Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

zoux posted:

Drowned the priests or the chickens?

the chickens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well how could they drown them if they couldn't find them?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I assume they found them later, when they weren't supposed to eat

E: After some googling, I'm seeing that I misremembered and it was that they refused to eat, not couldn't be found.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Xerxes17 posted:

This is gonna make me much better at shooting things in War Thunder with my bomber turrets :v:

My favorite part is where they go "yeah, we could show you the math, but we all know you're enlisted guys with maybe some high school and dgaf so here's a rule of thumb. Trust us that some egghead did the figures and this works."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Xerxes17 posted:

This is gonna make me much better at shooting things in War Thunder with my bomber turrets :v:

The ability to see from the gunner's point of view will do a lot more than the current(?) 3rd person garbage.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I really want to see some of those crazy cartoons for how to handle early nuclear weapons. Because I'm very confident they would have made these, although I imagine they'll be classified for a long rear end time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No, ya mug, don't lick the bomb.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Elyv posted:

the chickens

What happened to the foxes left on the shore?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

This is one of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv1yZ6tq3mY

It's a post-war video for occupation troops. Wonderful littler summery of how people explained this poo poo right after the war, great early version of the Sonderweg thesis, and a real good summary of the earliest version of occupation thinking that kind of fell apart within a year.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

canyoneer posted:

It's page 666, tell me about some weird military superstitions, past and present

I'm trying to find decent written sources on Finnish ones, but I read a sadly non-sourced article about them. Supposedly some draftees would, on the last night before departing training, sleep with their guns next to them and say to their gun "from now on like tonight", so that they would not be harmed by bullets. During the Swedish rule some troopers from Estonia were supposedly given magic bags containing ashes from numerous fires by a local wise man, this would make them immune to swords or bullets.

Edit: Found at least one poem/spell from the Finnish archive of old poetry, collected in the 19th century. There were words you were supposed to say when you heard a gunshot and the bullet would then not hit you.
"Pure luoti, ammu toinen,
suolet mehtää, veri perässä
perkele veren perässä."
My translation:
"Bite you bullet, shoot another,
guts to the woods, blood after the guts,
the Devil after the blood."
And the bullet would then miss.

Ataxerxes fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 18, 2017

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's a post-war video for occupation troops. Wonderful littler summery of how people explained this poo poo right after the war, great early version of the Sonderweg thesis, and a real good summary of the earliest version of occupation thinking that kind of fell apart within a year.

Why were they so adamant against fraternizing with civilians?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The ability to see from the gunner's point of view will do a lot more than the current(?) 3rd person garbage.

You only get first-person if you have a single gunner unfortunately.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
My fave is this one:

https://youtu.be/ltVtnCzg9xw

How to Behave in Britain

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

HEY GAIL posted:

it works terribly, you bring a pike into a trench with you so you can stick it out the top and become a abatis

Actually...

Robert Graves posted:

My only part in the raid, which proved very successful, was to make a detailed report of it at Crawshay's request - not the report for divisional headquarters but a page of history to be sent to the depot for filing in regimental records. I noted that for the first time since the eighteenth century the regiment had reverted to the pike; instead of rifle and bayonet, some of the raiders had used butcher's knives secured with medical plaster to the ends of broomsticks. This pike, a lighter weapon than rifle and bayonet, was a useful addition to bombs and revolvers.

(Robert Graves describing an attack by his regiment on enemy trenches during WW1)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I thought I was joking!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pistol_Pete posted:

Actually...

(Robert Graves describing an attack by his regiment on enemy trenches during WW1)

a broomstick comes up to the shoulder, that is a shortspear :colbert:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
It's really only a pike in the poetic sense. Still cool though.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Normally dudes picked much smaller and handier weapons for trench raids, here is a video on the topic by war thread favorite ian mccollum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIGIBJeRfnQ

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

HEY GAIL posted:

a broomstick comes up to the shoulder, that is a shortspear :colbert:

Clearly, it is a poleshank. :ese:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Some of the more superstitious or relgious soldiers in the Napoleonic era would discard any sort of playing cards they had on their person on march or camping before a big battle now.

because God won't catch you if you don't have it on you when you die

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
Part 3 of the war diary of the Finnish 4th Tank Company in Winter War

Previous parts: 1, 2:

Story so far: A complete clusterfuck, just read the previous updates.

