Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
LastPass secure notes have stopped working on their W10M app. Migration urgency is escalating quickly for me.

This has easily been a worse customer experience than Sega 32X and Saturn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Get a Nokia. Cheapish android phones tend to have awful android skins while newer nokia phones are clean of poo poo with fast OS updates.

Careful, we don't really know how they're going to update their phones. Plenty of Android oems have promised updates that never arrived. That said, a cheap Nokia or cheap Moto (G5+ or dirt cheap E4) are definitely the worthwhile cheap Android phones.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RVProfootballer posted:

Careful, we don't really know how they're going to update their phones. Plenty of Android oems have promised updates that never arrived. That said, a cheap Nokia or cheap Moto (G5+ or dirt cheap E4) are definitely the worthwhile cheap Android phones.

The 32gig/3gig RAM G5S Plus just came out from Motorola and is like, $230 unlocked for the next week I think. It's a great phone if the regular G5 Plus (which I own) is to go off of.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I missed on an offer from my carrier (I'm going to need a new tablet) wich consisted in a Moto G5S and a Lenovo 10" tablet for 5€/month (24 month duration) wich was a fantastic deal and that G5S is a big upgrade for my wife's Huawei P8 Lite.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

The 32gig/3gig RAM G5S Plus just came out from Motorola and is like, $230 unlocked for the next week I think. It's a great phone if the regular G5 Plus (which I own) is to go off of.

My dad got one of those recently and I helped him set it up. Seemed like a quality phone from the hour or so I was playing with it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Guillermus posted:

I missed on an offer from my carrier (I'm going to need a new tablet) wich consisted in a Moto G5S and a Lenovo 10" tablet for 5€/month (24 month duration) wich was a fantastic deal and that G5S is a big upgrade for my wife's Huawei P8 Lite.

Of course I just bought a G5 Plus the other day and thought "huh... the only thing lacking is the camera."

It's good just not great. Then like, 2 months after I got my G5 Plus Moto is like "oh hey here's your phone with a better camera!"

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Apparently something broke internally, so the micro-USB port can't be replaced. RIP my trusty old 820. :smith:

Decided to settle for a Motorola G5, which seems all right so far (while I wait for a nano-sized SIM card so I don't have to rely on WiFi, ugh). I'll definitely need some time getting used to how Android - or at least Motorola's implementation of it - is set up, though. Also the one Dutch voice pack for Google Maps can gently caress right off so it's a good thing HERE's on Android as well.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sombrerotron posted:

Apparently something broke internally, so the micro-USB port can't be replaced. RIP my trusty old 820. :smith:

Decided to settle for a Motorola G5, which seems all right so far (while I wait for a nano-sized SIM card so I don't have to rely on WiFi, ugh). I'll definitely need some time getting used to how Android - or at least Motorola's implementation of it - is set up, though. Also the one Dutch voice pack for Google Maps can gently caress right off so it's a good thing HERE's on Android as well.

Your current sim card can just be cut to fit.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

LastPass secure notes have stopped working on their W10M app. Migration urgency is escalating quickly for me.

This has easily been a worse customer experience than Sega 32X and Saturn.

this product line has been dead even internally in the company since 2014. I'm rather shocked some people couldn't see the writing on the wall.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
But but didn't they release Windows Phone 8.1 in 2014? I still thought they had a chance to be a small but viable third platform back then. Though I did move back to Android onto the Moto G 1st gen running Android 4.4, which was so much more advanced than 8.1 it was embarrassing.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Your current sim card can just be cut to fit.
You're right and I actually tried that first, but long story short, it was a bit too fiddly to cut close enough to the actual chip so that it'd go into the really narrow Motorola's SIM slot without actually damaging the chip/getting the card permanently stuck, so I decided to play it safe and just order a new one. It's arrived now, so no harm done.

