Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The tap angle in ARENA looks more like 15 degrees than 45.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I absolutely guarantee that little tap will not be the final visual display of tapping.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

The best we've had in a while is "begrudgingly playable in a draft deck." We haven't even had *good* limited fodder equipment in a while.

Uhh Renegade Freighter? Untethered express? Vehicles are basically reverse equipment that set the creature's P/T to an explicit value rather than augmenting them by a specific value.

Anyways good equipment really tends to unbalance limited since it allows each of your drops to trade up with theirs over and over.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Balon posted:

If I have tapped a permanent it's at 45 degrees. If an outside source has tapped a permanent it's at 90 degrees. All clockwise of course.

What. Why. Just...why.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I love the idea of it but Arena looks like poo poo right now. They need to completely redesign the battlefield, starting with the camera angle.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Uhh Renegade Freighter? Untethered express? Vehicles are basically reverse equipment that set the creature's P/T to an explicit value rather than augmenting them by a specific value.

Anyways good equipment really tends to unbalance limited since it allows each of your drops to trade up with theirs over and over.
Absolutely. If you look at something as innocuous as Vulshok Morning Star (A flat +2/+2 for equip of 2), it basically turns a lovely 1 drop into something that can kill most 3-4 drops in combat, it turns 1 or two power fliers from an annoyance into a serious clock.

it's why you see equipment that gives +3 or more to power at rare or with a downside. It's also why equipment that just give your creature a ton of non-evasive keywords are unplayable.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Katana Gomai posted:

I love the idea of it but Arena looks like poo poo right now. They need to completely redesign the battlefield, starting with the camera angle.

What is wrong with the camera angle?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah, tbf it was originally shown at 45 degrees. Nowadays it's a full 180 but people are too lazy and just do 90.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Everyone knows that symbol means "tear" but kids these days are too attached to their moxen to so it like we used to back in the good old days.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

I think it looks great. I also see nothing wrong with the camera angle. I play mtgo and xmage a lot and those programs look like dogshit compared to this, or eternal, or hearthstone.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm not quite sure in what way, but the angle or overall view of the board seems a bit off for me. The latest Duels release was more readable to me (and I think it's more than just the switch from full cards).

But it's a question of polish, that I'm sure they will get right before the actual release.

I swore off Mtg digital products after how unceremoniously they dumped Duels and its playerbase, but I'm getting a pavlovian reaction seeing gameplay of a similar product.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 18, 2017

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
There was an entire stream on this tapping issue, which show the other alternatives. After seeing them in action, I'm willing to accept that the small tap is best. 90 degrees doesn't work with or without full card sizes and 45 degrees is questionable:

https://youtu.be/QIvWETsfUpA

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheDemon posted:

There was an entire stream on this tapping issue, which show the other alternatives. After seeing them in action, I'm willing to accept that the small tap is best. 90 degrees doesn't work with or without full card sizes and 45 degrees is questionable:

Not watching the video tight now, what would be the issue with 90 degrees if they were using full cards?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheDemon posted:

I jumped around and it was around 11:00 where they start talking about it and it looks like rear end when it's at 90 degrees. Now I wish magic cards were in the square 70x70mm size, which is the cool board game card size (aside from tarot).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There's no reason you need to rotate the cards at all, all you're trying to do is indicate that a card has already been used this turn. Yes, rotating them is the best way to do that in a physical card game, but once you go digital you have other options.

Dimming the card is a really good choice. Adding a slight rotation helps make the connection with tapping for people who are familiar with the physical game, while still keeping the cards mostly-upright so you can read and recognize them.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The only thing I actually care about is that they just give up and copy the turn-step bar and stop system from MTGO. It's the one good thing about the program.

I can't even tell whether they're in pre-combat or post-combat main phase watching the demos so far.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jabor posted:

There's no reason you need to rotate the cards at all, all you're trying to do is indicate that a card has already been used this turn. Yes, rotating them is the best way to do that in a physical card game, but once you go digital you have other options.

