Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

aBagorn posted:

e: ^ I mean there's no precedent in basketball yet but it seems to work in baseball

You just wait until more teams create youth academies, convince kids to join them and then to forgo the draft, and sign them as UDFAs to their G league team.

That's not how it works, you have to be eligible for at least one draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

morestuff posted:

That's not how it works, you have to be eligible for at least one draft.

I know that's not how it works...now.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Timeline on Mirotic isn't too catastrophic

https://mobile.twitter.com/chicagobulls/status/920698109407186945

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

BWV posted:

Desus and Mero own and only narcs dislike them.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

BWV posted:

Desus and Mero own and only narcs dislike them.

drat right

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jimmy they've gone through enough
https://twitter.com/CassidyHubbarth/status/920718926123798530

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

plz come back

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

morestuff posted:

Forcing dudes to spend a year in the G-League doesn't really seem like it'd make anybody happy. I'd rather they just rescind the rule completely or let the NCAA try to figure out how to make the sham less obvious

I mean, they can just not put in for the draft at 18 and wait until they go to college. I agree with you about the rule, but this is an improvement in that at least it offers a choice. You can either go to college or go to the G-League (if you are on the radar). I just hope you don't get guys harpooning their eligibility for college and then go undrafted.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Metapod posted:

I hope if they focus more on gleague they raise those players pay

Agreedo, the pay is kinda junk

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

I love that he does not even remotely try to fight off the giant poo poo-eating grin. I need several years of Jimmy Butler openly reveling in the misfortunes of the Chicago Bulls

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Best way to handle it I'd say would be a deferred salary that doesn't count against the Cap. While in the d-league a portion of your salary for your draft slot is deferred(lengthen the NBA draft and use it as the D-League draft as well, maybe after the second round you have no guaranteed NBA money or something)

You get ~100k per year, until you hit the NBA as like a first round pick(maybe more but split it out over draft slot or something)

And then let's say you spend 2 years in the d-league as a first round pick you are added to the main roster you are payed the difference between the amount you made in the d-league and the rookie slot over the remaining contract. While the cap number is just the number it would have been had they been there and split it like they usually do.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

plz come back
No he's ours now :saddowns:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Have to say a full salt Bill Simmons really is a true treat.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

How would Mark Wahlberg have handled that fight?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm very happy to have Jimmy Butler on my team and I can't wait to watch him play basketball in roughly six hours

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Doin go-karts then basketball-watchin, gonna be a great night :cheers:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I think a big question as to how much the NBA will try to muscle in on the NCAA's turf is whether a D-League team can be profitable and get an audience (rather than just being a faster way to train up prospects). I doubt it could compete with the actual NBA for viewers as effectively as college ball which has a somewhat different demographic and gets viewers based on college affiliation.

The best outcome imo would obviously be that the NCAA is found flagrantly in violation of labor laws and has to pay a zillion dollars of backpay to athletes and then shuts down.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

something that just siphons all the stars so college basketball becomes even more just 5 white dudes crisply chest passing around the perimeter then bricking an open shot as everyone silently, sagely nods on about how its the way its meant to be played would be real sweet

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

this is the first time I've seen this and I cannot stop laughing

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
If HS'ers can enter the draft again they should be allowed to play in the NBA right off the bat if they are good enough, with full pay for their draft slot. Most of them won't be ready, but a guy like Lebron shouldn't have to waste a year in the G League. Most of the HS prospects will need to play in the G League and it will be better for them than in the 90's and 00's where they sat at the end of the bench and averaged like 2 minutes a game. Just gotta figure out a salary structure that works for everyone, but if every team has a G League team things should be able to be worked out.

eta; Maybe all first round picks get the standard draft slot contract, whether they are playing the G League or the NBA.

