Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lil Devil
Feb 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SeXReX posted:

last weekend there was a legit anti-bikelane "protest march"

20 people showed up, not including any of the people who planned it or any of the people listed as speakers on the event page.

Contrast this to NYC, where the hasidic jews have such power and sway that they actually got the city to remove a bike lane that went through "their" neighborhood on public streets. The reason for the demand? The women who rode through were dressed immodestly. Municipal governments are so corrupt.

http://gothamist.com/2009/12/01/city_to_remove_14_blocks_of_bedford.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
Someone went into labor on my streetcar this morning when we were like two stops away from the strip of University that has a fuckton of hospitals, including the one with the huge OB/GYN unit.

Still counts as a gross, if heartwarming, story because her water broke all over cloth seat and the floor :v:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Live close to Chicago and used to go into the city for shows and stuff when I was young- one time I was standing on an L-train platform and this old lady was like "hey kid you know people jump onto these tracks to commit suicide all the time; it's terrible...because it fucks up everyone's commute"

was like huh that's kinda cold

until it happened to me on a train (into the city, not on the L) and totally hosed up my commute/day- dunno if it was a suicidal person or just an accident

felt kinda bad but also undeniably felt at least a little "oh come on goddammit buddy"

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The few times I've taken mass transit turned out to be boring and uneventful. I must be doing something wrong. Or right.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

SeXReX posted:

last weekend there was a legit anti-bikelane "protest march"

20 people showed up, not including any of the people who planned it or any of the people listed as speakers on the event page.

Lol at those signs.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

City Pages talked to the guy who set up the protest. It was a always intended as a joke at the expense of anyone who showed up.

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

My son was on the way to uni on a train when some older woman armed with religious pamphlets sits beside him.
She sees him reading his physics textbook and strikes up a conversation about his reading matter.
He's too polite to tell her off so he engages. She feigns interest, and then turns on the religion, "Well, I'm sure that's all very useful, but have you ever considered letting the Lord into your life? Blah, blah, blah, you should take these pamphlets, blah, blah, they'll help enlighten you to the spiritual that can't be explained by science, blah, blah, blah..."
Him: "No, thank you. I have to study for an exam."
Her: "But, you should read these. It will do you good. Young people need the Lord in their lives."
Repeat for several cycles.
Finally, he shuts her down for good, "Sorry, but I only read non-fiction."

That's my son, but my oldest daughter is far less polite.
She was sitting beside some timid college girl when some harridan festooned with crosses, rosaries, and other religious tchotchkes approaches and starts haranguing the meek girl with religious tripe.
The hag gets progressively louder and strident while the girl shrinks ever smaller in her seat.
My daughter starts laughing at the lunacy, causing the nut to turn attention her way.
The hag starts yelling at my daughter, calling her a Jezebel and starts shaking her beads in my daughter's face.
My daughter serenely takes the diatribe, waits for the train to arrive at a station, snatches the cross and beads out of the hag's hand and hucks them out the train doors.
The hag scuttles after her junk, the doors close, and the train leaves her gesticulating angrily.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
in this moment your children are euphoric :rolleye:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
It was me. I'm the hag.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

My son was on the way to uni on a train when some older woman armed with religious pamphlets sits beside him.
She sees him reading his physics textbook and strikes up a conversation about his reading matter.
He's too polite to tell her off so he engages. She feigns interest, and then turns on the religion, "Well, I'm sure that's all very useful, but have you ever considered letting the Lord into your life? Blah, blah, blah, you should take these pamphlets, blah, blah, they'll help enlighten you to the spiritual that can't be explained by science, blah, blah, blah..."
Him: "No, thank you. I have to study for an exam."
Her: "But, you should read these. It will do you good. Young people need the Lord in their lives."
Repeat for several cycles.
Finally, he shuts her down for good, "Sorry, but I only read non-fiction."

That's my son, but my oldest daughter is far less polite.
She was sitting beside some timid college girl when some harridan festooned with crosses, rosaries, and other religious tchotchkes approaches and starts haranguing the meek girl with religious tripe.
The hag gets progressively louder and strident while the girl shrinks ever smaller in her seat.
My daughter starts laughing at the lunacy, causing the nut to turn attention her way.
The hag starts yelling at my daughter, calling her a Jezebel and starts shaking her beads in my daughter's face.
My daughter serenely takes the diatribe, waits for the train to arrive at a station, snatches the cross and beads out of the hag's hand and hucks them out the train doors.
The hag scuttles after her junk, the doors close, and the train leaves her gesticulating angrily.

