Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
OK, DW12 era Indy Car flow rate math. The first combination (2x EFR6758 or 1x EFR9180) at the road course boost level, the turbo peak flow was in the 95-100lb/min range, with efficiency of either option dropping off past 60lb/min (modern turbos aren't optimized for low boost). The current sole choice (2x EFR7163) peaks at 120lb/min, with efficiency still dropping off past 65ish lb/min of air. Power figures I've seen are in the 675hp range on road course boost plus 60hp or so with push to pass - that works out to about 80lb/min (1000ish cfm before compression) or about 90lb/min (1100ish cfm) with push to pass.

If you do the math, that works out to about 450hp NA out of a 2.2L V6 which, in TYOOL 2017, seems about right for a conservative race engine that's supposed to have a pretty long life span.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Love the reaction from the guy behind, "yeah, that'll buff out"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mekilljoydammit posted:

OK, DW12 era Indy Car flow rate math. The first combination (2x EFR6758 or 1x EFR9180) at the road course boost level, the turbo peak flow was in the 95-100lb/min range, with efficiency of either option dropping off past 60lb/min (modern turbos aren't optimized for low boost). The current sole choice (2x EFR7163) peaks at 120lb/min, with efficiency still dropping off past 65ish lb/min of air. Power figures I've seen are in the 675hp range on road course boost plus 60hp or so with push to pass - that works out to about 80lb/min (1000ish cfm before compression) or about 90lb/min (1100ish cfm) with push to pass.

If you do the math, that works out to about 450hp NA out of a 2.2L V6 which, in TYOOL 2017, seems about right for a conservative race engine that's supposed to have a pretty long life span.

If I remember right, and I know King Shibby over in SAS can probably confirm (or IoC can either or), they're supposed to last 2500 miles before being allowed to be replaced, barring catastrophic engine failure (like the gearbox deciding to go from 4th to 1st at speed).

I'm only just getting into the technical side of racing. I'm that person who was "FAST CARS WOOO" and now getting into what exactly makes them fast. It's fun.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wistful of Dollars posted:

All it's missing is the Brazzer's logo.

https://i.imgur.com/S6SYSVZ.mp4

:stare:

What even is that thing? It looks like it came straight down rather than falling over. Crossbar for the traffic lights?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

iospace posted:

If I remember right, and I know King Shibby over in SAS can probably confirm (or IoC can either or), they're supposed to last 2500 miles before being allowed to be replaced, barring catastrophic engine failure (like the gearbox deciding to go from 4th to 1st at speed).

I'm only just getting into the technical side of racing. I'm that person who was "FAST CARS WOOO" and now getting into what exactly makes them fast. It's fun.

Yeah, I'm seeing 2500 miles. Kind of a standard thing - Indycar is a lot more concerned about the show than absolute technical prowess so the teams don't want to have to shell out too often.

I'm... uh... 15-20 years into getting into the technical side of racing. ;) A lot of the technical stuff from the older era cars is actually more interesting, since it's sorta gotten to the point where most of the significant stuff has been invented and either banned or become standard.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mekilljoydammit posted:

Yeah, I'm seeing 2500 miles. Kind of a standard thing - Indycar is a lot more concerned about the show than absolute technical prowess so the teams don't want to have to shell out too often.

I'm... uh... 15-20 years into getting into the technical side of racing. ;) A lot of the technical stuff from the older era cars is actually more interesting, since it's sorta gotten to the point where most of the significant stuff has been invented and either banned or become standard.

Yeah, there's a reason for the want to keep costs cheap: ballooning costs was one of the reasons the split happened.

(that, and tobacco money is long gone and NASCAR is sucking up the "big" sponsors)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Actual video, at normal speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVwoELIuAvc

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

iospace posted:

Yeah, there's a reason for the want to keep costs cheap: ballooning costs was one of the reasons the split happened.

(that, and tobacco money is long gone and NASCAR is sucking up the "big" sponsors)

I've seen a lot of different takes on the IRL / CART split - almost all of them focus on personality issues rather than actual costs. CART itself was team owned and the teams had an interest in keeping costs relatively in check.

But yeah, the tobacco money coming out hurt lots of things.

Incidentally, aren't you a Wisconsinite too? The vintage races at Elkhart during the summer are cool and good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It was both - egos and differing opinions on costs. The tobacco money hadn't left yet but there were a lot of people who felt that CART was getting too spendy, too "furriner". I still maintain that the Ilmor 265E / Mercedes 500i / The Beast was the 1000hp straw that broke the camel's back. It was so much better than any other engine at Indianapolis that it would have been a pay to win if it had been legal for 1995. Consider that without even accounting for inflation, the proposed engine lease for the 500i for the only race it could compete in, cost more than a full season engine deal today. And if you didn't have the full season contract for the regular Ilmor engine, you couldn't get your hands on it at all.

Tony George thought he could run it cheaper and cut out the owners, the owners thought they could somehow survive without Indianapolis. Both sides were loving idiots.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mekilljoydammit posted:

I've seen a lot of different takes on the IRL / CART split - almost all of them focus on personality issues rather than actual costs. CART itself was team owned and the teams had an interest in keeping costs relatively in check.

But yeah, the tobacco money coming out hurt lots of things.

