stands and I hope her's is OP

I want it to go absolutely harder than Hato's Stand reveal, even if that's a tall order.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I feel like Part 8 is going to wind up with a lot of wasted potential. The mystery is kind of all over the place and none of the villains are interesting at all. I really liked the twin who had the ability to change what one of his arms was made of by touching something with the other arm, but now I can't remember what their business with Kaera was. Even Caato's mysterious history of justified child murder has been answered so it's def in a weird spot. Still, that doesn't change the cool characters and that the flashback arc was rad so I'm really just like a nicer sunk-cost fallacy at this point, wanting to see how it wraps up.

At this point we've learned who murdered Laura Palmer and now we're in this weird Season 2 period where everything's a weird fog until some more wheels get spinning again

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
So is Baby Herman here the same baby that washed up on the beach that Yasuho read about?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As of now, everything that Karera says is actually bullshit and has nothing to suggest she's not making it up and what she does say invalidates the entire reason why what ends up in Josuke's creation had to happen.

hatty posted:

So is Baby Herman here the same baby that washed up on the beach that Yasuho read about?

I guess we'll find out but probably not because Araki forgot™

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/higetenshi/status/920609041197309952

sick custom model

olive not allowed to look at this blessed image

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 18, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
did we ever learn who the black hair'd person josuke had flashes of near the very beginning was? or did araki forget that too?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Moltrey posted:

did we ever learn who the black hair'd person josuke had flashes of near the very beginning was? or did araki forget that too?

I feel like it was supposed to be someone we've already seen but Araki redesigned them between the flashback and the actual appearance.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

We've not learned it yet. I would hedge my bets on prototype Yagiyama at this point. Yagiyama says he was the one who killed you (referring to Josuke as Josefumi) but Yagiyama actually wasn't the person who did it, no one did technically and he wasn't the one fighting Josefumi. It would make sense that person who claims to have killed Josefumi would be the person Josuke remembers first up with a view of the pine/wall eyes.

Maybe JoJolion is actually a subtle means of improving the Japanese birthrate by showing that even ugly fat dudes or old man babies can have relationships with models or attractive and successful women. :thunk: (Joshu is the outlier in that theory)

Also I asked Kewl if the Half Kira, Half Josuke line was a correct translation and it is, so either Araki messed up and wrote Josuke instead of Josefumi or it's a really strange line in general.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 18, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

olive not allowed to look at this blessed image

:smug:

Also holy poo poo, string bubbles. The most interesting reveal in months

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Soft and Wet has a weird power creep because it actually has full understanding of string theory as well as tightly compressed orbs of golden rotation and can manipulate all that science mumbo jumbo at will :tinfoil:

Seriously though, maybe this is Araki bringing some Spin back into the mix too?

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
how can bubble be made of cord if bubble has seam

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
all the holes bored into their bodies were instantly healed huh

well i guess i'm used to that in jojos

baby man is the second uggo rockman that can corral hot chicks

Relin fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 18, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
This weirdo seemingly unnecessary reveal about string bubbles definitely feels like the spin is gonna be woven into the mix again

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Nina posted:

This weirdo seemingly unnecessary reveal about string bubbles definitely feels like the spin is gonna be woven into the mix again

and I Love It

string theory bubbles makes stealing physical concepts like friction work better for me

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Idgi how are string bubbles and the spin related?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

We've not learned it yet. I would hedge my bets on prototype Yagiyama at this point. Yagiyama says he was the one who killed you (referring to Josuke as Josefumi) but Yagiyama actually wasn't the person who did it, no one did technically and he wasn't the one fighting Josefumi. It would make sense that person who claims to have killed Josefumi would be the person Josuke remembers first up with a view of the pine/wall eyes.

Yagiyama sounds like a safe bet. Also, I kinda hazily remember Yagiyama finding the injured Apex Brothers, climbing a cliff and looking at Josefumi & Kira some distance away, as they start their rokoka shenanigans - and then the earthquake hits. So he could both conceivably be the person who saw them buried and "die", and the person that newly fused Josuke last remembers. And then Yagiyama does and brags to all the other rockhumans that he actually killed them, when all he did was watch at most.

Maybe. Doesn't really matter THAT much. Nice to think of it like that, though.

Speaking of rock-induced deaths, what was up with Johnny dying in the earlier flashback, anyhow? He did that whole equivalent exchange thing with the corpse to spare his child from the stone disease. Then, BAM, rock on head. Now what does that boulder have to do with anything? That whole curse of the Higashikatas is still very much relevant, so I guess there's still a good chance of this being cleared up... Maybe. Lots of Maybes.

Whatevs. I'll admit I didn't really like JoJolion at the start, especially compared to the phenomenal starting race of Steel Ball Race, but it's really found its groove. I will continue to believe in Araki :colbert:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Idgi how are string bubbles and the spin related?

it's all theorizing right now but the idea would be that some inherited spin ability would be what let's him somehow innately 'spin' weird little strands to make them form bubbles to do stuff with

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I think discussion moved past this but I actually paused on jojolion for a while and started up again right around when damo showed up

I wasn't sure how much I liked it for a while. Now I quite possibly like it more than pt 4, my original favorite

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Jojolion's my favorite part too

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've kinda stop-started with Jojolion a couple of times now. When I read through individual fights or arcs and such I enjoy it but there's something about it that makes me start falling off it. A lot of it is that I really value a good supporting cast and while I think Jojolion has that it just doesn't use them enough, and I think at least reading monthly Araki's style of mystery story doesn't really work for me.

I'm planning to just read it all through from the beginning once it has ended, which should hopefully alleviate some of my problems with it but I don't think it'll end up one of my favourite parts.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I wonder of JJL is the new VA and the cast is actually super awesome but the translation hurts them.

I mean, it's not as bad obviously, but I do wonder how it would read with a primo translation.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Even with the translation maybe not being perfect I still think the supporting cast comes off as generally likeable and enjoyable. They're just not as important as I want them to be.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I actually have no idea what's important in Jojolion. Finding a branch that will produce a fruit that might potentially make Jou~suke's half-mother (who he barely knows) better??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah after remembering his origin, Josuke comes to realize that Holly is the only connection he has to his past selves, it's also what Josefumi and Kira lost their lives for so he's taken it upon himself to save her. Remember like one of the first chapters of JoJolion where Josuke comes to realize how alone he is in the world, after a major tragedy like the 2012 earthquakes, no one ever came forward looking for him at a time where everyone is trying to catch up with their loved ones to see if they're alright, so having a connection with someone like Holly is really meaningful for him in ways that Yasuho or Norisuke caring about him can't really fill