STDH.txt is that way!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Those people tend to leave you alone when you say "Sorry, I'm already [specific denomination]" like Catholic, Lutheran, Presbyterian, whatever.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

One time the Hasidic Jews in Brooklyn asked me if I was Jewish; I was in a hurry so I just laughed and said “Not lucky enough, unfortunately!”

I don’t know if he laughed or not.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Monkey Fracas posted:

Live close to Chicago and used to go into the city for shows and stuff when I was young- one time I was standing on an L-train platform and this old lady was like "hey kid you know people jump onto these tracks to commit suicide all the time; it's terrible...because it fucks up everyone's commute"

was like huh that's kinda cold

until it happened to me on a train (into the city, not on the L) and totally hosed up my commute/day- dunno if it was a suicidal person or just an accident

felt kinda bad but also undeniably felt at least a little "oh come on goddammit buddy"
tbf you can feel both compassion for lovely american mental health, capitalism, etc etc and someone having bad brains. and also for getting upset that they're also extremely selfish enough to gently caress over thousands of people, many of whom are poor working class and depend on getting to their lovely job on schedule and then get torn a new one by their boss for being late, etc etc. let alone the trauma for bus and train operators.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

stevewm posted:

I don't really live in a very rural area, (10,000+ pop city in South Indiana) but the nearest city with any sort of mass transit services is still over 80 miles away. (Indianapolis). There is an Amtrak train in another nearby city, but it is only serviced twice a week at 2AM. Driving is a necessity around here.

All the surrounding counties do run a public transportation service, but it is expensive. Just a few mile trip can easily cost $20+, assuming they will even serve you. It is mostly used by disabled people and seinors as they get a steeply discounted or free service.

Southern Indiana represent!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Xaris posted:

tbf you can feel both compassion for lovely american mental health, capitalism, etc etc and someone having bad brains. and also for getting upset that they're also extremely selfish enough to gently caress over thousands of people, many of whom are poor working class and depend on getting to their lovely job on schedule and then get torn a new one by their boss for being late, etc etc. let alone the trauma for bus and train operators.

Hundreds of thousands tyvm. We are big here.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
Me and about 3 other people just got kicked, repeatedly, by a tiny lady in a Backstreet Boys shirt who was on *something* but also strong enough to do pull-ups between two of the poles.

Oppression
Jan 16, 2004
Pillbug
This summer on the 14 in Mpls someone was clipping their toenails while playing music over their phone speaker. Almost seemed like a social experiment.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
That’s an every day occurrence on the 21

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
When I’d fake TRAX in Salt Lake to the U for classes I without fail on the way back had my train pass by the city library as it closed, meaning every homeless person in the city flooded on for one stop to head to the shelter. Nothing bad ever happened, just a lot of people who could’ve used some adequate mental health services.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Oppression posted:

This summer on the 14 in Mpls someone was clipping their toenails while playing music over their phone speaker. Almost seemed like a social experiment.

this is pretty much the most out-there thing that i've seen on a train in the uk. british trains generally just have an atmosphere of seething resentment rather than out-and-out insanity. i did have a guy freak and curse me out for daring to carry my bicycle up the escalator once but that's at least partially on me

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
I live in NYC. One time a mentally ill women was screaming about how she wasn’t pregnant and was beating her head against the window of the A train.

Some hood rat came from the back of the car, punched her in the face and rose her hands in triumph, expecting applause. Everyone was really upset with her and the crazy woman cried for a long time :(

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I was standing by the partition on the Tube, looking into the next carriage, and I saw an extremely pale, sweaty and disorientated guy in a mangy hoodie get on, grab one of the overhead handles, and proceed to vomit an astonishingly long stream of milky fluid directly into a baby pram next to him. A large shrieking match ensued, but I was getting off at the next stop anyway, so god knows what happened there.

Serious talk: I've heard a call for 'Inspector Sands to the control room' a few times in stations, which is UK train/tube station code for a fire/suspect package/bomb scare. Obviously nothing came of either occasion, but if you're in the UK and hear that in a station, just turn round and GTFO.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Matinee posted:

I was standing by the partition on the Tube, looking into the next carriage, and I saw an extremely pale, sweaty and disorientated guy in a mangy hoodie get on, grab one of the overhead handles, and proceed to vomit an astonishingly long stream of milky fluid directly into a baby pram next to him. A large shrieking match ensued, but I was getting off at the next stop anyway, so god knows what happened there.

