Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011

Goat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Happy 300th birthday, UGLE !

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Good news: I was installed as Jr. Master of Ceremonies tonight

Bad news: I learned that there is a good chance the GL of my state is going to yank my lodges charter next week because some IRS paperwork was not filled out by the WM.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Cimber posted:

Good news: I was installed as Jr. Master of Ceremonies tonight

Bad news: I learned that there is a good chance the GL of my state is going to yank my lodges charter next week because some IRS paperwork was not filled out by the WM.

Jr. Master of Ceremonies? I'm not sure how that translates to much of American Freemasonry. Sounds like a deacon?

Regarding charter pulling - that sucks. One of the long time brothers in my lodge is a special deputy to another lodge in our area and they're close to having their charter pulled because they refuse to file IRS paperwork and they keep doing sketchy poo poo with their temple board funds.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dick Nipples posted:

Jr. Master of Ceremonies? I'm not sure how that translates to much of American Freemasonry. Sounds like a deacon?
Its not much of anything. I am a proxy to the Sr. Deacon and prepare the candidates for initiation and march them around the room. No speaking parts.

quote:

Regarding charter pulling - that sucks. One of the long time brothers in my lodge is a special deputy to another lodge in our area and they're close to having their charter pulled because they refuse to file IRS paperwork and they keep doing sketchy poo poo with their temple board funds.
Yeah, especially that apparently if the charter is yanked I am in masonic limbo. I cannot demit nor affiliate with another lodge while my mother lodge is in GL's bad graces. I was just frigging raised in April and now this happens?

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So, my folks who are really invested in the cat island, Bahamas community went "exploring" in the deeper old parts of the island one day and found a ruined structure at least 75 to 100 year old noted to me there is a large decrepit square and compass sign in the interior. I'm going to see this for myself but I find this incredibly awesome. My states grand lodge said "lol talk to ugle" in like one fragmented sentence so idk but this is really cool to me, imagine being in a far flung island and coming across a ruined ancient structure built of coral with a giant symbol of our brotherhood hanging in the theshhold.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Yesterday was a pretty exciting occasion, as I was able to take part in raising my best friend of eight years to the sublime degree of Master Mason.

Late response, but awesome news!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Any Ohio guys in this thread? My valley is putting on a 24th degree (brothers of the forest) in an outdoor setting next month.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Emron posted:

Any Ohio guys in this thread? My valley is putting on a 24th degree (brothers of the forest) in an outdoor setting next month.

Huh, today I learned that the Northern states call that degree Brother of the Forest, whereas the Southern states call it Prince of the Tabernacle.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

Huh, today I learned that the Northern states call that degree Brother of the Forest, whereas the Southern states call it Prince of the Tabernacle.

It's WAY different in NMJ as far as I understand it. SMJ is like straight from pike, NMJ is heavy handed allegorical plays based on "historical events."

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

UC Special Task Force Unit Operative

Emron posted:

Where in Ohio? I'm in Cincinnati

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

lone77wulf posted:

Where in Ohio? I'm in Cincinnati

Columbus here.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Visiting Toronto from Amsterdam and of course it is summer and the lodges are dark.
Still, any goon mason in Toronto that can give me a private tour of your lodge building?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Never a dull moment. Now that I am getting married, I can wear a MM ring (I wanted a wedding ring first). Looking for idea's so please share yours?

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
I have two from this guy. These are the nicest masonic rings I have found.

http://www.bodenseeschmiede.com/epages/62310632.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62310632/Products/%22FMRS%20100%22

http://www.bodenseeschmiede.com/epages/62310632.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62310632/Products/886

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

I have two from http://mastersjewel.com. His stuff is all hand made, high quality stuff.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I like the one I got from http://prolinedesigns.com/

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Those are really nice and for me the most affordable as well, he is in the country next to mine.

Thanks for all the links, google just turned up poo poo.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
nice rings from the german guy. The other rings are nice too but i have a problem dropping 2K for a ring.

Only issue with the german rings is payment, i refuse to use paypal since they are a bunch of jerks.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I feel like a 2000 dollar ring would miss the point of our fraternity anyway. If you haven't given at least that much to charity outside the Lodge in the last year, you probably shouldn't be spending your money on what is ultimately nothing more than vanity.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Cimber posted:

nice rings from the german guy. The other rings are nice too but i have a problem dropping 2K for a ring.

Only issue with the german rings is payment, i refuse to use paypal since they are a bunch of jerks.

I have no qualms with paypal, but can help you out if you need to do a direct transfer to him as I am in Europe as well. PM me and we work something out, Br.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Loomer posted:

I feel like a 2000 dollar ring would miss the point of our fraternity anyway. If you haven't given at least that much to charity outside the Lodge in the last year, you probably shouldn't be spending your money on what is ultimately nothing more than vanity.