06.00: I was able to establish communications with the division. Had a conversation with the division commander, colonel Oinonen. Briefed him on the status of the company and requested that I'd be allowed to conduct some maintenance. Namely, to replace the fuel and clear the fuel pipes from ice. The commander approved my requested and ordered to report immediately once the tanks were ready.

11.00: I received an order from a phone station to contact the division. I tried by phone first, but the connection had been cut again. I managed to find out the location of the division HQ and went there personally.

The division gave the company a new mission: to act as anti-tank assets in the area of lake Rautalampi. We were to cover both of the reads (to Viipuri (Loezi: Viaborg)and Vääräkoski) and also to the direction of Ryövärinsuo swamp. The division emphasized the direction of the swamp. At the same time, I was briefed that the company would be subjected to the 68th Infantry Regiment, commanded my major Roos. The division also ordered that the company would occupy positions prior to reporting to major Roos. After returning to the company, I organized its positions so that it acted as anti-tank defence. I sent two tanks, under the command of reserve sergeant Laurila, to the Viipuri road to the Heponotko area and five tanks under the command of reserve 2nd lieutenant Voionmaa to the area of the Vääräkoski crossroads. (Appendix 6).

The eight tank had to be left for more maintenance. On the evening of 28th of February reserve lieutenant Rönnqvist reported that the tank had burned its bearings and asked for permission to send it for repairs. As I was aware that the sector would switch from a static defence to a fighting retreat, I gladly (Loezi: someone has underlined "gladly" by hand in the archive copy) gave the permission so that the tank would not be left to the Russians due to the engine fault.

Approx. 16.00: I reported to major Roos and briefed him on the positions of the tanks. He approved of the positioning.

Approx. 19.30: Tanks led by res.sgt. Laurila fell back from the Heponotko area. After the friendly infantry fell back, the tanks had covered the retreat of the friendly column and then retreated themselves and pulled with them two anti-tank guns. They fell back to the Vääräkoski crossroads. The detachment closed the "molotov" (Loezi: I have no idea. From context it's probably some kind of a road block? Only heard the word previously in the contexts of "Molotov Bread Baskets", ie. Soviet aerial bombs and "Molotov cocktails" ie. improvised anti-tank weapons made from bottled alcohol/petrol) on the road, slightly west from the place of the word "Turvepehkutehdas", as they knew no more friendly vehicles were between them and the enemy.

21.00: The supply elements moved from the area of the Combat school to the area of Häyry mansion (Loezi: "Mansion" is my best guess, original text again uses an abbreviation -- "Kno" -- I'm not familiar with).

09.00: Company was split into two platoons, of which the one led by 2nd.lt. Voionmaa (4 tanks) stayed at the Vääräkoski crossroads area and the platoon of res.sgt. Laurila (3 tanks) in the direction of the Pero river. (Appendix 7).

The whole day was relatively quiet, for the temperature was just above the freezing point and it rained wet snow and thus the Russians were not especially active.

Approx. 17.00: Forced to release one tank from sgt. Laurila for repairs. The tank was repaired during the night and was combat ready by morning.

17.30: Reserve tanker (Loezi: Private) V. Tulonen was seriously wounded at the Vääräkoski crossroads. Doctor reports that he has been wounded in the stomach and the wound is difficult.

21.00: The supply elements move to the school of Tali.