Anyway since I'm so behind the times, are there any particular differences between WP 8.1 and Android 7 I should be aware/take advantage of? I've briefly toyed with a few other Android devices before, but apart from the software support and the (admittedly very convenient) ability to connect to Chromecast I don't really recall being struck by the presence/quality of any specific features.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sombrerotron posted:

Anyway since I'm so behind the times, are there any particular differences between WP 8.1 and Android 7 I should be aware/take advantage of?
Do not disturb automatic schedule rules was a thing that struck me when I made that very transition a month or so ago. They can also be based on Google calendar events.

On the flip side, if you did rely on calendar events giving you reminders before, marvel at how poo poo Android is at giving you them at the correct (exact) time. Everywhere between 5 and 30 minutes late isn't out of the ordinary and the only fix is using a calendar app that shoehorns itself into the alarms part of android instead of using the botched calendar storage.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

How long will Microsoft keep the app servers and such? Kinda thinking on selling my 640XL before this catches up and loses (even more) value.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

On the flip side, if you did rely on calendar events giving you reminders before, marvel at how poo poo Android is at giving you them at the correct (exact) time. Everywhere between 5 and 30 minutes late isn't out of the ordinary and the only fix is using a calendar app that shoehorns itself into the alarms part of android instead of using the botched calendar storage.

Literally never had this happen, or heard of it being a common problem. You use Google Calendar and set the notification time to x minutes? What phone?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

RVProfootballer posted:

Literally never had this happen, or heard of it being a common problem. You use Google Calendar and set the notification time to x minutes? What phone?
Moto G5+, but it doesn't matter. You can find reports of this going back to Lollipop, when Doze was introduced. It being not that widespread is probably the reason it'll never get fixed unless the calendar store gets overhauled for other reasons. Fun fact, regular other calendar apps all use the same calendar store component, so it doesn't matter whether you use Google Calendar or Outlook Calendar or something strictly local either. Phone reset doesn't help. Excluding apps from Doze doesn't help. Alarms though, they are on time, so it's not something that inherently can't be done. But they don't use the calendar store.

I've seen it come up in one of the Android threads here and you get one or two people chiming in. I'm overreacting by telling someone this is flat out what to expect and I frankly shouldn't be surprised that plenty of people never heard of it either. It's hard to get an impression of how common something like that is, and when you're researching it, well, obviously it will seem like everyone is affected since they're all talking about it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Flipperwaldt posted:

Moto G5+, but it doesn't matter. You can find reports of this going back to Lollipop, when Doze was introduced. It being not that widespread is probably the reason it'll never get fixed unless the calendar store gets overhauled for other reasons. Fun fact, regular other calendar apps all use the same calendar store component, so it doesn't matter whether you use Google Calendar or Outlook Calendar or something strictly local either. Phone reset doesn't help. Excluding apps from Doze doesn't help. Alarms though, they are on time, so it's not something that inherently can't be done. But they don't use the calendar store.

I've seen it come up in one of the Android threads here and you get one or two people chiming in. I'm overreacting by telling someone this is flat out what to expect and I frankly shouldn't be surprised that plenty of people never heard of it either. It's hard to get an impression of how common something like that is, and when you're researching it, well, obviously it will seem like everyone is affected since they're all talking about it.

I have had several Motos and Android phones including a Moto G5+ and that's literally never happened to me once. And I rely on Google Calendar multiple times a day.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Windows Phone Thread: Your One-Stop Shop For Leaving Windows

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

BonoMan posted:

I have had several Motos and Android phones including a Moto G5+ and that's literally never happened to me once. And I rely on Google Calendar multiple times a day.
Well, I'm very happy for you.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Guillermus posted:

How long will Microsoft keep the app servers and such? Kinda thinking on selling my 640XL before this catches up and loses (even more) value.

At least June 2019.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh well, plenty of time then. I'll trade it up soon and my old 925 will die in my mom's hands before that happens.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I've had my Moto G5+ since late May and I miss my Windows Phone so much. It's the little things, like the dashboard interface, my alarm sounds, the camera, and the fact that I can't just immediately swipe to check a picture that I've just taken. :sigh:

A hybrid between my Lumia 950 and my Moto G5+ would be perfectly ideal, but alas.

edit: I also miss my old phone case :smith:

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
I almost bought a Moto g5 plus as well but shelled out the extra $100 to get a Z Play. Motorolla seems to have near stock Android that runs smoothly and their phones (except the super high end) have really good battery life.