Dimming the card is a really good choice. Adding a slight rotation helps make the connection with tapping for people who are familiar with the physical game, while still keeping the cards mostly-upright so you can read and recognize them.

Might just be better to abstract the mana system into a bunch of bars/pools at that point. I think the current implementation looks overly cluttered.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Late but you guys are really serious about the jace/vraska otp. I haven't seen shipping this intense since ATLA.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am starting to feel uncomfortable seeing the guy's socks. Dude must be wearing flood waters

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rinkles posted:

Might just be better to abstract the mana system into a bunch of bars/pools at that point. I think the current implementation looks overly cluttered.

Yeah, that would be way better if you could re-do the rules of the game (and making a more digital-friendly mana system is something pretty much every other digital CCG attempts). But Magic is kind of stuck with tracking every land separately.

But changing how you represent tapped vs. untapped can be done without actually changing any of the rules of the game, and can still result in big improvements in how pleasant it is to actually play.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Jabor posted:

Magic Arena is awesome and I got invited to go draft at an FNM tonight.

What do you mean you have to turn the card sideways to tap it?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Rinkles posted:

Not watching the video tight now, what would be the issue with 90 degrees if they were using full cards?

Full cards are unreadable and look like rear end, and turning them 90 degrees causes serious issues with screen space in addition to making them even more unreadable. It basically turns the game from this fairly modern digital card game back into MTGO.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Some Numbers posted:

What. Why. Just...why.

For clarity of course. If i need to step back and determine what happened earlier in the turn or last turn or we're reconciling life totals - knowing if I attacked with something or if it was tapped, of if I should have an untapped land or not is very clear.

Its easy enough to do and doesn't always need to be done but adds some clarity for players, judges, etc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheDemon posted:

Full cards are unreadable and look like rear end, and turning them 90 degrees causes serious issues with screen space in addition to making them even more unreadable. It basically turns the game from this fairly modern digital card game back into MTGO.

Idk what the best solution is, but to me what they're going with doesn't look great. Might be because I'm not conditioned to the Hearthstone look.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yeah I went into it expecting nothing but that video did a pretty good job of selling the way they have it configured right now. I'm also a lot more confident about the overall competence after listening to that game director talk for a bit

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

sit on my Facebook posted:

Yeah I went into it expecting nothing but that video did a pretty good job of selling the way they have it configured right now. I'm also a lot more confident about the overall competence after listening to that game director talk for a bit

Yeah it's pretty clear they're aware that hearthstone and modo's shittiness represent a long term lethal threat to their existence. I really hope they're able to execute.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Late but you guys are really serious about the jace/vraska otp. I haven't seen shipping this intense since ATLA.

extremely invested in my boy jace dipping his staff in vraska's cobra hood

E: more seriously the story summaries I've read instead of the actual stories don't sound bad at all, romance aside, and I really liked Vryn in Origins so if this is hinting at going there, I'll be happy

Jen X fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 19, 2017

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Her anaconda don't...

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Balon posted:

If I have tapped a permanent it's at 45 degrees. If an outside source has tapped a permanent it's at 90 degrees. All clockwise of course.

If something is tapped and doesn't untap it's at 90 degrees counter clockwise.

E: lands belong in descending stacks of 3, matching. All unmatched lands are separated individually.

I could live with this.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

You are a model of restraint for not silently reaching across the table, turning his lands sideways, removing the bead, and flicking it at his head.

Eating the bead is a much better display of dominance.

I don't know how I feel about this draft format. I was watching a draft video in which a guy drafted a perfect vampire deck, then got destroyed by a siren lookout + cutlass + mark of the vampire.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Eating the bead is a much better display of dominance.