Michael Corleone fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 18, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ghost Dog posted:

something that just siphons all the stars so college basketball becomes even more just 5 white dudes crisply chest passing around the perimeter then bricking an open shot as everyone silently, sagely nods on about how its the way its meant to be played would be real sweet

Ah the Princeton offense

I mean, were high schoolers going straight to the NBA that big of a problem? I get there were a few high profile busts but there are plenty of those that went to college too.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

it's a lot better when he isn't happy

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

im pretty sure almost no high school draftees sat at the end of the bench and played 2mpg. the straight outta highschool crowd was been weirdly marketed against so successfully that the narrative even semi informed people fart out goes wildly against the reality of the situation. there was vastly fewer busts, there were far more successes and literally nothing bad came out of HSers in the draft other than the ncaa didnt get a crack at their free labor.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

this is the first time I've seen this and I cannot stop laughing

https://twitter.com/MontaWorldPeace/status/920706014755917824

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ghost Dog posted:

im pretty sure almost no high school draftees sat at the end of the bench and played 2mpg.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/e/ebind01.html

the real answer though is that their first year it's rare for them to meaningfully contribute, and I would assume that's mainly because they're so physically outmatched that it's hard for them to get their rhythm while they adjust to the nba life and start bulking up

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 18, 2017

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
“ I got pasted in the facepiece so hard I had to take a month off work”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's the complete list and as you can see, it's fairly stacked
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_high_school_draftees

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

well in that case send em to the slave mines

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

I was right all along! But I did look it up and guys like Jermaine O'Neal who I think I remember being considered a bust for awhile played like 10 minutes a game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ghost Dog posted:

well in that case send em to the slave mines

well Bobby Portis did just open up a roster slot there

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

im pretty sure almost no high school draftees sat at the end of the bench and played 2mpg. the straight outta highschool crowd was been weirdly marketed against so successfully that the narrative even semi informed people fart out goes wildly against the reality of the situation. there was vastly fewer busts, there were far more successes and literally nothing bad came out of HSers in the draft other than the ncaa didnt get a crack at their free labor.

I'd just rescind the one-year rule, expand the draft to three rounds, and third-rounders get a beefed-up two-way contract that becomes guaranteed/upgraded if they hit certain incentives. If they'd rather go to Europe for more pay the team still retains their rights for a period and can renegotiate down the line.

I'm sure there are tons of issues with this plan I'm just not thinking of

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Athanatos posted:

2006 and 2007 when they ripped his MVPs away from him

┳┻|
┻┳|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻| _
┻┳| •.•) Kobe never had a real MVP season.
┳┻|⊂ノ
┻┳|

at best Kobe was the 4th best player in both the 06 and 07 seasons. Dirk was better than him both years. Check the advanced stats dawg. The year Kobe got his MVP, CP3 was better but the media realized poo poo we better give him one because he is getting old

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 18, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MVP has a narrative component that can't be measured by numbers

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

God I love this

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

lmao

that shade

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Ghost Dog posted:

Yeah it worked fine, but you could say even if most of them turned into good players that their first year in the league, even if they got minutes, they didn't contribute that positively. So without really making a team win in their first season, they attained an additional year of NBA experience, meaning they had access to slightly bigger contracts and payouts over the course of their careers. So I think it was just an anti-labor move by ownership.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
is there somewhere like nbastreams that lets me watch games on demand? theyre usually on too late for me to watch live, its like 1am here

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

The endpoint is a hybrid with the non-American soccer system where you can draft 16 year olds and send them to the g-league but can't bring them up to the main team for 4 years or however long.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

euphronius posted:

MVP has a narrative component that can't be measured by numbers

and that's exactly why Kobe Bryant was able to get one before retiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Bip Roberts posted:

Thanks for the heads up, listening now. Complaining about LeBron Traveling lol

Jaylen Brown was pretty clearly gonna be a very good NBA player as of 1/3rd of the way through last year. I called him the smoothest rookie, he moves and reacts with NBA all-star smooth reflexes.

Tatum really surprised me last night, he looks very promising. He got utterly clowned by LeBron a few times but man, Tatum and Smart and Brown can all jump out of the building

I rewatched the Hayward injury just to watch the Cavs bench get up in terror and cover their faces and run away when they noticed his foot. It's really something.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 18, 2017

• Locked thread