Serious talk: I've heard a call for 'Inspector Sands to the control room' a few times in stations, which is UK train/tube station code for a fire/suspect package/bomb scare. Obviously nothing came of either occasion, but if you're in the UK and hear that in a station, just turn round and GTFO.

This post is very British

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Some normal looking 30-something office worker was standing near the subway doors and started SHRIEKING at the window out of nowhere. He was right next to us, and we held him and calmed him down. He couldn't remember anything, and walked off the train at the next stop. We told him to see a drat doctor. Stroke or mental break, I dunno.

The scariest part was how quickly the subway emptied around us when he started. People climbing over each other to each end of the train. Then someone hit the emergency brake and the driver came to the car only to yell at us for pulling it, and immediately assumed an older black couple on the car was the source of the commotion.

Matinee posted:

This is amazing.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Visited BC this weekend, rode the skytrain around, everyone was quite pleasant and only one part of it sort of vaguely smelled like urine. Good job Canada

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

One time I got slapped by a possible schizophrenic on an NY bus, but otherwise I've never seen any vomiting or pissing, on the bus or on the subway. Guess that makes me an outlier, or maybe I don't use public transit as often.

get that OUT of my face posted:

I went to grad school for one year in Binghamton, NY.

Go Bearcats

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Code Jockey posted:

Visited BC this weekend, rode the skytrain around, everyone was quite pleasant and only one part of it sort of vaguely smelled like urine. Good job Canada

Should have tried any bus that passes through / goes down DT East Hastings

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm sitting on the bus heading to a job interview sometime around Easter, and the bus line goes through the lovely part of town (down town East Hastings for any goons that know Vancouver). Anyways, a scraggly looking dude gets on the bus, and starts talking to a group of three teenagers in front of me. It goes something like this:

"Hey kids.... do you know why we celebrate Easter?"

"Uh... no."

"Well you see... two thousand years ago today... the Romans killed Jesus. They nailed him to a cross and left him to die in the desert sun. Do you know why they did that?"

"Uhhhhhh.... no...."

"Well, it was because Jesus was saying things that they didn't like. But three days later, Jesus wakes up in the cave he was buried in... to find himself changed into a woman."

And then the man walked off the bus, and out of my life. Got the job though.

Lmao

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
My favorite are the dumbasses who run to the bus as it's pulling away, and then get pissed, scream and kick/punch the bus as it leaves. As if it's the bus/driver at fault.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Drunk Tomato posted:

My favorite are the dumbasses who run to the bus as it's pulling away, and then get pissed, scream and kick/punch the bus as it leaves. As if it's the bus/driver at fault.

the best is when they're slowly shuffling towards it with zero hustle until the bus pulls away

in my city if you at least show some zip they'll wait a few seconds to let you on

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Drunk Tomato posted:

I like the reverse; people who quietly shuffle to the door to leave then start screaming and shouting as the bus pulls away.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The best by far are the people who just scream.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

The best by far are the people who just scream.

Once I was stuck in gridlock traffic for an hour, just in the same spot with no motion what so ever for one hour, and around the 45 minute mark an autistic dude on the bus began to scream and all I could think was "hell yeah man you and me both".

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Arrhythmia posted:

Once I was stuck in gridlock traffic for an hour, just in the same spot with no motion what so ever for one hour, and around the 45 minute mark an autistic dude on the bus began to scream and all I could think was "hell yeah man you and me both".

That's when you start yelling inflammatory things about the government and push the rest of the bus occupants into a howling fervor. Then the lot of you go and kick over the whole fuckin' apple cart.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Where I work and where I live are both pretty rural and separated by about 12 miles, but fantastically I can take the bus almost door-to-door. There's a group home in my neighborhood with a stop nearby, and the developmental disabilities center is one lot over from my job. I've gotten weird looks from the driver before... the bus is always completely full and 100% folks bound for the center. At $2/ride, it's a pretty decent way to commute.