7.30: Some 4 to 5 Russian tanks arrive at the obstacles. The tank of Lähde fired with its cannon and achieved multiple hits, but only one enemy tank was left behind. Three big 33 ton tanks advanced in the direction of the Viipuri road. Tank of Saarinen fired 3 to 4 times while the tanks were still further away. They still kept advancing. The first Russian tank advanced until it was some 5 to 8 meters away and then turned around without firing. It's likely it had malfunctioned. Corporal Saarinen was unable to extract a shell casing from the gun. The tank fell back from the position, which caused the next Russian tank to appear in sight. This tank advanced all the way to the tank obstacles but then fell back. It was fired at multiple times without hits. Own infantry left the position without permission. The engineers were so enthusiastic about mining that they sealed the road so that the friendly tanks were left between the mine field and the enemy. I gave the permission to draw the tanks further back into new positions on the forest road east of the firing ranges, where they covered the company of lieutenant Vainio, which was still digging in.

Loezi: :finland: :negative:

The Russian tanks however did not attack via this route. Whether it was afraid of the anti-tank obstacles on the road or whether it respected our tanks is a secret (Loezi: :iiam:).

Approx. 14.00: An enemy attack with tanks began from the direction of Ahola towards the nail factory (Loezi: orig. "naulatehdas"). The infantry let sgt. Laurila know that they were falling back, so he too started to slowly fall back behind the infantry. After falling back some time, sgt. Laurila observed some Russian tanks arriving on the same road from the forest in the west. The enemy tanks continued to advance towards the nail factory. The tanks opened fire with cannons and machineguns on the infantry riding the tanks. The Russian tanks did stop when fired upon, but then continued to advance. The tanks intended to return, but noticed that there was no route to safety via Ahola. A large log got between the wheels and the track of cpl. Paaso's tank, completely dislodging the track. Furthermore, the tank was so tilted it could not be fired from. Russian tanks were observed behind, so the crew left the tank. Sgt. Laurila's tank continued its retreat and arrived on the hill on the edge of the nail factory clearing. It observes 6 Russian tanks halted on the road directly ahead of its, and one 33 ton tank in the middle of the clearing. Sgt. Laurila opened fire from behind towards the aforementioned Russian tanks. Reserve corporal Paaso tells me that the road, which they used after the Russian tanks, was full of Russian dead and deduced that since the machinegun had so well hit the infantry, surely the cannon must have also scored hits. Reserve sergeant Laurila, who was wounded in that battle, told me after he returned to friendly lines that at least 6 Russian tanks had been immobilized. (Appendix 8).

The tanks of reserve 2nd lieutenant Voionmaa started to fall back at a late stage, for the Russians were just reaching their intended route of retreat towards Suur-Pero. After falling back, the tanks took new positions in the direction of the road between Parikka and Riita and destroyed at least one Russian tank on the Suur-Pero clearing.

17.00: I detached the tank of res.cpl. Jussila for reparis at the Tali school.

During the day, two tanks were lost. Res.sgt. Laurila was wounded in his hand and reserve tankers M. Laaksonen, E. Roulamo and T. Rajala were lost in action.

Beyond the forementioned, one additional casualty was suffered. Reserve corporal Jaarti had been driving a motorbike wit the intention of contacting res.2nd.lt Voionmaa's platoon. A passanger car coming from behind drove over the motorbike, causing res.cpl. Jaarti to break his leg.

02.00: The supply elements move to Vaakkila.

14.30: I received an order from the 23rd Divisions, according to which the company was being handed over to the 3rd Division. The company was to report in in the city of Viipuri, at the city-side end of the Papula highway bridge at 21.00 hours on the 1st of March, 1940. I briefed group Roos on the order I had received.

14.50: I was ordered to arrange the anti-tank defences in the directions of Heinjoki and Viipuri roads. At the same time, the group ordered that the tanks in the direction of the Viipuri road could be moved back after 17.00 hours, and the tanks in the direction of the Heinjoki road after 17.45 hours. Beyond this, it was reported that the group might use the company until 21.00 hours. (Appendix 9).

I planned that the company would move along the Mainikkala - Viipuri road. This, whoever, was not feasible as at approximately 18.30 hours I received word that two Russian tanks had reached the area of Ukonmäki and captured the artillery battery there. The movement took place along the road Tali - Portinhoikka - Viipuri.