That's a fair point. I spent nontrivial amounts only because I'm allergic to lovely metal :(

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Last night I had the privilege of helping to initiate a fifth-generation mason and giving him a charge. Moments like that remind me why I'm in the Craft - though the nerves in the room were palpable from us officers. Knowing it's a legacy that's so long and proud, and being beneath the watchful eye of the man's grandfather, amped up the usual 'I hope I do justice to this for the new guy' tension! The smiles from the new bloke and his grandfather at the end of the night made it worth every bit.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Wow! So I came across some amazing family history last night.

It turns out my all the men on my mother's side were Masons (except my grandfather, haha), and we have found some interesting memorabilia when looking through some old files. For example, we have the actual paper where my great-grandfather was admitted to the 33rd degree, and how he was appointed a warden or something. History is neat.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
So I give my first MC lecture tonight.

Here's hoping the weekends I've spent pacing in my room talking to myself translate into a good experience for the candidate.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Was just sponsored for an application into tge Swedish Rite, hopefully I'll hear something in the next few months. They only take two to three people per year into the lodge.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I feel like sharing my experience as a MM in a strange town tonight-
While idling away a layover in San Francisco, I was fortunate enough to stumble across the annual communication for the Grand Lodge of California. The brothers I met kept to the highest standards of fellowship and camaraderie. This my first experience of the wider Masonic brotherhood since my raising and it has really opened my eyes to the reality and great community of Freemasonry. I look forward to entering the Scottish Rite on about 3 weeks with even greater anticipation after this!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Can you tell a bit more? Maybe there is room for improvement for us. If pm that is fine.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Keetron posted:

Can you tell a bit more? Maybe there is room for improvement for us. If pm that is fine.

Not really, I am from out of state, my home lodge is in Omaha, Nebraska. I was just hanging out at a bar and noticed a few of the guys there had masonic rings and were talking about the communication. Struck up a conversation and bam, everyone was carrying on like old pals.
It was just the first sort of social instance of this type I've had since I was raised, Omaha has a really good Masonic population, but I've yet to experience such a extemporaneous event. The individuals I met carried in the best way, and introduced some of the ground-floor concepts of what masonry entails to a coworker I was sitting with, who had expressed interest.

The willingness to rope in a pair of strangers really set me in an impressed mood, and when the group swelled from 3-6 to about 9-13 everyone just kept coming up, saying Hi and asking if I was interested in visiting home lodges. Great experience all around, and seemed like a great bunch of guys. My coworker is headed over to the lodge closest to him in Oakland once the weekend is up to learn more.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

So I give my first MC lecture tonight.

Here's hoping the weekends I've spent pacing in my room talking to myself translate into a good experience for the candidate.

How did it go?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Cimber posted:

How did it go?

It went well! It was in a small lodge, which was beneficial. It's such a good piece of ritual.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Brothers, pray for me. Over the course of the next week I’ll be WM for an MM for the first time, deliver the MM lecture, and be Prince Commander Of The Allegory for the 32nd degree. That’s a lot more memory work in a short period than I’ve done before.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

It went well! It was in a small lodge, which was beneficial. It's such a good piece of ritual.

I'm working on the 1st degre why's and wherefors, and jesus christ some of this stuff is hard to memorize.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Cimber posted:

I'm working on the 1st degre why's and wherefors, and jesus christ some of this stuff is hard to memorize.

It can be really tricky, yeah, but the satisfaction of seeing it all come together is just so worth the hours I spent locked in a room talking to myself. Taking it in chunks is the most important thing.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

It can be really tricky, yeah, but the satisfaction of seeing it all come together is just so worth the hours I spent locked in a room talking to myself. Taking it in chunks is the most important thing.

One section is just so wordy i can't memorize it no matter how many times i stare at the drat thing. It just doesnt make sense.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Cimber posted:

One section is just so wordy i can't memorize it no matter how many times i stare at the drat thing. It just doesnt make sense.

Can you ask someone in your lodge who has memorized it for help? Might be able to adapt one of their techniques.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
One thing that comforted me some, is remembering that every single person in that room - young, old, and all along the education spectrum - everybody has learned those words, and you can too :)

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Are there any goon Masons in NYC? I'm gonna be moving down there next summer, so I'll be looking to join a new lodge. I'm taking my first degree on wednesday in a lodge upstate, and while I like a lot of the guys in the lodge, they're mostly old Republicans. Are there any lodges in the city that have more young people or a bit of an intellectual bent in its focus?

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Take a look at Mariners Lodge #67 in NYC. They look like a seriously fun bunch of brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Just got elected WM...gulp