The new Microsoft launcher (formerly arrow launcher) is really nice for Android. Wish it had live tiles though.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Zarfol posted:

I almost bought a Moto g5 plus as well but shelled out the extra $100 to get a Z Play. Motorolla seems to have near stock Android that runs smoothly and their phones (except the super high end) have really good battery life.

The new Microsoft launcher (formerly arrow launcher) is really nice for Android. Wish it had live tiles though.

I just wish Android wasn't a garbage fire update wise unless you buy a Pixel :(

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Would anyone know how to add songs to a playlist in VLC (the "main" W10 app with the EQ in settings, not VLC for Windows Phone).

My poor Zune needs a battery replacement and I transferred my music to my phone in the meantime, but it lacks the "punch" the Zune has if I use Groove Music. It sounds better if I mess with the EQ in VLC, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to import my playlist or add songs to a new one.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

After being on Android for about a week now, I'm finding that I miss having all the relevant virtual buttons (except for maybe the obligatory menu/options button at the top left of the screen) at the bottom. Why's everything distributed between the bottom and top of the screen? Being accustomed to WP 8.1 no doubt affects my overall experience at the moment, but Android's layout seems less user-friendly and intuitive to me regardless.

Too bad these custom launchers don't affect the entire phone's entire UI, the one that mimics Metro isn't half bad.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Sombrerotron posted:

After being on Android for about a week now, I'm finding that I miss having all the relevant virtual buttons (except for maybe the obligatory menu/options button at the top left of the screen) at the bottom. Why's everything distributed between the bottom and top of the screen? Being accustomed to WP 8.1 no doubt affects my overall experience at the moment, but Android's layout seems less user-friendly and intuitive to me regardless.

Too bad these custom launchers don't affect the entire phone's entire UI, the one that mimics Metro isn't half bad.

Try swiping in from the left when you're in apps, often that brings up the menu or options.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Try swiping in from the left when you're in apps, often that brings up the menu or options.
This seems to vary a lot, even among basic, bog-standard Android applications. Sometimes it just seems like the designers didn't even consider really simple solutions. Or even how these interfaces usually work. For example, if I'm adding a new contact or editing an existing one, and then press the back button, it asks me whether I want to continue working on the contact or "cancel" - which in this instance actually means "confirm action", i.e. discard the contact/changes, rather than "cancel discard" as you might expect if you're used to PC software (like the majority of the modern populace). It's beyond me why they didn't just add a "save and exit" option, like basically every normal program you'd ever use on a computer.

I mean, it's not a huge deal adjusting to such oddities, but I find it a little perplexing that there are such oddities to begin with.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Sombrerotron posted:

This seems to vary a lot, even among basic, bog-standard Android applications. Sometimes it just seems like the designers didn't even consider really simple solutions. Or even how these interfaces usually work. For example, if I'm adding a new contact or editing an existing one, and then press the back button, it asks me whether I want to continue working on the contact or "cancel" - which in this instance actually means "confirm action", i.e. discard the contact/changes, rather than "cancel discard" as you might expect if you're used to PC software (like the majority of the modern populace). It's beyond me why they didn't just add a "save and exit" option, like basically every normal program you'd ever use on a computer.

I mean, it's not a huge deal adjusting to such oddities, but I find it a little perplexing that there are such oddities to begin with.

A good part of this comes from legacy. Basically every major Android version has changed up the UI design and UI widgets in often major ways. Since there are a huge amount of devices out there running older versions like 4.x and 5.x; developers have to write their app to target older API versions, otherwise their app won't run on these devices. But this also leaves their app using the UI widgets and design for older Android versions. Unless they put in quite a bit of work to write their own custom UI stuff. So you end up with apps that are all over the place.