I ordered the supply elements to refuel in Mainikkala. The column, however, did not have any proper fuel and it had to be retrieved from a supply dump. Now, as usual, the dump had moved to another location without letting subordinate units know. The fact that the column did not have any additional fuel was caused by the fact that only 4 to 5 barrels could be retrieved from the dump and it was not enough to store for later.

21.30: I reported to a representative of the 3rd Division on the Papula bridge. I was told to billet the company at the city hospital.

Approx. 23.30: Fuel had been acquired and refueling completed. Company started to move. The march was extremely difficult. Supply columns interrupted the drive. Two tanks, again, displayed motor problems and ignition problems. Attempts to tow them were found impossible with the darkness and the supply column driving the other way.

06.00: First tank arrives in Viipuri.

09.00: Tanks that were left behind to tow arrived. A Russian fighter kept harassing these tanks all the way to the billets. Indeed, the next day the city hospital was bombed both from air and by artillery.

13.00: When reporting in at the 3rd Division, I was told to contact the division anti-tank officer, res.2nd.lt Viitanen, and plan with him the use of the tanks in the division's sector. The company was placed on reserve and billeted in the city of Viipuri.

18.30: The tanks were moved to the garage of Viipurin Autola (Loezi: This seems to be a car mechanics company that apparently still exists). At this point the fourth tank arrived. The fifth tank arrived later during the evening.

Tank maintenance.

Reconnoitred the area with the anti-tank officer of the 7th Infantry Regiment, res.2nd.lt Hämäläinen.

---

Appendix 6:
Original:

Map of area:

Overlaid:

Appendix 7:
Original:

Map of area:

Overlaid:

Appendix 8:
Original:

Map of area:

Overlaid:

Appendix 9:
Original:

Map of area:

Overlaid (Slightly moved the left-bottom position to match map) :

--

One, maybe two updates to go.

Loezi fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 19, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
How much landfighting did the Commonwealth do in Birma/Pacific/India? I thought Brits got rolled in 1942 (?), and then New Zealand happened and... victory?

Warlord Games keep releasing stuff for the theater and I'm interested if there's any reason to collect Chindits/Aussies/whatever and how much action did they see year to year.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

JcDent posted:

How much landfighting did the Commonwealth do in Birma/Pacific/India? I thought Brits got rolled in 1942 (?), and then New Zealand happened and... victory?

Warlord Games keep releasing stuff for the theater and I'm interested if there's any reason to collect Chindits/Aussies/whatever and how much action did they see year to year.

Burma was an active front from '42 through the end of the war. It was a grinding clusterfuck of a hellhole that blocked any possible advance by the Japanese into India, which would have been a bit bad for the commonwealth.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
One of the biggest paperback books I own is about that front, dominating even size to the one about the fighting in Spain in the Napoleonic Wars.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

JcDent posted:

As mentioned above there was a grinding war throughout 1942-45.
Look up the 14th Army and the battles of Kohima and Imphal for a start.

Forgotten Armies by Bayly and Harper is a great overview.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HEY GAIL posted:

Shorter's better on horseback

I've been telling my wife that for years

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

JcDent posted:

Between Burma and Papua New Guinea, quite a lot. There was a whole war of maneuver happening in Burma, with hundreds of thousands of troops on both sides, and New Guinea saw brutal fighting in what is likely to most varied terrain possible to have in any single battle. But both ended up a lot like the Italian campaign in Europe, only more so - forgotten because the fighting continued well after the point where the theaters were rendered strategically irrelevant by events elsewhere. There's also a sense that the Japanese never really had the logistical reach to seriously threaten India or Australia. That last may have been true, but Australia and especially India were absolutely critical to the Allied war effort. They had to be defended and the initial campaigns fought.

Some of the later fighting, though, is more open to criticism. After mid-1943 on New Guinea and after mid-1944 in Burma, the Japanese troops in each theater lacked the resources to mount offensive operations, and had been effectively cut off. In Italy, Kesselring might have been able to move his troops to aid in the defense of Germany if the Allies had backed off. In Burma and New Guinea, the Japanese forces definitely couldn't. So it's harder to justify the continued offensives the Commonwealth armies engaged in.