Incidentally, aren't you a Wisconsinite too? The vintage races at Elkhart during the summer are cool and good.

Yes I am, and was at the Indy race at RA this year.

Either way, the new Indy cars are awesome car poo poo:
https://twitter.com/qill13/status/895666087370600448

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/f...33/#post2386261

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Holy crap that thing is amazing. Every time I scroll past this little guy, I give it a click and try to figure out how to add it to my stable.
https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1977-amc-hornet-amx-obo/6341623753.html

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Never don't post AMCs.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I saw my old Miata today. It... it's changed a bit :haw:

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Beach Bum posted:

I saw my old Miata today. It... it's changed a bit :haw:

Little blue dune buggy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq5OyumR_1o

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

So. loving. Would.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Which has a better power/weight ratio, that or a Manx buggy?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Because it's so old I bet there's common upgrades people can do to make Beetle 1600s like 70HP and a Manx seems to average about 1400 pounds while the Miata probably weighs 2000 stripped and with a rollbar/fat tires like that, the engine is way more modern so doesn't have super easy and cheap upgrade parts so the stock ~130HP figure seems good to go with.

Manx: ~20 pounds per HP
Baja Miata: ~15.4 pounds per HP.

With effort and money you can get a Beetle engine to the 100+HP range, but you also could do it to a Miata engine to get to the 200+ HP range.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/10/real-life-shooting-ford-gt-austria/

timetofap.jpg

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
what the gently caress am i doing with my life

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BlackMK4 posted:

what the gently caress am i doing with my life

Not driving a Ford GT, obviously.

To be fair, neither am I :smith:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Wistful of Dollars posted:

All it's missing is the Brazzer's logo.

https://i.imgur.com/S6SYSVZ.mp4

:stare:

I always wondered when the poles would get back at the Germans.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

STOP! I CAN ONLY GET SO ERECT!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I always wondered when the poles would get back at the Germans.

:drat:

Edit: To add more Pole-related content, the Polestar 1 officially launched its website: https://www.polestar.com/polestar-1 Still pretty light on details, though.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 18, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Guinness posted:

:drat:

Edit: To add more Pole-related content, the Polestar 1 officially launched its website: https://www.polestar.com/polestar-1 Still pretty light on details, though.

Holy gently caress, i love it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dagen H posted:

Never don't post AMCs.

Ok!
My favorite, the AMC AMX GT concept.

Pretty much my idea of perfection.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

El Laucha posted:

Love the reaction from the guy behind, "yeah, that'll buff out"

lol

also not sure if i posted this yet or not but the shop near me is working on a cool frankenstein project:

phone posting so sorry if resolutions are weird

iirc the engine was pulled from an S2000 (f22?)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Thief posted:

lol

also not sure if i posted this yet or not but the shop near me is working on a cool frankenstein project:

phone posting so sorry if resolutions are weird

iirc the engine was pulled from an S2000 (f22?)

I have to admit I never considered an S2000 swap into a 240Z before. Now I will have trouble not thinking about it constantly.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is that a turbo tucked down there? It's an F22 going on the cluster and valve cover, but some people convert the F20 to use the F22 electronic poo poo (which involves swapping the valve cover) so they can use KPro.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 18, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Nah,, looks like a catalytic converter. You can kinda see the heat shielding around it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That header design is hosed then

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Wasabi the J posted:

Ok!
My favorite, the AMC AMX GT concept.

Pretty much my idea of perfection.

Early Javelin/AMX front, Gremlin-ish kammback, and bigass side-pipes?

gently caress yeah.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

BlackMK4 posted:

That header design is hosed then

That's because they're dumping the exhaust just behind the right front wheel.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
No matter where they dump it, the 180 degree bend right after the collector isn't a good choice. I'd have turned it the other way and just cut out the firewall and made a box. Dump it out the passenger door. Or just go straight out in front of the tire from where it is.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
yeah, pretty sure the intention behind this build is just to experiment with "what if" stuff they've never tried doing or seen others in the area do before.

they deal with a lot of common engine swaps like SR20s into 240sx's and LS/bmw v8s into whatever the customer wants and i think the owner is just doing this to amuse himself rather than push for direct performance

seen some serious rx7s, 350zs and even Corvettes in their back lot so i doubt they care too much about taking this thing to the track regularly but i'll ask next time i'm around

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The F motor is really picky about the header design, most aftermarket ones lose power over stock. The ones that do make actual power are 4-2-1 and have pretty long unequal length (between pairs) primaries and secondaries.

Just a high flow cat allows VTEC to be dropped to the 4.5k area and makes pretty substantial midrange gains. (Basically you do two dyno runs - one with vtec on and one with it off, where they intersect is where you place the vtec engagement)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 18, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Brace yourselves.

I know know exactly what i want in a car.

Riveted aluminum body
Articulating
8x8

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Brace yourselves.

Riveted aluminum body
Articulating
8x8

You know, if you reinforced the poo poo out of that rear access door, you could get a fifth wheel hitch on that thing...

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Powershift posted:

Brace yourselves.

Riveted aluminum body
Articulating
8x8

This looks like something out of Fallout and I want it to be nuclear powered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Apparently you can buy this F1 engine for $12k.