I don't know how I feel about this draft format. I was watching a draft video in which a guy drafted a perfect vampire deck, then got destroyed by a siren lookout + cutlass + mark of the vampire.

that owns

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Vampire feels like the easiest archetype to draft, but also the most fragile. It eats massive poo poo to Firey Cabnonade and Raging Swordtooth, and has to lean on removal p.hard to deal with threats since you're going wide with a lot of 2/2s and basically 1/1 cat tokens that don't have a caracal to pump them.

If you can get some dependable lifelink to offset jamming in with an unkillable Adanto Vanguard or two though you feel fuckin' invincible.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

blue/white flyin vamps is a pretty sweet archetype

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The tribal archetypes feel so forced I want to start trying to break the mold to spite them.

I want to live the dream... Of drafting the B/G Chubacabra/Deadeye Tracker/wuldgrowth elemental Exploration deck.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Sickening posted:

What is wrong with the camera angle?

I'm not gonna go digging for a screenshot but the way the screen is angled causes the cards to look really awkward on your opponent's side (due to the trapezoid scaling) and they're just wasting a ton of screen real estate in general. Hearthstone and Eternal both look amazing, if they're going as far as to change how tapping works because it's a digital game, they shouldn't insist on making the rest of it resemble a virtual tabletop, either. Just make it top-down and have my cards be the same size as my opponent's.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I want to try this deck out, but before I spend money on it, is it somehow crazy or would it work on a FNM level? Basically, deck is built around grinding people down with lifegain to fuel cards from Arguel's Blood Fast.

Deck: WB Blood Fast

//Lands
4 Aether Hub
4 Concealed Courtyard
4 Evolving Wilds
1 Hostile Desert
3 Ifnir Deadlands
3 Plains
2 Shefet Dunes
2 Swamp

//Spells
2 Aethersphere Harvester
3 Arguel's Blood Fast
1 Cast Out
4 Fatal Push
3 Legion's Landing
2 Settle the Wreckage

//Creatures
2 Crested Sunmare
4 Gifted Aetherborn
3 Glint-Sleeve Siphoner
4 Glory-Bound Initiate
2 Kinjalli's Sunwing
2 Regal Caracal
4 Sacred Cat
1 Scrapheap Scrounger

//Sideboard
1 Cast Out
4 Duress
2 Gonti, Lord of Luxury
1 Kinjalli's Sunwing
2 Scrapheap Scrounger
2 Settle the Wreckage
2 Supernatural Stamina
1 Vona, Butcher of Magan

Display deck statistics

Apologies for sudden decklist, but the brewhaus thread is basically dead.
e: oops, that's not the most up-to-date version. One sec...
e2: fixed

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 19, 2017

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Oh, I'm not completely innocent, I was rather passive aggressive and snarky with him and he got pretty irritated with me.

If it had been anything other than a casual, free event, with anything even resembling rules enforcement, there's no way I would have let that fly.
As long as you aren't on cam, it should be legal. I used to use the beads tapping as an example of weird buckfuck things you can do within the rules. Like lands in front.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

As long as you aren't on cam, it should be legal. I used to use the beads tapping as an example of weird buckfuck things you can do within the rules. Like lands in front.

the way that dude was specifically doing it would make it hella eay to "accidently" put the bead one land off since its harder to parse a single stack quickly

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Katana Gomai posted:

I'm not gonna go digging for a screenshot but the way the screen is angled causes the cards to look really awkward on your opponent's side (due to the trapezoid scaling) and they're just wasting a ton of screen real estate in general. Hearthstone and Eternal both look amazing, if they're going as far as to change how tapping works because it's a digital game, they shouldn't insist on making the rest of it resemble a virtual tabletop, either. Just make it top-down and have my cards be the same size as my opponent's.

I'm most interested in seeing how a grindy midrange board stall game plays out on Arena, Hearthstone has a hard limit to the number of permanents you can have on the battlefield, can't wait to see what happens when each player has 10 creatures and is also making GBS threads out tokens every turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think it's awful. And it's not an outlier.

Some people in the thread were saying bad removal will mean slow, dino dominated battlefields. Instead we have this.