In the case of Burma, personally I think it's a little too much backseat driving, so to speak. In 1944 it was still not clear what was going to happen in China even after Japan was defeated. While the Japanese forces there couldn't threaten India anymore, the Allies would have really wanted to have Burma if the war got extended in China. Plus the Commonwealth forces were finally winning, and it's tough not to follow up success. There's a lot of post-war critiques that make strong arguments either way, though.

The latter parts of the New Guinea campaign tend to get tied up with whether MacArthur's campaign in the Philippines was necessary, and even I'm not touching that flame war.

EDIT: Meant to hit preview and hit post instead.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 18, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
"how many levels of milhist are you on?"

SeanBeansShako posted:

One of the biggest paperback books I own is about that front, dominating even size to the one about the fighting in Spain in the Napoleonic Wars.
"you are like a little baby. watch this:"
https://books.google.de/books/about/L_arm%C3%A9e_fran%C3%A7aise_de_la_fin_du_XVIIe_s.html?id=c09PAQAAIAAJ&redir_esc=y

(it's the best work of stats that ever was and possibly ever will be. if you give a poo poo about every stats related thing that anyone has ever said about the ancestors of grogs, you got to read this thing)

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

JcDent posted:

New Guinea was an ongoing campaign for almost the entire war as well and saw the Australians and USA Vs Japan in hellish mountainous jungle fighting.

E: f,b

But I will add that Japan launched a huge offensive in China in 1944 that seriously threatened the regime there so Burma was still important to draw off Japanese troops and keep the supply lines open to China .

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 18, 2017

ltkerensky
Oct 27, 2010

Biggest lurker to ever lurk.

Loezi posted:

06.00: I was able to establish communications with the division. Had a conversation with the division commander, colonel Oinonen. Briefed him on the status of the company and requested that I'd be allowed to conduct some maintenance. Namely, to replace the fuel and clear the fuel pipes from ice. The commander approved my requested and ordered to report immediately once the tanks were ready.

11.00: I received an order from a phone station to contact the division. I tried by phone first, but the connection had been cut again. I managed to find out the location of the division HQ and went there personally.

The division gave the company a new mission: to act as anti-tank assets in the area of lake Rautalampi. We were to cover both of the reads (to Viipuri (Loezi: Viaborg)and Vääräkoski) and also to the direction of Ryövärinsuo swamp. The division emphasized the direction of the swamp. At the same time, I was briefed that the company would be subjected to the 68th Infantry Regiment, commanded my major Roos. The division also ordered that the company would occupy positions prior to reporting to major Roos. After returning to the company, I organized its positions so that it acted as anti-tank defence. I sent two tanks, under the command of reserve sergeant Laurila, to the Viipuri road to the Heponotko area and five tanks under the command of reserve 2nd lieutenant Voionmaa to the area of the Vääräkoski crossroads. (Appendix 6).

The eight tank had to be left for more maintenance. On the evening of 28th of February reserve lieutenant Rönnqvist reported that the tank had burned its bearings and asked for permission to send it for repairs. As I was aware that the sector would switch from a static defence to a fighting retreat, I gladly (Loezi: someone has underlined "gladly" by hand in the archive copy) gave the permission so that the tank would not be left to the Russians due to the engine fault.

Approx. 16.00: I reported to major Roos and briefed him on the positions of the tanks. He approved of the positioning.

Approx. 19.30: Tanks led by res.sgt. Laurila fell back from the Heponotko area. After the friendly infantry fell back, the tanks had covered the retreat of the friendly column and then retreated themselves and pulled with them two anti-tank guns. They fell back to the Vääräkoski crossroads. The detachment closed the "molotov" (Loezi: I have no idea. From context it's probably some kind of a road block? Only heard the word previously in the contexts of "Molotov Bread Baskets", ie. Soviet aerial bombs and "Molotov cocktails" ie. improvised anti-tank weapons made from bottled alcohol/petrol) on the road, slightly west from the place of the word "Turvepehkutehdas", as they knew no more friendly vehicles were between them and the enemy.