However, that bus only hits the office park three times during the day; 830a, 1230p & 330p, which would be great if I worked a 7-hour day but I don't. Also, it takes about an hour to meander from stop to stop while I can make the drive in 20 minutes. I wish I could bike to work, but the rural 2-lane farm roads flanked with 00's and 10's housing developments are way over capacity and no cyclist would dare even try.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
One time in college a clearly intoxicated middle aged man got on the bus, took out a paper bag full of loose strike-anywhere matches and began forcibly thrusting fistfuls of them at nearby passengers. When he ran out of people willing to take them he opened a window and started throwing them at pedestrians, and eventually the driver threatened to call the cops and he ran away across campus.

Godspeed, strike anywhere matchstick man

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Last Chance posted:

And the bus just fuckin' drove right by me even as I tried to wave it down. WTF.
Reminds me of a couple of months ago when I got hosed over by two consecutive buses for same bus route. First bus just never came, and I'm sure of that because I was got to bus stop (the first of its route) 10 minutes early and hung around almost half an hour after it was supposed to rock up (it's a short route that only takes half an hour from one end to the other).

So eventually I decide to take a different bus to a shopping-centre near home, initially I intended to walk from there but as my normal bus runs through that shopping centre too, I decide to wait as next bus is scheduled for 10 minutes. 20 minutes later it rocks up but as it approaches the driver almost runs over a pedestrian walking across a marked crossing (he stops within a few feet of the guy), then, in his flustered state, the driver decides the best course of action is to floor it right past the stop, out of the shopping-centre carpark, and on his way to my destination. I was quite pissed off on that walk home.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Rozzbot posted:

I used to sit in the same seat at my train station nearly every morning.

One morning there was an enormous presumably human poo poo directly under the seat.

The concrete still has the stain several months later and I don't sit there anymore.

Ah well at least they got rid of the piece of poo poo on top of the seat

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Question: having only visited Philly a few times and mostly spent time in the suburbs, is there another transportation line besides SEPTA? Because someone earlier in the thread made a short post about how great Philly’s mass transit is and I had to laugh. SEPTA is the worst system I’ve ever seen.

Anyway, a short summary of my stories.

Chicago: a dude came around begging for money so he could pay his exit fare or something. Basically he needed a bus card. I was headed to the airport and didn’t need mine anymore, so I gave him mine and told him I had like ten dollars on it which should get him where he needs to go. He kinda looked at me confused and was like ‘uh...thanks I guess’ and then got off the train. I was confused why he didn’t seem to be happy with my donation, but whatever. Some older black gentleman walks up to me (only using his race to prove the old dude wasn’t being racist) and was like ‘son you did a good deed right there. He was asking for money to get food/booze/drugs instead of a ticket and you deflated his lie like that. We need more people like you out there’. I kind of agree with the older guy. Don’t lie if you need money, so gently caress em.

The rest are DC:

I vomited my guts out on the last yellow line train for the night on my 26th Birthday. Clearly I was wasted. And I kind of just looked at it while my friend who was taking care of me kinda just chatted up the three or four people on the car. Then I went out and peed in public in a small alcove at the station. I think a cop or security officer noticed something was up but my buddy distracted him and I got away with both of my horrible crimes.

Saw a woman jump in front of a late night red line when I was coming back to dc from out of town, as in I saw her do it. That’s a sad story and I’ve mentioned it in another thread so don’t want to go into details unless someone wants me to I guess.

Last story involved picking up my then girlfriend from union station and heading home. We stopped at some random stop for a long time, and we were wondering what was going on. The unusual part was the doors kept opening and closing, which is unusual for a metro pause. Well turns out this guy kept going in and out of the doors and yelling at the security at the station. Like he just kept going between the doors when they notification went off that the doors were closing. Kept hopping on and off, and switching cars. He eventually came to our car and I was like ‘hey girlfriend let’s switch cars ok?’ So we would avoid him if he was going to turn violent. He kept loving with the doors by staying in the doorway, and started yelling at security who was trying to escort him away. He had a bag with him too. He eventually got escorted away and we were on our way. Strangest thing.

Does Amtrak count as mass transit? I have a good story about that but will save it for later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SeXReX posted:

You'll notice most of these horror stories are from known broken-state California.

Where I live in San Diego County there is a bus line that no poo poo will take you 1-2+ hours to travel what you could have done in 10-15 minutes in a car because instead of just going down the main road it takes all kinds of serpentine paths through business parks and whatnot.

• Locked thread