Also doesn't help that just about every Android device manufacturer thinks they have to completely re-theme the OS as well. (Except for Motorola and Pixel branded devices; they leave the OS largely stock).

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Any guesses on how many years until MS announces its bold reentry into the mobile scene?

I'm thinking 3 years

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

stevewm posted:

Also doesn't help that just about every Android device manufacturer thinks they have to completely re-theme the OS as well. (Except for Motorola and Pixel branded devices; they leave the OS largely stock).
As mentioned previously, I have a Motorola G5 now, so uh :chome:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

The Glumslinger posted:

Any guesses on how many years until MS announces its bold reentry into the mobile scene?

I'm thinking 3 years
Could be as early as the end of the month given how Windows 10 on ARM is looking, but no way in hell am I coming back for awhile unless my Pixel 2 is busted.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

its tough for microsoft. A new entry to a market would normally rely on their diehards for a boost. I suspect microsoft's diehards may be, uhhhh, less inclined to jump in this time around. I say this as an owner of a samsung focus, lumia 900, 920, 930, 950xl and 1020. Oh as well as a surface rt, surface 3 and surfacebook.

Yeah, i'm on android now and until my pixel dies i'm staying there.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If they can turn mobile on its head like they did with Surface/Book/Studio they have a shot but sucess is years of iteration away and it would probably still need an Android runtime. Now if that runtime had proper sandboxing... well, Google would just lock them out of Play so I dunno.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I'm pretty much ready for a portable pocket computer that also does phone stuff. So tired of all phones having some kind of compromise. I still contend that Windows phone had the best email/calendar/contacts/assistant UI or integration of all devices. Since I've moved to Android I feel like more of a jumbled mess and no system I come up with works as well as stock Windows phone. :( I wish MS would do a full Android fork like Amazon or something.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It may be because I've been with Android since 2.1 but nowadays and unless you buy a phone with a lovely android skin (don't do this), I don't see this "jumbled mess" people talk about android. Even my time with WP, I worked with both google and microsoft accounts on both systems and worked nicely. There's no way to defend MS apps on their own system when outlook works better on android, or even OneDrive app is worse on WP8.1 and 10.

For those still on the fence about jumping to android, Nokia or Moto G5(S/+) have android with no bullshit around, really clean and you can just slap a launcher and make it look like a WP.

I really wanted to see WP 10 succeed but Microsoft kept shooting themselves with lovely management and lack of interest. They've done that with an even bigger market wich are videogames and if they just didn't gave up with the xbox one is because I'm sure that at least, they have more interest, money and human resources behind it.

If MS comes back to phones with a full fledged Windows 10 device, they will go "HEY IT'S ME, MICROSOFT AND THIS IS OUR 1000$ WINDOWS 10 PHONE", then everyone will just look away.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Having switched to a Pixel 2 this morning it's almost offensive that Microsoft Launcher is so bad compared to the WP8/W10M home screen. Copy your own design language or at least have an option for it!

Everything else is pretty good apart from the fact you're not allowed to disable GMail for the Google account you sign in with.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Android is alright apart from all the Google. It's embarrassing how much better my Band 2 works with Pixel 2 compared to my 950 (save having to force quit the app once when comms broke).

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 23, 2017

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
After five years on Windows Phone and eight on Blackberry before that I really feel like there's still a market for a phone OS with on-device security/privacy to match iOS and Android's flexibility to replace the app ecosystem (or at least use services not tied to one platform). Between Apple's lovely software and Google's ravenous appetite for private data there has to be a better way.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You just complained in the Android Phone thread that you could access the dialer from the lockscreen (emergency calls anyone?) on android and all the security stuff and data gathered by google like microsoft and apple don't do that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

A) get the phone
B) immediately uninstall any and everything you won't use
C) turn off everything you can't uninstall
D) populate with the apps and services you do want/trust

and then maybe

E) overcome your mental and emotional challenges