21.00: The supply elements moved from the area of the Combat school to the area of Häyry mansion (Loezi: "Mansion" is my best guess, original text again uses an abbreviation -- "Kno" -- I'm not familiar with).

09.00: Company was split into two platoons, of which the one led by 2nd.lt. Voionmaa (4 tanks) stayed at the Vääräkoski crossroads area and the platoon of res.sgt. Laurila (3 tanks) in the direction of the Pero river. (Appendix 7).

The whole day was relatively quiet, for the temperature was just above the freezing point and it rained wet snow and thus the Russians were not especially active.

Approx. 17.00: Forced to release one tank from sgt. Laurila for repairs. The tank was repaired during the night and was combat ready by morning.

17.30: Reserve tanker (Loezi: Private) V. Tulonen was seriously wounded at the Vääräkoski crossroads. Doctor reports that he has been wounded in the stomach and the wound is difficult.

7.30: Some 4 to 5 Russian tanks arrive at the obstacles. The tank of Lähde fired with its cannon and achieved multiple hits, but only one enemy tank was left behind. Three big 33 ton tanks advanced in the direction of the Viipuri road. Tank of Saarinen fired 3 to 4 times while the tanks were still further away. They still kept advancing. The first Russian tank advanced until it was some 5 to 8 meters away and then turned around without firing. It's likely it had malfunctioned. Corporal Saarinen was unable to extract a shell casing from the gun. The tank fell back from the position, which caused the next Russian tank to appear in sight. This tank advanced all the way to the tank obstacles but then fell back. It was fired at multiple times without hits. Own infantry left the position without permission. The engineers were so enthusiastic about mining that they sealed the road so that the friendly tanks were left between the mine field and the enemy. I gave the permission to draw the tanks further back into new positions on the forest road east of the firing ranges, where they covered the company of lieutenant Vainio, which was still digging in.

The Russian tanks however did not attack via this route. Whether it was afraid of the anti-tank obstacles on the road or whether it respected our tanks is a secret (Loezi: :iim:).

Approx. 14.00: An enemy attack with tanks began from the direction of Ahola towards the nail factory (Loezi: orig. "naulatehdas"). The infantry let sgt. Laurila know that they were falling back, so he too started to slowly fall back behind the infantry. After falling back some time, sgt. Laurila observed some Russian tanks arriving on the same road from the forest in the west. The enemy tanks continued to advance towards the nail factory. The tanks opened fire with cannons and machineguns on the infantry riding the tanks. The Russian tanks did stop when fired upon, but then continued to advance. The tanks intended to return, but noticed that there was no route to safety via Ahola. A large log got between the wheels and the track of cpl. Paaso's tank, completely dislodging the track. Furthermore, the tank was so tilted it could not be fired from. Russian tanks were observed behind, so the crew left the tank. Sgt. Laurila's tank continued its retreat and arrived on the hill on the edge of the nail factory clearing. It observes 6 Russian tanks halted on the road directly ahead of its, and one 33 ton tank in the middle of the clearing. Sgt. Laurila opened fire from behind towards the aforementioned Russian tanks. Reserve corporal Paaso tells me that the road, which they used after the Russian tanks, was full of Russian dead and deduced that since the machinegun had so well hit the infantry, surely the cannon must have also scored hits. Reserve sergeant Laurila, who was wounded in that battle, told me after he returned to friendly lines that at least 6 Russian tanks had been immobilized. (Appendix 8).

The tanks of reserve 2nd lieutenant Voionmaa started to fall back at a late stage, for the Russians were just reaching their intended route of retreat towards Suur-Pero. After falling back, the tanks took new positions in the direction of the road between Parikka and Riita and destroyed at least one Russian tank on the Suur-Pero clearing.

During the day, two tanks were lost. Res.sgt. Laurila was wounded in his hand and reserve tankers M. Laaksonen, E. Roulamo and T. Rajala were lost in action.

Beyond the forementioned, one additional casualty was suffered. Reserve corporal Jaarti had been driving a motorbike wit the intention of contacting res.2nd.lt Voionmaa's platoon. A passanger car coming from behind drove over the motorbike, causing res.cpl. Jaarti to break his leg.

14.30: I received an order from the 23rd Divisions, according to which the company was being handed over to the 3rd Division. The company was to report in in the city of Viipuri, at the city-side end of the Papula highway bridge at 21.00 hours on the 1st of March, 1940. I briefed group Roos on the order I had received.

14.50: I was ordered to arrange the anti-tank defences in the directions of Heinjoki and Viipuri roads. At the same time, the group ordered that the tanks in the direction of the Viipuri road could be moved back after 17.00 hours, and the tanks in the direction of the Heinjoki road after 17.45 hours. Beyond this, it was reported that the group might use the company until 21.00 hours. (Appendix 9).

I planned that the company would move along the Mainikkala - Viipuri road. This, whoever, was not feasible as at approximately 18.30 hours I received word that two Russian tanks had reached the area of Ukonmäki and captured the artillery battery there. The movement took place along the road Tali - Portinhoikka - Viipuri.

I ordered the supply elements to refuel in Mainikkala. The column, however, did not have any proper fuel and it had to be retrieved from a supply dump. Now, as usual, the dump had moved to another location without letting subordinate units know. The fact that the column did not have any additional fuel was caused by the fact that only 4 to 5 barrels could be retrieved from the dump and it was not enough to store for later.

21.30: I reported to a representative of the 3rd Division on the Papula bridge. I was told to billet the company at the city hospital.

Approx. 23.30: Fuel had been acquired and refueling completed. Company started to move. The march was extremely difficult. Supply columns interrupted the drive. Two tanks, again, displayed motor problems and ignition problems. Attempts to tow them were found impossible with the darkness and the supply column driving the other way.

09.00: Tanks that were left behind to tow arrived. A Russian fighter kept harassing these tanks all the way to the billets. Indeed, the next day the city hospital was bombed both from air and by artillery.

13.00: When reporting in at the 3rd Division, I was told to contact the division anti-tank officer, res.2nd.lt Viitanen, and plan with him the use of the tanks in the division's sector. The company was placed on reserve and billeted in the city of Viipuri.

18.30: The tanks were moved to the garage of Viipurin Autola (Loezi: This seems to be a car mechanics company that apparently still exists). At this point the fourth tank arrived. The fifth tank arrived later during the evening.

Tank maintenance.

Reconnoitred the area with the anti-tank officer of the 7th Infantry Regiment, res.2nd.lt Hämäläinen.

---

Appendix 6:
Original:

Map of area:

Overlaid:

Appendix 7:
Original:

Map of area:

Overlaid:

Appendix 8:
Original:

Map of area:

Overlaid:

Appendix 9:
Original:

Map of area:

--

Thanks, this stuff is madly interesting. Questions:
a) What are the "33 ton tanks"?
b) What anti-tank guns / assets were available for the Finnish tanks?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ltkerensky posted:

Maybe a T-28? Wikipedia lists them at 28 tonnes but that's the only soviet vehicle of that era around that ballpark.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Loezi posted:

The Russian tanks however did not attack via this route. Whether it was afraid of the anti-tank obstacles on the road or whether it respected our tanks is a secret (Loezi: :iim:).

Tank maintenance.

---

Appendix 6:
Original:

Map of area:

Overlaid:

Appendix 7:
Original:

Map of area:

Overlaid:

Appendix 8:
Original:

Map of area:

Overlaid:

Appendix 9:
Original:

Map of area:

--

Really good post thanks.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hitler out!~

e: German history is bad, and it was written by its people

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

ltkerensky posted:

a) They don't specify in the diary but my best guess is a KV-1. Could also be something like a T-28, or one of the many prototype tanks the Soviets tested during the Winter war.

E: Disregard, managed to read 33 as 44. T-28 is the likely answer.

b) Finland had essentially two types of tanks. Half of them were old Renault FT-17s that were dug into ground and used as pillboxes. The other half was Vickers 6-ton tanks equipped with Finnish-made 37 mm Psv.K/36 (L/45) tank guns. The company we are following is literally 90% of the combat capable Finnish armored forces; when it left for the front, there were exactly two armed Vickers tanks in the country that were not with the company.

As for other antitank (non-tank) assets, extremely few anti-tank guns. A theoretical Finnish division would have had 12 anti-tank guns. I believe in reality no division had their full TOE. Also a few Boys anti-tank rifles. Many Russian tanks were literally impervious to both the anti-tank rifles and the Finnish anti-tank guns. In practice, the Finns used anti-tank obstacles, Molotov cocktails and satchel charges. The Finns also managed to capture 123 Russian 45mm antitank guns, which must have also helped a lot towards the end.

E2: Have a picture of some happy Finns posing with a destroyed T-28:

Loezi fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 19, 2017

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fangz posted:

My fave is this one:

https://youtu.be/ltVtnCzg9xw

How to Behave in Britain

The best part of that one is where an old lady talks amiably to a black soldier and the narrator just steps aside and says "Hey, don't freak out, they don't have the same institutionalized racism over here."

Wonder how much that was a problem.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

SlothfulCobra posted:

The best part of that one is where an old lady talks amiably to a black soldier and the narrator just steps aside and says "Hey, don't freak out, they don't have the same institutionalized racism over here."

It was a big problem. Segregation was essentially installed to make Americans happy, but whenever there were unsegregated interactions (especially between Black Americans and White British women) GI's were prone to freaking out and starting fights. The comparatively good level of treatment black servicemen experienced in other countries was a major spur to the civil rights movement since a large number of black activists were veterans who weren't going to go through all that for nothing.

quote:

A later account of the riot, which began on June 24, 1943, stated: “The MPs expected the locals to resent the presence of the blacks but the locals sided with the blacks. The MPs, using racial expletives, returned with two more and tried to frighten the blacks, who fought back with bricks and bottles.”

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 19, 2017

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

SlothfulCobra posted:

25:15 if you wanted to watch a normal conversation.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Disinterested posted:

It was a big problem. Segregation was essentially installed to make Americans happy, but whenever there were unsegregated interactions (especially between Black Americans and White British women) GI's were prone to freaking out and starting fights. The comparatively good level of treatment black servicemen experienced in other countries was a major spur to the civil rights movement since a large number of black activists were veterans who weren't going to go through all that for nothing.

This is true, but it wasn't all perfect on the British side either. You obviously don't have Jim crow bullshit that was leading to attitudes like you describe among the US service members, but British society could still be pretty racist. There was a great BBC article a while ago about a British woman who married a black GI (edit: was a black dude from the Caribbean who went there do to factory work) during the war and she basically became a social pariah. Had to move to a different city and move in with a prostitue because otherwise they got too much poo poo to deal with, had her parish priest refuse to marry them because it wasn't in her best interest, etc.

edit: found it. Great article. They're still a cute couple :3:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-39003902

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_vVV8hRTxgE

I was going to make fun of this but it is actually pretty solid general dating advice that I feel a lot of young men could benefit from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is true, but it wasn't all perfect on the British side either. You obviously don't have Jim crow bullshit that was leading to attitudes like you describe among the US service members, but British society could still be pretty racist. There was a great BBC article a while ago about a British woman who married a black GI (edit: was a black dude from the Caribbean who went there do to factory work) during the war and she basically became a social pariah. Had to move to a different city and move in with a prostitue because otherwise they got too much poo poo to deal with, had her parish priest refuse to marry them because it wasn't in her best interest, etc.

edit: found it. Great article. They're still a cute couple :3:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-39003902

Well I did say comparatively.

But yeah. Also some of the British officers were enthusiastic about the chance to install segregation. A lot of the beneficial treatment black soldiers received seems as much as anything else to stem from ignorance; a lot of ordinary working people would never have met a black man and had very limited negative experience to attach to other races, whereas if you were a member of the colonial class you'd probably already got a pretty strong view about race one way or another. And besides, they were a visiting army assisting in the defence of the UK.

And yeah, a lot of people profess to be not racist but in the context of their daughter/sister marrying a black man, suddenly not so much.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 19, 2017